"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

emperior
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by emperior » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:40 am

Sora Saiyan wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:05 am
emperior wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:42 am I will also repeat how my complaints mostly have to do with the game’s art direction which is lacklustre. I can even stand the low textures stuff, bad lightning, bad shading on the models, bad models or whatever bad graphical quality this game has but at least if they had some competent art director all of this could at least be covered up a little.

Maybe this has to do with CyberConnect2 not being as good as people make them out to be. They were kicked out of a Final Fantasy remaster because they weren’t doing a good job, which is quite concerning.
I don't think the character models are bad at all, I can see a complaint how they blend with the world though. Also CC2 have confirmed why they decided not to go for an open world game on a Game Reactor interview.

Also the rumour that CC2 were kicked out because they weren't doing a good job is baseless. There's a thread on Gamefaqs that delves into that a little bit further.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/16 ... e/77209037

Anywho, I'm looking forward to this game, the hands on and Previews seem to speak well of the game and CC2 have commented on the combat saying that they've seen some fan complaints online and they're going to release more information on the combat system in the future, and I believe they made the same comment that the fans won't be disappointed. Obviously that doesn't mean much, and the game might not be the best, but let's give it a bit of time. We know that CC2 have said there's going to be many explorable areas, and if they go to Buu and theres even the Kaioshin realm that would be great.

Honestly a world like DB would feel so empty as an open world IMO. You need side missions placed around every island, so say you have 100+ side missions in the game and you complete all of them before the next big bad that appears? Okay, so how about some are locked until later? We'll let's say there's only 5 islands to explore and for every new threat that appears 2-3 missions become available on the islands. That's 10-15 new missions for every threat. Honestly those islands would feel way more dead than they do now, and it would be a massive chore going back every time to find just 2-3 missions.
It only makes matters worse that the islands have to be large because of the sheer speed that Goku's traveling at. The amount of work that would take would take to keep feeling fresh would be absurd. A map the size of Breath of the wild would be traversed in no time by Gokus speed that was showcased here. I'm happier with having the 10-15 side missions in one large zone instead of being scattered around the world. Each zone then gives me enough new things to do when the next threat appears without being unrealistic in my expectations. Honestly if there's enough variation there's not really a complaint from me in it not being open world.

I'm just gonna wait and see what shown off later before I make up my mind.
Oh, seems like I was terribly misinformed about CC2’s work on a FF remaster, I apologise.

And yeah, the main complaint I have is about how the characters don’t blend with the world. The trailer seemed to be a little more polished on that aspect so maybe they will be polishing it up in the next few months.
I hope they will be listening to the fans’ complains online about the combat and the graphics. From what I’ve seen so far the fighting system seems very repetitive, but with this being an RPG it wouldn’t surprise me if the fighting actually gets deeper through acquiring new skills or combo strings. Or at least that’s how I would do it.

About the open world stuff, I agree that if it ends up having various big areas it will probably be a better choice than just having an entire world map to explore. I just hope the various zones will be carefully designed to be memorable, and, most importantly, good looking.

Also, they can always decrease Goku’s flying speed or have him consume stamina much faster when flying (both at full speed and normal speed) in order to make the maps feel bigger, at least at the beginning of the game.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:46 am

emperior wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:29 am
AnimeNation101 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:26 pm
emperior wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:18 pm

The landscapes being too empty is a valid complaint me and others have had. We could have some dinosaurs, animals, NPCs etcetera.
Its really not. Most of the times in Dragon ball, when ever we see the wasteland, we see few dinosaurs roaming, no NPCs whatsoever, and few to no animals. Thats what the game has showed us, there are roaming dinosaurs but not too many, few roaming animals, and we even have few NPCs AND cars driving off road. Thats more activity in the wastelands than in the actual DBZ series.

And as i said before, the places like villages and cities are the ones that should be populated. And sure enough, the villages are:

And we haven’t even seen the cities yet. From what we’ve seen as of now, the world is just as empty or, if not, even a little bit LESS empty than how it is in DBZ.
I haven’t seen cars driving off road yet, but I will trust you on that.

More than the landscapes being empty I feel like the world isn’t “alive” enough. It feels sort of dull and static, but maybe that’s just me.

Either way the screenshot you posted shows my issues with the game’s graphics, which are probably with the backgrounds: they look like assets just put there. It’s very unpolished so I hope it won’t look like that in the final game because it’s really rough.

I don’t know why you have to keep defending this game at all costs. I will probably be buying it too (100% if it goes up until the end of Buu) but I can clearly see the issues this game has, and it’s such a shame because they should have had enough time and money to make a good game, and it’s not even fully open world.
I’m seemingly defending the game at all costs because the complaints I've seen are ones are agree with at all.

The game is one of the best looking DB games to date, the landscape and its activity are accurate to the actual series, its fine that the game is going over the Z story again (becuase its an anniversary game, we’ve had many original story games for some time, and its good for the new fans Super has brought in), and the gameplay being simplier than FighterZ or even XV is to be expected considering its an ARPG game first rather than a fighting game.

As for the game not being fully open world, it cant be fully open world. A dragon ball game that goes passed the Saiyan saga can only ever realistically be a semi-open world game. Did you really expect us to be able to fly from earth to Namek in real time? Or go from Earth to Otherworld in real time? You have to go through a loading screen to get to these places. And semi-open world is fine. You still get massive exploration and free roam ability from each area.

So yeah, i admit, I've been defending the game at all costs. But there really just haven’t been any complaints i can agree with. The only complaints i had was that it was seemingly going up to the Freeza saga and Goku was the only playable character. But both of those seem to be false.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:37 pm

So I’ve tried to take matter into hands and show, visually, what I dislike about the models.
It turns out that the models are actually more than fine, but the shading is ruining them.
I think the main problem is that the shading is three tones and it ends up doing more harm than good. I would suggest making it actually just two tones and, eventually, polish up the dramatic scenes to have three tones shading but done well. As of right now I think the shading is randomised, while for example FighterZ had manually crafted shading in order to make it as good as possible.
Here are two examples:
I still believe the backgrounds are bad and don’t blend with the models AT ALL. They should definitely cel-shade them too.
They can keep the bad shading on the models but I really hope they will be fixing the backgrounds because I’m sure they are the reason the game looks bad.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:47 pm

emperior wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:37 pm So I’ve tried to take matter into hands and show, visually, what I dislike about the models.
It turns out that the models are actually more than fine, but the shading is ruining them.
I think the main problem is that the shading is three tones and it ends up doing more harm than good. I would suggest making it actually just two tones and, eventually, polish up the dramatic scenes to have three tones shading but done well. As of right now I think the shading is randomised, while for example FighterZ had manually crafted shading in order to make it as good as possible.
Here are two examples:
I still believe the backgrounds are bad and don’t blend with the models AT ALL. They should definitely cel-shade them too.
They can keep the bad shading on the models but I really hope they will be fixing the backgrounds because I’m sure they are the reason the game looks bad.
Is the shadowing randomized like Xenoverse?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:39 am

SaiyaSith wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:47 pm
emperior wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:37 pm So I’ve tried to take matter into hands and show, visually, what I dislike about the models.
Here are two examples:
I think it definitely is because it ends up looking quite bad at some points. They could easily fix it by making it two tones if they aren’t willing to put in the effort to shade the models themselves like ArcSys did.

It’s funny because probably the base models are actually better than FighterZ’s. Goku doesn’t look extremely buff like he’s in DBFZ and he also doesn’t have the extremely big hands and small feet he has there.

Literally everything this game needs to look very good is cel-shaded backgrounds and better shading for the models. Without the latter the models actually gave me the impression of being worse than FighterZ’s.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:53 am

emperior wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:39 am
Here are two examples:
I think it definitely is because it ends up looking quite bad at some points. They could easily fix it by making it two tones if they aren’t willing to put in the effort to shade the models themselves like ArcSys did.

It’s funny because probably the base models are actually better than FighterZ’s. Goku doesn’t look extremely buff like he’s in DBFZ and he also doesn’t have the extremely big hands and small feet he has there.

Literally everything this game needs to look very good is cel-shaded backgrounds and better shading for the models. Without the latter the models actually gave me the impression of being worse than FighterZ’s.
Goku's hair model is shit like in most games. In FighterZ, his hair spikes are made that they look good from all angles like they are drawn in anime, but in this game, he looks good just from the front and passable in side view, but the other angles, his hair looks like baseball glove.
Not to mention the animation of his hair is horrible in motion - power-ups, flying.

Goku's hair is like Batman's cape in Arkham series. You have to pay attention to it.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:15 am

MCDaveG wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:53 am
emperior wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:39 am

Goku's hair model is shit like in most games. In FighterZ, his hair spikes are made that they look good from all angles like they are drawn in anime, but in this game, he looks good just from the front and passable in side view, but the other angles, his hair looks like baseball glove.
Not to mention the animation of his hair is horrible in motion - power-ups, flying.

Goku's hair is like Batman's cape in Arkham series. You have to pay attention to it.
I actually prefer how Goku’s hair look in this game instead of the FighterZ’s version, as I think ArcSys added too many spikes.
It’s not perfect yet but it looks closer than the anime in Kakarot’s in my opinion.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:11 pm

The soundtrack used a re-orchestrated Kikuchi score For the story cutscenes! I think that’s awesome tbh

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:27 am

I found something very interesting. At https://youtu.be/cL0roSDy_pU?t=94 it says "As goku, head out to defeat the rampaging robot!"

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:08 pm

sangofe wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:27 am I found something very interesting. At https://youtu.be/cL0roSDy_pU?t=94 it says "As goku, head out to defeat the rampaging robot!"
Ah. That is interesting. The wording implies that you could switch to another character, and the mission requirements are specifically demanding that you don't.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:26 pm

I'd also be willing to bet that, for this part of the story, we'd be able to switch between Goku and Piccolo (who we see flying around alongside Goku), but that for this specific mission, you have to be in control of Goku at the time. Walking up to Eighter as Piccolo probably wouldn't provide the in-game prompt to start the mission.

I do wonder if Piccolo will likewise have a side-story that's only available to him at this point in the story, or if some of his will come up far later in the game.

Actually, the thought of playing as different characters does raise an interesting question. Will fishing be Goku-only, given the mechanic behind it? Or do you think other characters will go about it differently?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:17 pm

Given that there's a dinosaur habitat, they'd better have one of the mini games be to teach a dinosaur to ride a ball!

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:25 am

Anyone else upset at the fact that the game is advertising itself as Goku's story but cuts out Dragon Ball (which makes up his entire childhood and growth as a martial artist)?

Fans have to be tired of Z at this point. I feel like Bandai is purposely avoiding Dragon Ball and only adding the bare minimum from Super and GT.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:18 am

I'm really disappointed by what I'm seeing, if this is Super Saiyan's Goku character model.
It looks.. bad. Especially for a 2020 game. He's lacking the hair that made him appealing in the first place.

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by AnzuMazaki » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:33 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:25 am Anyone else upset at the fact that the game is advertising itself as Goku's story but cuts out Dragon Ball (which makes up his entire childhood and growth as a martial artist)?

Fans have to be tired of Z at this point. I feel like Bandai is purposely avoiding Dragon Ball and only adding the bare minimum from Super and GT.
I thought I would be the only Pre-Z fan that is still annoyed by Bandai avoiding that era...
I know most of the fandom do not know it exists but it is just as important as Z, Super and GT in Goku's story.

I am quite tired of Raditz to Buu in THE MAIN story of each game except FighterZ (which is an original story set in Super).
I am very glad we also have Super near the end of the main story of XV and XV2.

But it would be nice to have AT least Pre-Z in XV3.
Wishes she can change her name to YamchaFan (her name everywhere else)
Obssessed with the Earthlings and the original DB anime

YamchaFan's deviantART: https://yamchafan91.deviantart.com/
YamchaFan's Fanart Tumblr: https://yamchafanart.tumblr.com/
YamchaFan's YouTube (where you can see MikuMikuDance Videos): https://www.youtube.com/user/MihoNosaka

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:29 am

AnzuMazaki wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:33 am
IntangibleFancy wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:25 am Anyone else upset at the fact that the game is advertising itself as Goku's story but cuts out Dragon Ball (which makes up his entire childhood and growth as a martial artist)?

I thought I would be the only Pre-Z fan that is still annoyed by Bandai avoiding that era...
I know most of the fandom do not know it exists but it is just as important as Z, Super and GT in Goku's story.
DB is actually more important than Super and GT due to it being part of the original manga. I agree that the original DB needs more attention from everyone involved with the franchise.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:05 am

Annoyed for sure. Besides ignoring about 70/80% of Goku's character development, it ignores a portion of the story which has a huge potential for this genre of game.

We should all scuff and laugh whenever a dev says they want to tell the story of Goku. They are just being safe and skipping early Dragon Ball because it's not as popular/well know.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:43 pm

The game look very similar to XV which means it'll live or die by its story mode. Has anyone said anything about a vs mode ?
LightBing wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:05 amThey are just being safe and skipping early Dragon Ball because it's not as popular/well know.
The reaosn it's not as popular is because of them, they won't do anything with it. How do they expect it to get popular when they won't do anything with it ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

anubisj
Beyond Newbie

Post by anubisj » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:07 pm

I would kill for a dragon ball game like this but covering all sagas (either one game or with sequels, dlc, expansions, whatever). Unfortunately, it doesn´t seem like it´s going to happen anytime soon. :( Imagine playing with Goku from his encounter with Bulma to his defeat of Omega Shenron 8)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:02 pm

anubisj wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:07 pm Imagine playing with Goku from his encounter with Bulma to his defeat of Omega Shenron 8)
I would kill for a Dragon Ball game to do that. In fact, has ANY Dragon Ball game actually done that yet?