"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:49 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:32 amI wonder why people say this game sucked is it because it’s retread of Z again?
Yes. We have decades of games retreading Dragon Ball Z over and over, each time getting more boring and tedious. There must be a time that we must just say "enough!" and start getting something different, something new. Something that contributes to the overall franchise.

That time is now. Thanks to the lord Dragon Ball Online and the magnific efforts of Dimps (Dragon Ball Heroes, Dragon Ball Xenoverse) and ArcSys (Dragon Ball FighterZ), we got great content and a bunch of new characters. That solidifies the videogames as a new medium for new content, enriching the franchise.

We can't keep stuck with the same nonsense forever when we could be looking at new horizons. I still want Cyber Connect2 to develop another Dragon Ball game, but only as long as they do their own thing and add something worthwhile. No more dark ages of the Dragon Ball games!
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:02 am

I really don't see how retelling the story in a DBZ game would make it a "dark age." And, in the age we're in where more games than not don't do that in the franchise, there's not a lot of reason why they couldn't make a game that follows the story. Now, I agree that they should be covering more of the story instead of just the Z & Super portions. I'd honestly like a game that gives the other parts a good amount of love. Just doing Z is overdone.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:32 am

Grimlock wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:49 am
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:32 amI wonder why people say this game sucked is it because it’s retread of Z again?
Yes. We have decades of games retreading Dragon Ball Z over and over, each time getting more boring and tedious. There must be a time that we must just say "enough!" and start getting something different, something new. Something that contributes to the overall franchise.

That time is now. Thanks to the lord Dragon Ball Online and the magnific efforts of Dimps (Dragon Ball Heroes, Dragon Ball Xenoverse) and ArcSys (Dragon Ball FighterZ), we got great content and a bunch of new characters. That solidifies the videogames as a new medium for new content, enriching the franchise.

We can't keep stuck with the same nonsense forever when we could be looking at new horizons. I still want Cyber Connect2 to develop another Dragon Ball game, but only as long as they do their own thing and add something worthwhile. No more dark ages of the Dragon Ball games!
I agree I want something new however I’m nervous with the way Bandai has been operating with DB as of late. Breakers while something different is somewhat of a misstep. Rather I think you can do something different and still be good quality

I wish Bandai would look at what are the type of games that gamers have a need for that other companies aren’t fulfilling and try & throw dragon ball on it with their own spin of said game that formula seem to have worked for FighterZ (since MVCI was terrible) it was essentially marvel versus Capcom but with Dragon Ball characters. For example people were highly dissatisfied with the last Paper Mario game cause it wasn’t the old style. Why don’t do a RPG type game like Thousand Year Door but with OG DB all the way to the end of the 23rd tournament with a little story twists of course.

Or heck a Dragonball racing game with two players having control of one vehicle would be interesting especially since Toriyama likes designing cars and mechs it would fit well into his wheelhouse and have a chance for other characters who aren’t fighters to participate.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:02 am

It's been almost 10 years since the last time we had a straight up Z adaptation. The last time was what, Battle of Z? They were already experimenting with Ultimate Tenkaichi and Raging Blast 2's story modes.

I'd say Kakarot is a warm welcome. The "dark ages" in terms of not having original stories would be the 2000s.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:22 am

I just got Kakarot for christmas from my partnet and maybe it was an awful idea since I am not a gamer. But I love DB so I gave it a try. I am not going to return it (on steam) so I better improve.

RPG is hard. Also I have some previous gaming experience with skyrim and it's driving me crazy that there is no potion to increase health in kakarot. Very confusing for a beginner but I can say I am enjoying the cinematics and eventough I did not get the version with the the japanese music DLC I can say I don't hate it's music and it's very fun to play... uh... wish me luck!

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:55 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:32 am That’s Good news! I wonder why people say this game sucked is it because it’s retread of Z again?
Not necessarily. I think people "liked it" the same way they "like" anime arena fighters. I wouldn't say Kakarot sucks, but the big issue is that the story doesn't really work as an "RPG."

I've said this once, and I'll say it again: The original Dragon Ball would be perfect for this type of game.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:02 am

Yuji wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:02 am It's been almost 10 years since the last time we had a straight up Z adaptation. The last time was what, Battle of Z? They were already experimenting with Ultimate Tenkaichi and Raging Blast 2's story modes.

I'd say Kakarot is a warm welcome. The "dark ages" in terms of not having original stories would be the 2000s.
Also, Kakarot is supposed to be the ultimate experience in terms of retelling the Z story, as no other DB game has tried to recreate that story that way (semi open world, exploration, RPG mechanics and a focus on supposedly making you '' live'' like the characters, with training, food and such). The last DB games with similar models were The Legacy of Goku 2 and Buu's Fury (hence why many consider Kakarot to be a remastered version of these games)

Yes, some of these elements feel undercooked but the point is I would hardly consider Kakarot ''more of the same'' just because it tells a story that although we've seen it several times (not so much in recent years actually), hasn't been told in this way or in a game like this.

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:26 am

If we do get a Story DLC next year, I'd love to see the Goku Black Saga.

I honestly don't really care for the Universe 6 Saga. And I know, Zeno is important to the arc's ending - just give our boy Future Trunks a happier ending pls :cry:

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:10 pm

My only grievance with the story is the Cell arc, it seems rushed, some things are missing and other details were overlooked like the Cell Games arena.
But the Saiyan and the Buu arc are phenomenal.

And yes, the side quests can be a little dull, and the bots you fight could have been more varied, instead of pirate robots and appules. But the fun I had playing the main story was unprecedented.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:32 pm

I thought it was great to get a game that goes back to the main story, but I'm surprised to hear people complaining, it threw in enough new and unique things (like the new facts we learned about the lore, Android 21, towa and Mira) plus all the new side quests. Not to mention this was one of the best retelling we've had in game form and that we finally got the buu saga covered well in a 3D game (obviously the GBA games probably cover story the best)

The funny thing is I don't think Dragon Ball works well as a game in this genre. What game play can you really assign to all the talking the series has. Fights obviously transfer well and some mini games to cover training or unique activities are normally fun (like infinite world did) but yeah a lot of the series doesn't translate well to a game unfortunately.

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:58 pm

Saiya6Cit wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:22 am I just got Kakarot for christmas from my partnet and maybe it was an awful idea since I am not a gamer. But I love DB so I gave it a try. I am not going to return it (on steam) so I better improve.

RPG is hard. Also I have some previous gaming experience with skyrim and it's driving me crazy that there is no potion to increase health in kakarot. Very confusing for a beginner but I can say I am enjoying the cinematics and eventough I did not get the version with the the japanese music DLC I can say I don't hate it's music and it's very fun to play... uh... wish me luck!

Enjoy! There are definitely health upgrades you get that can be used in battle. You’ll see if you are a dbz fan there is a lot to love!

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:00 pm

Scsigs wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:12 pm I really wish this game would either get a 60FPS patch for the new consoles, or a next gen port that ups the visual quality, cuts down on load times, & ups the frame rate with all the DLCs baked in. Maybe with a proper NG+ in it. It'd be great, imo.
I agree. I played on my high end pc with ssd and loading was non-existent. My friend with a ps4 pro did not love his experience as much as every time you travel the loading times were inconvenient. I played again on the switch and although it was not as buttery smooth or quick as my pc experience, i still enjoyed the game.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:24 pm

LettuceJUMP wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:00 pm I agree. I played on my high end pc with ssd and loading was non-existent. My friend with a ps4 pro did not love his experience as much as every time you travel the loading times were inconvenient. I played again on the switch and although it was not as buttery smooth or quick as my pc experience, i still enjoyed the game.
I'd honestly be happy just with a 60FPS patch, tbh. Loading times could be taken care of too, but 30FPS is annoying.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:40 am

Just finished the Buu arc and side quests. Those game is very fun and I enjoy some of the changes made in the story.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:43 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:40 am Just finished the Buu arc and side quests. Those game is very fun and I enjoy some of the changes made in the story.
I'd agree, but the omissions of most of the Vegeta & Trunks fights against Cell was a shame & should've been added in post launch as part of the DLCs.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:31 pm

nato25 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:32 pm Not to mention this was one of the best retelling we've had in game form
Notwithstanding the Legacy of Goku series, I'd argue it's the most faithful retelling and representation of Dragon World in the entire medium. I've said before that Kakarot isn't without its problems, but that's no small feat. I've never put anywhere close to a hundred hours with a DB game until this one.

With that said, I'd be more sympathetic to the complaint that we're retreading old ground if there's yet another Z game after this. I'd rather adapt Toriyama's material than go with these bland ass time travel stories à la Xenoverse, but if we're gonna go that route, we might as well cover Super.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:05 pm

Mr Baggins wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:31 pm Notwithstanding the Legacy of Goku series, I'd argue it's the most faithful retelling and representation of Dragon World in the entire medium. I've said before that Kakarot isn't without its problems, but that's no small feat. I've never put anywhere close to a hundred hours with a DB game until this one.

With that said, I'd be more sympathetic to the complaint that we're retreading old ground if there's yet another Z game after this. I'd rather adapt Toriyama's material than go with these bland ass time travel stories à la Xenoverse, but if we're gonna go that route, we might as well cover Super.
The main problem with the Xenoverse games, imo, is that they're retellings of the Z story (also now Super's) while being wrapped in time travel stories were you have to fix shit that happens to make things go wrong (which, if you think about it, there's no need for because time travel in DB is consistently shown to be the travelers creating new alternate timelines rather than the future the travelers come from changing) rather than telling any real new stories of true merit & vary in quality. Like, I'm not saying you can't enjoy the Xenoverse games if that's what you wanna enjoy out of a video game, but let's not bullshit & just call a spade a spade here. At least with Kakarot, while there were deviations & additions, it gives me a good retelling of the manga's story, though with deletions that make no sense in the Cell Saga & the first DLC was disappointing, but the third was really good, imo.
I also don't understand the complaint of a game based on an anime & manga retelling the story from those. I can understand disappointment if it does it poorly & the game is hot garbage cough Sagas cough, but not if it's competent or good at doing that. And also if we just get games that give us new material all the time like we do with Dragon Ball. I personally would like a game based around the original Dragon Ball & Super like Kakarot. It'd be cool to see what CC2 could do with those arcs. Though, I know we won't get them because Bandai doesn't think there's money in doing so.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:01 pm

Scsigs wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:05 pm
Mr Baggins wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:31 pm Notwithstanding the Legacy of Goku series, I'd argue it's the most faithful retelling and representation of Dragon World in the entire medium. I've said before that Kakarot isn't without its problems, but that's no small feat. I've never put anywhere close to a hundred hours with a DB game until this one.

The main problem with the Xenoverse games, imo, is that they're retellings of the Z story (also now Super's) while being wrapped in time travel stories were you have to fix shit that happens to make things go wrong (which, if you think about it, there's no need for because time travel in DB is consistently shown to be the travelers creating new alternate timelines rather than the future the travelers come from changing) rather than telling any real new stories of true merit & vary in quality. Like, I'm not saying you can't enjoy the Xenoverse games if that's what you wanna enjoy out of a video game, but let's not bullshit & just call a spade a spade here. At least with Kakarot, while there were deviations & additions, it gives me a good retelling of the manga's story, though with deletions that make no sense in the Cell Saga & the first DLC was disappointing, but the third was really good, imo.
I also don't understand the complaint of a game based on an anime & manga retelling the story from those. I can understand disappointment if it does it poorly & the game is hot garbage cough Sagas cough, but not if it's competent or good at doing that. And also if we just get games that give us new material all the time like we do with Dragon Ball. I personally would like a game based around the original Dragon Ball & Super like Kakarot. It'd be cool to see what CC2 could do with those arcs. Though, I know we won't get them because Bandai doesn't think there's money in doing so.
The complaint is that they keep releasing these extremely similar games for two decades now all with the same story. Sparking 1, 2, 3, Raging Blast 1, 2, Battle of Z, Xeno 1, 2. And even when they try something new, it's pretty bad. No one talks about FighterZ's story. We got an somewhat interesting new character and a new tail fetish out of it. They put so much effort into that turd. I am open for them to try again with an original story. In this case, I'd rather have a turd than nothing.

I give Kararot a break because, for the most part, the story is told really well, even though it missing a lot of key moments, while making the the Buu saga a almost one hour cutscene.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:32 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:01 pm

The complaint is that they keep releasing these extremely similar games for two decades now all with the same story. Sparking 1, 2, 3, Raging Blast 1, 2, Battle of Z, Xeno 1, 2. And even when they try something new, it's pretty bad. No one talks about FighterZ's story. We got an somewhat interesting new character and a new tail fetish out of it. They put so much effort into that turd. I am open for them to try again with an original story. In this case, I'd rather have a turd than nothing.

I give Kararot a break because, for the most part, the story is told really well, even though it missing a lot of key moments, while making the the Buu saga a almost one hour cutscene.
The problem with fighterz story was just how boring it was. It was basically find new character, explain situation, rinse and repeat. Only interesting bits were Android 21 and why is 16 back.

What really shone for me was all the unique character interactions before a fight , but they aren't really a story.on their own.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:24 pm

nato25 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:32 pm
Anonymous Friend wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:01 pm

The problem with fighterz story was just how boring it was. It was basically find new character, explain situation, rinse and repeat. Only interesting bits were Android 21 and why is 16 back.

What really shone for me was all the unique character interactions before a fight , but they aren't really a story.on their own.

Aside from MK11 and maybe SFIV most FG stories aren’t anything to write home about. Unless you do like a tournament story arc or mix time travel into it like they did with MK. The other games have no excuse tho.