"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5341
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:07 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:27 pm

LightBing wrote:Cooler breakdown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4D4NqkTYBo
That's actually a really good breakdown and that's only possible when you have good players doing it.
I'm glad they didn't bring Rhymestyle to this one.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

User avatar
DarkPrince_92
I Live Here
Posts: 3358
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:09 pm
Location: Glendale, CA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:16 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
LightBing wrote:Cooler breakdown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4D4NqkTYBo
That's actually a really good breakdown and that's only possible when you have good players doing it.
I'm glad they didn't bring Rhymestyle to this one.

I literally only watch Maximilian Dood for the breakdowns. Runner ups are Berudy or Jmcrofts. Solid breakdowns from fighting gamers.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. Instagram

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

User avatar
Mugman
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:18 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Mugman » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:57 am

LightBing wrote:Cooler breakdown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4D4NqkTYBo

Really liking what I'm seeing. I don't remember they mentioning it but he can pass through beams like in the movie.
Man he looks cool. I'm actually really excited for Cooler, I don't think I'll put him on my main team but I'll for sure mess around with him. He looks really really fun, doesn't have the best utility but honestly it's still good and I think he's a solid enough character on his own (like Vegito) where it won't really hurt him too much. We'll have to see when he drops, though.

I wonder if he'll come out when the Switch version comes out.
Trunks is cool!

User avatar
Cold Skin
I Live Here
Posts: 2283
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:09 pm
Location: France

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:50 am

Hum, we can already guess the Dramatic Finish that Cooler with bring with him (Goku ejecting him into the sun, plus they already have the assets for someone ejected into the sun from Broly's Dramatic Finish).

But what about DBS C-17? There's nobody in the roster that he defeated or was defeated by in his DBS incarnation.
I guess it will have to be an imaginary Dramatic Finish, perhaps against Cell trying to (re)absorb him?
Or maybe it will reproduce part of his fight with SSB Goku?

User avatar
Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6070
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:57 am

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kanassa » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:37 am

Cold Skin wrote:Hum, we can already guess the Dramatic Finish that Cooler with bring with him (Goku ejecting him into the sun, plus they already have the assets for someone ejected into the sun from Broly's Dramatic Finish).

But what about DBS C-17? There's nobody in the roster that he defeated or was defeated by in his DBS incarnation.
I guess it will have to be an imaginary Dramatic Finish, perhaps against Cell trying to (re)absorb him?
Or maybe it will reproduce part of his fight with SSB Goku?
Maybe his fight with Piccolo?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:


Obligitory Fan Fic Plug: Dragon Ball - Another Road
Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

User avatar
90sDBZ
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1962
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:34 am
Location: UK

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:37 am

DarkPrince_92 wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:
LightBing wrote:Cooler breakdown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4D4NqkTYBo
That's actually a really good breakdown and that's only possible when you have good players doing it.
I'm glad they didn't bring Rhymestyle to this one.

I literally only watch Maximilian Dood for the breakdowns. Runner ups are Berudy or Jmcrofts. Solid breakdowns from fighting gamers.
You should check out rooflemonger. He goes above and beyond in helping people learn the game with character specific guides, general strats, videos on the meta, and easily the most detailed coverage of balance changes on Youtube. He uploads most days and is literally a gold mine of info who has become my go to whenever I pick up a new character. You're seriously missing out if you don't watch his videos.

Another good channel is sikshotgaming with his What to do on block series.

And DotoDoya is another good one.

For high level matches I'd recommend Xuses and Yogaflame.

User avatar
DarkPrince_92
I Live Here
Posts: 3358
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:09 pm
Location: Glendale, CA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:43 pm

90sDBZ wrote:
DarkPrince_92 wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote: That's actually a really good breakdown and that's only possible when you have good players doing it.
I'm glad they didn't bring Rhymestyle to this one.

I literally only watch Maximilian Dood for the breakdowns. Runner ups are Berudy or Jmcrofts. Solid breakdowns from fighting gamers.
You should check out rooflemonger. He goes above and beyond in helping people learn the game with character specific guides, general strats, videos on the meta, and easily the most detailed coverage of balance changes on Youtube. He uploads most days and is literally a gold mine of info who has become my go to whenever I pick up a new character. You're seriously missing out if you don't watch his videos.

Another good channel is sikshotgaming with his What to do on block series.

And DotoDoya is another good one.

For high level matches I'd recommend Xuses and Yogaflame.
The ones in bold I watch too. Except DotoDoya, he's new to me.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. Instagram

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

User avatar
Noah
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7577
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:56 pm
Location: Virtual World

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Noah » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:03 pm

When the new DLC will come up?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Jord
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 808
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:13 am

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Jord » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:51 am

At the end of the month.

User avatar
MCDaveG
I Live Here
Posts: 4757
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:54 pm
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:17 pm

Man, people are wrecking me online with endless combos... I don’t know what to do! If you fail blocking, you just sit and watch the carnage. Is there a way to escape endless combo?
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

User avatar
LightBing
I Live Here
Posts: 3494
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:47 am

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by LightBing » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:43 pm

MCDaveG wrote:Man, people are wrecking me online with endless combos... I don’t know what to do! If you fail blocking, you just sit and watch the carnage. Is there a way to escape endless combo?
There's no endless combos. Does the hit counter ever turn blue? That's means you could have "tech out" in other words escaped. You just need to press a button while getting hit.
If I remember correctly the tutorial explains this.

User avatar
MCDaveG
I Live Here
Posts: 4757
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:54 pm
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:46 pm

LightBing wrote:
MCDaveG wrote:Man, people are wrecking me online with endless combos... I don’t know what to do! If you fail blocking, you just sit and watch the carnage. Is there a way to escape endless combo?
There's no endless combos. Does the hit counter ever turn blue? That's means you could have "tech out" in other words escaped. You just need to press a button while getting hit.
If I remember correctly the tutorial explains this.
No it doesn't. I can escape only, if I will get out of reach for the hits, press down + square to get quickly to ground and block or when I successfully pull air attack unless the player doesn't go for homing attack.
I kinda miss yellow and red blocks from Guilty Gear, there is nothing like it. When you won't pull a block and the player exploits the opening, there starts the pummelling.

I haven't saw anything like this in tutorial, the tutorial is pretty basic. I don't even know how to pull the super tag attack when you go for super and can add other characters to aid you with their supers after.

I don't know... Other fighters have pretty torough tutorial and this game doesn't or I am not looking on the right places as I think that most players exploit some mechanics of this game, which makes the matches cheap and devastating. It is more about the chance to attack and then that side has the upper hand, not much about strategy in this game.
I am kinda trapped. I meet two types of gamers... beginners, in whom I have no trouble to take em down or people spamming same combos over and over. Not much competition there :/
I loved how people fought on EVO.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

User avatar
LightBing
I Live Here
Posts: 3494
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:47 am

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by LightBing » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:40 pm

MCDaveG wrote:No it doesn't. I can escape only, if I will get out of reach for the hits, press down + square to get quickly to ground and block or when I successfully pull air attack unless the player doesn't go for homing attack.
I kinda miss yellow and red blocks from Guilty Gear, there is nothing like it. When you won't pull a block and the player exploits the opening, there starts the pummelling.

I haven't saw anything like this in tutorial, the tutorial is pretty basic. I don't even know how to pull the super tag attack when you go for super and can add other characters to aid you with their supers after.

I don't know... Other fighters have pretty torough tutorial and this game doesn't or I am not looking on the right places as I think that most players exploit some mechanics of this game, which makes the matches cheap and devastating. It is more about the chance to attack and then that side has the upper hand, not much about strategy in this game.
I am kinda trapped. I meet two types of gamers... beginners, in whom I have no trouble to take em down or people spamming same combos over and over. Not much competition there :/
I loved how people fought on EVO.
If I'm understanding you correctly you're not talking about combos but about the pressure following it. If people are homing dashing you press down heavy to counter, you get a free combo after. If people are going ham and always pressing buttons try to contest with your light attacks. Eventually you'll figure out when you can press buttons and when you need to block, etc..

There's strategy in this game, you're just playing at a level where people are being brainless and this game helps that until you figure out how to counter them, when you do you'll never lose to that type of player again.

To call out your characters during Super just press the assist button during the animation. Press back assist button for their level 3.

I agree that this game's tutorial is weak. Hope I was able to help.

User avatar
NintendoBlaze53
Regular
Posts: 567
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:24 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:45 pm

FighterZ lack of a traditional push block or a burst is my one real big complaint about it's gameplay. Especially after playing more Blazblue Cross Tag Battle.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

User avatar
MCDaveG
I Live Here
Posts: 4757
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:54 pm
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:58 am

LightBing wrote:There's strategy in this game, you're just playing at a level where people are being brainless and this game helps that until you figure out how to counter them, when you do you'll never lose to that type of player again.

To call out your characters during Super just press the assist button during the animation. Press back assist button for their level 3.

I agree that this game's tutorial is weak. Hope I was able to help.
Yeah, that is what I meant, sorry for bad description :)
Thanks a lot, it helped, I will try to train against CPU today.

But I need to have more charged chi than 3 lvevels for continual level 3 attack like with SSGSS Kaioken/kamehameha/fist right?

Thanks a lot LightBing :)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

User avatar
90sDBZ
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1962
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:34 am
Location: UK

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:14 am

MCDaveG wrote:Man, people are wrecking me online with endless combos... I don’t know what to do! If you fail blocking, you just sit and watch the carnage. Is there a way to escape endless combo?
Basically what the others have said. I know all too well getting hit by long combos over and over again is a serious pain and can hurt your motivation, but don't give up! One thing that might help is looking at your replays from time to time to see where you're going wrong. In the heat of a match it's hard to catch on to these things so replays are an ideal way to slow down and really dissect things. For example if your opponent keeps hitting you with a new combo after a knockdown try and figure out what you're doing that's giving them the opportunity.

If you're trying to hit them immediately after they've knocked you down you're going to lose out every time so try just blocking and seeing what they do. If they have a habit of going for a low block low, or they might go for an overhead in which case you would need to block high. You also have the option of upteching and dashing out of the corner which will work sometimes, but if they catch on they will jump up and meet you in the air with an attack. If they start doing this try dashing out under them. You could also try simply vanishing out of the corner but don't be too predictable with this as it can be countered with down heavy. And there's always the option of reflect. But reflecting or even blocking too much for too long will tempt them to go for a Dragon Rush which will beat out both options so be aware of this.

Another thing they might do is wait for you to reflect and then punish you with a delayed hit, or fake you out with a jumping light attack only to land quickly and punish you for reflecting. If you think they'll do this then throw out a level 3 super if you have the meter.

Defending in this game can be hard to say the least. Everything I mentioned above is pretty complicated on its own, but is made a lot more complicated when the attacker starts using assists to mix things up further. It's also worth pointing out that certain characters have block certain strings with gaps between hits that can be jumped out of, reflected, level 3 countered, or countered with an invincible DP style move like Vegeta's knee or Gohan's uppercut. Good players with use their assists to cover these gaps, but it's still worth knowing about them as assists won't always be available and players will sometimes take risks.

One way to learn about these gaps is to go to training mode with each character, set the CPU to block first hit only and try out each characters' various block strings. If the CPU blocks it all then it's a true block string with no gaps so must be blocked all the way. If the CPU gets hit during the string then there's a gap where you can reflect or counter with a level 3 or DP. It's a painstaking process and I must admit I still haven't got around to fully exploring it myself, but it will definitely pay off.

And there are countless videos on Youtube dedicated to helping people learn the game from a basic level to more advanced stuff. Rooflemonger's channel is a great place to learn this stuff. Here are some of his videos on defense:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azh9X2n-hg4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxuYjvwgyBU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WGb8a6IuPo

User avatar
Attitudefan
I Live Here
Posts: 2963
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:51 pm
Location: Canada

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:40 pm

I'm just going to say it is really awesome to see that they gave Saiyan arc Vegeta round eyes in some poses. That is freaking sweet.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

User avatar
CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 395
Joined: Sun May 27, 2018 3:32 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by CTAkuma » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:52 pm

MCDaveG wrote:
LightBing wrote:There's strategy in this game, you're just playing at a level where people are being brainless and this game helps that until you figure out how to counter them, when you do you'll never lose to that type of player again.

To call out your characters during Super just press the assist button during the animation. Press back assist button for their level 3.

I agree that this game's tutorial is weak. Hope I was able to help.
Yeah, that is what I meant, sorry for bad description :)
Thanks a lot, it helped, I will try to train against CPU today.

But I need to have more charged chi than 3 lvevels for continual level 3 attack like with SSGSS Kaioken/kamehameha/fist right?

Thanks a lot LightBing :)
You have to learn how to block and get in, use assists more frequently and to create space and also the basic Bread and Butter combos. People at your level will brainlessly spam superdash, a down Heavy attack will always beat a super dash if you time it correct, so you can exploit those who get too greedy. The most important thing is characters though, for starters you should play easier characters like the Gokus and Vegetas except maybe their SSGSS forms

User avatar
DarkPrince_92
I Live Here
Posts: 3358
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:09 pm
Location: Glendale, CA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:57 am

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:FighterZ lack of a traditional push block or a burst is my one real big complaint about it's gameplay. Especially after playing more Blazblue Cross Tag Battle.
Agreed. I was used to advancing guard from MVC3, so it was weird to not have that. "Reflect" does NOT count.

But I definitely got better competitively at fighting games thanks to this game. SImple controls and practice will get you far enough.

However, I've been Android rank for 4 months. Me and Online play have a severe love hate. :?
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. Instagram

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 546
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by ricky84 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:10 pm

After seeing the gameplay changes with Towa in Xenoverse 2 as well as the gameplay for Kefla and Baby, I definitely want to see these 3 in DBFZ now. Anybody agrees?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Post Reply