"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:56 pm

The issue with pre-Z content I think is that the best way to put it in-game would be in chronological order. That is starting with kid Goku all the way through DB and only after Goku has grown up have Raditz show up, and although I would love that, the main dish would still be far from the beginning of the game.
You would be in-game years from the main content, which let's face it it is the most entertanining and what most fans enjoy the most. And I want the entirety of DB, not just fighting the RR army, Tenshinhan and the Piccolo family, I also want Pilaf, to gather the dragon balls, meet knew people, train with this guy and with that guy, go around the world running or riding Kinton. The whole enchilada, not the main parts of it just so that the saiyans don't take that long to show up.

And having DB in sort of a flashbacky-DLC extension to me would be lackluster, too short and skipping many things from the 1st portion of Goku's life. But if a game called Kakarot does not include his childhood, I really can't imagine what game would?

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:57 pm

So the new Japanese seiyuu for Hercule/Mr Satan is the one who voices Might Guy from Naruto.

https://youtu.be/E7pFQceNRT8
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:18 pm

EXBadguy wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:57 pm So the new Japanese seiyuu for Hercule/Mr Satan is the one who voices Might Guy from Naruto.

https://youtu.be/E7pFQceNRT8
Holy crap, I completely forgot we lost Unsho Ishizuka last year. :cry: It didn't even occur to me that we'd be getting another new Mr. Satan soon.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:17 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:50 am Pre Z definitely should have been included but DBS can stay away.
Why? Super has a lot of great stuff they can adapt into the game if they wanted to, on top of being the stuff that isn't actually overused in videos games. I mean, what? They've used it in Xenoverse, FighterZ, & Heroes. Not a lot of other places. It's still prime territory to put in new games.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:41 pm

Scsigs wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:17 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:50 am Pre Z definitely should have been included but DBS can stay away.
Why? Super has a lot of great stuff they can adapt into the game if they wanted to, on top of being the stuff that isn't actually overused in videos games. I mean, what? They've used it in Xenoverse, FighterZ, & Heroes. Not a lot of other places. It's still prime territory to put in new games.
I can basically summarize that Dbzfan94 doesn't really like Super all that much.

I agree with you, though, Super would be a really great sequel to Kakarot.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:10 pm

Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:19 pm

The game will also receive a day one patch containing two updates, with the size of 11 GB

Version 1.01

- System features related to bonuses
- Added stability improvements.
- Added performance improvements.

Version 1.02

- Improved loading times
- Made it possible to travel directly to Korin Tower Summit and Capsule Corporation from the World Map
- Added sub stories
- Adjusted the entry fee of the Time Attacks (advanced)
- Made other adjustments

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:41 pm

Novantico wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:13 am So some things that disappoint me based on what I’ve seen on reddit:

1. No transformations outside of battle. I really think this is ridiculous considering how much they’re putting into this game but don’t allow for that. That sentiment applies to the second one as well

2. Apparently you can’t fight on the ground. In all footage I’m aware of, you hover a little above the ground. Ridiculous again considering like every fight in the series was on the ground at one point or another, and it just seems like a fundamental.
They can always patch the first one in at a later date if enough people complain about it.
The second one is unconfirmed & you're just assuming. I'm pretty sure it'll have ground combat. That'd be weird if they didn't. Trailers don't always show every single thing about a game...unless they're for Kingdom Hearts III.
Koitsukai wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:56 pm The issue with pre-Z content I think is that the best way to put it in-game would be in chronological order. That is starting with kid Goku all the way through DB and only after Goku has grown up have Raditz show up, and although I would love that, the main dish would still be far from the beginning of the game.
You would be in-game years from the main content, which let's face it it is the most entertaining and what most fans enjoy the most. And I want the entirety of DB, not just fighting the RR army, Tenshinhan and the Piccolo family, I also want Pilaf, to gather the dragon balls, meet knew people, train with this guy and with that guy, go around the world running or riding Kinton. The whole enchilada, not the main parts of it just so that the Saiyans don't take that long to show up.

And having DB in sort of a flashbacky-DLC extension to me would be lackluster, too short and skipping many things from the 1st portion of Goku's life. But if a game called Kakarot does not include his childhood, I really can't imagine what game would?
In my opinion, one of the biggest hurdles to overcome with early DB would be the lack of combat, since the first several arcs are comedy adventure stuff rather than action & if you can't have action in an Action RPG, people are gonna complain &/or the devs have no idea what to do with it.
jrdemr wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:41 pm I can basically summarize that Dbzfan94 doesn't really like Super all that much.

Like, Super provides a lot of great set pieces for ga,es & is large;y untapped, even more untapped than the OG DB, if you can believe it.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:54 am

Scsigs wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:41 pm In my opinion, one of the biggest hurdles to overcome with early DB would be the lack of combat, since the first several arcs are comedy adventure stuff rather than action
They all have action though. DB Origins already showed how to handle the first arcs. Then at the end you could finish it with Yamcha VS Oozaru Goku boss battle. Next arcs like Tournaments and Red Ribbon are all action-y.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:44 am

If I didn't have any interest in this game, I have now (spoiler). Or at least for what comes after Majin Buu saga.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:04 am

Xeogran wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:54 am
Scsigs wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:41 pm In my opinion, one of the biggest hurdles to overcome with early DB would be the lack of combat, since the first several arcs are comedy adventure stuff rather than action
They all have action though. DB Origins already showed how to handle the first arcs. Then at the end you could finish it with Yamcha VS Oozaru Goku boss battle. Next arcs like Tournaments and Red Ribbon are all action-y.
Not to mention Kakarot would be the perfect kind of game to explore the early part of the series.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:10 am

Grimlock wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:44 am If I didn't have any interest in this game, I have now (spoiler). Or at least for what comes after Majin Buu saga.
Seriously? They threw in Dragon Ball Heroes? That's disappointing.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:13 am

sangofe wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:10 am
Grimlock wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:44 am If I didn't have any interest in this game, I have now (spoiler). Or at least for what comes after Majin Buu saga.
Dragon Ball online actually. And this is probably just going to be a side quest since this character doesn't appear in DBZ Story. But this can also open possibilities for movie villains to appear in the game as this character involves different timelines. I think it's interesting

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:36 am

Scsigs wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:41 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:56 pm The issue with pre-Z content I think is that the best way to put it in-game would be in chronological order. That is starting with kid Goku all the way through DB and only after Goku has grown up have Raditz show up, and although I would love that, the main dish would still be far from the beginning of the game.
You would be in-game years from the main content, which let's face it it is the most entertaining and what most fans enjoy the most. And I want the entirety of DB, not just fighting the RR army, Tenshinhan and the Piccolo family, I also want Pilaf, to gather the dragon balls, meet knew people, train with this guy and with that guy, go around the world running or riding Kinton. The whole enchilada, not the main parts of it just so that the Saiyans don't take that long to show up.

In my opinion, one of the biggest hurdles to overcome with early DB would be the lack of combat, since the first several arcs are comedy adventure stuff rather than action & if you can't have action in an Action RPG, people are gonna complain &/or the devs have no idea what to do with it.
What are you even talking about? I'm not gonna mince words here; that's honestly a completely ignorant thing to say, and I can only surmise that you only saw the very beginning of OG DB before deciding to skip it and only watch Z. The only one that might be lacking in action is the first arc, which would work as a great tutorial section:

Start with Goku meeting Bulma in a brief cutscene, and they resolve to look for the Dragon Balls.
First, go fight Oolong. You get a tutorial in combat, and you easily beat Oolong. He flies away as a bat. Then you get a tutorial in flying around quickly as you chase Oolong. You catch him, and the story is resolved, so you get a Dragon Ball.
Then, Turtle shows up and wants you to return him to Roshi, and he gives you a Dragon Ball. This serves as a tutorial for side-quests and how they can work.
Then you go through the desert to get to Mt Frypan/Fire Mountain, where you fight Yamucha. Then you have Mt Frypan/Fire Mountain as your main goal, with the Rabbit Mob village as a side quest on offer; Rabbit Mob has you fight some Rabbit Gang members, and engage in a unique fight with Boss Rabbit where you have to avoid touching him, and for Mt Frypan, you fight Gyuumao/Ox-King, meet Chichi, brief cutscene has the fire put out, you learn the Kamehameha, and then your final goal is Pilaf's castle, where you put all you've learned into force, basically.

Then you have the 21st Tenkaichi, which is a brief training section (a cutscene) followed by a revolving door of fights. Then the Red Ribbon storyline is pretty much the exact perfect setup for this exact kind of game (the Dragon Balls are around the world, each guarded by various malicious people you can fight, and with sidequests all over). Then the 22nd Tenkaichi, another revolving door of fights. Then the Piccolo arc, where you're chasing Piccolo and his minions, trying to get stronger to fight him, etc.
And then we're into the "Z era" stuff that this game already adapts, which -- I'll remind you -- begins with a storyline where the original story had a bunch of people standing around chatting, then they go fight one guy, then one of them is dead while everyone hangs about training for a year, then there's one big fight with two guys that lasts ages, and that's it. If you really think the pre-"Z" stuff is lacking in usable action for a game like this, even with this in mind... Just, I don't even know what to say other than that's an utterly ignorant position to hold.

The only reason the pre-"Z" stuff has been excluded is because the "Z era" stuff tends to be seen as the most marketable stuff, and because of the precedent set by other media, they can justify doing less content for an allegedly "complete" game by only doing two thirds of the story.
jrdemr wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:41 pm I can basically summarize that Dbzfan94 doesn't really like Super all that much.

Like, Super provides a lot of great set pieces for ga,es & is large;y untapped, even more untapped than the OG DB, if you can believe it.
I don't think Super would be better than OG DB for material for a game like this, and I do think a game like this is best off sticking to covering the original manga run... But, hey, Super's finished its run, it could make for an interesting addendum. The Tournament Of Power could be an interesting thing to do too; fighting going on all around, and you basically have to try to defeat foes and survive. Could be really interesting if done right.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

ShadowVezon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ShadowVezon » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:39 am

I feel pretty confident that Mira will be a post-game boss, who you fight after all the 'Villainous' groups of enemies are defeated. His achievement is listed directly under the Villainous ones, and the enemies in question are pretty clearly just using a crimson Villainous Mode.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:58 am

Having MIra in there is a bit of a surprise, it'll be interesting to see how that works. I'm happy to finally have a trophy list though, and it sounds pretty doable. I'm going to be Platinum-ing the hell out of this one.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:06 pm

2 more days. I'm so excited.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:55 pm

jrdemr wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:41 pm
I can basically summarize that Dbzfan94 doesn't really like Super all that much.

Bingo.

As a sequel I wouldnt really care, but for this game nah.
Robo4900 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:36 am

What are you even talking about? I'm not gonna mince words here; that's honestly a completely ignorant thing to say, and I can only surmise that you only saw the very beginning of OG DB before deciding to skip it and only watch Z. The only one that might be lacking in action is the first arc, which would work as a great tutorial section:

Start with Goku meeting Bulma in a brief cutscene, and they resolve to look for the Dragon Balls.
First, go fight Oolong. You get a tutorial in combat, and you easily beat Oolong. He flies away as a bat. Then you get a tutorial in flying around quickly as you chase Oolong. You catch him, and the story is resolved, so you get a Dragon Ball.
Then, Turtle shows up and wants you to return him to Roshi, and he gives you a Dragon Ball. This serves as a tutorial for side-quests and how they can work.
Then you go through the desert to get to Mt Frypan/Fire Mountain, where you fight Yamucha. Then you have Mt Frypan/Fire Mountain as your main goal, with the Rabbit Mob village as a side quest on offer; Rabbit Mob has you fight some Rabbit Gang members, and engage in a unique fight with Boss Rabbit where you have to avoid touching him, and for Mt Frypan, you fight Gyuumao/Ox-King, meet Chichi, brief cutscene has the fire put out, you learn the Kamehameha, and then your final goal is Pilaf's castle, where you put all you've learned into force, basically.

Then you have the 21st Tenkaichi, which is a brief training section (a cutscene) followed by a revolving door of fights. Then the Red Ribbon storyline is pretty much the exact perfect setup for this exact kind of game (the Dragon Balls are around the world, each guarded by various malicious people you can fight, and with sidequests all over). Then the 22nd Tenkaichi, another revolving door of fights. Then the Piccolo arc, where you're chasing Piccolo and his minions, trying to get stronger to fight him, etc.
And then we're into the "Z era" stuff that this game already adapts, which -- I'll remind you -- begins with a storyline where the original story had a bunch of people standing around chatting, then they go fight one guy, then one of them is dead while everyone hangs about training for a year, then there's one big fight with two guys that lasts ages, and that's it. If you really think the pre-"Z" stuff is lacking in usable action for a game like this, even with this in mind... Just, I don't even know what to say other than that's an utterly ignorant position to hold.

The only reason the pre-"Z" stuff has been excluded is because the "Z era" stuff tends to be seen as the most marketable stuff, and because of the precedent set by other media, they can justify doing less content for an allegedly "complete" game by only doing two thirds of the story
Completely agree here Robo. This would have been the ideal game for me personally. Pre Z DB is still grossly under represented.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:23 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:55 pm Completely agree here Robo. This would have been the ideal game for me personally. Pre Z DB is still grossly under represented.
Hell yeah, man.

And y'know what, honestly... As it stands, this game is one I'd consider picking up if I see it in a bargain bin for cheap, but... Well... Really, it just looks like an expansion on Tenkaichi's story mode with a better overworld and fights that are integrated into the freeroam stuff better/properly... (And I guess it uses a fighting system closer to Xenoverse than Tenkaichi?) And it still only covers the same limited portion of the story we've repeatedly seen covered by these bland fighting games (I'm not a big fighting game guy, so maybe it's not for me to say if they're bland, but... Well... They haven't taken my interest since I was a little kid), so... I'm not interested.

If it covered that early stuff -- that is, if it actually covered the whole damn story -- I'd probably be pretty interested in it, since it'd at least then actually cover the parts of the series I have the most love for. But as it stands, it just doesn't look that interesting. :lol:
If I want to go play a small part of the story in RPG form, I'll go with a game that isn't just a fighting game in a fancy hat, and stick to Legacy Of Goku. :lol:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:19 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:13 am
sangofe wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:10 am
Dragon Ball online actually. And this is probably just going to be a side quest since this character doesn't appear in DBZ Story. But this can also open possibilities for movie villains to appear in the game as this character involves different timelines. I think it's interesting
Yeah but he's in heroes too, in addition to xenoverse. Feels like he's over used and not original.