"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:22 pm

My only question is how much of the contents it will have in the story mode. As long as it's over 40-50 hours worth of gameplay, I should be good, even if Goku is the only playable character. The fact that they pushed the release date could indicate how much they are putting into the game. I hope. It is adventure RPG game, after all.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:43 am

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:25 pm Well, so according to the VJUMP and the statements of people involved in the game, it seems that Goku will be the only playable character, which is disappointing. I hope that at least this game covers the saga Cell and Boo. But what is strange is that in the images released by Bandai, we see scenes of fights where Goku is not involved (Gohan and Kuririn Vs Dodoria, which in this case Goku was far from reaching Namek and Z Fighters Vs Vegeta and Nappa)
If this does turn out to be true, it is pretty disappointing, but if the game is big enough with enough content (even if the overall story does turn out to only be Saiyans to Freeza), then I'm still excited just for what a different sort of experience this game is shaping up to be.

As far as those images of events where we know Goku's not there, those sadly could just be from cut scenes to help further flesh out the story in-between moments of gameplay. That or, at least in some cases, they may even be altering the original story ever so slightly to allow Goku to become involved in more events than he ever did before, similar to how the original Legacy of Goku had Goku taking down for good every member of the Ginyu Force (sans Guldo) without the body changing, and how at the end of the game, you fought through all of Freeza's forms instead of just his final.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:33 am

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:25 pmWell, so according to the VJUMP and the statements of people involved in the game, it seems that Goku will be the only playable character, which is disappointing.
That's very disappointing. At E3 though they said they couldn't talk about that so I wonder if this is some misunderstanding.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:53 am

The idea that Goku might be the only playable character in this game, and that it might only cover the Saiyan and Freeza arcs makes me think a lot of The Legacy of Goku. Granted, I’m sure this game won’t be nearly as boring as that, but that’s a bit of a disappointing possibility to keep in mind.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:05 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:53 am The idea that Goku might be the only playable character in this game, and that it might only cover the Saiyan and Freeza arcs makes me think a lot of The Legacy of Goku. Granted, I’m sure this game won’t be nearly as boring as that, but that’s a bit of a disappointing possibility to keep in mind.
A good part of the saiyan and Namek arcs don't have Goku in them so that'll make a short game even shorter.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:00 pm

I really have very little confidence in this game. A this point I'm predicting it to be a basic open World RPG with the Dragon Ball stamp on it. I wouldn't be surprised if the "massive amount of content" mentioned is a billion of fetch quests, plus kill random enemy and other bottom of the barrel ideas.

They showed #8 to give us a kill random robot quest, there's no expanding the character, no nostalgia besides watching him again, no worthwhile moment; nothing. Use an old returning character for that? It painted a strong suspicion about the quality and lack of ideas going around in this game.

I hope I'm wrong...

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:57 pm

LightBing wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:00 pmI wouldn't be surprised if the "massive amount of content" mentioned is a billion of fetch quests, plus kill random enemy and other bottom of the barrel ideas.
If Goku is going to be the only playable character then that's pretty much all you'll get as Z simply didn't have enough of him to fill a whole game. He only had 2 fights in the Cell arc and that's the 2nd longest arc in the manga.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:42 am

If it's gonna be just Goku, aside from the big fights, then we should get to catch Bubbles, hit Gregory, learn kaioken and genki dama, train with augmented gravity on the way to Namek, find a way to escape Namek, learn shunkanido and return to Earth, get a driver's license, train in the Time Chamber and master SS, train in the afterlife, fight Paikuhan, Olibu, keep the peace in hell as a team with Paikuhan? unlock SS2 and SS3, befriend that old weirdo kaiosama worships, learn the fusion dance. I don't know, if its well done it could be an entertaining and refreshing take.

anubisj
Beyond Newbie

Post by anubisj » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:47 am

Being brutally honest, I love db filler, so I would love to play through those sections as well, not just the manga events. But I realize it won´t happen. I would also like to play other events aside from Goku stuff.

For instance, I would love to play as Gohan and train with piccolo, Goku encountering Goz, Mez and princess snake, the arlians (yes, you are reading right) getting destroyed by Vegeta and Nappa, Gohan, Krillin and Bulma travelling through space, Goku´s voyage to Namek, the whole Garlic Jr saga, driving license, etc etc etc.

Plus, of course all those moments where Goku was absent (z warriors training with Kami and fighting Nappa, Vegeta killing Cui, Dodoria, and Zarbon, Nail vs Frieza, etc).

If I get that kind of attention to detail, and the game covers until Goku vs Uub, I will surely enjoy it like I´ve never enjoyed any other db game before. But I will still beg for similar games or dlcs covering DB, DBGT and movies, and if all goes well, even DBS and DBH shouldn´t be too far off release.

I guess I´m daydreaming way too much. Why am I doing this too myself? :lol:

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:16 pm

The combat really does nothing for me. I knew it was unlikely to resemble something like Attack of the Saiyans, but it would've been nice.

I think exploring the world will end up being the most fun part of the game.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:27 pm

The food being super important and affecting your stats is something with potential to be really cool. If there's actual builds and food hunting.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:29 am

sintzu wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:33 am
TheSaiyanGod wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:25 pmWell, so according to the VJUMP and the statements of people involved in the game, it seems that Goku will be the only playable character, which is disappointing.
That's very disappointing. At E3 though they said they couldn't talk about that so I wonder if this is some misunderstanding.
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:43 am
TheSaiyanGod wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:25 pm Well, so according to the VJUMP and the statements of people involved in the game, it seems that Goku will be the only playable character, which is disappointing. I hope that at least this game covers the saga Cell and Boo. But what is strange is that in the images released by Bandai, we see scenes of fights where Goku is not involved (Gohan and Kuririn Vs Dodoria, which in this case Goku was far from reaching Namek and Z Fighters Vs Vegeta and Nappa)
If this does turn out to be true, it is pretty disappointing, but if the game is big enough with enough content (even if the overall story does turn out to only be Saiyans to Freeza), then I'm still excited just for what a different sort of experience this game is shaping up to be.

As far as those images of events where we know Goku's not there, those sadly could just be from cut scenes to help further flesh out the story in-between moments of gameplay. That or, at least in some cases, they may even be altering the original story ever so slightly to allow Goku to become involved in more events than he ever did before, similar to how the original Legacy of Goku had Goku taking down for good every member of the Ginyu Force (sans Guldo) without the body changing, and how at the end of the game, you fought through all of Freeza's forms instead of just his final.
Koitsukai wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:42 am If it's gonna be just Goku, aside from the big fights, then we should get to catch Bubbles, hit Gregory, learn kaioken and genki dama, train with augmented gravity on the way to Namek, find a way to escape Namek, learn shunkanido and return to Earth, get a driver's license, train in the Time Chamber and master SS, train in the afterlife, fight Paikuhan, Olibu, keep the peace in hell as a team with Paikuhan? unlock SS2 and SS3, befriend that old weirdo kaiosama worships, learn the fusion dance. I don't know, if its well done it could be an entertaining and refreshing take.
Are yall serious? Do you REALLY think Goku is the ONLY playable character? V-jump did NOT say Goku was the only playable character and I've never heard of these statements from people working on the game CONFIRMING Goku being the only playable character. On the flip side of this discussion, there’s evidence that suggests Goku ISN’T the only playable character.

This video sums it up well with all the evidence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dihnSRQekew

And with less evidence but still enough, I'm sure this game will also be covering more than 2 arcs. Do you REALLY expect them to keep giving us the same saiyan saga and Namek saga scans for every month up until the game’s release? That’d be stupid and bad marketing. The whole reason they’re showing these 2 arcs off so much is because they have 2 more arcs in ready to show us later to keep the hype of the game going until it drops in early 2020.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:07 pm

Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:16 pm The combat really does nothing for me. I knew it was unlikely to resemble something like Attack of the Saiyans, but it would've been nice.

Ooo, I'd love a 3D Dragon Ball Game similar to 'Attack fo the Saiyans' Gameplay-wise.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

donkeyjack
Beyond Newbie

Post by donkeyjack » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:09 pm

Kanassa wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:07 pm
Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:16 pm The combat really does nothing for me. I knew it was unlikely to resemble something like Attack of the Saiyans, but it would've been nice.

Ooo, I'd love a 3D Dragon Ball Game similar to 'Attack fo the Saiyans' Gameplay-wise.
Please no. I will never buy a DB that plays like Attack of the Saiyan for the DS. It plays like FF to me.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:22 am

AnimeNation101 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:29 am Are yall serious? Do you REALLY think Goku is the ONLY playable character? V-jump did NOT say Goku was the only playable character and I've never heard of these statements from people working on the game CONFIRMING Goku being the only playable character. On the flip side of this discussion, there’s evidence that suggests Goku ISN’T the only playable character.

This video sums it up well with all the evidence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dihnSRQekew

And with less evidence but still enough, I'm sure this game will also be covering more than 2 arcs. Do you REALLY expect them to keep giving us the same saiyan saga and Namek saga scans for every month up until the game’s release? That’d be stupid and bad marketing. The whole reason they’re showing these 2 arcs off so much is because they have 2 more arcs in ready to show us later to keep the hype of the game going until it drops in early 2020.
I really hope you're right, because I also want other characters to be playable. But I'm just basing myself on what was said in VJUMP, that Goku was the only playable character '' for now. '' Maybe it means they're still working on other characters or that they're going to be released by DLC, which would be too bad, I still have not seen the video you sent

And about the possibility of covering more sagas, it seems that Bandai released another image of the game and we see Goku flying towards the city with the same Gi / clothes we saw in the Saga Cell / Boo, which I think is a good clue that these sagas will be in the game

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:17 am

Vegeta, Piccolo & Gohan: both playable & support characters.
Chiaotzu, Tien, Krillin & Yamcha: support only.

-Supports can help w/ actions based on player movements.
-Raise stats with food & battles.
-Enemies include smth like Pirate Robot at Undersea Base.

https://mobile.twitter.com/bk2128/statu ... 5629564928

Thanks to BlackKite on twitter for the translation.

donkeyjack
Beyond Newbie

Post by donkeyjack » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:35 am

Thank goodness.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:51 am

DBZ_Lee wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:17 am Vegeta, Piccolo & Gohan: both playable & support characters.
Chiaotzu, Tien, Krillin & Yamcha: support only.

-Supports can help w/ actions based on player movements.
-Raise stats with food & battles.
-Enemies include smth like Pirate Robot at Undersea Base.

https://mobile.twitter.com/bk2128/statu ... 5629564928

Thanks to BlackKite on twitter for the translation.
I just feel bad for Kuririn, since he has a great role in the Freeza saga but will only be a support

I believe that eventually they will announce Cell saga / Boo saga and probably characters like Future Trunks, Kid Trunks and Goten as playable too

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:54 am

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:51 am I just feel bad for Kuririn, since he has a great role in the Freeza saga but will only be a support

I believe that eventually they will announce Cell saga / Boo saga and probably characters like Future Trunks, Kid Trunks and Goten as playable too
Yeah, Kuririn not being playable during this period is very disappointing. Arguably for the Saiyan and Freeza Arc period he's equal to Piccolo, who's absent for most of the later arc, in terms of importance.

Anyway, I'm happy for more playable characters. They probably should have thought about another name if this was the case...

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:42 am

Welp. Not surprised. Assuming this game comes up to the Buu saga, the roster will be something like this:

Goku
Kid Gohan
Teen Gohan
Adult Gohan
Vegeta
Piccolo
Future Trunks
Majin Buu
Gotenks
Vegito

Goten and Kid Trunks prob wont be playable. Also, we dont know if this will do TV specials. Movies were debunked but they have been saying that this is meant for the DBZ anime only and the tv specials are technically part of that. Villains will probably not be playable.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"