"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:31 am

Oh god, why Garlic Jr.?
Mad Swami wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:22 am hmm interesting which Broly? old or new?
Most likely new, since old Broly is now irrelevant.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:46 am

Scsigs wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:31 amOh god, why Garlic Jr.?
The same reason why he's the only movie villain to get his own arc, because someone, for some reason, likes him that much. On the plus side of things, if he's getting in the game, then chances are every other movie villain will as well. Although I don't think we'll get 2 Brolys so Z's Broly might be left out.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:11 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:46 am
Scsigs wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:31 amOh god, why Garlic Jr.?
The same reason why he's the only movie villain to get his own arc, because someone, for some reason, likes him that much. On the plus side of things, if he's getting in the game, then chances are every other movie villain will as well. Although I don't think we'll get 2 Brolys so Z's Broly might be left out.
You could count Paikuhan, too, although the arc isn't named after him he's the main character of the other world tournament. Hope Paikuhan will be playable.

About Broly : some French YouTuber launched a wild hypothesis about Z Broly getting his story told through movie 8, 10 and 11. Don't think that will happen, though.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:08 am

Broly and Paikuhan were mentioned in the game's files, but we're not sure if they will be part of DLCs.

The most likely possibilities are Battle of Gods (Beerus, Whis, God / Blue Vegeta models found and in the text files there are mentions of Vegeta doing the SSG ritual with the help of Future Trunks) and a DLC showing the world of Future Trunks (textures were also found for the young version of Trunks , who trained with Future Gohan before going to the past)

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:26 am

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:08 am Broly and Paikuhan were mentioned in the game's files, but we're not sure if they will be part of DLCs.

The most likely possibilities are Battle of Gods (Beerus, Whis, God / Blue Vegeta models found and in the text files there are mentions of Vegeta doing the SSG ritual with the help of Future Trunks) and a DLC showing the world of Future Trunks (textures were also found for the young version of Trunks , who trained with Future Gohan before going to the past)
We'll probably get the Trunks TV special, followed by his fight with the androids and Cell, and finally the Black arc. With BOG being in I assume RF will be as well.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:56 pm

I think this game will be strictly limited to Z content, so judging by the datamined element and the strict limitation to Z:

- The 2 DLC episodes will be Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' (if SSG Vegeta is there, it's because extra padding will show him reach this in-between, since it's the game's credo to invent untold and unseen in-between moments).
Both of them fall under the "Z" portion via the movies, which in turn allow each additional saga to be justifiably shorter than the current sagas in the game, since they are based on the short versions of the event to begin with.

- The Broly that's going to be featured is the old one. Much as I'd rather like the updated one that's actually part of the storyline to be emphasized in all media from now on instead of the old one, the new Broly comes up too late in the chronology to be inserted logically in the continuation of Z events in this game.

- Garlic Junior events will be inserted to fill the role it originally had in Z: be a filler right after the Freeza battle, during the intermission, as 2 or 3 missions max.

- Trunks' story might be inserted as a quick secondary mission. Like Gohan asks him how he was in the future, and Trunks tells the story of their training, with the mission being limited to Young Trunks fights Future Gohan in one or two battles, end of the side quest, special prerendered cutscene for Trunks finding Gohan and turning SS if we're lucky.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:13 pm

There are several nods to non-Z material. Mai and Trunks soul emblem comes to mind, they never met in Z. One of Goku's unlockable attacks is the Dragon Fist, only seen in movies and GT. There are probably more that I'm forgetting or that I've missed or haven't got there yet.

Also, to me BoG and RoF, although having the Z on their names, belong to Super. They are not part of the original manga/anime run, both are part of Super's anime and BoG even a part of Super's manga. When you open that can of worms you end up with Super: god forms, Golden Freeza, Jaco, multiverse, and all that Super stuff. But that's just me.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:54 pm

^ Yeah, I understand what you mean, but I do think the fact that the two movies are under the "Z" label will serve as a good excuse for them to dive into DBS just for the two first sagas and not more (including all of DBS would be too much, as the sagas after that include new places and quite a lot of new characters).

I think this is why Beerus, Whis and the various god forms are in the data: they are the end of the exploitation of Z before the idea of making a new part called Super in which this would be included came up.

I agree that they are DBS era, but I see how the developers might play on the fact that it was first the latest evolutions of the Z era before it became DBS.

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:14 am

While the Broly movie is indeed far into Super's continuity, I'd have no objections to seeing it covered here. It might require them to alter certain story details for the game or provide a short recap on Super to make it work, but the film's wild animation style and that nod to "Kakarot" in the final scene (mirroring the title of this game) are almost too good for a cinematically focused developer like CC2 to pass up.

The datamined SSG Vegeta model and Broly text could point to that possibility, or it might just be indicative of some subquest where Vegeta obtains the form between Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F'.

Very excited to see where this goes either way.
Formerly Marlowe89.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:53 am

Something just occurred to me earlier - other than the story-related tournament in the Boo arc, there's no real use of the tournament in this game, is there? You'd think there'd be a system similar to the Dragon Balls which reset every 20 minutes, where you could do a tournament once a day or something as a way to earn more EXP and zeni. Maybe it's something they could potentially add in an update?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:00 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:53 am Something just occurred to me earlier - other than the story-related tournament in the Boo arc, there's no real use of the tournament in this game, is there? You'd think there'd be a system similar to the Dragon Balls which reset every 20 minutes, where you could do a tournament once a day or something as a way to earn more EXP and zeni. Maybe it's something they could potentially add in an update?
I'd love to see that. With the number of characters in the game, it wouldn't be hard to pull off and would give us something else to do after the story.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:31 am

Maybe they should've called this DBZ Gohan since it's mostly about him.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:49 pm

Ya know it would've been nice to get some reward for defeating the super villainous enemies after Mira, but you don't get anything, they just respawn once you clear them out. Those fuckers are level 110-200, so bit of a bummer you get nothing out of it.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:02 pm

The Undying wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:14 am While the Broly movie is indeed far into Super's continuity, I'd have no objections to seeing it covered here. It might require them to alter certain story details for the game or provide a short recap on Super to make it work, but the film's wild animation style and that nod to "Kakarot" in the final scene (mirroring the title of this game) are almost too good for a cinematically focused developer like CC2 to pass up.

The datamined SSG Vegeta model and Broly text could point to that possibility, or it might just be indicative of some subquest where Vegeta obtains the form between Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F'.

Very excited to see where this goes either way.
I totally agree with you. They might as well skip the U6 arc, Future Trunks arc and the Tournament of Power and just re-cap them to jump straight into Broly as the latest DLC for this game. I think it would be a perfect conclusion for this game, and it shouldn’t be as much work as the other Super arcs, especially if they skip the parts in the past.

And I would love if, while they are at it, they added Planet Vampa as a playable area with the possibility of having rematches with Broly there.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Omgzord
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Omgzord » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:36 pm

Mad Swami wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:40 pm I think the Batlle power system shouldn't be there. Piccolo fused with Kami had a Battle Power like 5.7M and Goku base 7.6M which is a silly thought. Unless they were retconning the power levels to low ball them but the cutscenes in the Frieza saga confirm the Battle Powers of Frieza to be the same, and the battle powers of Goku to be the same. I would be fine with the game low balling the characters Battle Power, I enjoy some low balls. If they had base Goku in Cell saga be something like 19M that would be fine in my opinion but Piccolo at 5.6M? that is really ridiculous
Where can you guys view the battle power details? I didn't catch any power levels during the whole game.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:05 pm

Omgzord wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:36 pm
Mad Swami wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:40 pm I think the Batlle power system shouldn't be there. Piccolo fused with Kami had a Battle Power like 5.7M and Goku base 7.6M which is a silly thought. Unless they were retconning the power levels to low ball them but the cutscenes in the Frieza saga confirm the Battle Powers of Frieza to be the same, and the battle powers of Goku to be the same. I would be fine with the game low balling the characters Battle Power, I enjoy some low balls. If they had base Goku in Cell saga be something like 19M that would be fine in my opinion but Piccolo at 5.6M? that is really ridiculous
Where can you guys view the battle power details? I didn't catch any power levels during the whole game.
In the pause menu when you go to characters, below them it reads their BP or Battle Power

Omgzord
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Omgzord » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:14 pm

Mad Swami wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:05 pm
In the pause menu when you go to characters, below them it reads their BP or Battle Power
Oof I missed that. Is there a list online for it or something? I am really interested.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:31 pm

Omgzord wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:14 pm

Oof I missed that. Is there a list online for it or something? I am really interested.
It’s just based off your stats. So using food items will increase it.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:59 pm

Omgzord wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:14 pm

It varies based on levels, but the levels are also greatly influenced by the story. Permanent power-ups also affect BP but not so much from what I have noticed.
Even taking into account the possibility of eating a lot of food and grinding a lot of experience, all throughout the game these power levels are awfully close to all the official numbers we have, but they don’t take into account in-game transformations/power-ups.

So, for example, Nail-fused Piccolo will be at around more than 1 million of BP (therefore around the same level as 2nd form Freeza, as he canonically was) but then when he fuses with Kami he will be around 5 million with base Goku being around 4 million at that time. So Goku would be 200 million as a Super Saiyan, and it would make no sense for Piccolo to only be 5.
The same stuff happens with Ultimate Gohan, and when looking at the power levels in those times where you free roam with characters who are already transformed due to story reasons (ex. Free roaming with SS Goku/Gohan before the Cell Games).
Although this game treats power-ups as percentage increases in power, therefore in-game the numbers usually make sense.

To be honest these numbers are much better and more digestible than the official ones, and I wished the Kaioken and Super Saiyan increased the power by percentages in the official story too.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:37 pm

I'm already at the final portion of the Buu arc, about to see Kid Buu emerge. I enjoyed this arc very much, it is pretty faithful and nicely done. The music is great, and the Land of the Kais looks awesome, too bad the orbs found there are the regular ones and not those rare, white, special orbs, time orbs I think they are called.

While no fights are fought during the tenkaichi budokai, and Goten vs Trunks is skipped, I can see why. Nobody important fought in the show and the game preferred not to choose between Goten and Trunks for us to fight as. I loved seeing the people on the background in the tournament, I thought the stands would be empty, not shown or just cardboard people like in XV, but no, they look fantastic.
I loved the scenario for Pui Pui and Yakon, the same stage but dark. I wished Dabura and Gohan fought in that weird lava place Babidi took them to, but it is still ok.
Super Buu arc looks great, I think it's a nice touch to see ghost towns, places where usually have people now empty. Ultimate Gohan is a beast, and with surge he is unstoppable.
Super Vegito is also fantastic, and I wish the fight wasn't just one, maybe a two-round encounter? IDK.

My complains would be skipping Goku's SS forms dissection vs Buu, Buutenks defusion, Buucollo, and Choco Vegito. And not giving us SS2 Gohan vs Kibito cracking and lifting the tiles of the arena. That could also go for the whole game, sort of lackluster transformations. Didn't mind not fighting as Base Gotenks vs Fat Buu, though. Actually I hate that part of the series.
And even though I had fun with the fights and never seemed to me easy or repetitive, I still wonder if we'll ever get past the DEFEAT THIS STRONGER CHARACTER THAT IN THE SHOW IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO DEFEAT scenario, I'd prefer a SURVIVE FOR A WHILE VS THIS OP FOE gameplay. Take Ultimate Gohan vs Buutenk for instance, I would like some defensive style-of-play that makes me take a more defensive approach and not just defeat him and then pretend in the following cutscene that he is beating me, when I just beat him. I still enjoyed the hell out of the fights on his arc.

With Kid Buu still in the horizon, I give this arc an 8.5/10. (Hoping for a cutscene for Kid Buu vs the kaioshin)

I don't know if its just a coincidence, probably is, but the feels I get from XV's stages when roaming around the cities makes me happy.