"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
MCDaveG
I Live Here
Posts: 4619
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:54 pm
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:41 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:54 am
MCDaveG wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:51 pm
Koitsukai wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:44 pm
Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot - Complete Demo SSJ2 Gohan vs Perfect Cell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoMSbSh32W8
Ah man, the quality of the backgrounds and details of the stage look really really bad. It is like PS2 Remaster and not curren gen :(
Looks decent enough to me. Not every game needs to look like Skyrim Special Edition with 100 graphical mods installed.
But this looks like a cheap franchise effortless output... Backgrounds in Xenoverse look OK for example, but this is so bad.
The fights look like Legends from mobile in HD. I don't like the FX, fighting looks clunky.
I don´t know, I hope this is not the final look as the older Naruto games looked miles better than this :(
''Gotta catch 'em all! Dragon Baaaaall!''

User avatar
DarkPrince_92
I Live Here
Posts: 3325
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:09 pm
Location: Glendale, CA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:54 pm

MCDaveG wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:41 pm
I don´t know, I hope this is not the final look as the older Naruto games looked miles better than this :(
My. Sentiments. Exactly. Naruto UNS series had top notch character models and shading. I don't know how they got this one wrong.

Goku's face... Trunks' face... Freeza's face... and some of the shading/texture decisions are just poor.

Although, there are some visually satisfying elements. Goku's Gi and Piccolo's clothing are shaded very nicely. Some of the cutscenes I've seen have some creative choices I do appreciate.

Particle effects are too much. I didn't like them in Storm 4 either...
I am an artist/animator, check out my thangs. Online Portfolio

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

User avatar
donkeyjack
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 11:49 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by donkeyjack » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:39 pm

Lmao. I need more footage and info.

User avatar
Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8726
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 am
Location: Arkansas
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:26 pm

So with Tokyo Game Show right around the corner, is it fairly likely we'll get another trailer or some new gameplay footage or the like?
My Writing Endeavors - Twitter
"There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people. Psychopaths, and mystery writers. I'm the kind that pays better." - Richard Castle, 'Castle'

User avatar
Valerius Dover
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1852
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:47 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:05 am

So, is the US version actually keeping Kikuchi's music remixes?
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

User avatar
Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 922
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:08 pm
Location: Pilot Mountain Pinnacle

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Naruto6583 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:54 am

Valerius Dover wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:05 am
So, is the US version actually keeping Kikuchi's music remixes?
That's what i'm wondering, because the tracks I've heard so far made specifically for the game I'm not a huge fan of
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

User avatar
EXBadguy
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1639
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:24 pm
Location: NJ, 'MERICA

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by EXBadguy » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:30 am

Meh, I prefer games in general to have their own original soundtrack and not pull or remix the ones from their respective TV series, but if I can get used to the Legacy of Goku series using Faulconer's tracks, then there should be no problem with this one.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

User avatar
donkeyjack
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 11:49 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by donkeyjack » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:09 am

Now people prefer it to have it's own wack ass OST instead of the anime series. These fans I tell ya.

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5401
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Grimlock » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:27 am

Well, XV2 presented the best original soundtrack I've heard (damn, those songs... :clap:). It's only natural people wanting more.

I'm fine either way, as long as it is good and gets me excited.
Games - You are weak. Why are you weak?
Dragon Ball Super - *coughes*
Games - Because you lack... Content.

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 2553
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: minnesota
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:34 am

i think for a game that's trying to tell most of Z's story in detail, than yeah they should probably go with something closer to the original score of the show, along with a few new tracks. obviously for fighting games or games like xenoverse, a new soundtrack makes more sense.
they/them pronouns
my twitter

User avatar
Sora Saiyan
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 992
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:19 am
Location: Destiny Islands

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Sora Saiyan » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:10 am

Soppa Saia People wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:34 am
i think for a game that's trying to tell most of Z's story in detail, than yeah they should probably go with something closer to the original score of the show, along with a few new tracks. obviously for fighting games or games like xenoverse, a new soundtrack makes more sense.
I agree with this fully. I never expected to get Kikuchi in this game, but finding out that we were was a great reveal.
The heart may be weak. And sometimes it may even give in. But I've learned... that deep down there's a light that never goes out! -Sora

User avatar
donkeyjack
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 11:49 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by donkeyjack » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:08 am

Hopefully we get a trailer today or tonight.

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20498
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:07 am

The release date for the game is January 16, 2020

The pre-order bonus include:
- A training mode which allows to fight projections of a character. More specifically, Bonyu. The former Ginyu Force member Bonyu, who was originally designed by Akira Toriyama.
- A extra story called "A dangerous party with friends". The story is about everyone coming together to celebrate the return of Goku from the planet Yardrat.
- Bento. An edible meat item that increase your stats.

And here's the cover art:
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6376
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by sangofe » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:20 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:07 am
The released date for the game is January 16, 2020

The pre-order bonus include:
- A training mode which allows to fight projections of a character. More specifically, Bonyu. The former Ginyu Force member Bonyu, who was originally designed by Akira Toriyama.
- A extra story called "A dangerous party with friends". The story is about everyone coming together to celebrate the return of Goku from the planet Yardrat.
- Bento. An edible meat item that increase your stats.

And here's the cover art:

Wonder if you can get that extra stuff in dl later. Is pre ordering more expensive? Also, extremely generic cover art.

User avatar
Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5989
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:57 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kanassa » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:29 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:07 am
The released date for the game is January 16, 2020

The pre-order bonus include:
- A training mode which allows to fight projections of a character. More specifically, Bonyu. The former Ginyu Force member Bonyu, who was originally designed by Akira Toriyama.
- A extra story called "A dangerous party with friends". The story is about everyone coming together to celebrate the return of Goku from the planet Yardrat.
- Bento. An edible meat item that increase your stats.

And here's the cover art:
Wait, does Bonyo only appear in this training mode?

Hmmm, wonder what's gonna happen in that extra story. Only thing I can think of that would be worth being a pre-order bonus is a boss fight against a movie villain or somthing.

And my god, that is a boring ass cover.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:


Obligitory Fan Fic Plug: Dragon Ball - Another Road
Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

User avatar
Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8726
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 am
Location: Arkansas
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:37 am

I'm actually fine with the minimally designed cover, it's just that the art itself is kinda generic.

As far as the pre-order stuff goes, glad I've already ordered so I'll get all of it, but huh. Is...an extra mode and a story in the middle of a game something that's usually included in pre-order DLC? Seems a bit weird.
My Writing Endeavors - Twitter
"There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people. Psychopaths, and mystery writers. I'm the kind that pays better." - Richard Castle, 'Castle'

User avatar
Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5989
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:57 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kanassa » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:01 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:37 am
I'm actually fine with the minimally designed cover, it's just that the art itself is kinda generic.

As far as the pre-order stuff goes, glad I've already ordered so I'll get all of it, but huh. Is...an extra mode and a story in the middle of a game something that's usually included in pre-order DLC? Seems a bit weird.
Yeah, there's plenty of games that include an extra mission as a pre-order bonus.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:


Obligitory Fan Fic Plug: Dragon Ball - Another Road
Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

User avatar
EXBadguy
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1639
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:24 pm
Location: NJ, 'MERICA

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by EXBadguy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:08 pm

God, these box arts are getting more dumber and dumber ever since Xenoverse 1. I miss the American and European box arts. THOSE were more creative than the original ones.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Dbzfan94
I Live Here
Posts: 4824
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:16 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:18 pm

EXBadguy wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:08 pm
God, these box arts are getting more dumber and dumber ever since Xenoverse 1. I miss the American and European box arts. THOSE were more creative than the original ones.
Yeah, the PS2 era especially always had cool boxarts. Made it really 'pop' as opposed to something meh with only 1 or 2 characters.

User avatar
Koitsukai
Regular
Posts: 556
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:02 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:27 pm

Can I pre-order the physical game instead of the digital one? is that possible? I was planning to get the dvd

I'm not crazy about the orange background of the cover. I'd prefer the typical blue sky of the opening, specially with the open world the game is bringing or even the promo black image with just Kakarot on it. Don't hate it either.

Post Reply