"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:48 pm

The brief footage of Goku flying around a massive world looked interesting. I’m down for that.

Regarding the name, I guess it fits the pattern of the last thing, which was Dragon Ball Super: Broly and ended with Goku saying “call me Kakarot.”

In accordance with the pattern, the next thing we’re going to get is Dragon Ball GT: Vegeta. It’ll be a Sims-esque life simulator about raising a daughter and keeping your facial hair well groomed.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:17 am

Hey, the Pilaf Gang are back.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:23 am

Seeing as this is the game we are going to get, I want it to be a full ride and not stop at Frieza. I personally like the RPG elements for this game.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:39 am

Is there a version of the trailer with Japanese voices because holy fuck, I can't believe how bad the English voices (still) are.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:48 am

During an Ign interview, a producer was asked about the original DB and Super, he said that this will just cover the Z part of the story. He was also asked about it going beyond Freeza but he couldn't say so it looks like this may go up to Buu after all.

He said he can't talk about other characters but that the story will be as close to Z as possible and fans won't be disappointed.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:09 am

I’m glad we finally got some exploration gameplay showing what the main bulk of the game will be.
It seems like it will be pseudo open world with “zones”, but I won’t complain as it used to work well for Assassin’s Creed games before Black Flag and it doesn’t ruin the immersion.

What ruins the immersion is the graphics looking like that. They are bad. There’s no excuse for a game coming out in 2020 to look worse than Burst Limit, be it open world or not (even Xenoverse looked worse than Burst Limit strictly speaking about the character models).
I was hoping at least for some awesomely polished character models a la FighterZ, at the very least for Goku.
The menu had a “characters” voice so maybe Goku won’t be the only playable character. This would make the game so much better because it means that even if it’s just Saiyan arc and Freeza arc, we will be able to enjoy these awesome arcs in their entirety.

As for the combat, from what was shown right now it seems like it will be a Xenoverse-clone mechanics wise, which could end up being very repetitive. I get that this game is not just a fighting game, but the combat is still the main aspect of the game as I bet the side missions will mostly involve fighting and all the RPG grinding will be done in preparations for fights. It’s still too early to judge this aspect of the game, especially from just watching 2 fights in a 10 minutes video, but I will be very disappointed if this aspect turns out to be very barebones and repetitive.

Is it too hard to have a fighting system like Tenkaichi 2 and Tenkaichi 3 used to have 13 fucking years ago? That fighting system would be so damn good in a open world RPG game, as it had lots of varied combos, vanishes etcetera which surely made the gameplay feel like true to the anime with all the cool stuff that could be done.

I’m still interested in this game and I hope the remaining months of development will help CC2 polish this game better, and the idea of a opens world DBZ game is still fascinating which is why I want this game to be as good as possible, but I won’t hide my concerns. I loved the Legacy of Goku games so I should also like this game, even if it will probably have many issues.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:22 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7OLkTX1oxA

@3.09

Goku: Let's rumble, you robot bozos!

Jeez. How hard is it to get a decent localisation?

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:25 am

Man, they should've at least include the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai arc, to at least deepen the road from enemy to friend with Piccolo. The character models would be the same and then there will be tournament in Z.

I dunno, I will wait for reviews and such. The game looks nice and it looks like those Xenvoerse 2 cutscenes and everytime the cutscene plays, I am sad that Xenoverse 2 doesn't look like that!

What I am afraid of is amount of content and gameplay. I love RPGs like Final Fantasy and I grew up on Pokémon. This game looks like having real-time fighting mechanics like Xenoverse, so I hope the gameplay isn't dumbed down to just pushing buttons and QTE, but involves a little of skill and is fun. I don't want Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter level of technique, just that the mechanics arent't broken like in XV2 with hit boxes, timing and camera follow up.

And the content - Legacy Of Goku was fun, pocket RPG adventure, so it could be populated pretty well with that size and simple graphic presentation. I am woried, that in RPG this size the world will feel empty or that it will be more on rails like Final Fantasy XIII.
I would love the game to go to Buu, as being an oldtimer, I have played tons of Saiyan/Freeza arc games only. I'd love to have something complete, because PS4 lifespan is going to end, so probably no sequels. And I don't think this game was made with sequel in mind at all.
Also, if someone is hoping for DLC, it is crazy to think that they will add more major sagas like DLC. I can see them make something smaller, like Garlic Jr. or Turles Movie as DLC, but nothing more extensive.

Visually, it looks nice, but I will give it a time which always helped and because of reviews, I haven't played anything from Raging Blast 2 to Xenvoerse and it paid off.

UPDATE!

So I have watched the interview and have better picture. Arcs beyond Freeza hinted at, but so vaguely that it can't be confirmed.What I am excited about tough and hope we won't get shelved because of rights again or had to buy it for rudiculous price as DLC, is that the gameplay had the original Shunsuke Kikuchi score in it!!!
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:16 am

This implies we can switch characters
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:18 am

Kanassa wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:16 am This implies we can switch characters
If we could only play as Goku they would've said so but instead they said to wait for more info. We'll probably get to play as Piccolo, krillin, Gohan, Vegeta, & Future Trunks.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:22 am

I watched the gameplay footage and it's done nothing for me. Guess I just won't ever get into DB games ever again (last game I bought day one etc was Ultimate Blast that scarred me off DB games for life! Lol.)

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:49 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:22 am I watched the gameplay footage and it's done nothing for me. Guess I just won't ever get into DB games ever again (last game I bought day one etc was Ultimate Blast that scarred me off DB games for life! Lol.)
I don't blame you haha. Man that game sucked and had such little merit. The game play looked amazing to me but I'm just happy to see something different I think and I'm confident in where dbz games are at at the moment.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:41 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:22 am I watched the gameplay footage and it's done nothing for me. Guess I just won't ever get into DB games ever again (last game I bought day one etc was Ultimate Blast that scarred me off DB games for life! Lol.)
You should play XV2. It's full of content and things to do, it seven gets updates and DLCs despite being nearly 3 years old.

LimitbreakerKrillin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by LimitbreakerKrillin » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:45 am

well I'm pretty excited for this game, I love to explore the vast world of Dragon ball. I'm curious if the game will be modable, even if its just a simple recoloring texture mod would be nice.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:51 am

emperior wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:09 am
What ruins the immersion is the graphics looking like that. They are bad. There’s no excuse for a game coming out in 2020 to look worse than Burst Limit, be it open world or not (even Xenoverse looked worse than Burst Limit strictly speaking about the character models).
I was hoping at least for some awesomely polished character models a la FighterZ, at the very least for Goku.
The menu had a “characters” voice so maybe Goku won’t be the only playable character. This would make the game so much better because it means that even if it’s just Saiyan arc and Freeza arc, we will be able to enjoy these awesome arcs in their entirety.
This has been pretty split. Some are saying this is on the side if the more good looking DB games while others are saying it looks like a step down.

If anything, this game is the closest to Burst Limit in terms of visuals than any other DB game and if you ask me, Burst Limit was one of and still is one of the DB games with some of the most pleasing visuals. They visuals look closer to the actual anime than Xenoverse too. Xenoverse looks a little more “realistic” while this game falls on the side of more “anime-like” mainly due its cel-shading. But not every game is going to look like FighterZ or will even try it look like FighterZ. Which I'm ok with. It would get boring having every DB game look exactly the same, imo.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:13 am

Standard japanese reply "We cannot reveal that at the moment, but I'm sure the fans won't be let down!" when asked if it goes beyond Freeza saga. Of course... That's just to cover up for it NOT going beyond the Freeza saga.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:25 am

sintzu wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:48 am During an Ign interview, a producer was asked about the original DB and Super, he said that this will just cover the Z part of the story. He was also asked about it going beyond Freeza but he couldn't say so it looks like this may go up to Buu after all.

He said he can't talk about other characters but that the story will be as close to Z as possible and fans won't be disappointed.
If the game was only to cover the Saiyajin and Feeza arcs, then there's no reason for them to hide it by saying we should expect more information, right? The same goes for the possibility of playing with other characters. Despite this, I think the gameplay seems a bit more stuck than Xenoverse, I hope they improve it

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:26 am

Really? I have been scared off from DBZ games ever since Ultimate Tenkaichi. I am beyond sick of the what if arcs of Coola going back in time to help Freeza on Namek, or Time Patrol situations which just gives you Freeza with a dark back aura. I’m all for the Time stuff, but they have done it to death in every media possible. If your going to retell the story tell it right, otherwise make a new saga is how I see it. I feel like the whole time stuff was brought into Console games when thet got tired of covering the same material.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:07 am

Why not give Fighterz a try? It's a great game. Xenoverse 1 and 2 are okay, if a bit hit and miss.

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:25 am

This is really godawful thus far. To still be attached to Z when we are this far into 2019 is hilariously absurd. Maybe if this game had came out in 2007, I’d have felt differently. This is stealing elements from far more better RPGs out there. That’s a no from me, dog. Looks like I’m at the end of my ropes when it comes to DB games.