"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Game Project Z Action RPG" Announced.

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:51 pm

No offense to anyone, but I'm halfway wondering if we're even watching the same trailer. How can anyone look at what we saw in the trailer and think these graphics are bad? Are people just...THAT convinced now that every game is going to look like FighterZ? Because it's not, and nor should it. FighterZ is beautiful, I get it. But if absolutely every game had that exact same aesthetic, it would wear out it's welcome eventually.

Now, the concern of the game only going through the Freeza arc, I can understand a little better, because there's really no reason for that nowadays. However, until we see more, there's no guarantee that's all this game is doing, and if it does, they might have fleshed out the story enough to make up for it. Hell, 'Attack of the Saiyans' only goes through the Saiyan arc and nothing else, and it's still regarded as one of the better DB games in recent years.

And above all else, this is the first non-fighting console DB game we've gotten in a long time. How someone could not be excited for that alone is something I just...cannot comprehend.
Nickolaidas wrote:Holy crap, Nappa looks like shit in that pic in the left.
Are...are you judging this one pic here?

Where you can't even see half of his face? How...how are you finding issue with that much of a fraction of an image? I'm honestly curious.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:04 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Ugh. Raditz to Majin Boo again?

I mean, CC2 do have good track record when it comes to cinematic storytelling, but their RPG aspects have been unimpressive in the game I've seen them in.

I really hope there is more to the game than just playing as adult Goku through the second half of Dragon Ball's story, because it's been done dozens of times before and it doesn't get anymore interesting when it's retold again.
AnzuMazaki wrote:
Draconic wrote:"This is the tale of the mysterious Dragon Balls... only we're starting it in the middle! The tale of Son Goku, the one they call Kakarot... only we're skipping his childhood"

Seriously, what a lame fucking trailer.
IKR? I mean, they were ONLY omitted from Xenoverse because they can't fly!!
This game was the perfect game NOT to have the OG DB be treated as a "Goku grew up in peace on earth" block of text between Bardock and Raditz for once!

instead it's Raditz to Buu again (aside from XV and FighterZ).... :(
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Draconic wrote:"This is the tale of the mysterious Dragon Balls... only we're starting it in the middle! The tale of Son Goku, the one they call Kakarot... only we're skipping his childhood"

Right? Nothing here excited me at all. How many times we gonna see the same shit over & over? Yawn.

First off. We aint getting a game that covers the OG DB series because not enough fans, casual or not, care enough about the series or have even seen it to buy a game on it. As it stands, DBZ is still the most popular iteration of the DB franchise with Super closing the gap.

Second off, the last few years, we've only been getting Cac/original stories and tbh, they've basically just been stories that are too lazy to come up with enough new original characters for a story and instead just had evil versions of characters we already know and the same cast of good guys instead of new good guys. We just had fighterZ and XV2 and we're getting SDBH this year and prob XV3 and FighterZ 2 after. Y'all really shouldn't be THAT annoyed that we're getting a Raditz to seemingly Buu game this time.

Third off, chances are Goku isn't gonna be the ONLY playable character since he's not the ONLY one who fights in the series.

Finally, WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT LOOKS BAD!?
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:20 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:No offense to anyone, but I'm halfway wondering if we're even watching the same trailer. How can anyone look at what we saw in the trailer and think these graphics are bad? Are people just...THAT convinced now that every game is going to look like FighterZ? Because it's not, and nor should it. FighterZ is beautiful, I get it. But if absolutely every game had that exact same aesthetic, it would wear out it's welcome eventually.

Now, the concern of the game only going through the Freeza arc, I can understand a little better, because there's really no reason for that nowadays. However, until we see more, there's no guarantee that's all this game is doing, and if it does, they might have fleshed out the story enough to make up for it. Hell, 'Attack of the Saiyans' only goes through the Saiyan arc and nothing else, and it's still regarded as one of the better DB games in recent years.

And above all else, this is the first non-fighting console DB game we've gotten in a long time. How someone could not be excited for that alone is something I just...cannot comprehend.

Where you can't even see half of his face? How...how are you finding issue with that much of a fraction of an image? I'm honestly curious.
I love how that Vegeta looks
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:21 pm

I must say that, unfortunately, I am not too pleased by this trailer.
The models shown so far look great, but they aren’t very polished (at least so far). Also most of the trailer showed cutscenes with only a brief hint of gameplay at the end, which had some hideous backgrounds for a 2019 game. I am also quite disappointed that it seems like the game will only go up to Freeza and that, possibly, only Goku will be playable.
I will wait for more information and some gameplay videos to be fully convinced of whether or not this is worth being hyped for, but right now my hype has been lowered a lot.
I just hope that, with those graphics, at least the game will be a true open world game and not zone-based open world like the LoG games, but the city shown far away in the last frames make me hopeful it’s truly open world, and I hope that we will be able to fly all over it.
And I really, really want a nice fighting system for seamless battles in the open world. Something similar to BT3 but of course with RPG elements. Beating Xenoverse 2’s combat system shouldn’t be too hard.
There’s also still a big concern about whether or not this will have any replay value. Which is why I want a nice fighting system so that maybe they can add a local and online VS mode.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:25 pm

Graphics are fine, for what was shown.

Just disappointed that its once again, Raditz on up. Was hoping for an original storyline like the Xenoverse series or even FighterZ. Not necessarily a CaC game, but an original story.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:33 pm

emperior wrote: which had some hideous backgrounds for a 2019 game
Hideous!? Where?! Did you want some kind of realistic world with realistic buildings and trees which would look much worse as it would clash with the style of the character models?

I actually like you to point out what specifically looks hideous and why.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:41 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:

https://i.postimg.cc/cJ9Ls6m5/Nappa.png

If you have a larger screen resolution you can see his whole face. I don't have an opinion on how it looks, though. The whole background, by the way.

A game that treated itself seriously as a storytelling medium could make retreading these same grounds a great experience. Maybe even a better experience. Video games are my favorite storytelling medium nowadays, RPGs especially. Somehow I doubt this game will be that ambitious, but that would be the appeal for a game like this to me.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:50 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
emperior wrote: which had some hideous backgrounds for a 2019 game
Hideous!? Where?! Did you want some kind of realistic world with realistic buildings and trees which would look much worse as it would clash with the style of the character models?

I actually like you to point out what specifically looks hideous and why.
I didn’t want a photorealistic world, I just wanted nice anime-like backgrounds. This seems to make the background a mix of anime-like and world-like, with the effect not really being that good in my opinion. Especially the Capsule Corp background, which has some really bad looking mountains in the distance and overall feels so lifeless.
Again, I hope the game still needs to be polished a little and that I will change my idea on the backgrounds too. I admit that it’s way too early to judge backgrounds going on from like 4 frames.
I want this game to be as good as possible with all my heart, because I loved the Legacy of Goku games and I am thrilled to play a CC2 ARPG Dragon Ball game on the PS4. I can’t wait for some long gameplay videos to have a better idea over what this game is.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:52 pm

Ohhh. My bad then, at least on the 'judging it from less than half his face' bit - I wasn't aware there was a way to see more of it. :oops:

That said though, I still don't see anything particularly 'bad' looking about it. Or any of the other screenshots and video we've been given.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:01 pm

I don't think the graphics look bad at all, but they feel to me like they are an improved version of XV's, which are good but not what I particularly like. I would like to move on from 3D.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:15 pm

emperior wrote:I am also quite disappointed that it seems like the game will only go up to Freeza and that, possibly, only Goku will be playable.
It's possible that only Goku will be playable, but I doubt it. It would take out a lot of events from the equation (a lot of things happen on Earth while he's in the afterlife, and he misses quite a lot of things on Namek for a good while too).

To have content and follow the story properly, I don't think they have any other choice than to switch to other characters sometimes during loads of chapter where Goku isn't doing anything new while a lot of new events occur elsewhere.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:35 pm

Looks-wise, I'm happy it isn't like that new One Piece: World Seeker game where you can barely see the source material (A generic-ass cityscape and some average grassy landscapes so far. Yeah, that looks like a One PIece Location...) in it and the subdued cartoony models look really awkward on a 'realistic' looking world.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:56 pm

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:12 pm

This game looks freaking amazing, kinda like One Piece: World Seeker so OP:WS now seems somewhat pale in comparison. That's not to say OP:WS is subpar, just in a different league.

Also, really glad Bandai didn't decide to release another Xenoverse cause that franchise is what it is, repetitive button-mashing gameplay without much variety (characters might have different attacks but they end up looking the same in the end).

Oh yeah, sucks this ain't coming to the Switch but graphically, it does look more than what the Switch can handle. Who knows, maybe they can downgrade it a bit. I was interested in Super Dragon Ball Heroes: World Mission but this game killed it. :)

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:34 pm

Hopefully the combat will be great as well as having an open world that actually has a lot of things to do instead of 80% of open world games just having a big map and that's it.

Graphics are ok, just the basic anime look that most games have. However I LOVE the classic anime look they're giving the designs, like Vegeta for instance looks so good in his Saiyan Saga design on here. Since CC2 is making it, I hope we have stylish cinematics on par with the Naruto Storm series.

Just hoping since we only see the Saiyan - Freeza saga that it's because they're in the early stages of development and will show Cell/Buu later on, because as cool as the idea is for an open world DB game, I don't want just 2 sagas and that's it.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:36 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

Right? Nothing here excited me at all. How many times we gonna see the same shit over & over? Yawn.
Ugh tell me about it are there really afraid to tell a new story.
Mostly active on discord.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:47 pm

The gr wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

Ugh tell me about it are there really afraid to tell a new story.
Meanwhile we’ve had XV, FighterZ, DBFusions, XV2, and DBL for the past few years and are getting SDBH World Mission and probably FighterZ 2 and XV3 after this DB ARPG.

Have you been living under a rock for the past few years? Everything we’ve been getting on the game side of DB is original! And with us prob getting more original stories sooner or later, you can’t deal with ONE new Raditz to seemingly Buu game that hasn’t been done in a while?

Whats worse is that you’re saying they (Bandai Namco since they’re the ones who chose CC2 to take this DBZ ARPG) are afraid to tell a new story when not just DB, but most of there recent anime games have had original stories rather than stories following their main series.

Son Dragon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Son Dragon » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:08 pm

You know viewing the trailers a second time around I think this game will turn out very well. Also knowing CC2 that clash with Piccolo at the beginning is probably game play, which is really good to hear. And it's like Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 1, hopefully we can also have a battle system that works with the enviroment as well. Although given most of the DB games we have today, I think it would be great to watch CC2 go even further beyond and include some sort of ground based combat in the game as well.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:40 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Have you been living under a rock for the past few years? Everything we’ve been getting on the game side of DB is original! And with us prob getting more original stories sooner or later, you can’t deal with ONE new Raditz to seemingly Buu game that hasn’t been done in a while?
No I'm aware of the other game you mentioned and I wanted them to keep that streak and if there going for a retelling can they at least not ignore DB since that always get ignored seriously those arc have good potential for RPG.
    I haven't even mentioned other animes game since I didn't even played them aside from that 1 Naruto game on the PSP so I'm only applying my statement to DB.
    Mostly active on discord.

AnimeNation101
    I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:47 pm

The gr wrote:
    AnimeNation101 wrote:
    No I'm aware of the other game you mentioned and I wanted them to keep that streak and if there going for a retelling can they at least not ignore DB since that always get ignored seriously those arc have good potential for RPG.
    • /list]I haven't even mentioned other animes game since I didn't even played them aside from that Naruto game on the PSP so I'm only applying to DB.
    For Dragon Ball, its not gonna get a console game based off of just that because not enough people care about or have even seen DB so it wouldn’t make enough money