"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:14 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:02 pm
anubisj wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:07 pm Imagine playing with Goku from his encounter with Bulma to his defeat of Omega Shenron 8)
I would kill for a Dragon Ball game to do that. In fact, has ANY Dragon Ball game actually done that yet?
No. I don't think one game would be enough but you get a trilogy like that.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:28 pm

anubisj wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:07 pm Imagine playing with Goku from his encounter with Bulma to his defeat of Omega Shenron 8)
I would kill for a Dragon Ball game to do that. In fact, has ANY Dragon Ball game actually done that yet?
More importantly, has any game done from "Goku meets Bulma" to "Goku flies off with Uub" at all? We should have that before reaching Omega Shenron.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:43 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:28 pm
More importantly, has any game done from "Goku meets Bulma" to "Goku flies off with Uub" at all? We should have that before reaching Omega Shenron.
I'm honestly shocked no Dragon Ball game has covered the entire original story. That kind of scenario would be perfect for an open world RPG. Instead of doing Raditz to Majin Boo for the umpteenth fucking time.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:06 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:43 pm
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:28 pm
I'm honestly shocked no Dragon Ball game has covered the entire original story. That kind of scenario would be perfect for an open world RPG. Instead of doing Raditz to Majin Boo for the umpteenth fucking time.
It gets worse (IMO) when you look at how often, even in Dragon Ball games, the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai arc is skipped. I realize it's because it would take making new models/sprites/etc. for the older characters, but it's still pretty sad. Even when some overall franchise games like Budokai Tenkaichi 3 would half-heartedly tackle the 'original' DB run, it still skipped out on that arc, even though we already had older models of the characters in the game!

Hell, the only time I can think of off the top of my head that a game did cover that arc, was Attack of the Saiyans on the DS. I'm sure there's probably some Japanese only games that did it too, but I think that's the only one we've gotten that did.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:20 pm

I cant help but feel like this game is an experiment.. I'm almost certain that its only going up to Freeza but it'll be packed to the gills with MIni Games to help make it worth $60. IF the game does well it'll be probably be expanded maybe once a year through DLC until we reach the Boo Arc in 2022.

Personally I'm like 60% disinterested.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:43 pm

I love how the soundtrack contains a lot of the anime's Japanese songs remixed into a more modern style.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:00 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:20 pm I cant help but feel like this game is an experiment.. I'm almost certain that its only going up to Freeza but it'll be packed to the gills with MIni Games to help make it worth $60. IF the game does well it'll be probably be expanded maybe once a year through DLC until we reach the Boo Arc in 2022.

60 bucks just for two stories?

This comes out late 2019, right? If it does then I'll just wait for the Steam sale.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:03 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote:60 bucks just for two stories?
This is an extremely weird way to look at it.
IntangibleFancy wrote:This comes out late 2019, right? If it does then I'll just wait for the Steam sale.
Now set for "early 2020".
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:11 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:00 pm60 bucks just for two stories?
When asked about that, they said they couldn't talk about more content yet. Based on previous marketing, that means there's more as they've never shown everything all at once. If it was just up to Freeza, they'd just be focusing on the saiyan arc for now.

donkeyjack
Beyond Newbie

Post by donkeyjack » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:01 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:20 pm I cant help but feel like this game is an experiment.. I'm almost certain that its only going up to Freeza but it'll be packed to the gills with MIni Games to help make it worth $60. IF the game does well it'll be probably be expanded maybe once a year through DLC until we reach the Boo Arc in 2022.

Why would they should the Freeza arc in teaser trailer if that we were the case?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:49 am

Nothing new there.
sintzu wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:11 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:00 pm60 bucks just for two stories?
When asked about that, they said they couldn't talk about more content yet. Based on previous marketing, that means there's more as they've never shown everything all at once. If it was just up to Freeza, they'd just be focusing on the saiyan arc for now.
Bandai-Namco has said those kind of answers before when there was a lot more content? Do you have examples? Just asking because I did't really catch examples like that (or tried to catch them with previous games for the matter).

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:00 pm

sangofe wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:49 amBandai-Namco has said those kind of answers before when there was a lot more content? Do you have examples?
When XenoVerse was announced they were asked about Super and GT and gave similar answers. If it just went up to Freeza it wouldn't make sense to show everything so soon.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:04 pm

I’m loving what they are trying to do with the villain characters. They’ve made them so that each fight is supposed to feel like an uphill boss battle like how its always been in Dragon Ball when fighting against main villains. So while they aren’t made to be playable, the battle experience should feel more accurate to the story.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:09 am

I wonder what options you have for the outfits in this game. They show Piccolo flying along in the overworld with his turban and cape, but then dropping that for the fight with Raditz, while Goku doesn't take off his weighted gear.
It would be disappointing if it stays like that.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:12 am

sintzu wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:00 pm
sangofe wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:49 amBandai-Namco has said those kind of answers before when there was a lot more content? Do you have examples?
When XenoVerse was announced they were asked about Super and GT and gave similar answers. If it just went up to Freeza it wouldn't make sense to show everything so soon.
I hope you're right. But it'd make sense from a business perspective to have a game cover android and cell, and a final boo.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:08 am

More screenshots coming through!
The shot with Dodoria is particularly interesting since that could seemingly confirm other playable characters beyond Goku, since Goku's nowhere around during that part of the story.
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

donkeyjack
Beyond Newbie

Post by donkeyjack » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:02 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:08 am More screenshots coming through!
The shot with Dodoria is particularly interesting since that could seemingly confirm other playable characters beyond Goku, since Goku's nowhere around during that part of the story.

Maybe it's a re-cap scene or something. I'm hoping for multiple characters.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:04 am

donkeyjack wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:02 am

There's always that chance too, yeah. That's what I mean by seemingly confirm rather than outright confirming. Here's hoping though - as much as I enjoyed the Legacy of Goku series, the first one was always held back a bit by the fact that we only had Goku in it, forcing the story to skip quite a few plot points.
Twitter

donkeyjack
Beyond Newbie

Post by donkeyjack » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:17 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:04 am
donkeyjack wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:02 am

There's always that chance too, yeah. That's what I mean by seemingly confirm rather than outright confirming. Here's hoping though - as much as I enjoyed the Legacy of Goku series, the first one was always held back a bit by the fact that we only had Goku in it, forcing the story to skip quite a few plot points.
I hate the first game. It wasn't fun at all.