Budokai 3 or Budokai Tenkaichi: Which is Your Favorite?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Budokai 3 or Budokai Tenkaichi: Which is Your Favorite?

Post by Anonymous Friend » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:29 am

I have both games and I like them both for different reasons. I played Tenkaichi first and went thru story mode and everything then I bought Budokai 3 and this was what I came to:

Budokai 3 was more of a fighting game similar to Street Fighter. It's like playing the show. The moves were eaiser to pull off and the combo system was fun. I loved the cinematic were crazy. Especially when you see a explosion the size of North America. Dragon Universe was awesome. Going thru it three or four times and getting different scenarios. I also like the button presses and being able to stop someone from using a powerful Dragon Rush or Ultimate attack.

Although, getting my Final Flash rejected 20 times in a row, made me break my controller in frustration making a gift and a curse. And having to keep an eye on what button I have to press instead of on the action is kind of a draw back. So is not being able to use the character I want when I want to use them, and only being able to use Fusion Dance characters for 10 second before the fusion is over. The capsule usage was kinda lame. Sometimes you had to chose if you wanted a move or a capsule. Especially if you wanted to use Mecha-Frieza or Majin Vegeta. To bad there's no Oozaru.

Tenkaichi is more like the Dragonball Experience. I felt like I was the character that I was using. Flying around a level, throwing energy blasts, and destroying levels. The story mode is very extensive, as is the roster. You get approximately 95% of all the fights that take place from the time Raditz arrives on Earth until Goku lays the smack down on Kid Buu, and then some that you would never expect. The character roster is pretty amazing. You get almost all the charaters from DBZ, a few from Original DB, some GTers and a couple of movie stars. And the extras were good too, such as the character bios. I personally liked switching to the Japanese voices.

The only real drawback on the game was the lack of ingame trasformations, which I think everyone complained about. I like screaming at my opponent:'LET ME SHOW YOU MY TRUE POWER!!!' And the lack of personal moves (almost everyone had the same moves) and the game speed. Plus, having to charge an entire bar twice in order to use the Ultimate Deathmove.

In the end, though, it was close, but I would have to say that I prefer to play the show. Therefore, I would chose Budokai 3. Dispite it's lack of characters.

Whatta y'all think??

p.s. One thing I gotta ask, though, if in both games we have Kid Goku, why the heck can't he turn Super Saiyan?????? Ye know what, let's make that two things, in Tenkaichi why is it that characters the can't fly are flying all over the place??? And I'm not speaking of Hercule, I mean Roshi, Kid Goku, Tao, and the Oozaru???
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:49 am

Kid Goku can;t turn SSJ because he can't in the series, unless you count the GT version of kid Goku in, but he wasn't in the games. Second, if those characters couldn't fly they would have a big disadvantage towards the rest of the roster.
Jord doesn't have a avatar because the combination of Jord and a equally cool avatar would cause the universe to implode.

Mr.Piccolo

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:50 am

There is such thing as 'too much', even in DragonBall and it's Video Games. Budokai 3 just had way too much. What I hated the most was the "Rock, Paper, Scissor" sequences almost every 10 seconds in a fight. I had no problem with Budokai 2. All it need was more stages and the fact that if Cell has no ki and is knocked down he looses 17 and 18 (?!).

"Sparking", imo, is the most complete DragonBall game out there. I think, for one player mode especially, Sparking is the most like the anime. AH! This game is so good..! I'm just hoping Piccolo aka the man has his full costume in the sparking sequel.. and they should let you choose alternates. I main Ten a nd sometimes, I prefer his blue gi over his green one. So yeah..
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

goku 333
Not-So-Newbie

Post by goku 333 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:07 pm

They are both very fine games but I think that Budokai 3 is much better because:
· Tenkaichi’s story was a bit of a letdown (not that much story explanation and no flying around the world map like on B3).
· After 3 years of the Budokai series developing, the fight system in Budokai 3 became easy, creative and fun to play.
· Not only did Tenkaichi have a different control system but it was also a pain in the ass to get used to the new camera angles and random flying from time to time.
· But you have to give Tenkaichi some credit the Budokai series had 4 years to develop. So I could only hope that Tenkaichi 2 (and hopefully other sequels) will be an improvement.
:P

jwimz
Beyond Newbie

Post by jwimz » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:16 pm

Sparking! had better graphics, longer storymode with branching what-ifs kinda, and a bigger roster, however I hated the gameplay. I didn't like the one button attack then press the x or triangle to further your combo (plus it was a big pain when you were getting pounded on with that). I like the gameplay a lot better in Budokai 3. Yeah there weren't any transformations in game for Sparking! but I don't really see it as a bad thing, because I've growed up with DBZ games without them. The only thing that really downgrades Sparking!, in my opinion, is the lack of awesome ultimate moves. Budokai 3 had cool cutscenes for each characters ultimate move and it was enjoyable to play the little mini-game to further the damage of that move. Dragon Rush for 3 was also very fun.

So overall I would say that Budokai 3 is a lot better then Sparking!, but we'll see if Budokai 3 gets surplanted by Sparking! NEO in October.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:22 pm

Quite frankly, Super DragonBall Z is a better game than both of them, and by quite a bit.

But of the two, Budokai 3 is definately the superior, by quite a bit. The Gameplay is better, the graphics are smoother, and everything is just...makes it a better game.

Sparking! had a large roster and more complete story mode, and that's about it. I'm not in it for the story mode. I know the dang story to DragonBall, I want a game, not an interactive version of the anime.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:55 pm

Duo wrote:Quite frankly, Super DragonBall Z is a better game than both of them, and by quite a bit.

But of the two, Budokai 3 is definately the superior, by quite a bit. The Gameplay is better, the graphics are smoother, and everything is just...makes it a better game.

Sparking! had a large roster and more complete story mode, and that's about it. I'm not in it for the story mode. I know the dang story to DragonBall, I want a game, not an interactive version of the anime.
........I couldn't have said it any better. Though it looks like Sparking! NEO is shaping up to be the ultimate Dragon Ball experience. Having everything that "Dragon Ball Z 3" had & even more.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:46 pm

Tenkaichi/Sparking had the most potential and innovative gameplay. Too bad the controls needed more fine tuning and the "story mode" was severly subpar.

Budokai 3 is the best of the 2 games. The fighting/controls, while not all that special were fun and it was a good brisk fighting game. The story mode owned (except for the still pics with text)...

So far, Tenkaichi 2/Sparking NEO looks to be the best DB game EVER, mixing elements from both series and refining the controls from Sparking 1 hopefully.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:04 pm

Budokai 3 is better then Sparking! mostly because of the fighting engine. It's better in other ways as well, but its been explained in the posts above mine.

I want to hear the debates that are going to go on when its Sparking! NEO vs. Budokai 3. If any game is going to be better then B3, NEO could be it!

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:47 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote:p.s. One thing I gotta ask, though, if in both games we have Kid Goku, why the heck can't he turn Super Saiyan?????? Ye know what, let's make that two things, in Tenkaichi why is it that characters the can't fly are flying all over the place??? And I'm not speaking of Mr. Satan, I mean Roshi, Kid Goku, Tao, and the Oozaru???
As Jord was nice enough to explain, there's a difference between Kid Goku and Little Goku from GT. The latter has never appeared in any of the recent games . . . and y'know, I'm particularly cheesed off that again he (apparently) won't appear in Budokai Tenkaichi 2. Couldn't they use him as a base form for SSJ4, and throw in SSJ and SSJ3 for good measure? That's how it goes in GT, isn't it?! Good God.

Then again, Little Goku bears a striking resemblance to Buu saga Goten, and given the choice I'd rather have Goten.

As for flying: I don't think we ever saw Roshi, Kid Goku, Tao or the Oozaru use Bukujutsu (with the exception of Oozaru Vegeta). If they couldn't/didn't use the technique on the show, then I'm glad they don't in the game.

My opinion: Budokai 3. I only got to play a little of Budokai Tenkaichi, so I can't render an opinion until I manage to snag it. It's a Greatest Hits disc now, so it's $20! Get, get!
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Mr.Piccolo

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:37 pm

This link ends all questions about if Sparking2 will be better than Budokai3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFTKe5Zm ... ed&search=
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XBH-zMR ... ed&search=
(Ignore the Music)
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

NECPS
Beyond Newbie

Post by NECPS » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:00 pm

I still like the camera of budokai 3..
They should've made a game where the scenery didn't move, but instead the characters would turn around each other (like NES games).

I still like the costume changes too.
I don't know if I will be able to play with Nail this time, or longhair yamcha, or kid gohan with bandana, or even with king piccolo. Can you answer if this will be possible? Because there is a lot of new character from Gt and stuff.. but as a fan I can see I am losing a lot too.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:40 pm

IMO, Budokai 3 is definitely leagues ahead of Sparking! ... It had so much more previous experience built into it for the better, the story mode was very replayable and kick-ass, and the game-play combined with the very nice list of characters...was just kick-ass (compared to Sparking where I didn't wanna go back to play any of those story modes after completing it)! It's funny that someone brought up the games being based off the anime, I've come to think Budokai 2 and Super DBZ are the only games that seem to be based off the manga (Budokai 1 being more anime/manga-ish). I think that's a reason why I've enjoyed Super DBZ and Budokai 2 so much as of late, they have very innovative elements in them, Budokai 2 having the fun loosely based story mode, and Super DBZ having literally every aspect based off the manga and the hardcore fighting game-play, with some supervision by Toriyama no less (according to the NA release's ending credits). I hope I'm not a hypocrite for loving manga-based games over some of the more anime based ones, considering I'm an anime purist and all. >_>;;;

Anywho, till I play NEO for myself, I'm still staying with my notion that Budokai 3 (more preferably the GH version) is the best Ps2 DBZ game ever, needless to say a hundred fold better than Sparking!
14 years later

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:25 pm

I enjoyed Sparking quite a bit, but over all Budokai 3 was a better game, with a much more polished presentation. I wasn't too keen on the "Saiyan Overdrive System", but the ability to warp behind your opponent multiple times to bounce them around the screen like a pinball was fun.

That and having alternate costumes; it may not mean much to other people, but I like having the choice between caped Piccolo, battle damaged Goku, and Kuririn with hair. Sparking was dissapointing in that it only offered palete swaps, and even the good ones you couldn't select by default.

Drunken Master
Regular

Post by Drunken Master » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:11 pm

Tenkaichi. It's just more fun to play with friends.
AKA [b]Pope Blitzkrieg XVI[/b], [b]Mr. Shades-Internet McCool[/b]

Mystic Jack
Regular

Post by Mystic Jack » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:43 am

OK, I'll just make the short statement: Budokai 3 IMO was better then Tenkaichi. (quick, simple easy to remember)
Singer, actor, chiropractor!

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:39 pm

Duo wrote:Quite frankly, Super DragonBall Z is a better game than both of them, and by quite a bit.

That about sums up my thoughts bro, ditto.

AceSharp
Not-So-Newbie

Post by AceSharp » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:04 pm

Quite frankly, Super DragonBall Z is a better game than both of them, and by quite a bit.

Gameplay wise, Super Dragon Ball Z kicks the methaphorical ass of every DBZ game to date, and probably in the future as well.

But as for my preference, I think Budokai 3 is the better of the two. Made a great party game; wasted countless hours of my life on it. :P

Sparking! though, just kinda killed off that vibe which B3 had. I'm hoping to god NEO will deliver me what was taken away in the first installation. It's hard to describe it, but even though Sparking! was quite accurate to what the show actually is, it just wasn't as much fun to get behind and play as B3. Something was... wrong.

EDIT: Wow, just noticed that was one hell of a thread necro. Maybe I was a little carried away? :P

Gogeta101

Post by Gogeta101 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:04 pm

In a debate over Budokai 3 or Budokai Tenkaichi, I would most likely
go with Budokai Tenkaichi. The game allows you to have more freedom,
and allows players to fight in more scenes like in the show. I can't
wait for the second one to come out.
Trunks looks really cool with the sword.
Go Tenkaichi! :D
I am neither Goku nor Vegeta!!
Jump! Friend Code:[b]3479 7919 1171[/b]

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:32 pm

Gogeta101 wrote:In a debate over Budokai 3 or Budokai Tenkaichi, I would most likely
go with Budokai Tenkaichi. The game allows you to have more freedom,
and allows players to fight in more scenes like in the show. I can't
wait for the second one to come out.
Trunks looks really cool with the sword.
Go Tenkaichi! :D
Please do not add your own line breaks. Just type out full sentences and paragraphs like normal. It will wrap automatically. Thanks.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::