"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:47 am

DBZ Kakarot DLC 3 new scans from V Jump

- The scan mentions and shows destroyed Orange City, so we can probably go to places other than just West City just like the main game

- Roshi on a submarine with Pual and Oolong. If it’s in the Kame House area like the TV special showed, then it’s probably another area available on the DLC

- There will be a new mechanic / mode (?) - Android Assult. Red Ribbon robots will patrol the field and the player will have to destroy them or flee before they alert the androids. If that happens, you will have to fight them. Kinda like a survival

Nosferatu93
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nosferatu93 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:42 pm

Its a rushed game with awesome effects but boring fighting system also its easy as heck. Damn good dragonball games disappeared of this planet :-(

Got bored in the namek saga but a sequel has huge potential. Tenkaichi 1 was also much much worse than 2 . Hope is there🐥
Hellsing

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:34 pm

Nosferatu93 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:42 pm Its a rushed game with awesome effects but boring fighting system also its easy as heck. Damn good dragonball games disappeared of this planet :-(

Got bored in the namek saga but a sequel has huge potential. Tenkaichi 1 was also much much worse than 2 . Hope is there🐥
I very much doubt a potential sequel is in the cards. As for the base game, I don't think it's that rushed. It's definitely missing some of the best parts of the Android arc, but that's the only thing I consider such. Everything else is pretty well represented. It IS a bit on the easy side, yeah, but it's only if you're keeping in-step with the levels the enemies are at, since the enemies can devastate you if you're under-leveled & vice-versa if you're more over-leveled since the game doesn't have smart difficulty where the enemies are scaled to your level. The gameplay isn't too great, since they based it off of Xenoverse's, but I like it enough.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

dualist
Regular

Post by dualist » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:06 am

Scsigs wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:34 pm
Nosferatu93 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:42 pm Its a rushed game with awesome effects but boring fighting system also its easy as heck. Damn good dragonball games disappeared of this planet :-(

I very much doubt a potential sequel is in the cards. As for the base game, I don't think it's that rushed. It's definitely missing some of the best parts of the Android arc, but that's the only thing I consider such. Everything else is pretty well represented. It IS a bit on the easy side, yeah, but it's only if you're keeping in-step with the levels the enemies are at, since the enemies can devastate you if you're under-leveled & vice-versa if you're more over-leveled since the game doesn't have smart difficulty where the enemies are scaled to your level. The gameplay isn't too great, since they based it off of Xenoverse's, but I like it enough.
I agree, I think this games has its flaws like most DB games, but I really did enjoy it. My biggest gripe is definitely the difficulty level, but I play games sporadically nowadays and took my time. So I found the DLCs and late-game villainous a little challenging because I purposely avoided leveling up quickly and only eating every once in a while to improve stats. With that being said, I shouldn't have to play the game a certain way to make it difficult.
Playing Xenovoerse on PS4
PSN Tag: Dualist721

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:57 pm

I think my main issue with the game was just how limited all the minor enemies are that you encounter non stop on the overworld.

Saibamen
RR robots
Frieza soldiers
Babidi soldiers

But I’d say it felt like 95% of them tended to be the RR robots.

I did like all the side quests in terms of dialogue and small pieces of lore they added at times bridging between arcs. (Teen Gohan post cell)

Nosferatu93
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nosferatu93 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:44 am

And that annoying one liner every time 1 is near which is always🤡
Hellsing

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:34 am

dualist wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:06 am I agree, I think this games has its flaws like most DB games, but I really did enjoy it. My biggest gripe is definitely the difficulty level, but I play games sporadically nowadays and took my time. So I found the DLCs and late-game villainous a little challenging because I purposely avoided leveling up quickly and only eating every once in a while to improve stats. With that being said, I shouldn't have to play the game a certain way to make it difficult.
Yeah. It reminds me of what Kingdom Hearts II did right with its enemies, where it had a scaler that made them more in-step with your level so you didn't either do garbage chip damage, or get your ass shredded because you were under-leveled or something, but it also retained some difficulty. More games need that that try to go the RPG route. When you have to artificially make a fight harder or longer by increasing the enemy's health pool, or limit the player unfairly, that's garbage design. That's what KH3 did, though DDD & BBS are guilt of this too on top of having the bosses have bullshit randomized attack patterns. This game has poor enemy scaling & grinding before the DLCs added in an actual good way to do it was shit because the enemies gave awful amounts of experience points. Not fun. But then the game's also on the easy side if you're keeping in-step with the bosses &/or cheese it, which is very easy to do. It's weird.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Tue May 04, 2021 1:30 pm

The problem with this game is the same problem with a Superman game: How can you have any tension with characters that can blow up planets with a single ki shot? It becomes hard to take the game seriously when its constantly throwing robots and dinosaurs at you, even though you know that Goku could demolish all of them. It's bloat to make a game longer than it actually is.

I've said this before, I'll say it again: an RPG of this quality that's focus on the original Dragon Ball would be absolutely perfect. The show itself, especially in its origins, is a parody of fantasy tropes in general. And Rpg system where you help NPCs, grind out monsters, and explore an open world is perfect for the Dragon Ball setting. Just thinking about it makes me mad since its such a perfect fit, and it'd be really easy to fit in newer stories that mesh well with the comedy centric tone of Dragon Ball.

Of course that won't happen since Dragon Ball doesn't have super saiyans or Vegeta.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed May 05, 2021 3:48 am

kemuri07 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:30 pm The problem with this game is the same problem with a Superman game: How can you have any tension with characters that can blow up planets with a single ki shot? It becomes hard to take the game seriously when its constantly throwing robots and dinosaurs at you, even though you know that Goku could demolish all of them. It's bloat to make a game longer than it actually is.

I've said this before, I'll say it again: an RPG of this quality that's focus on the original Dragon Ball would be absolutely perfect. The show itself, especially in its origins, is a parody of fantasy tropes in general. And Rpg system where you help NPCs, grind out monsters, and explore an open world is perfect for the Dragon Ball setting. Just thinking about it makes me mad since its such a perfect fit, and it'd be really easy to fit in newer stories that mesh well with the comedy centric tone of Dragon Ball.

Of course that won't happen since Dragon Ball doesn't have super saiyans or Vegeta.
I mean...no. Dragon Ball has a built-in power scaler through the storytelling. What an RPG needs to do is balance it accordingly. Unfortunately, the game doesn't have good scaling in terms of its programming. Things are either a bit too hard, or too easy.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed May 05, 2021 3:54 am

kemuri07 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:30 pm I've said this before, I'll say it again: an RPG of this quality that's focus on the original Dragon Ball would be absolutely perfect. The show itself, especially in its origins, is a parody of fantasy tropes in general. And Rpg system where you help NPCs, grind out monsters, and explore an open world is perfect for the Dragon Ball setting. Just thinking about it makes me mad since its such a perfect fit, and it'd be really easy to fit in newer stories that mesh well with the comedy centric tone of Dragon Ball.
DB Online (the MMO) was literally this :lol:
I got lots of nostalgic DB feeling from it, especially the quests that brought you to the past.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed May 05, 2021 4:58 am

Xeogran wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:54 am
kemuri07 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:30 pm I've said this before, I'll say it again: an RPG of this quality that's focus on the original Dragon Ball would be absolutely perfect. The show itself, especially in its origins, is a parody of fantasy tropes in general. And Rpg system where you help NPCs, grind out monsters, and explore an open world is perfect for the Dragon Ball setting. Just thinking about it makes me mad since its such a perfect fit, and it'd be really easy to fit in newer stories that mesh well with the comedy centric tone of Dragon Ball.
DB Online (the MMO) was literally this :lol:
I got lots of nostalgic DB feeling from it, especially the quests that brought you to the past.
This! And it made lot of sense. I really loved the atmosphere of it.
Instead of ''you are member of one of these races, somehow, without explanation and will work for time patrol'', there was actual lore.
I don't think I remember it right, but all humans were part Saiyans and it was explained in some way, so it wasn't weird that there were whole world of them running around and you had Namekians, Dragon and Sorcerer clan and Buu, good and evil, offspring of the original Majin Buu and it was set like more than 100 years after the end of Z.

It was the sequel that everyone kinda wished for and dealt with absence of Goku and Vegeta creatively and I enjoyed it a lot.
Sure, the designs were a bit off sometimes... but man, I take it back, as playing Kakarot where all NPC's are basically RR Army Skull robots.

I really don't get this Japanese mindset of approaching their own franchises. Everytime, something is developed outside of Japan, be it Legacy of Goku in US, DB Online in Korea and other IPs, there is ton of creativity and new stuff, that somehow fits and is enjoyable.
When Japan handles the same IP, see Xenoverse or Kakarot, they are like ''OK, let's create something groundbreaking, leave everything as it is, but add either boring and repetitive quests to it, with minor designs or add Character Creation system, tell people it's time patrol and yadda yadda and leave the story of Z, as it is... just toss in Turles with the fruit, but not on Earth, but Namek and that will blow people's minds!''
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Wed May 05, 2021 3:50 pm

Scsigs wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:48 am
kemuri07 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:30 pm The problem with this game is the same problem with a Superman game: How can you have any tension with characters that can blow up planets with a single ki shot? It becomes hard to take the game seriously when its constantly throwing robots and dinosaurs at you, even though you know that Goku could demolish all of them. It's bloat to make a game longer than it actually is.

I mean...no. Dragon Ball has a built-in power scaler through the storytelling. What an RPG needs to do is balance it accordingly. Unfortunately, the game doesn't have good scaling in terms of its programming. Things are either a bit too hard, or too easy.
Sure. But DB operates in a world that is similar to a Dragon Quest. And in that context, Dragon Ball makes perfect sense as an RPG, less so DBZ. Dragon Ball is much more flexible in its storytelling than Dragon Ball Z, especially since Z is pretty much defined by its "time focus" approached to its story. It's not hard to see an ambitious developer take the structure of the original DB, and add a shit ton of story content while hitting all of main story beats of that series.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Fri May 21, 2021 1:49 pm

Well, at least a confirmation that this DLC will cover the story until the defeat of the androids / Cell (I really thought it might not have happened, which would be bad).

There is still no release date for the DLC, so I wonder what remains to be shown on the V JUMP until then.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri May 21, 2021 1:56 pm

They'll have my full attention if the next thing they announce is the Majin Buu saga for Trunks. Since no release date was spoken, that's what I'm looking forward.

The anime didn't provide as much content with a crap flashback that barely shows anything, so they would have to take it from the manga. It's not a tendency for games to adapt manga-only stuff, but they wouldn't have any other choice. Except, maybe, coming up with their own take of the events to fill in the gaps, in case they don't want to base too much on a material not everyone reads/has access to.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Fri May 21, 2021 2:27 pm

Grimlock wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:56 pm They'll have my full attention if the next thing they announce is the Majin Buu saga for Trunks. Since no release date was spoken, that's what I'm looking forward.

The anime didn't provide as much content with a crap flashback that barely shows anything, so they would have to take it from the manga. It's not a tendency for games to adapt manga-only stuff, but they wouldn't have any other choice. Except, maybe, coming up with their own take of the events to fill in the gaps, in case they don't want to base too much on a material not everyone reads/has access to.
Honestly, I believe that at best there may be some kind of epilogue or a secret side story after the end of the DLC (like the fight against Mira in the base game) where we see Trunks facing Dabura and Babidi, teasing Black's appearance for a possible sequel (which may never happen), but not the actual Boo arc seen through the eyes of Trunks

But who knows ... there is still time for more to be revealed. I just don't want to set false expectations and be disappointed, I was already imagining the possibility of Cell not being included lol

dualist
Regular

Post by dualist » Fri May 21, 2021 2:28 pm

Grimlock wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:56 pm They'll have my full attention if the next thing they announce is the Majin Buu saga for Trunks. Since no release date was spoken, that's what I'm looking forward.

This is exactly what I'm hoping for. This would take this DLC to the next level and add something fresh to the game.
Playing Xenovoerse on PS4
PSN Tag: Dualist721

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat May 22, 2021 12:37 am

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:27 pmHonestly, I believe that at best there may be some kind of epilogue or a secret side story after the end of the DLC (like the fight against Mira in the base game) where we see Trunks facing Dabura and Babidi, teasing Black's appearance for a possible sequel (which may never happen), but not the actual Boo arc seen through the eyes of Trunks

But who knows ... there is still time for more to be revealed. I just don't want to set false expectations and be disappointed, I was already imagining the possibility of Cell not being included lol
Speaking of Mira, it still feels weird his and Towa's appearances, but this DLC could be a nice way to finally give them some sort of "reason/explanation" to be there, not simply an homage or whatever they had in mind to include them. It would be great if they briefly show Trunks becoming Time Patroller either after dealing with Dabura and Babidi or, who knows, after Future Trunks saga.

So far, only the Heroes manga depicted this moment, but I believe each time we'd see Trunks becoming Time Patroller, it'd be different. So I'd like to see their take on this matter too.
dualist wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:28 pmThis is exactly what I'm hoping for. This would take this DLC to the next level and add something fresh to the game.
Yeah, it'd be great. Even more so with what I said just above, it's time to seal Trunks' fate as a Time Patroller, not by living with himself.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu May 27, 2021 8:44 pm

But what else could be told about the future's timeline Buu arc? there is nobody left besides Trunks, and Buu doesn't get revived (luckily for Trunks). It's just one fight against Dabura, probably not even the TB happened, and if it did then it was with laughable participants.

I mean, I would love that part of the story to be included(and maybe have Black following the action from afar), but there's nothing more to it than training with the Z-Sword and fighting just one dude. Pui Pui and Yakon don't even deserve a mention, with Trunks' mindset they probably died before coming out of their chambers.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu May 27, 2021 11:28 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:44 pm But what else could be told about the future's timeline Buu arc? there is nobody left besides Trunks, and Buu doesn't get revived (luckily for Trunks). It's just one fight against Dabura, probably not even the TB happened, and if it did then it was with laughable participants.

I mean, I would love that part of the story to be included(and maybe have Black following the action from afar), but there's nothing more to it than training with the Z-Sword and fighting just one dude. Pui Pui and Yakon don't even deserve a mention, with Trunks' mindset they probably died before coming out of their chambers.
And unless Dabura and such get changed, it'll just be more "It's boss fights we've already done, but with Future Trunks."
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:41 am

And suddenly, a release date and gameplay for DLC 3, June 11th

https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1400094257520660488

One-armed Gohan's adapted combos/skills look cool, and it's refreshing to finally see him fight in this version. Except for that there's not much to the gameplay tho.

Also, the official DB site pretty much confirms that the DLC will adapt the TV special, also covering the fight against Cell after the androids defeat (so if there's anything beyond that it'll just be in some kind of bonus or epilogue mission).

https://en.dragon-ball-official.com/news/01_161.html

What caught my attention is the fact that the article says that after the defeat of the androids, Trunks must continue training and learning new ''special moves'' to face Cell, so I wonder if we'll see a bit of the world after peace is restored, similar to the intermissions during the story arcs in the main game, instead of jumping straight into the fight against Cell 3 years later