"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

emperior
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by emperior » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:18 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:15 pm
emperior wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:57 am
Kanassa wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:26 am

So, again, they look fine. Why is that a bad thing?
I am sorry but they don’t. If the game was made 10 years ago I would agree with you, but we are in 2019 and the game is coming out in 2020, yet the models are such a huge step down from FighterZ. If they aren’t able to provide quality ones they should have borrowed FighterZ ones.
Not to mention how subpar the (empty) landscapes look. I was expecting something a little better from a 2020 PS4 DBZ game. This looks very low budget.
First off, It’s more that you dont like the art style than it is that the game was just poorly made. Most are saying the game looks great and that CC2 is killing it (as they have done with the Naruto UNS series). Heck, this looks better than every DB game we’d have since Battle of Z besides FighterZ. AND this is one of the games closest looking to the anime than anything since Ultimate Tenkaichi. Not every game is going to look like FighterZ because not every game TRIES to look like FighterZ. Different games have different art styles. And a lot of the time its on purpose. Like some else said, expecting every DB game to have FighterZ graphics is like expecting every game to have BT3’s roster number.

As for the whole “empty landscapes” complaint, have you watched Dragon Ball? We’ve only been shown ONE landscape and its the generic most commonly known as “wasteland”. OF COURSE ITS EMPTY. This is a stupid complaint. If anything, the way the wasteland has been portrayed is accurate. The places that shouldn’t look empty are the places with people. But we haven’t been shown any places that are supposed to have people.
I don’t like the art style, right. This is my opinion of course, I don’t have to point it out. The game being poorly made is not something I specifically said, as it’s too soon to jump to that conclusion, but I definitely think the models should have been better. This doesn’t really look close to the anime though, that’s a reach. The fact it looks better than every game but FighterZ isn’t a merit of Kakarot but a demerit of the other games we got.

The landscapes being too empty is a valid complaint me and others have had. We could have some dinosaurs, animals, NPCs etcetera.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:29 pm

emperior wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:18 pm The landscapes being too empty is a valid complaint me and others have had. We could have some dinosaurs, animals, NPCs etcetera.
You mean...the three things that we very much have seen? Dinosaurs, animals, and NPC's? Heck, for NPC's we even have seen footage of Goku approaching and talking to Android 8 to get a side-quest started. And for animals, in addition to fish, we've already seen footage of deer Goku can take down for meat as well.

Could there be more of those things? Sure. And for all we know, there will be too. We still don't even know 100% how far into the story the game is even going to go, so to blanket assume we've already seen everything the game has to offer in regards to these things as well is a pretty big assumption.

I'm not trying to say anyone's not entitled to their opinion of course, but I just can't understand why anyone would want to tear down a game that we've seen so little of so far, but especially one that is something new (or at least rare) for the series for once. Even FighterZ, despite it's great gameplay and graphical presentation was, at the end of the day, just yet another in a long, long series of fighting games for the franchise. I'd much rather they try something new here again, like they seem to be doing.
Last edited by Gyt Kaliba on Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:39 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:29 pm
emperior wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:18 pm The landscapes being too empty is a valid complaint me and others have had. We could have some dinosaurs, animals, NPCs etcetera.
You mean...the three things that we very much have seen? Dinosaurs, animals, and NPC's? Heck, for NPC's we even have seen footage of Goku approaching and talking to Android 8 to get a side-quest started. And for animals, in addition to fish, we've already seen footage of deer Goku can take down for meat as well.

Could there be more of those things? Sure. And for all we know, there will be too. We still don't even know 100% how far into the story the game is even going to go, so to blanket assume we've already seen everything the game has to offer in regards to these things as well is a pretty big assumption.

I'm not trying to say anyone's not entitled to their opinionf of course, but I just can't understand why anyone would want to tear down a game that we've seen so little of so far, but especially one that is something new (or at least rare) for the series for once. Even FighterZ, despite it's great gameplay and graphical presentation was, at the end of the day, just yet another in a long, long series of fighting games for the franchise. I'd much rather they try something new here again, like they seem to be doing.
It’s absolutely not my intention to tear down this game, and I apologise for being so negative about it.
The reason why I’m complaining is because I really want this game to be as good as possible as I’ve been waiting for such a game for all my life, and although I know it will never meet all my expectations I would just like it if it could at least be the best it can be.
For me, anime-like graphics are a must for such a game to feel immersive. My dream would be for this to have a similar art style to Zelda, and a similar iconic world too. This is still just a DBZ retelling so the story isn’t something new I can look forward to (at least I’m interested in the eventual story additions).
Also, I will probably be buying this game either way, which is why I am hoping they will improve the weakest aspects that have been shown so far.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:27 pm

Special beam canon cutscene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udVKFsjb7Fo

Def one of the smoothest and fluid iterations of the scene I've ever seen in a db game. Love the look of Gohan powering up.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:47 am

emperior wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:48 pm
sintzu wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:57 am
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:05 amI've said it before, and I'll say it again - not everything has to look like FighterZ now, nor should it. Yes, FighterZ artstyle is amazing, but to expect every single Dragon Ball game to look the same now is setting yourself up for a major disappointment.
Expecting every DB game to look like FighterZ is like expecting every game to have BT3's roster size.
The problem with Kakarot’s graphics aren’t only the character models, but the way they are shaded and the overall art style of the game which mixes cel-shaded models with semi-realistic backgrounds which are not cel-shaded (or aren’t enough).
Considering how this is an anime game, I was expecting it to look more cartoonish than this.
I agree. I think the models themselves look okay, not great but okay. The environments however look very off. They don't have the same art style and look cheap. It's almost like they had those assets lying around meant to be used for an other game and just reused them.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:21 am

AnimeNation101 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:27 pm Special beam canon cutscene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udVKFsjb7Fo

Def one of the smoothest and fluid iterations of the scene I've ever seen in a db game. Love the look of Gohan powering up.
This is nice, I am glad this game isn’t shying away from showing stuff such as Goku and Raditz having a hole in their stomach and Tenshinan losing his arm. Piccolo also had some nice purple battle damage.
I hope that for the final game they can fix Goku’s outfit there to be more faithful to the anime/manga, unless it’s a player’s choice to keep the blue undershirt? Either way the damaged gi should look different in that part.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:08 am

This might be asking too much, but I hope the gi stuff is treated correctly, you receive a ki attack, then your clothes should suffer (but not in a pre-programmed way where damage is predisposed), that mountain receives a head-on Galick Ho, then it shouldn't be there anymore.

donkeyjack
Beyond Newbie

Post by donkeyjack » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:23 pm

This game looks just like the anime has the correct auras, beautiful landscapes and great models. I just can't see how anyone can say it looks horrible lmao.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:28 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:36 pm I hope they can add the old DBZ movie villains as bosses similar how the LOG games did.
This is something that I've been wondering about, given the recent movie. We now have two very different versions of Broly. We have original movie Broly, and now we have canon Broly from the Super series. If they have OG Broly, they can't later have Super Broly (likely in a sequel, not in this one) without it feeling really weird. They can't fall back on time travel and alternate realities this time. Perhaps they'll have a separate mode for stories from the movies? That could work, especially since the movies often don't fit very neatly in the DBZ timeline. Maybe we could even get False Super Saiyan Goku as a Lord Slug story exclusive transformation?

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:36 pm

Visually this game looks a lot better than Xenoverse 2. I'll take it.

Has it been (de)confirmed if Goku is the only playable character in the game?

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:26 pm

emperior wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:18 pm
emperior wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:57 am
I am sorry but they don’t. If the game was made 10 years ago I would agree with you, but we are in 2019 and the game is coming out in 2020, yet the models are such a huge step down from FighterZ. If they aren’t able to provide quality ones they should have borrowed FighterZ ones.
Not to mention how subpar the (empty) landscapes look. I was expecting something a little better from a 2020 PS4 DBZ game. This looks very low budget.
First off, It’s more that you dont like the art style than it is that the game was just poorly made. Most are saying the game looks great and that CC2 is killing it (as they have done with the Naruto UNS series). Heck, this looks better than every DB game we’d have since Battle of Z besides FighterZ. AND this is one of the games closest looking to the anime than anything since Ultimate Tenkaichi. Not every game is going to look like FighterZ because not every game TRIES to look like FighterZ. Different games have different art styles. And a lot of the time its on purpose. Like some else said, expecting every DB game to have FighterZ graphics is like expecting every game to have BT3’s roster number.

As for the whole “empty landscapes” complaint, have you watched Dragon Ball? We’ve only been shown ONE landscape and its the generic most commonly known as “wasteland”. OF COURSE ITS EMPTY. This is a stupid complaint. If anything, the way the wasteland has been portrayed is accurate. The places that shouldn’t look empty are the places with people. But we haven’t been shown any places that are supposed to have people.
The landscapes being too empty is a valid complaint me and others have had. We could have some dinosaurs, animals, NPCs etcetera.
Its really not. Most of the times in Dragon ball, when ever we see the wasteland, we see few dinosaurs roaming, no NPCs whatsoever, and few to no animals. Thats what the game has showed us, there are roaming dinosaurs but not too many, few roaming animals, and we even have few NPCs AND cars driving off road. Thats more activity in the wastelands than in the actual DBZ series.

And as i said before, the places like villages and cities are the ones that should be populated. And sure enough, the villages are:

And we haven’t even seen the cities yet. From what we’ve seen as of now, the world is just as empty or, if not, even a little bit LESS empty than how it is in DBZ.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:15 pm

Nickolaidas wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:36 pm Visually this game looks a lot better than Xenoverse 2. I'll take it.

Not exactly, but there is a party menu. While that may be used to manage your allies rather than switching who you're controlling, I doubt Goku will be the only playable character. I mean, if a character is functional enough to work as an NPC ally, why not let you take control of them? Plus, they chose to avoid the question when that came up. If Goku were the only playable character, I don't think they'd be choosing to hide that fact. But it makes perfect sense for a developer to remain tight lipped when they don't want to spoil any content they're not ready to share.

So I'd say it's possible that Goku is the only playable character, but it's very unlikely.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:35 pm

Nickolaidas wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:36 pm Visually this game looks a lot better than Xenoverse 2. I'll take it.

If the title is throwing you off, I believe is to separate itself from XV and FighterZ were you fight alongside Goku or he loans you his body but you are not him, here you ARE the characters.
I guess for now is only a matter of wondering if it's going to be a game where you follow Goku where DBZ didn't(training with Kaio, training inside the spaceship, recovering in Freeza's spaceship, escaping Namek, training with the Yadrats, being sick, being dead, being out of comission for pretty much the whole show) or if it's going to be a typical game covering the situations and not just the main character.
The first one is innovative and never done before I think, so it could happen, although it would mean there will be much less fights and characters because Goku never met Dodoria or Zarbon. The latter sounds much more interesting for a game, and I don't think they'll re-write the story so Goku can be a part of every sub-arc.
So, my money right now is on Goku not being just the only character available. Which doesn't mean we'll get to play as Krilin or Chaozu, maybe only as the top dogs, that would be Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta and maybe Trunks.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:14 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR6yOmJWW9M

Direct gameplay feed. Sounds like we're getting new arrangements of the Kikuchi score in addition to OG HEAD-CHA-LA and new music.

So that's a good sign, at least. :clap:
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:10 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:14 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR6yOmJWW9M

Direct gameplay feed. Sounds like we're getting new arrangements of the Kikuchi score in addition to OG HEAD-CHA-LA and new music.

So that's a good sign, at least. :clap:
I'll never speak ill of this game until I get to play it. Raditz's attack is awesome, I hope we can clash ki super attacks against another

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:29 am

AnimeNation101 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:26 pm
emperior wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:18 pm

Its really not. Most of the times in Dragon ball, when ever we see the wasteland, we see few dinosaurs roaming, no NPCs whatsoever, and few to no animals. Thats what the game has showed us, there are roaming dinosaurs but not too many, few roaming animals, and we even have few NPCs AND cars driving off road. Thats more activity in the wastelands than in the actual DBZ series.

And as i said before, the places like villages and cities are the ones that should be populated. And sure enough, the villages are:

And we haven’t even seen the cities yet. From what we’ve seen as of now, the world is just as empty or, if not, even a little bit LESS empty than how it is in DBZ.
I haven’t seen cars driving off road yet, but I will trust you on that.

More than the landscapes being empty I feel like the world isn’t “alive” enough. It feels sort of dull and static, but maybe that’s just me.

Either way the screenshot you posted shows my issues with the game’s graphics, which are probably with the backgrounds: they look like assets just put there. It’s very unpolished so I hope it won’t look like that in the final game because it’s really rough.

I don’t know why you have to keep defending this game at all costs. I will probably be buying it too (100% if it goes up until the end of Buu) but I can clearly see the issues this game has, and it’s such a shame because they should have had enough time and money to make a good game, and it’s not even fully open world.

Breath of the Wild on the FUCKIN WII U looked much better than Kakarot, and it was 1 year from release: https://youtu.be/Ze05xdORvYs
I think it’s inexcusable for a PS4 game to look worse than a Wii U one.

Zelda is a prime example of a world that is actually quite empty but feels full of life. That’s on the developers for being so good at crafting a huge memorable open world. The game’s story may not be much, but the exploration and the beautiful world is what made that game such a success.
Kakarot’s won’t be telling a new story, even non-fans know Dragon Ball Z’s story so as a open world game considering how the combat has already been made super simple it should at least have a nice looking world.
The fact that it can’t have a great looking world despite it not being full open world is quite laughable to me, but to each their own.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

donkeyjack
Beyond Newbie

Post by donkeyjack » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:08 am

Bro, you do know that BoTW is AAA game, right? And Kakarot isn't right?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:42 am

donkeyjack wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:08 am Bro, you do know that BoTW is AAA game, right? And Kakarot isn't right?
I know, but it will still be sold at the same price as BOTW (or maybe even higher).
With all the money they have made in the last few years with Dokkan Battle, Xenoverse, FighterZ and Legends I was hoping they could start treating this franchise much better regarding its main console video games, considering how this franchise is now worth more than ever.
Either way this not being an AAA game is not an excuse for it to look so bad. It already isn’t fully open world which is enough of a downside considering in these years most open world games feature a seamless world.
It’s also running on a UE4 which should be capable of much better graphics than what have been shown.

I will also repeat how my complaints mostly have to do with the game’s art direction which is lacklustre. I can even stand the low textures stuff, bad lightning, bad shading on the models, bad models or whatever bad graphical quality this game has but at least if they had some competent art director all of this could at least be covered up a little.

Maybe this has to do with CyberConnect2 not being as good as people make them out to be. They were kicked out of a Final Fantasy remaster because they weren’t doing a good job, which is quite concerning.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:55 am

emperior wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:42 amWith all the money they have made in the last few years with Dokkan Battle, Xenoverse, FighterZ and Legends I was hoping they could start treating this franchise much better regarding its main console video games, considering how this franchise is now worth more than ever.
I do agree with this point. Although the games we're getting are overall good, the franchise does make enough money to justify a jump into the AAA territory. There'll be a 4+ year gap between XV2 and XV3 so maybe, just maybe, it's getting the AAA treatment. It's worth noting that rumors suggest that XV3 will be a massive leap from 2 which if true, maens it has a bigger budget.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:05 am

emperior wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:42 am I will also repeat how my complaints mostly have to do with the game’s art direction which is lacklustre. I can even stand the low textures stuff, bad lightning, bad shading on the models, bad models or whatever bad graphical quality this game has but at least if they had some competent art director all of this could at least be covered up a little.

Maybe this has to do with CyberConnect2 not being as good as people make them out to be. They were kicked out of a Final Fantasy remaster because they weren’t doing a good job, which is quite concerning.
I don't think the character models are bad at all, I can see a complaint how they blend with the world though. Also CC2 have confirmed why they decided not to go for an open world game on a Game Reactor interview.

Also the rumour that CC2 were kicked out because they weren't doing a good job is baseless. There's a thread on Gamefaqs that delves into that a little bit further.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/16 ... e/77209037

Anywho, I'm looking forward to this game, the hands on and Previews seem to speak well of the game and CC2 have commented on the combat saying that they've seen some fan complaints online and they're going to release more information on the combat system in the future, and I believe they made the same comment that the fans won't be disappointed. Obviously that doesn't mean much, and the game might not be the best, but let's give it a bit of time. We know that CC2 have said there's going to be many explorable areas, and if they go to Buu and theres even the Kaioshin realm that would be great.

Honestly a world like DB would feel so empty as an open world IMO. You need side missions placed around every island, so say you have 100+ side missions in the game and you complete all of them before the next big bad that appears? Okay, so how about some are locked until later? We'll let's say there's only 5 islands to explore and for every new threat that appears 2-3 missions become available on the islands. That's 10-15 new missions for every threat. Honestly those islands would feel way more dead than they do now, and it would be a massive chore going back every time to find just 2-3 missions.
It only makes matters worse that the islands have to be large because of the sheer speed that Goku's traveling at. The amount of work that would take would take to keep feeling fresh would be absurd. A map the size of Breath of the wild would be traversed in no time by Gokus speed that was showcased here. I'm happier with having the 10-15 side missions in one large zone instead of being scattered around the world. Each zone then gives me enough new things to do when the next threat appears without being unrealistic in my expectations. Honestly if there's enough variation there's not really a complaint from me in it not being open world.

I'm just gonna wait and see what shown off later before I make up my mind.