"Dragon Ball Legends" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Legends" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Noah » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:47 pm

Seeing how most Battle 51's of Legends events are pretty harsh to beat, that Android 21 one was kinda disappointing, did it on the first try.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:19 am

Noah wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:47 pm Seeing how most Battle 51's of Legends events are pretty harsh to beat, that Android 21 one was kinda disappointing, did it on the first try.
Same for me. Went in expecting a challenge and instead just steamrolled through it. Yesterday I managed to finish all the challenges in the "Just Try to Surpass Me" event. Now that was difficult........ those mystery tickets better be worth it.

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:14 pm

*Crazy* luck this week. Pulled the new Lunch and Yamucha units on a daily and a ticket from the dual coin shop respectively. Not trying for the new EX Roshi, but I'm sure I'll get him in time. I think his new card features the best card art in the whole game.

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:00 pm

So the new transforming Demon King Piccolo unit from the V-Jump leaks sounds kind of cool. The one thing I'm wondering about is if he, when he transforms, seals off the dragon balls from both players permanently. If so that is such a crazy ability for a unit to have. Totally game changing. If it's only for his own side then I'd say that better be one hell of a transformation.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:46 am

Is it possible to beat whatever story mode is available without paying real money if I don't care about hard modes or PVP or collecting everything, just seeing the story?
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:23 am

TobyS wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:46 am Is it possible to beat whatever story mode is available without paying real money if I don't care about hard modes or PVP or collecting everything, just seeing the story?
It's pretty possible, but collecting stuff from training missions and such makes leveling up quicker.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:39 pm

TobyS wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:46 am Is it possible to beat whatever story mode is available without paying real money if I don't care about hard modes or PVP or collecting everything, just seeing the story?
There is no pay wall for the story. As soon as it's available, you can go through it. You do have to work with the energy you've got, with each mission usually costing one energy to attempt, but the game throws a lot of free energy at you. I never once ran out. The game is, in general, extremely generous for a mobile game.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:12 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:39 pm
There is no pay wall for the story. As soon as it's available, you can go through it. You do have to work with the energy you've got, with each mission usually costing one energy to attempt, but the game throws a lot of free energy at you. I never once ran out. The game is, in general, extremely generous for a mobile game.
Thanks I've been needing a DB fix and so was trying to find a complete story summary online but couldn't
so Thanos style "fine I'll do it myself!"

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:59 am

TobyS wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:12 pm
Thanks I've been needing a DB fix and so was trying to find a complete story summary online but couldn't
You are not really missing much. It's the generic and classic story known from games before, where they try to utilize the full roster and make sure that it vaguely makes sense... In Shin Budokai, it was Movie 12 and dimension warp, in Shin Budokai 2 it was Buu arc in Trunks' future which was cool at the beginning but then you had Babidi to create puppets etc. through FighterZ to Legends, it is just everyone versus everyone without any groundbreaking, with someone evil behind the scenes organizing the stuff and I believe the reveal will be underwhelming here.

But... I haven't played the game for over a year now, is it better than it was? Or it is the same repetitive grind as it was?
I enjoyed the game as it was simpler, but they have added in so much missions and things to do compiled with daily missions, that I spent hours on mobile game and rather spend that time on regular console, when I have the time.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:39 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:59 am
TobyS wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:12 pm

You are not really missing much. It's the generic and classic story known from games before, where they try to utilize the full roster and make sure that it vaguely makes sense... In Shin Budokai, it was Movie 12 and dimension warp, in Shin Budokai 2 it was Buu arc in Trunks' future which was cool at the beginning but then you had Babidi to create puppets etc. through FighterZ to Legends, it is just everyone versus everyone without any groundbreaking, with someone evil behind the scenes organizing the stuff and I believe the reveal will be underwhelming here.

But... I haven't played the game for over a year now, is it better than it was? Or it is the same repetitive grind as it was?
I enjoyed the game as it was simpler, but they have added in so much missions and things to do compiled with daily missions, that I spent hours on mobile game and rather spend that time on regular console, when I have the time.
The plot on paper is super generic. You're basically going through DB history, but with Shallot instead of Goku. However, the execution is good...in its high points. It has a lot of padding to make it longer, but the characterization is very good. This and FighterZ basically turned Nappa into a much more enjoyable character. They also have these twists to keep things fresh, like the times you team up with the characters who are supposed to be the villains, sometimes against a foe that wasn't there in the original version of events. Now since they got to their version of the Buu saga, they're basically doing their own thing now. It's all original plot now.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:04 pm

So I started playing and I have no idea what I'm doing there's so many different types and currencies and stuff for no reason.

When you get two of the same cards the combine and a star appears but it's unclear what that does.

I can't level my guy above 5000 because I need more tiles but it doesn't tell me what they are and where to get them.

Sometimes I can use the same card on a different team and other times if i take a card out it disappears.

I can't reliably dodge on chromebook but somehow I'm horrifically over leveled for the story mode but I think that gap will close soon.

I have rarer cards but my weaker cards with more experience are stronger, so when I swap say yamcha for gogeta my teams power level drops, but it should really show me the base stats or potential stats...

There's seemingly types like pokemon with little symbols but I don't know how to see, i can only kinda guess using auto select or seeing who has an up or down arrow on team selection. Sometimes they have an up and down arrow, presumably they are strong against one of the enemy fighters but not the other, but it doesn't tell me which....

Weird game...

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:18 pm

TobyS wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:04 pm So I started playing and I have no idea what I'm doing there's so many different types and currencies and stuff for no reason.

When you get two of the same cards the combine and a star appears but it's unclear what that does.

I can't level my guy above 5000 because I need more tiles but it doesn't tell me what they are and where to get them.

Sometimes I can use the same card on a different team and other times if i take a card out it disappears.

I can't reliably dodge on chromebook but somehow I'm horrifically over leveled for the story mode but I think that gap will close soon.

I have rarer cards but my weaker cards with more experience are stronger, so when I swap say yamcha for gogeta my teams power level drops, but it should really show me the base stats or potential stats...

There's seemingly types like pokemon with little symbols but I don't know how to see, i can only kinda guess using auto select or seeing who has an up or down arrow on team selection. Sometimes they have an up and down arrow, presumably they are strong against one of the enemy fighters but not the other, but it doesn't tell me which....

Weird game...
Did you skip over the tutorial?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:03 am

I don't think so but either way that's waaay to much information to retain in one sitting.

I'm the kinda guy who has to make notes and reread them for stuff at my job till I've done the task 100 times

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:45 am

The game was pretty easy at launch, but I can imagine the horror and confusion of recent newcomers, as even I was puzzled by some new events and mechanics introduced later. But be happy that there is so much to do. Yes, it is time consuming, but you never run out of actual play in contrast to other mobile games, that have paywall gatcha systems or limited energy for quests that does replenish slowly or by buying it.

Legends is pretty generous and even the summons are not limited by any crazy crap like special summon cards and other stuff that makes you spend tons of money... and the irony is, that it kinda pissed me off, that with money, you just boy more crystals, but you have the same chance on summon as free to play player has, so it is pretty much pointless to spend money on this game, as in Galaxy of Heroes or Power Rangers, you can just buy specific shards that you need.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:46 pm

So it turns out the colours match the little symbols and you can see the colours on the cards, Shallot is colourless.

I can't seem to get anyone over 5000 but it did let me upgrade boost some of Shallots stats finally.

My goku and new super limit broke blue goku disappeared because I had accidentally filtered away blue characters...

I'm slowly progressing through the game, I'm doing all daily side missions and shoving all my superfluous characters into training all the time.

I don't get the energy bar, you can adventure for energy and convert it in the shop but there's also a counter that goes to like 9999 under the bar itself.

I have earned one reward by doing 100 missions but it wont let be claim it and doesn't say why.

I guess I need to watch the tutorial again because I can't vanish step and just moving side to side isn't the same thing.

Whats the best thing to spend the see through crystals on? summons?

What are the roman numeral things, are they spirit boosting? How is that different from clicking and buying the individual upgrade icons.
What advantage does limit breaking confer?

What happens when you get a duplicate card after you are already max limit broken, is it recycled?

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:18 am

TobyS wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:46 pm So it turns out the colours match the little symbols and you can see the colours on the cards, Shallot is colourless.

I can't seem to get anyone over 5000 but it did let me upgrade boost some of Shallots stats finally.

My goku and new super limit broke blue goku disappeared because I had accidentally filtered away blue characters...

I'm slowly progressing through the game, I'm doing all daily side missions and shoving all my superfluous characters into training all the time.

I don't get the energy bar, you can adventure for energy and convert it in the shop but there's also a counter that goes to like 9999 under the bar itself.

I have earned one reward by doing 100 missions but it wont let be claim it and doesn't say why.

I guess I need to watch the tutorial again because I can't vanish step and just moving side to side isn't the same thing.

Whats the best thing to spend the see through crystals on? summons?

What are the roman numeral things, are they spirit boosting? How is that different from clicking and buying the individual upgrade icons.
What advantage does limit breaking confer?

What happens when you get a duplicate card after you are already max limit broken, is it recycled?
Yes. White (Shallot) beats black (certain NPCs only). Black beats every other color. Blue > red > yellow > purple > green > blue..

5000 is currently the level cap, if I'm not mistaken.

You shouldn't be losing characters... Sure you got enough to unlock them?

You get ten free energy that refills a bar every ten minutes, plus energy reserves, which can fill up to 9999.

Vanish by double swiping when an attack is coming. But you can't abuse it. It has limits. There's a bar that fills slowly after use.

I try to be conservative with my crystals until I see a summon banner with something I really want. Make sure you do those weekend summons with the 50% chance of a Sparking character. BTW, Hero = Common, Extreme = Rare, Sparking = Super Rare. Dunno why they gotta be cute by abandoning the usual terminology for this type genre of game. Just don't use crystals to recharge energy. That's such a waste...

So there are levels you get from XP, Limit Breaks, which you get from summons and allow you to yo spend souls to increase your stats, and then there are certain characters that can Zenkai Boost. Not all can do that, but those who can basically get double the panels for upgrading their characters, plus they get stronger passives that make specific types of characters stronger. So they're like team leaders. How you get points for Zenkai Boosts vary by character. Zenkai level is shown by the roman numerals on their character profile, plus the gold border that gets more shiny each level. Zenkai panels use different souls, and are very resource expensive.

If you get a character past their limit for limit breaking, the excess points are converted into tokens that can be exchanged for other stuff. Nothing's wasted.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:39 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:18 am
Yes. White (Shallot) beats black (certain NPCs only). Black beats every other color. Blue > red > yellow > purple > green > blue..

You get ten free energy that refills a bar every ten minutes, plus energy reserves, which can fill up to 9999.

Vanish by double swiping when an attack is coming. But you can't abuse it. It has limits. There's a bar that fills slowly after use.

I try to be conservative with my crystals until I see a summon banner with something I really want. Make sure you do those weekend summons with the 50% chance of a Sparking character. BTW, Hero = Common, Extreme = Rare, Sparking = Super Rare. Dunno why they gotta be cute by abandoning the usual terminology for this type genre of game. Just don't use crystals to recharge energy. That's such a waste...

So there are levels you get from XP, Limit Breaks, which you get from summons and allow you to yo spend souls to increase your stats, and then there are certain characters that can Zenkai Boost. Not all can do that, but those who can basically get double the panels for upgrading their characters, plus they get stronger passives that make specific types of characters stronger. So they're like team leaders. How you get points for Zenkai Boosts vary by character. Zenkai level is shown by the roman numerals on their character profile, plus the gold border that gets more shiny each level. Zenkai panels use different souls, and are very resource expensive.

If you get a character past their limit for limit breaking, the excess points are converted into tokens that can be exchanged for other stuff. Nothing's wasted.
Ah ok I took Shallot out because he's already 5000 but I've been upgrading those little tiles and then upgrading the central white tile when possible. I see now it suggests where to get upgrade parts of you are short on some. It's fiddly but thorough.

So losing the character was just that I had filtered out blue characters so that's sorted now.

I don't think I'll ever be able to vanish playing this on a laptop.... Maybe with a mouse...

Are the summon banners the things that way like 1000 equals guaranteed SP and a ticket, or a freebie? That message?

So I guess I just haven't got to zenkai boosting yet. But the rest makes sense.

Good thing about the recycling on cards past 7 stars...

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:21 pm

TobyS wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:39 am
ZeroNeonix wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:18 am

Ah ok I took Shallot out because he's already 5000 but I've been upgrading those little tiles and then upgrading the central white tile when possible. I see now it suggests where to get upgrade parts of you are short on some. It's fiddly but thorough.

So losing the character was just that I had filtered out blue characters so that's sorted now.

I don't think I'll ever be able to vanish playing this on a laptop.... Maybe with a mouse...

Are the summon banners the things that way like 1000 equals guaranteed SP and a ticket, or a freebie? That message?

So I guess I just haven't got to zenkai boosting yet. But the rest makes sense.

Good thing about the recycling on cards past 7 stars...
So when you go to the summons page, you have different options with different possible results for summons. Those different options are banners. They cycle through those, with new banners with new characters coming regularly.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:55 pm

So I'm learning more.

Where do I see what each characters clicky buff does?
Where do I see what the items do?

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:08 pm

TobyS wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:55 pm So I'm learning more.

Where do I see what each characters clicky buff does?
Where do I see what the items do?
You mean the Main Ability, activated by tapping the character's portrait? To see that, touch and hold the character's picture when setting up your party, and then tap "show details," and then to the Ability tab.

What items you talking about?