I'm Surprised After 6 DLC Packs in Xenoverse 2 There's Still No Original Dragon Ball

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Logania
Regular
Posts: 593
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:47 am

I'm Surprised After 6 DLC Packs in Xenoverse 2 There's Still No Original Dragon Ball

Post by Logania » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:50 pm

It's been at least 9 years since any material from the original Dragon Ball has been used in a console Dragon Ball game since Revenge of King Piccolo for the Wii in 2009.

I figured since Xenoverse 1-2's main story was about going through time I figured there would be at least 1 or 2 levels from Dragon Ball, but still nothing. No characters, no stages, nothing.

I understand that for DLC you want to hype people up with the current content in the franchise which is Super, but the Extra Packs were my shining hope that it'll have something like Kid Goku, Roshi or Mercenary Tao as characters. They'd get people more excited for the DLC than ANOTHER Buu, Android 13 without the transformation and Dabura. While I was typing I forgot Tapion was also in the pack, which is odd because Hirudegarn ain't in this game...

They don't mind giving little snippets of it like Yamcha's bandit outfit, King Piccolo's outfit and others with also a few moves like "Rock, Scissors, Paper" but c'mon we need more than that. There's a lot of material to work with from Dragon Ball!

Do you guys want Dragon Ball content in Xenoverse, or are you guys fine with getting more Super and Z content in the updates and Packs?
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

User avatar
MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 784
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:50 pm

Re: I'm Surprised After 6 DLC Packs in Xenoverse 2 There's Still No Original Dragon Ball

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:37 am

I'd rather get more of the Super and what little is left from Z and GT. I love OG Dragonball, but those characters can't really fit into the formula of Xenoverse, mainly because they can't fly. Tenkaichi handled it well with having them float and gradually fall down, but I can't see the same working on the Xenoverse engine

User avatar
Jackalope89
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 806
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:36 pm

Re: I'm Surprised After 6 DLC Packs in Xenoverse 2 There's Still No Original Dragon Ball

Post by Jackalope89 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:41 am

OG Dragon Ball... Just wouldn't fit, barring as being for a beginner's level. No flying, weakest most of the characters are, etc.

So, I'm fine without it.

User avatar
Grimlock
I Live Here
Posts: 4978
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: I'm Surprised After 6 DLC Packs in Xenoverse 2 There's Still No Original Dragon Ball

Post by Grimlock » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:53 am

Logania wrote:They'd get people more excited for the DLC than ANOTHER Buu, Android 13 without the transformation and Dabura.
Actually, no. I like Android 13 and so I would prefer him instead of characters from Dragon Ball, he also can provide more, interesting and different concepts (which he did a little bit in the Infinite History. Also, it is the very thing I look for when it comes to Xenoverse) than the characters from Dragon Ball.

The same goes for Dabura. He is way more related to the content Xenoverse is about than any other character from the original Dragon Ball, which automatically makes him more interesting than them, which also makes me more hyped for Dabura and the content he can bring along with him.
Logania wrote:Do you guys want Dragon Ball content in Xenoverse, or are you guys fine with getting more Super and Z content in the updates and Packs?
I'm indifferent to that, if they want to explore Dragon Ball, fine by me. If they don't want to, fine by me.
Last edited by Grimlock on Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 2967
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: I'm Surprised After 6 DLC Packs in Xenoverse 2 There's Still No Original Dragon Ball

Post by KBABZ » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:54 am

Didn't Dragon Ball Fusions have Kid Goku featured in the early stages?

User avatar
Logania
Regular
Posts: 593
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:47 am

Re: I'm Surprised After 6 DLC Packs in Xenoverse 2 There's Still No Original Dragon Ball

Post by Logania » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:22 am

Grimlock wrote: Actually, no. I like Android 13 and so I would prefer him instead of characters from Dragon Ball, he also can provide more, interesting and different concepts (which he did a little bit in the Infinite History. Also, it is the very thing I look for when it comes to Xenoverse) than the characters from Dragon Ball.

The same goes for Dabura. He is way more related to the content Xenoverse is about than any other character from the original Dragon Ball, which automatically makes him more interesting than them, which also makes me more hyped for Dabura and the content he can bring along with him.
For the case of 13, it's not that he's in the game at all that I don't like, It's just him and Bojack have no place in the story mode really aside from 13 being there with the other androids that one mission and Bojack isn't anywhere at all. Not to mention they have no transformations or anything from their movie they're based in, they're just...there. Tapion at least had a purpose in the altered history by sealing Zamasu instead of just being a guy that fights like the other 2. I'd like for them to have some kind of importance in it.
Dabura had some potential for the story but he was kinda just thrown in at the end. With how he's related with 2 of the original characters story is based around I figured they'd make him a lot more central to it but he's just at the mission with Buu and then he has the cutscene at the time nest and you fight with him and Vegeta.

I haven't 100% Tokipedia so maybe there's some cutscenes and things I'm missing for the movie characters but so far they have little to no importance which is sad as they're paid DLC that's in the story mode.
KBABZ wrote:Didn't Dragon Ball Fusions have Kid Goku featured in the early stages?
Yes but I put in the beginning console games.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

User avatar
BlueBasilisk
I Live Here
Posts: 3045
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:58 am

Re: I'm Surprised After 6 DLC Packs in Xenoverse 2 There's Still No Original Dragon Ball

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:41 am

KBABZ wrote:Didn't Dragon Ball Fusions have Kid Goku featured in the early stages?
Kid Goku was one of the five main characters. It was you, him, Goten and Trunks and Pan.

User avatar
Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8494
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 am
Location: Arkansas

Re: I'm Surprised After 6 DLC Packs in Xenoverse 2 There's Still No Original Dragon Ball

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:48 am

Personally, I'm hoping that's gonna be a big part of the expansion in an eventual Xenoverse 3, for a couple of reasons.

The main reason that's always brought up for DB characters not being in Xenoverse is because they can't fly. You know who else can't fly? Anyone in the Tournament of Power. I'd be beyond surprised if we didn't get some kind of Tournament of Power level or replication brought up in XV3, and if they want to replicate the experience as much as they've been careful to with the other ones in this series, then they'd likely need to make it where you can't fly on that level. And if they can do that for a level, then that means they'd have to make sure people worked well enough with it to work well with other characters flat out, I'd assume. Therefore, adding people from Dragon Ball would be easy at that point.

Even beyond that though, I feel XV3 will probably be about fleshing out the missing gaps, at least in-so-far as the character roster goes. We'll likely see the return of faces like Android 19 and 20, adding in Freeza and Cell's missing forms, stuff like that. We'll also likely get a good few more characters added in from the Tournament of Power (at the very least I'm calling Ribrianne, Caulifla, Kale, Kefla, Toppo, and GoD Toppo), and probably some new characters that will be revealed in the upcoming movie. Speaking of movies, they'll probably add in some missing people from that too (Garlic Jr., maybe a game finally bringing in Bio-Broly, adding some minions from particular movies, etc.). All told though, that's...not a lot of new faces to bring in, not compared to the sheer number of new faces we had in XV2. That's where Dragon Ball can come in, in a sort of 'old is new' fashion, and give us a good chunk of characters we haven't seen in a console or fighting game since Tenkaichi 3, or not even then.

And if all else fails, and the characters inability to fly is that much of an issue? With a series like Xenoverse it's pretty easy to fix. Just have some offhand comment that somehow all these changes to history has resulted in timelines where characters that never knew how to fly, or shouldn't know how to fly yet, suddenly do, and done - the characters can now fly and be included in the fun with everyone else.
Dragon Ball: Heroes of the New Era - My ongoing Dragon Ball fanfiction. (Ongoing, On Hiatus)
"There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people. Psychopaths, and mystery writers. I'm the kind that pays better."

User avatar
Draconic
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1961
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:44 pm
Location: Romania

Re: I'm Surprised After 6 DLC Packs in Xenoverse 2 There's Still No Original Dragon Ball

Post by Draconic » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:36 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ID07Wzm4Pc4

If they can make Muten Roshi work in Zenkai Battle, which is pretty similar to Xenoverse, there's no reason why they can't do the same for him in this game, along Kid Goku (with Kinto'un), Tao Pai Pai (with his pillar)and Piccolo Daimao (who can fly). Outside of these guys there's not many who are important to the story anyway, since most others are already in with their Z iterations. The only DB character that doesn't even have a Z alternative is Chaotzu, who should be easy to implement. Just give Yamcha, Tenshinhan and Krillin alternate costumes and call it a day. Maaaybe get a Kid Krillin in too, since he does have two important fights during the Tournaments, but the Tournaments themselves don't strike me as having a ton of potential for Xenoverse's type of story, so you might as well skip him or just give current Krillin an Orin Temple alternate and a younger looking face and be done with it.
English is not my first language !

My breakdown of the new and old transformations. Hope to update it soon with many others!

User avatar
Lightdasher
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:09 pm
Location: South Carolina, USA

Re: I'm Surprised After 6 DLC Packs in Xenoverse 2 There's Still No Original Dragon Ball

Post by Lightdasher » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:06 pm

Seems most of the replies indicate that OG Dragon Ball content is unwanted, which I find to be a shame. At the very least, I would love to have Mercenary Tao, or Kid Goku. Yes; I know that there are quite enough Gokus already, but this one would have the Nimbus! I've seen the inability to fly brought up as a complaint as well, but I don't think that's as heavy a complaint for a game as it would be if, say, Super brought these characters back. Afterall, Videl has never shot a ki blast in canon, but Xenoverse gives her the ability to do that in spades, as well as the ultimate attack: Full-Power Energy Wave. Since when has DragonBall leaned more towards consistency if it sacrificed a little fun? :P C'mon, I want the original Goku!
"Set a good example, represent what you think the community should be, and just be awesome." -VegettoEX, 2017.

User avatar
floofychan333
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1369
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:03 pm
Location: Edmonton, Canada

Re: I'm Surprised After 6 DLC Packs in Xenoverse 2 There's Still No Original Dragon Ball

Post by floofychan333 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:28 pm

Well, the games in general seem to like excluding the original series, though I think a sub-story mode could work with different abilities. Maybe a whole other game focused on the original series, structured similarly to Xenoverse but more appropriate.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

User avatar
DarkPrince_92
I Live Here
Posts: 3294
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:09 pm
Location: Bronx, New York
Contact:

Re: I'm Surprised After 6 DLC Packs in Xenoverse 2 There's Still No Original Dragon Ball

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:39 pm

Pretty sure there was a developer interview years ago about why they shy away from Dragon Ball.

Like stated before, one of their concerns was DB characters' lacking flight and other abilities would create imbalance (more so than the imbalance in place).
I am an artist/animator, check out my thangs. Online Portfolio

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Jord
Regular
Posts: 620
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:13 am

Re: I'm Surprised After 6 DLC Packs in Xenoverse 2 There's Still No Original Dragon Ball

Post by Jord » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:32 am

Basically they could add Kid Goku and use his Kinto'un when he's flying.

User avatar
Lightdasher
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:09 pm
Location: South Carolina, USA

Re: I'm Surprised After 6 DLC Packs in Xenoverse 2 There's Still No Original Dragon Ball

Post by Lightdasher » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:35 am

Jord wrote:Basically they could add Kid Goku and use his Kinto'un when he's flying.
From a developer's perspective, I can see the limitations to that. Calling upon the Kinto'un is a pre-existing transformation in the game, with its own setbacks (Kid Goku wouldn't be able to enter a portal during parallel quests of the game while riding it, for example, and they're always high in the air). I still think he should have it, if he were ever to be brought into the Xenoverse series, but solving his flight issue would have to be handled differently.

I am partial to how Sparking! Neo/Budokai Tenkaichi 2 mostly handled his lack of flight, where Kid Goku would slowly descend while floating a bit using his tail, and ascending wasn't as simple as with the majority of characters. Though, at this point, I can see my pressing the issue being translated as "Why is Lightdasher so butthurt that one character isn't included?" And to that, I say, "Touché", and instead will be grateful that I at least have another favorite already in the game. :silent:
"Set a good example, represent what you think the community should be, and just be awesome." -VegettoEX, 2017.

User avatar
Logania
Regular
Posts: 593
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:47 am

Re: I'm Surprised After 6 DLC Packs in Xenoverse 2 There's Still No Original Dragon Ball

Post by Logania » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:03 am

I don't see how flight can be a hindering factor with Dragon Ball characters in this honestly. As accurate as it is, we can have them fly to suit the needs of the game. They've had Kid Goku fly in Budokai 3 and Tenkaichi 1 (I think Tenkaichi 2 as well) to suit the game mechanics.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Phozz
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:08 pm
Location: My planet
Contact:

Re: I'm Surprised After 6 DLC Packs in Xenoverse 2 There's Still No Original Dragon Ball

Post by Phozz » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:42 am

MKCSTEALTH wrote:I'd rather get more of the Super and what little is left from Z and GT. I love OG Dragonball, but those characters can't really fit into the formula of Xenoverse, mainly because they can't fly. Tenkaichi handled it well with having them float and gradually fall down, but I can't see the same working on the Xenoverse engine
Just give them jetpacks like Hercule.

Phozz
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:08 pm
Location: My planet
Contact:

Re: I'm Surprised After 6 DLC Packs in Xenoverse 2 There's Still No Original Dragon Ball

Post by Phozz » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:08 am

Logania wrote:It's been at least 9 years since any material from the original Dragon Ball has been used in a console Dragon Ball game since Revenge of King Piccolo for the Wii in 2009.

I figured since Xenoverse 1-2's main story was about going through time I figured there would be at least 1 or 2 levels from Dragon Ball, but still nothing. No characters, no stages, nothing.

I understand that for DLC you want to hype people up with the current content in the franchise which is Super, but the Extra Packs were my shining hope that it'll have something like Kid Goku, Roshi or Mercenary Tao as characters. They'd get people more excited for the DLC than ANOTHER Buu, Android 13 without the transformation and Dabura. While I was typing I forgot Tapion was also in the pack, which is odd because Hirudegarn ain't in this game...

They don't mind giving little snippets of it like Yamcha's bandit outfit, King Piccolo's outfit and others with also a few moves like "Rock, Scissors, Paper" but c'mon we need more than that. There's a lot of material to work with from Dragon Ball!

Do you guys want Dragon Ball content in Xenoverse, or are you guys fine with getting more Super and Z content in the updates and Packs?
You have no idea how long I've been begging for this. Kid Goku would be one of the most unique characters in XV3, utilizing his power-pole & nimbus cloud within his combos (also, potentially with the power pole pro awoken skill). "But, they can't fly!" It's Xenoverse, they can easily make a what-if scenario to have an excuse for them flying... or just give them jetpacks like Hercule. Kid Goku, Kid Krillin (eh... maybe), Roshi, Demon King Piccolo, & Arale would be, imo, EXCELLENT additions to the XV3 roster. While they're at it, give us some OG DB variations for characters such as bandit Yamcha, OG DB Tien, OG DB Piccolo (w/ giant Namekian!), Jackie Chun Roshi, etc. We can also throw in some cool ass what-if scenarios such as, what if Kid Goku went Super Saiyan against Demon King Piccolo, what if Beerus woke up early (I'd kind of prefer this on a quest when Majin Buu is attempting to kill Supreme Kai and Beerus & you have to stop him, but I digress), & what if Arale showed up against Cell.

User avatar
Lightdasher
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:09 pm
Location: South Carolina, USA

Re: I'm Surprised After 6 DLC Packs in Xenoverse 2 There's Still No Original Dragon Ball

Post by Lightdasher » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:57 pm

Very much agreed! If no others, I'd at least love for Kid Goku and Arale to make an appearance. Heck, the "Flying Nimbus!" Super Soul is even called Goku's, but no version of the character in the game can use it. I'm very much hoping for him to make it into Xenoverse 3, should there be a thing, as I'd find it to be quite a missed opportunity otherwise.
Logania brings up a good point too; I'd forgotten he can dash into the air at will, as any other character in Budokai 3, and stay there with no issue. I think there's something to be said for logic not being as much of an issue if said logic would be the reason for less fun. As far as videogames go anyway.
"Set a good example, represent what you think the community should be, and just be awesome." -VegettoEX, 2017.

User avatar
Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5748
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:57 am

Re: I'm Surprised After 6 DLC Packs in Xenoverse 2 There's Still No Original Dragon Ball

Post by Kanassa » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:01 pm

I don't think it's a matter of people not wanting to add Dragon Ball content, simply that not many people really give that much of a shit when it comes to OG Dragon Ball content in a game. If no substantial amount of people are really clamoring to see such things in Xenoverse, why would DIMPs be aiming to add them?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:


Obligitory Fan Fic Plug: Dragon Ball - Another Road
Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

User avatar
Grimlock
I Live Here
Posts: 4978
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: I'm Surprised After 6 DLC Packs in Xenoverse 2 There's Still No Original Dragon Ball

Post by Grimlock » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:05 pm

Logania wrote:For the case of 13, it's not that he's in the game at all that I don't like, It's just him and Bojack have no place in the story mode really aside from 13 being there with the other androids that one mission and Bojack isn't anywhere at all. Not to mention they have no transformations or anything from their movie they're based in, they're just...there. Tapion at least had a purpose in the altered history by sealing Zamasu instead of just being a guy that fights like the other 2. I'd like for them to have some kind of importance in it.
Dabura had some potential for the story but he was kinda just thrown in at the end. With how he's related with 2 of the original characters story is based around I figured they'd make him a lot more central to it but he's just at the mission with Buu and then he has the cutscene at the time nest and you fight with him and Vegeta.
Bojack isn't in the Infinite History because he can't contribute at all to it. Unlike Android 13 as you mentioned, he's an android and therefore has a meaning to appear in Cell saga/along with the other androids.

As for their transformations, well, I don't like them so to me is a big whatever. I prefer them in base form as it is. And Dabura was the central to it. Actually there's more to him than meets the eye, since it was revealed he was the one changing history since Majin Buu saga. It's a DLC so the story would be shorter, which would obviously limit things but still, he played a major role within the possible.
Logania wrote:I haven't 100% Tokipedia so maybe there's some cutscenes and things I'm missing for the movie characters but so far they have little to no importance which is sad as they're paid DLC that's in the story mode..
Please remember and understand that the Infinite History was not meant to showcase the movie villains. It was to present Fu. They were all "tools" there for the bigger picture, not the real deal.

Post Reply