"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:37 am

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:25 amIf the game was only to cover the Saiyajin and Feeza arcs, then there's no reason for them to hide it by saying we should expect more information, right? The same goes for the possibility of playing with other characters.
Exactly. It's clear there's still more to be announced in the coming months.
mfwlegend3 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:25 amThis is really godawful thus far. To still be attached to Z when we are this far into 2019 is hilariously absurd.
I'd agree if it was just a fighting game but it isn't, it's something very different from what we've gotten in the past so we should at least give it the benefit of the doubt.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:45 am

This is the one time I'm going to play a Dragon Ball game entirely in Japanese. The lip sync for the Xenoverse games in English drove me insane. Since this new game is heavily story-driven, I want to experience it without the lip sync throwing me off.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:23 am

sintzu wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:37 am
TheSaiyanGod wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:25 amIf the game was only to cover the Saiyajin and Feeza arcs, then there's no reason for them to hide it by saying we should expect more information, right? The same goes for the possibility of playing with other characters.
Exactly. It's clear there's still more to be announced in the coming months.
mfwlegend3 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:25 amThis is really godawful thus far. To still be attached to Z when we are this far into 2019 is hilariously absurd.
I'd agree if it was just a fighting game but it isn't, it's something very different from what we've gotten in the past so we should at least give it the benefit of the doubt.
They didn't say either. And they didn't say we should expect more information. It was just a very standard reply to not answer the question.

I typed down just now what was said by the interpretor:

Will this go beyond the Freeza saga?

We can't reveal that as of yet, but I think, going back to what I mentioned earlier, it's going to be a
very diverse event, fun experience for the fans, and we promess not the let them down."

Source: https://youtu.be/B9m0ezD_RtY?t=564

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:50 am

The menu hinted of other characters, and it was written that certain missions must be done “as Goku” on the UI, so it’s quite obvious that we will be able to play different characters.
They also want it to feel like the manga and want to follow the TV series, and we also got cutscenes of Z Fighters vs Nappa so it’s quite a given considering all of this that the game will have multiple playable characters.

As for post Freeza content, maybe they are still deciding on whether or not including other Z arcs? This covering all of Z would be awesome, but considering the name of the game I think it’s quite unlikely.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:07 am

After rewatching the trailer and actually looking at the gameplay, the game doesn't look and feel that bad to me anymore. The RPG-esque style is pretty intriguing I suppose, but I wish the graphics looked just a tad bit better, but it's alright for what it is. I know it's Z's anniversary, but going back to the DBZ story schematics is all but fun at this point (at least to me). If we could have a version of this game, but going over OG DB and Super (and maybe even GT as an alternate extension/DLC) than that would be perfect. I'm tired of these Z re-tellings. :(

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:11 am

mfwlegend3 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:25 am This is really godawful thus far. To still be attached to Z when we are this far into 2019 is hilariously absurd. Maybe if this game had came out in 2007, I’d have felt differently. This is stealing elements from far more better RPGs out there. That’s a no from me, dog. Looks like I’m at the end of my ropes when it comes to DB games.
To be fair, this is seemingly an anniversary game for DBZ’s 30th anniversary. And over the past 11 years, with the exception of Battle of Z and DBZ for Kinect, we’ve only been getting games with original stories so I dont really see the problem with going back to Z just this once. This is also a good thing for the new fans Super has pulled in that have never played the other DB games with the Z storyline before. And on top of all of that, Z is still DB’s most popular series. So its not “hilariously absurd” at all, imo.

I dont get what you mean by it “stealing elements.” These other games you’re thinking of dont just own elements like fishing or free roaming or hunting. These are all things that fall under the gaming genre that is RPG. No game owns the elements and therefore DBZ Kakarot isn’t stealing anything from any game. Thats not even a good reason to not like the game. You can say that you dont like those elements and features but saying DBZ Kakarot stole them as a reason for not liking the game isn’t a real reason.

emperior wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:50 am The menu hinted of other characters, and it was written that certain missions must be done “as Goku” on the UI, so it’s quite obvious that we will be able to play different characters.
They also want it to feel like the manga and want to follow the TV series, and we also got cutscenes of Z Fighters vs Nappa so it’s quite a given considering all of this that the game will have multiple playable characters.

As for post Freeza content, maybe they are still deciding on whether or not including other Z arcs? This covering all of Z would be awesome, but considering the name of the game I think it’s quite unlikely.
They keep stressing that this game will stay true to the DBZ experience and will recreate the manga accurately. They’re also saying they wont let the fans down. And previous experience with these interviews has told us that when we dont get straight answers or they say that they cant talk about it yet, chances are the answer to the question is “yes”.

The only thing that hints at it only going up to Namek is that “Kakarot” as a name was more important and had more meaning in the Saiyan Saga and Namek saga than the Cell and Buu ones.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:13 am

superfan2024 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:07 am After rewatching the trailer and actually looking at the gameplay, the game doesn't look and feel that bad to me anymore. The RPG-esque style is pretty intriguing I suppose, but I wish the graphics looked just a tad bit better, but it's alright for what it is. I know it's Z's anniversary, but going back to the DBZ story schematics is all but fun at this point (at least to me). If we could have a version of this game, but going over OG DB and Super (and maybe even GT as an alternate extension/DLC) than that would be perfect. I'm tired of these Z re-tellings. :(
The way I see it is, this ARPG open world-esc game genre is what many fans have wanted for a long time. So even if you dont want a Z retelling, buy the game so Bamco can know that you at the very least, liked the ARPG open world-esc style of the game. So for a sequel we can get a Super version or hell, even an original story.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:33 am

superfan2024 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:07 amIf we could have a version of this game, but going over OG DB and Super (and maybe even GT as an alternate extension/DLC) than that would be perfect. I'm tired of these Z re-tellings. :(
I think that would be too much for one game. What I wish they would've done is started with the original DB for the first game while leaving Z for the 2nd game. If we're lucky we may get some parts of DB as DLC such as the 23rd Tenkaichi.
emperior wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:50 amAs for post Freeza content, maybe they are still deciding on whether or not including other Z arcs?
That would've been decided on before the game went into production.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:36 am

sintzu wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:33 am
superfan2024 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:07 amIf we could have a version of this game, but going over OG DB and Super (and maybe even GT as an alternate extension/DLC) than that would be perfect. I'm tired of these Z re-tellings. :(
I think that would be too much for one game. What I wish they would've done is started with the original DB for the first game while leaving Z for the 2nd game. If we're lucky we may get some parts of DB as DLC such as the 23rd Tenkaichi.
That would've been decided on before the game went into production.
Super's story isnt really right for a game like this anywyay.

I'm actually happy we got a strictly Z game for once. But considering the first trailer we got a few months ago showed Goku vs Piccolo, maybe we might get a 23rd WT as a prologue fight? I doubt it tbh but who knows.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:08 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:36 amSuper's story isnt really right for a game like this anywyay.
They'd have to change things up for it to work, which is what they're doing with this game. There's also the issue of Super's stories being very short so they'd have to wait for more content to focus an entire game on.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:28 pm

That fishing minigame is beyond bizarre, but the gameplay for this game looks very promising. Even if this game does just go until the end of the Frieza arc, I'm probably going to buy this.

Also, this might be a little off topic, but the gameplay might have pointed out a plot hole in Dragon Ball. When a person grabs Goku's tail, he loses all of his strength and falls over. But when a fish grabs his tail, he's fine and he reels them in? Wut? I know it's detached (and he saved it for some reason?), but it's a reference to what Goku used to do in the original Dragon Ball series.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:37 pm

sintzu wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:08 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:36 amSuper's story isnt really right for a game like this anywyay.
They'd have to change things up for it to work, which is what they're doing with this game. There's also the issue of Super's stories being very short so they'd have to wait for more content to focus an entire game on.
Yeah. I always understood that Super wouldn’t fit for a game like this but I’ve only recently understood the reason why.

Unlike DB and DBZ, with Super, there is a lack of movement within each arc. For the most part, the characters or main conflict tends to stay in one place rather than move around or be in multiple places at different times in the arc. There is a lot less exploration or need for journeying.

Assuming this game is popular enough for a sequel, and the future of DB games looks like this:

XV3: 2021
FighterZ: 2022
DBSuper Kakarot: 2023

Hopefully Super has more arcs involving exploration which would be perfect for a DBS Kakarot game. Or you could always have an original story for the sequel.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:19 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:37 pm
sintzu wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:08 pm
Yeah. I always understood that Super wouldn’t fit for a game like this but I’ve only recently understood the reason why.

Unlike DB and DBZ, with Super, there is a lack of movement within each arc. For the most part, the characters or main conflict tends to stay in one place rather than move around or be in multiple places at different times in the arc. There is a lot less exploration or need for journeying.

Assuming this game is popular enough for a sequel, and the future of DB games looks like this:

XV3: 2021
FighterZ: 2022
DBSuper Kakarot: 2023

Hopefully Super has more arcs involving exploration which would be perfect for a DBS Kakarot game. Or you could always have an original story for the sequel.
To be fair, during the Saiyan arc we do not have much mobility either. In addition to the training between Gohan and Piccolo (which can be explored through mini games) the battle is basically concentrated in one place. I would say Freeza arc is where there is the greatest mobility because the characters are constantly changing scenery (and yet, we would need more playable characters because Goku gets off the screen most of the time).

In DBS we also do not have much mobility, but developers can do something interesting from this, as with the FT arc with the character moving through the destroyed future of Trunks or even during these sagas

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:36 pm

sintzu wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:33 am
Yeah, i'm saying that they should go over those series' but in separate games though. One game could be OG DB, the next game could be Z, and the next after could be Super (including Broly and Moro). Plus, Goku has a very prominent role in almost every Super arc so far, and Ultra Instinct is perfect for the "development" of his character so I really hope they do a version with Super especially. Again, GT could just be a DLC as an entire game for GT will be so insanely dull.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:54 pm

About the Combat System

Keep in mind that this isn’t a fighter or even 3D Arena brawler so a combo system as in depth as even Xenoverse shoudn’t be a part of your expectations.

From the gameplay I've seen, Goku seems to have one kind of combo with 3 different endings.

Ending 1: combo ends with a sledgehammer

Ending 2: combo ends with a ki blast

Ending 3: combo ends with a knockback punch

In addition to that, you have support characters and can active any super attack the support character has as a brief support attack. You also have your own super attacks. The support attacks and your own super attacks can help lengthen combos.

Imo, its very likely that Goku WON’T be the only playable character so each playable character will have their own unique combo and endings. I’d say all this is pretty good for a 1st game thats an ARPG.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:08 pm

From the gameplay they've shown, the open world looks VERY interesting and varied, but the combat appears to quite Xenoverse-styled, and I'm not a big fan of the combat in that game.

Visually, it's step down from FighterZ, and honestly that is inexecusable.

I'm sure there will be an open beta, and it really will be from that experence where I will be confident on whether to give this game a shot or pass on it.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:19 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:08 pm From the gameplay they've shown, the open world looks VERY interesting and varied, but the combat appears to quite Xenoverse-styled, and I'm not a big fan of the combat in that game.

Visually, it's step down from FighterZ, and honestly that is inexecusable.

I'm sure there will be an open beta, and it really will be from that experence where I will be confident on whether to give this game a shot or pass on it.
You’re setting yourself up for disappoint for many DB games in the future if you expect them to have visuals similar to FighterZ. Not every game is striving to 100% replicate the tv anime. DB games have always had unique styles. And its better this way. It’ll get boring if each DB game looks like the last with no visual uniqueness. But again, thats never going to happen because different games have different styles.

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:23 pm

Mixed on this. Yes to the (not so) Open World and no to the freaking tired out story and possible shallow combat system. I hope they can do more than that but knowing how CC2 games work, presentation over everything else. In the past, I've always wanted CC2 to do a DBZ game, but now I feel like this is a game they should've made last gen, but since they were too focused on the Naruto Storm series...
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:48 pm

The game looks promising, like a 2020 DBZ Sagas, even though we are still stuck in some sort of not-that-awesome-3D graphics that FighterZ broke out of. Open World and just being able to fly around like in the DBZ opening really entices me, I hope you can go SS and fly even faster, or learn Shunkanido and forget about flying.

But I can't say i'm too excited, mini-games from early Z map just seems a little dull to me now. Helping A-8 get a hold of some loose robots? or probably training kid Gohan, going through the snake way, chasing Bubbles or hitting Gregory. I would actually enjoy Goku and Piccolo getting a driver's licence though. Namek will def also have minigames like fighting 20 Appules or plant those namek trees, help some namek do house chores like in XV2 but better.
IDK, playing the non-fighting bits of 9 arcs ago that I watched 20 years ago probably won't keep my attention for that long. Just fast forward the story and let me skip getting some porno magazines for Roshi so he shall cook me something for dinner. Raditz was way too long ago to make me help Farmer with Shotgun build his house again after Raditz destroyed it. DB reached other universes, Goku will be defeating Moro while we'll be dropping apples for 4-yo Gohan when he falls sleep.
Or maybe I complain too much.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:54 pm

Really like what I saw about the open world. That gameplay video is exactly the kind of video I was expecting.
Now I'm curious about the roster and story length.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.