Do you still play any Dragon Ball game besides FighterZ?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Do you still play any Dragon Ball game besides FighterZ?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:44 am

The title speaks for itself....

Super Butoden

I bought all three games in this series as part of a retrospective but the week after I never really touched them. Partly because I find quite dated but mostly because a lack of time.

Budokai

I still play the games religiously though mainly Budokai 3. Before FighterZ I stood by it being the pinnacle of DBZ fighting games even though some here viciously would disagree but fuck what they say. Anyways, I applaud the efforts Dimps put into making Budokai a more fleshed-out fighter and wish they could continue the series as it came so close to perfecting it. I remember struggling to get a hit off my brother as Vegeta (he was playing Cell) because he kept strafing around till I noticed Vegeta had many useful combos that track so they can't be sidestepped like his >pkK(k). It's similar to Goku's only it has a slower starter that can be charged making it good as oki, the K stuns instead of knocking the opponent down, and it ends with a flying kick that's easy anti-TC.

Tenkaichi

I still play these games as well but after completing the single-player campaigns the 2nd time around I haven't regularly touched them. I still play the game every now and then with the bros. These games get heat for every character "playing the same" and essentially most of them do but it's not like we ever played the game expecting anything near Street Fighter-level technicality. There's enough deep to keep things interesting for casuals but more importantly, BT3 is viscerally fast-paced and close to the action of the anime that it can be enjoyed by fans and non-fans alike.

Xenoverse

Despite my support of this game series, I feel it is squandering potential. It has a lot of content and other goodies but at the cost of fundamentals like character balance. Anyways it could be a good fighting game series... the idea of living as your very own Dragon Ball character in a hub world interacting with other characters (both pre-existing and original) is a cool concept, the replay value is high, and the gameplay is highly accessible and fun with mostly unique characters (even though they share the same inputs for moves).
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Re: Do you still play any Dragon Ball game besides FighterZ?

Post by Jackalope89 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:59 am

I still play the Xenoverse series (and eagerly awaiting the upcoming update and DLC).

Right now, kind of grinding to get my other characters to level 99. I did it with my first, male Saiyan CaC. And its a LOT easier in X2, thanks to grinding for easier to get Dragon Balls, I can avoid the much longer process of grinding away on Expert Missions (offer the most XP of any mission).

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:01 am

I've been playing the handheld games but FighterZ is the first console game I've played in years.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:03 am

I've played Xenoverse 2 quite religiously since it's release. I do regret missing some of the past raids but I've come back for updates and DLC.

I do still play a bit of Fusions as well. I was so hyped for that game I wound up purchasing two copies of it and still thoroughly enjoy it and honestly hope we get a sequel some day.

I'll be a bit honest though, I've shelved Fighterz for about 2 weeks now. Once I unlocked the Blue forms, I was kinda done. I don't really enjoy competitive fighting multiplayers, even though I'd consider myself to be average at it. I am looking forward to the added characters in the coming months, however.

As for any of the older games, if I could access them I would. I own Tenkaichi 3 for Wii which mine has been out of commission for some time, and I do own the Budokai HD "Collection" for 360, which that console has also become a bit unused in my own time.

I would really like to see another 3DS game, though with the advent of the Switch I wonder what the future of that console holds

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:15 pm

I'm still playing Xenoverse 2 and the Budokai HD Collection.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Lightdasher
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Lightdasher » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:02 am

Definitely! At the moment, my most played is Tenkaichi 2. I enjoy taking on challenges for myself, such as fighting custom or password character teams having up to five members while I use only one character. Very fun for me as an endurance test and a way to still improve at this old game, haha. Many would probably ask why I'd play it over Tenkaichi 3, and while I do still enjoy T3 for its differences, many differences it does have are what sway me from playing it more (such as no longer having the ability to guard cancel a charged attack). The attempt to balance the game for competitive play is appreciated, but I prefer when Dragon Ball Z games allow you to be stupid strong! :D As a result, T2 is my go-to in the series, while I go with T3 what I want to mess around with character customization or make use of a content addition that's missing in T2 (Arale is awesome!)

Edit: Holy crap, I forgot Battle of Z! I ought to shoot myself! xD This is definitely one of my most played games, and one of the most enjoyable for me. I love being able to support a team, and the game allows me to do that perfectly. At the same time, I can also be a tough melee fighter, a quick ki blaster (there's one more category, but I never take it honestly.. ^^'). I appreciate it for all it allows me to do, from customizations so that I can take on a tough mission with all abilities or take on a weaker mission with a challenge by using no card abilities, to using teamwork in taking down huge bosses. My memory sure is one of my weaker points, but I'm glad I was able to recall this game. I wouldn't call it underrated, because its faults are clear to see, but some of those faults just make me laugh (like the cheesy story cutscenes), and all of its upsides definitely outweigh the bad for me. I'm glad this game is still played by quite a few other players online!

Honorable mentions go to:
Ultimate Battle 22- I mainly only play it because it's the only DBZ fighter I have in this style that has Goten, also because I like to give my PS1 attention from time to time.
The original 3 Budokai games - The first is the one I appreciate the most for starting the franchise and having such great attention to detail for the source material, the second is the most fun because it's story mode is so silly xD, and the third is the most intense as I use it to try getting Goten through Dragon Arena.
Raging Blast 1 - I have a deep history with it beginning my escapades into online gaming and finding a small group of great players to have fun and hang out with even outside the game, so it's mostly nostalgic, but I also enjoy it as a bit of an upgraded Tenkaichi that this also downgraded in too many regards now that I can judge it better in hindsight..
Advanced Adventure - Probably the best Dragon Ball-related Advanced game for me, accounting for all DB games released for the system, and what a fun little sidescrolling beat-em-up it is!
Revenge of King Piccolo - I got it as soon as I was able to snag an original Wii not too long ago, so I'm mostly just getting through it for now
Legendary Super Warriors - This one's the best of all for me, as it was my first Dragon Ball game ever, and not a terrible RPG to play still to this day. My cartridge no longer works, but I keep it with me (reminiscent to Goku holding onto his four-star dragonball) and play the game through emulation when I'm up for it.

I had to sell quite a few games a while back, including my DS and everything on that system, but I hope to get the Origins games back because they were my favorite Dragon Ball games on any system for some time.

I also play Xenoverse 2 quite a bit, but mainly because it's still sort of the new thing and it's a fun experience with friends in Parallel Quests.
"Set a good example, represent what you think the community should be, and just be awesome." -VegettoEX, 2017.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:44 am

Yes , i play Dokkan Battle everyday.

Its a lot of fun as the game constantly adds new events and characters.
My English is poor .

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:03 am

Of course! As good as FighterZ is, it's still just another DB game for me (albeit one of better quality than we normally get, and definitely the most BEAUTIFUL looking one we've EVER gotten), and especially without the ability to play online against other people myself, it kind of fizzled out a bit for me after I beat the story mode. I still need to go back and grind for more zeni to unlock other stuff, and do the arcade modes, but for the most part I haven't really touched it again in a few weeks.

On the flip side though, now that Xenoverse 2's new DLC is right around the corner, I've been playing it again. Finally getting my other characters fixed up in outfit presets I'd like for them (skills for said presets will be a bit harder to determine, so I'll worry about that later on), and there's already the new meters to max out on all the mentor characters (thank Kami it seems to move faster than the previous meter did), and really Xenoverse as a series, for all it's flaws, is just the type of game I'd been waiting a long, long time to be able to play. It's easy for me to say which of the two is my favored game.

In terms of older games? I admit, I haven't played through them in a long, long time, but I still own a bulk of the games we got released here (there's a few I need to buy that I missed out on though), and I'm sure I'll play them again at some point in the future. Especially stuff like the Legacy of Goku trilogy.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:34 am

Since Fighterz came out I haven't been playing any other game except Tekken 7, but then that's always the case for me for awhile when a new game from one of my favourite franchises comes out. In time I will no doubt go back to the Budokai series and a lot of the other classics, as I always have done over the years.

As great as Fighterz is it's not gonna make me forget about the many other worthwhile entries in the DBZ gaming catalogue. I'm not one of those guys who thinks all Dragonball games sucked before Fighterz. As a matter of fact I'd say many of them still hold up really well today, ie. Budokai 3, Infinite World, BT2/3, Legacy of Goku 2/Buu's Fury, and Advanced Adventure to name a few.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:45 pm

I play through the first Budokai game every now and again, when I get nostalgic. Probably every couple o’ years or so...

I do the same with Tenkaichi 2, albeit a little less often.

The thing is, aside from Extreme Butoden, those are the only DBZ games I own. I don’t have any interest in purchasing a new game console, I still get tons of enjoyment out of my PS2 and N64. If Anything, I wouldn’t mind expanding my collection of PS2 games with Infinite World and/or Budokai 3. It’s been forever since i’ve Played either of those
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

KinguKurimuzon
Beyond Newbie

Post by KinguKurimuzon » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:37 pm

I've been replaying Xenoverse since it went on sale a while back, I'm in the middle of Attack of the Saiyans, I still play Budokai 3 every now and then, and ometimes I even pop out my copy of Taiketsu for shits and giggles . Kind of a strange question, honestly. FighterZ is a damn good game, but it's not like it's eclipsed over 20 years worth of Dragon Ball games. Every DB game (even some of the bad ones) has something going for it, even the older fighting games are still enjoyable for different reasons than FighterZ.
"Are you trying to impress me with your transformation sequence?" - Mashymre Cello

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:06 pm

Just mainly a back and forth between FighterZ and Xenoverse 2. I still own all titles from Budokai 1 - Raging Blast 2 console games, but I kind of played them all a bit too much (Especially Budokai 3 with around 600 hours of play time) so I've kept them to the side until the late future when I decide to kind of do a marathon of all the games.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:33 am

Yes. Budokai 3 HD and Burst Limit.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:55 pm

My dear old Budokai Tenkaichi 3 hiding somewhere in my basement.