"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:49 am

I think the Bardock DLC is more related to the development and spotlight he is getting in the manga. I know it doesn’t make much sense, but it makes more sense than going back to it instead of moving forward with maybe the Black arc, or introducing Broly and blue fusión (we already have regular fusion).

And yes, the loading screens killed this game for me. And it had been fixed! When I finished the game, the LS were much longer. They still are, I spent more time watching the Z gang’s shadows than playing.
Those “got get one fucking thing from somebody across the map” should’ve been cool cutscenes instead of you having to travel through at least two loading screens.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:59 am

I don't know if I mentioned it in this thread, but Bardock makes a lot of sense to me with Kakarot, as we got Trunks' TV Special with Buu arc bonus, basically being a parallel story to Cell and Buu arc from the main game, as it wraps the whole Z package and technically, Battle Of Gods and Ressurection F are part of Z by branding.

I have never expected other parts of Super, like Black or anything else to come in as you would end up with incomplete Super story and that Beerus DLC is not much else than a bonus as well, as it is completely alternate story to both Z and Super adaptations and having Universe 6 Tournament, Black and Universe Survival arc is too much for developing teams to swallow.

So Bardock makes sense as everything else would feel pretty disjointed to the rest of the game.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:08 am

If this Z Bardock DLC is true, then that sounds interesting to play through the special & exploring Planet Vegeta. The special itself doesn't really give a lot to work with and on paper should make for a pretty short DLC, but there are a good deal of opportunities for expansion in terms of the setting & lore (even though I don't put too much stock into Kakarot lore). Not really counting on anything from Minus or the Super manga cropping up like the Trunks DLC did, since the former's mostly incongruent (though Xenoverse 1 & 2 do reference & implement Gine into Z Bardock's dialogue) with the special, while the latter does feature actual new characters & setting (The Heeters, Monaito, Planet Cereal) rather than just established ones (Dabura, Babidi, the future city).

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:19 am

MCDaveG wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:21 am The DLC coming like this late with Bardock is unusual and as it is rumour, if it really comes true...
Do you think that Trunks DLC sold so well, that they thought, hey, these TV special work really well, plus Bardock is quite popular character, let's cash on it?

Also, I play Kakarot on PS4 and plan to upgrade on PS5 later this year... those loading times between every location are tedious!
Are the loading times faster on PS5? This is something I forgot about and as I do story replay after finishing Trunks, I can't stand it.
You can go to a toilet or fix yourself some snack, even during some quests, when you fly over to Korin, LOADING SCREEN!!! for like a minute "Hey, Korin, what's up?" "I need some shrooms man, but they are in Central Plains area" LOADING SCREEN!!! :wtf:
It's like this game steals your time you have on this Earth as I bet that 1/4 of the total play time are loading screens :lol:
Wait, there's a Bardock DLC coming? It'd be really great if they could port the game to Xbox Series X/S & PS5 too. Or at least do a 60FPS patch for them.
Playing it on my Series X, the load times are a bit improved. SSDs will naturally do that. They're definitely quicker than it used to be, but they're still there. I'd love if they could port it to the new consoles so the load times would either be a few seconds, or nonexistent.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Thu May 12, 2022 5:13 am

I originally beat on PC. Load times were non existent. Replayed on switch (and saw my friends ps4 pro) and the load times are rough. An update on ps5/xsx should be easy enough

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu May 12, 2022 12:56 pm

LettuceJUMP wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:13 am I originally beat on PC. Load times were non existent. Replayed on switch (and saw my friends ps4 pro) and the load times are rough. An update on ps5/xsx should be easy enough
But it all depends on if Bandai Namco wanna fund one. They really should, especially to give the dev team the ability to add in the left out fights & moments of the Cell Saga.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon May 16, 2022 1:13 pm

I guess they'll just focus on the Z version of the character and plot, since this is primarly a "Z" game.
Though the Trunks DLC thankfully included some Super elements, I doubt it will be the same with Bardack since it's hard to reconcile both versions of the character, events and settings (even planet Vegeta doesn't look the same).

You can't have the Z version saying he couldn't care less about his brat and then coming home to his wife and being caring about how his son is doing and what's safer for him.
Even the sheer fact that the Z version considers his son like trash implies he doesn't value his relationship with Goku's mother either, invalidating his "Super" feelings for Gine in the process for example.

So I might be wrong, but I think they'll stick to the Z material (which could include the original TV movie and possibly Episode of Bardack if they're striving for more content) and wouldn't be able to mix in Super elements in a logical way.

It might depend on if they're interested in depicting it the way it was depicted back then to go with the Z nostalgia of the game (in which case it's original Bardack), or if they're interested in depicting what has actually been revealed as being the real story as of today (in which case it's Minus / Super Bardack). But I don't think they can somehow mix elements from both "worlds".

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:14 am

I've bought this game at launch for the ps4 and kinda abandoned the game for a long time. Decided to buy the digital deluxe edition for the switch since it was on discount recently through the Hong Kong e-shop without realizing it isn't in English. Luckily, I can read Chinese and language barrier isn't an issue. Having been introduced to the franchise through the Hong Kong release of the manga, it really takes me back. Although my only problem with the Chinese release of the game is the major name changes. I'm more accustomed to the Hong Kong version and the translation for this game is handled by the Taiwanese. I have a few tankoubon from Taiwan as well and some of the names differ from even the Taiwanese Tong Li version of the manga. Like, Vegeta is known as 貝吉達 in the game but I've always known he was 達爾 in the Taiwanese release of the manga (and even in the Taiwanese dub of the anime). And yet, they've kept some of the other names from the Taiwan release of the manga like 塞魯 (Cell) or 生化人 (Androids).

Westerners won't understand but Hong Kongers have always had a problem with translations coming from Taiwan.
The world is your's.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:05 pm

I'm about to visit Guru. The Namek arc is getting on my nerves a bit honestly - I don't like how there's been such minimal freedom to roam around, because you can only explore a very narrow area before you have to turn back around. I preferred the non-linearity and freedom of the Saiyan saga and hope that the Cell and Majin Buu arcs are more akin to that.

Love the game otherwise though.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:35 pm

Dr. Casey wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:05 pm I'm about to visit Guru. The Namek arc is getting on my nerves a bit honestly - I don't like how there's been such minimal freedom to roam around, because you can only explore a very narrow area before you have to turn back around. I preferred the non-linearity and freedom of the Saiyan saga and hope that the Cell and Majin Buu arcs are more akin to that.

Love the game otherwise though.
And it's hard to find side quests upon first play through.
The world is your's.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:51 am

Meanwhile, still zero news about the DLC that was supposed to be announced "soon" back in April.

Again, I would really like companies to clearly state "the game is done with new content" or "we're still working on extra stuff for the game, we'll get back to you later".

They've done a good job with that when it comes to Fighterz, clearly stating "coming with rollback for current-gen hardware, but no more characters nor gameplay patches, we're done with the game after that".

With Kakarot, developers should officially say "there are still things coming" or "we're done with new content" instead of letting us try to figure it out on our own as time goes by, trying to decide what insider and rumor is reliable or not and fueling our imagination with things that might never happen in the end.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:15 am

Cold Skin wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:51 am With Kakarot, developers should officially say "there are still things coming" or "we're done with new content" instead of letting us try to figure it out on our own as time goes by, trying to decide what insider and rumor is reliable or not and fueling our imagination with things that might never happen in the end.
The truth of the matter is: they may not actually know themselves.

Maybe there's something planned, maybe the (small/skeleton) crew assigned to any additional DLC got pulled onto larger, more timely projects at the developer, maybe they're waiting for some other dependency to be released so they can move ahead or announce something, etc.

For something like a single-player game like this, I don't really think there's any reason to get worked up over potential future content and what's been said vs. what's not been said. So far they've delivered exactly what they promised from the beginning, and if anything else happens to come later? Gravy, right?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:42 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:51 am Meanwhile, still zero news about the DLC that was supposed to be announced "soon" back in April.
In the video game industry, even credible leakers can be susceptible to false leads. Kakarot already fulfilled everything in its expansion schedule and isn't a live-service multiplayer game like FighterZ, so I've found this rumor questionable from the start. The game is, for all intents and purposes, a complete, finished package.

Or maybe something happened behind the scenes, as VegettoEX mentioned. Could be any number of things, but I'm thinking it's most likely fake.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:03 am

Bardock got confirmed with aa new season pass according to Vjump.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:55 am

Explorable Planet Vegeta already sells me. Though now I'm really curious what the other two DLCs are gonna be if this is just one of three.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:03 am

I find it strange that they haven't tried to incorporate more of the planet's architecture as seen in Minus/Broly. Specially the town. It's not like the original TV special explored much of the planet, so why not merge what they can?

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:39 am

Anyone else hoping for Episode of Bardock to be in this DLC?

For the other two DLC - I imagine they'll be shorter DLC's like Beerus & Frieza.

I'm hoping for Janemba DLC and Wrath of the Dragon

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:06 am

The games are also coming to PS5 & Xbox Series X/S with enhanced graphics & 60FPS! yes!
https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoUS/statu ... 5213914117

On another note, I'm both surprised & not surprised that they're making new DLCs for this game. It sold pretty well & I'm sure that Bandai Namco want a nice return on investment for having them port the game to the 9th gen consoles, similar to Ubisoft putting. Assassin's Creed: Origins on Game Pass for doing the 60FPS patch for those consoles as well. Wonder if they'd put this on GP or Sony's newer subscription service as well. It'd be interesting if they did.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:12 pm

I'm hyped! Finally a game where I can play as a villain (I'm not couting Breakers, it's not my cup of a tea). OG Bardock is a douchbag and a murderer, I wonder if we'll get some side missions where we exterminate some minor races for Frieza.

Also, I'm hoping for some nice version of "Solid State Scouter" during battle with Frieza's fodder and Frieza himself.

I'm somewhat relieved. OG Z's Bardock is way more interesting than Minus/Super's Bardock. I like Minus/Super's design of Bardock but story wise his whole character is ass.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.