"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
LightBing
I Live Here
Posts: 3508
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:47 am

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by LightBing » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:19 am

Janemba looks pretty cool and dramatic finishes are back! They should have never stopped. It's such a charming feature.
Hope there's less time between Janemba and Gogeta.

User avatar
mute_proxy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1181
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:09 am

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:43 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:22 pm
Gogeta looks awful minus 10000000000000 points for giving him a shitty widows peak.

Is it that hard to pay attention to his f**king design developers? Ffs.
It's odd that it's just the promo/character selection pic that looks like that, in game it's seems fine

User avatar
supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 415
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:10 am

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by supersaiyanZero » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:58 am

mute_proxy wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:43 am
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:22 pm
Gogeta looks awful minus 10000000000000 points for giving him a shitty widows peak.

Is it that hard to pay attention to his f**king design developers? Ffs.
It's odd that it's just the promo/character selection pic that looks like that, in game it's seems fine

:lol: that statement sums up pretty much all of his posts in this thread!

Kataphrut
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1531
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:36 am

If there was ever a reason for them to change how dramatic finishes work, the EVO Grand Final was it.

It was intense match that ultimately came down to Kid Buu vs SS Goku on Land of the Kais, with Goku getting the win. How hype would it have been if we actually got the dramatic finish when GO1 dealt the final blow? You have Goku on the big screen with the Spirit Bomb doing the "I hope you some back as someone good" while SonicFox and GO1 were hugging it out. It would have been incredible. But it didn't happen because GO1 would have had to finish it with a raw heavy/vanish, and there's no way SonicFox would have let him get away with that. It's just not what you do at that level of play.

Just make it so character x beating character y on stage z triggers the finish. Simple as that.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1064
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:56 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Nickolaidas » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:44 am

Kataphrut wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:36 am
If there was ever a reason for them to change how dramatic finishes work, the EVO Grand Final was it.

It was intense match that ultimately came down to Kid Buu vs SS Goku on Land of the Kais, with Goku getting the win. How hype would it have been if we actually got the dramatic finish when GO1 dealt the final blow? You have Goku on the big screen with the Spirit Bomb doing the "I hope you some back as someone good" while SonicFox and GO1 were hugging it out. It would have been incredible. But it didn't happen because GO1 would have had to finish it with a raw heavy/vanish, and there's no way SonicFox would have let him get away with that. It's just not what you do at that level of play.

Just make it so character x beating character y on stage z triggers the finish. Simple as that.
I don't think anyone would have given a flying rats ass about an in-lore dramatic finish at that point. Heck, the camera didn't even show the super move of Goku turning SSJ3 to deal the finishing blow. What truly mattered, what everyone watched, was the amazing composure, spectacular skill, the rivalry and the friendship between the two best DB FighterZ players in the world right now.

That's what mattered, and I'm glad that the cameramen switched to Goichi and SoniFox to show us the feelz, instead of showing us a super move/dramatic finish that all of us have seen a gazillion times by now.

User avatar
John Pannozzi
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:32 am
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by John Pannozzi » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:52 pm

Has anyone else here seen this video on the animation in DB Fighterz and Guilty Gear Xrd? I found it through Kotaku.
Admin of the Dr. Slump Wiki.

I have a nostalgic soft spot for the Dragon Ball 10th anniversary movie. Ditto the Buu saga.

完全集のメンバー。

Friends don't lie.

User avatar
EXBadguy
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1650
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:24 pm
Location: NJ, 'MERICA

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by EXBadguy » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:40 am

Janemba does not visually disappoint. Look forward to watch him in Tournaments!
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Kataphrut
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1531
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:01 am

Nickolaidas wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:44 am
Kataphrut wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:36 am
If there was ever a reason for them to change how dramatic finishes work, the EVO Grand Final was it.

It was intense match that ultimately came down to Kid Buu vs SS Goku on Land of the Kais, with Goku getting the win. How hype would it have been if we actually got the dramatic finish when GO1 dealt the final blow? You have Goku on the big screen with the Spirit Bomb doing the "I hope you some back as someone good" while SonicFox and GO1 were hugging it out. It would have been incredible. But it didn't happen because GO1 would have had to finish it with a raw heavy/vanish, and there's no way SonicFox would have let him get away with that. It's just not what you do at that level of play.

Just make it so character x beating character y on stage z triggers the finish. Simple as that.
I don't think anyone would have given a flying rats ass about an in-lore dramatic finish at that point. Heck, the camera didn't even show the super move of Goku turning SSJ3 to deal the finishing blow. What truly mattered, what everyone watched, was the amazing composure, spectacular skill, the rivalry and the friendship between the two best DB FighterZ players in the world right now.

That's what mattered, and I'm glad that the cameramen switched to Goichi and SoniFox to show us the feelz, instead of showing us a super move/dramatic finish that all of us have seen a gazillion times by now.
Believe me, if the DF had actually happened, they would have found a way to make it part of the narrative around those two. Everyone remembers them summoning Shenron in last year's tournament? Rare moments like that within the match are what elevate the games.

Besides, I was just making a point that it was the perfect example of why they've screwed up that feature. You say everyone's seen it them gazillion times, have you ever actually had one happen in a match? I have SS Goku and Freeza on my team, which I think makes me statistically way more likely to get them than most people (Between them, that's Buu on Kais, Bardock, Beerus and Broly in space, each other on Namek, am I forgetting any?) and I've never had one.

User avatar
DarkPrince_92
I Live Here
Posts: 3374
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:09 pm
Location: Glendale, CA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:42 pm

John Pannozzi wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:52 pm
Has anyone else here seen this video on the animation in DB Fighterz and Guilty Gear Xrd? I found it through Kotaku.
I did. It's amazing. And really on point. A lot of "3D" anime out there don't seem to get it like Arcsys does for making 3D feel like authentic anime.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. Instagram

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

User avatar
LightBing
I Live Here
Posts: 3508
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:47 am

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by LightBing » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:21 pm

If the new Guilty Gear is anything to go by, FighterZ 2 will look even better, which is pretty crazy.

Still haven't tried Janemba but from impressions by others. He looks pretty cool, even if likely not top tier. Love his assists, although this really needs more neutral assists.

User avatar
Noitsnothim
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:27 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Noitsnothim » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:42 pm

LightBing wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:21 pm
If the new Guilty Gear is anything to go by, FighterZ 2 will look even better, which is pretty crazy.

Still haven't tried Janemba but from impressions by others. He looks pretty cool, even if likely not top tier. Love his assists, although this really needs more neutral assists.
Janemba is a pretty boring character tbh (Jiren's more fun to use than him hell even 17) A lot of the moves Janemba does leaves him wide open for attack which is not good and his lvl 1 is garbage

User avatar
Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here
Posts: 2020
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:31 pm
Location: Argentina
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:28 pm

A character with no weakness is boring to play.
"The Time of Birth has Come, I Am The Remedy of Eternity.”
“The Time of Crowning has Come, I Am The Begining of Eternity."
"The Time of Parting has Come, I Am Who Lets Go of The World"

User avatar
Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 14070
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:30 pm

Does Janemba have any special interactions with the other fighters?
PS4 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Hellspawn28
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GS27/

User avatar
Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here
Posts: 2020
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:31 pm
Location: Argentina
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:47 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:30 pm
Does Janemba have any special interactions with the other fighters?
The only one we know is the Dramatic Finish by Gogeta, none of its supers have any special interaction with any fighter.
"The Time of Birth has Come, I Am The Remedy of Eternity.”
“The Time of Crowning has Come, I Am The Begining of Eternity."
"The Time of Parting has Come, I Am Who Lets Go of The World"

User avatar
mute_proxy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1181
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:09 am

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:18 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:47 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:30 pm
Does Janemba have any special interactions with the other fighters?
The only one we know is the Dramatic Finish by Gogeta, none of its supers have any special interaction with any fighter.
We don't yet know if it's a Dramatic Finish

User avatar
Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here
Posts: 2020
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:31 pm
Location: Argentina
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:06 am

mute_proxy wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:18 am
We don't yet know if it's a Dramatic Finish
I can't be a Super because no Super in the game gives your opponent special (fear) face animation as they are about to be hit with the Super, so the only option possible is a custom tailored made Dramatic Finish for Janemba.
"The Time of Birth has Come, I Am The Remedy of Eternity.”
“The Time of Crowning has Come, I Am The Begining of Eternity."
"The Time of Parting has Come, I Am Who Lets Go of The World"

User avatar
mute_proxy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1181
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:09 am

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:17 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:06 am
mute_proxy wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:18 am
We don't yet know if it's a Dramatic Finish
I can't be a Super because no Super in the game gives your opponent special (fear) face animation as they are about to be hit with the Super, so the only option possible is a custom tailored made Dramatic Finish for Janemba.
Or a dramatic intro. Or a dramatic finish for SS Goku and Vegeta. Can't think of why SSB Gogeta would downgrade himself for a DF. Hmm.. or he goes Base after victory, and Janemba does a sneak attack, that could work :think:

User avatar
Cold Skin
I Live Here
Posts: 2312
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:09 pm
Location: France

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:53 pm

You know, maybe you guys will think it's farfetched, but when I see the way Gogeta throws his ultimate attack during the Dramatic Finish (often called Stardust Breaker in games if I got it right), his animation seems to ditch the original movie's rigid style for the more fluid moves of the latest movie.

Don't you feel that the way he throws it, with that sort of dynamic and fluid "twisting on the side" is vastly different from how it was shown in the original and more in line with what you would have seen with the DBS Broly animation style?
It's like they kept his new fluid animation as part of his identity even when he reproduces a scene from when he was much more rigid. That's awesome and coherent, and it really modernizes that scene with the newest animation to date!
Image
Click to enlarge.
mute_proxy wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:17 am
Can't think of why SSB Gogeta would downgrade himself for a DF. Hmm.. or he goes Base after victory, and Janemba does a sneak attack, that could work :think:
I think you overthink it all.
Gohan does downgrade himself into a mere Super Saiyan for his Dramatic Finish against Broly for no reason, just because it fits with the original scene.

Gogeta will do the same and just suddenly downgrade to a Super Saiyan when the scene starts, just because.
If you truly want some form of logic in that, you can say it's because finishing Janemba at that point is not even worth remaining in Super Saiyan Blue, the Super Saiyan form is more than enough for the finishing blow.
Last edited by Cold Skin on Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.

User avatar
mute_proxy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1181
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:09 am

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:02 pm

Cold Skin wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:53 pm


I think you overthink it all.
Gohan does downgrade himself into a mere Super Saiyan for his Dramatic Finish against Broly for no reason, just because it fits with the original scene.

Gogeta will do the same and just suddenly downgrade to a Super Saiyan when the scene starts, just because.
If you truly want some form of logic in that, you can say it's because finishing Janemba at that point is not even worth remaining in Super Saiyan Blue, the Super Saiyan form is more than enough for the finishing blow.
The thing is, no one said Gohan can't go SS after his potential was unlocked by elder Kai, they just said there'd be no point :?

User avatar
Cold Skin
I Live Here
Posts: 2312
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:09 pm
Location: France

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:14 pm

^ Yes, I don't say that it's impossible at all.
But it's just like for Gogeta: he does the whole fight (played by the gamer) in a more powerful form (the so-called "Ultimate Gohan" form) but then downgrades for no reason just because it fits the scene. And that's fine by me, I mean there's an artistic justification for that.

So all I'm saying is that they'll probably do the same for Gogeta: the character has fought in his most powerful form, but suddenly downgrades just for the Dramatic Finish instead of using his most powerful form, just because it fits better with how he was in the original scene.

Post Reply