"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:55 pm

mute_proxy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:43 am
TobyS wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:10 am But I thought they added Trunks Vs Buu manga style, he was blue haired there in the manga and anime.
The manga and the anime had a 20 year break, weird shit happened.

In the game it's the next chapter of the same campaign, for consistency's sake, no magical hair change.
My head-canon at this point is that Trunks decided to dye his hair or something, do a big lifestyle change, that sorta thing.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

dualist
Regular

Post by dualist » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:16 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:55 pm
TobyS wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:10 am But I thought they added Trunks Vs Buu manga style, he was blue haired there in the manga and anime.

In the game it's the next chapter of the same campaign, for consistency's sake, no magical hair change.
My head-canon at this point is that Trunks decided to dye his hair or something, do a big lifestyle change, that sorta thing.
Lol, mine too!
Playing Xenovoerse on PS4
PSN Tag: Dualist721

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:01 pm

They did, but they just put Kibito's clothes over his already-existing character model, so he kept the purple hair. Which honestly makes more sense than changing his har to blue nonsensically. Also, there's no direct proof he's got blue hair in the manga. The translation I saw was Bulma saying he had the same hair as Kid Trunks, who's always had purple hair as well, especially since manga Bulma's always had purple hair canonically & that was changed int he anime.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:23 pm

Scsigs wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:01 pm Also, there's no direct proof he's got blue hair in the manga.
There's enough direct proof, for instance cover of volume 4
or volume 5

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:04 am

So...is there a good way to get D Medals faster in this new DLC? I need 60 of the damned things to finish off (or at least Kami I hope it's to finish it off...) Trunks' skill tree, and looking for them all around areas is extremely tedious, especially when fights keep interrupting.

I want to say the main game had a way to get them quicker, like I think they were rewards for the baseball and racing minigames or something, right? But neither of those options seem to be available to Trunks in his timeline, so...is it literally only finding them laying around? :crazy: The most frustrating part? I have like 150 of the things unneeded in the main game, but they don't count towards this DLC seems like.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:43 pm

Yeah I know the out of universe history. That's dumb if toriyama says it's blue now it should be blue for the whole time if anything... Oh well I don't have this game so idc I was just curious what they'd do.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:16 pm

^ Toriyama mostly envisions Trunks has having the same hair color with the exact same tint than his mother.
It was like that for years with purple hair for the both of them, and nowadays it's blue for both of them.

There was a short period in which he had switched to blue hair for Bulma (probably getting in line with the anime, whether subconsciously or willingly, although actually using TRUE blue rather than that ugly greenish tint that Toei used for countless years), but had not yet made the switch for Trunks.

But ever since his designs for BOG, he consistently depicted Trunks - both his kid form and his adult form - as having the same blue hair than his mother. It must be logical for him, and Toyotaro took over that way, both for Kid Trunks and Future Trunks.
Even the Full Color Edition of Dragon Ball Super sets both Kid Trunks and Future Trunks has having the same exact blue hair than Bulma.

However, while I prefer the logical update to his looks, I understand why they didn't do that in the game: a lot of people would have deemed weird having him suddenly sporting a new hair color out of the blue between two sagas! Some people might have even thought it was a sudden graphical glitch or something!

Basically, in all media, it often boils down to this: if the content explored is Dragon Ball Z, Future Trunks will have purple hair even if it overlaps on Super events, like his hair design never changed (for example, in his version of the Boo events in Kakarot or in his Dramatic Finish against Zamasu in Fighterz). If the content explored is Dragon Ball Super, Future Trunks will have blue hair even in scenes from Z (for example, the flashback of Gohan's death in DBS).

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:13 am

Cold Skin wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:16 pm ^ Toriyama mostly envisions Trunks has having the same hair color with the exact same tint than his mother.
It was like that for years with purple hair for the both of them, and nowadays it's blue for both of them.

There was a short period in which he had switched to blue hair for Bulma (probably getting in line with the anime, whether subconsciously or willingly, although actually using TRUE blue rather than that ugly greenish tint that Toei used for countless years), but had not yet made the switch for Trunks.

But ever since his designs for BOG, he consistently depicted Trunks - both his kid form and his adult form - as having the same blue hair than his mother. It must be logical for him, and Toyotaro took over that way, both for Kid Trunks and Future Trunks.
Even the Full Color Edition of Dragon Ball Super sets both Kid Trunks and Future Trunks has having the same exact blue hair than Bulma.

However, while I prefer the logical update to his looks, I understand why they didn't do that in the game: a lot of people would have deemed weird having him suddenly sporting a new hair color out of the blue between two sagas! Some people might have even thought it was a sudden graphical glitch or something!

Basically, in all media, it often boils down to this: if the content explored is Dragon Ball Z, Future Trunks will have purple hair even if it overlaps on Super events, like his hair design never changed (for example, in his version of the Boo events in Kakarot or in his Dramatic Finish against Zamasu in Fighterz). If the content explored is Dragon Ball Super, Future Trunks will have blue hair even in scenes from Z (for example, the flashback of Gohan's death in DBS).
It's just a weird approach, why not just switch perma blue all the time forever once and get it over with.

I think blue haired trunks design debuted before kakarot even came out so they had the chance to get it right out of the gate but pandered to z era nostalgia.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:36 am

I was hoping people would be talking about the dlc. But it’s mostly trunks’ hair. Haha thats the internet.
To the question above about d medals. I just looked around. I did not finish the skill tree because it was tedious. But i enjoyed the dlc.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:21 am

TobyS wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:13 am It's just a weird approach, why not just switch perma blue all the time forever once and get it over with.

I think blue haired trunks design debuted before kakarot even came out so they had the chance to get it right out of the gate but pandered to z era nostalgia.
...what? Of course blue-haired Trunks came out before Kakarot came out. His episodes of Super came out over 5 years ago.

Actually, NO, it is NOT right to have Trunks' hair as blue. His canon hair color is purple, as is Bulma's. The only reason they changed it in Super is because, for some reason, they didn't alter Toriyama's character design. Kid Trunks even still has purple hair in Super. If anything they needed to change BULMA'S hair color back to purple like it was originally in the manga & is in the full-color manga releases. It's not a result of "Z-era nostalgia," it's a result of getting it right. Plus, it saves time reusing Trunks' head from his already-existing model rather than recolor his hair just for a DLC & not be able to reuse the already-existing models they have where possible. On top of that, this game is an adaptation just as much as any other game or anime of the various materials of DB available. It's up to the people behind the game to decide how they wanna depict things & they chose to keep his hair as it was already in the game.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:12 pm

^ The "right" color for Trunks' hair is his mother's colors, that's what Toriyama mostly went with.
Toriyama first changed Bulma's hair color to blue in his various drawings years before BOG, perhaps being influenced by the anime (although the anime color was more greenish than bluish).

Then, when the time for designs came with Battle of Gods, he likely naturally thought "and Trunks has - as always - the same hair as his mother". So it was blue too. And he naturally kept it for Future Trunks years later. Toyotaro also logically made Kid Trunks' hair blue on his covers, being faithful to the BOG and Zamasu arc designs and following the mother-son logic. And the Full Color Edition for DBS does make both Trunks' hair blue, just like Bulma's, which is logical.

Logically (or following Toriyama's most prevalent logic through the years), it's either purple for the mother and the two versions of her son, or blue for the mother and the two versions of her son. And currently, it's blue for Toriyama, Toyotaro and Shueisha (at least when illustrating the Super arcs), so it's as valid as the other option.
After all, "it's all purple in Toriyama's vision" has turned into "it's all blue in Toriyama's vision" ever since BOG.
Whether you prefer the original version or the updated one is purely subjective.

There's no specific "purple is canon" because Toriyama himself changed that very same purple for Bulma years ago in his own designs and made it unmistakably and consistently blue ever since, and then he just made other changes accordingly, keeping up with his "Trunks has his mother's hair color" logic that he had all along the 90s and back again since BOG.

But I do understand and agree with the devs' choice in this game to keep it purple in the game for consistency, since it is not two separate products, not even two separate DLCs, it's straight-up the continuation of the very same content. It would have been weird to suddenly see that change on the screen from one minute to the next without any explanation (and there is no in-world explanation to be expected, it's purely design choices). Plus, this is mostly a Z game, people will respond better to their classic vision of characters and some players might even not know about what happens in Super and what the characters look like in there if they stopped watching years ago and bought this game to relive an "old" story from "way back then".

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:54 pm

You know, the only event missing for Trunks is the Tarble OVA. I really would like to know if Trunks gets to meet his uncle. It would be a very nice thing to depict all things considered. Having another relative alive and well would certainly provide him some happiness (even though Dragon Ball characters don't care about relatives).

Like in the present, Tarble should appear after the Majin Buu saga, and finally Trunks has his own Majin Buu saga! Hopefully someday this happens in a sequel to this game or in whatever media they want.

By the way, assuming Tarble was born in, like, AGE 735, and let's say he asks Trunks for help in AGE 794 (that is one year before Goku Black appears), he would be 59. Probably enough period of time passed for us to see his kids with Gure. That would be interesting too.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:30 pm

I have to say I enjoyed Dragon Ball Z Kakarot a lot and it looks like there will be a new update which will allow us to play as Vegito and Gogeta. First the Switch will get the update and then the other platform later on.

All my characters are maximum level 300 in the main game with all their skills unlocked, while in Future Trunks gameplay I have Future Trunks level 250 which is his maximum and all his skills unlocked. Future Gohan I left him as level 50, I don't see any point leveling him up.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:33 am

super michael wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:30 pm I have to say I enjoyed Dragon Ball Z Kakarot a lot and it looks like there will be a new update which will allow us to play as Vegito and Gogeta. First the Switch will get the update and then the other platform later on.

All my characters are maximum level 300 in the main game with all their skills unlocked, while in Future Trunks gameplay I have Future Trunks level 250 which is his maximum and all his skills unlocked. Future Gohan I left him as level 50, I don't see any point leveling him up.
I really hope that update will allow us to play the game in 60FPS on the new consoles. 30 is not that fluid. Either that, or a 9th gen free upgrade version is made with that mode.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:59 pm

Played through most of the 3rd DLC last night. I'm surprised CC2 didn't add in the skipped fights from the Cell Saga. They had a flashback to when Trunks & Vegeta were training in the Time Chamber, but didn't bother to add in the fights with Vegeta, Trunks, & Cell that they skipped over. In a DLC about Trunks where they adapted stuff from the DBS Manga of all things.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:19 pm

Does anyone else think the new Demon Slayer game looks better than Kakarot?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5MlVaSIvhs
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:31 am

I want to know how much they added lore wise in this game ? I don't have the game I have the switch.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:24 pm

Seeing the Trunks DLC was beautiful :shock: I always, always wanted to see what Trunks did after the androids and how he took care of 'Buu'. Beautiful stuff. I overlooked this game.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:33 am

Ok, done with the 3rd DLC.
The DLC's have been hit-or-miss with the BOG one being nothing but a way to get SSG & power grind the characters to the max levels. The RF DLC was good, though, with plenty to do other than grinding. This DLC was really good. I like the focus on Trunks, since he barely had barely any real focus in the main game, with his best moments unfortunately skipped over. I don't get why they didn't adapt them for this DLC. They had the perfect set-up because they showed Trunks having a flashback with Vegeta in the Time Chamber early on when you play as older Trunks back in his time, but no. Wasted potential. Would've made this a 10/10 if they did. But, the rest of what's here is really good. For some reason, 14-year-old Trunks is voiced by Alexis Tipton rather than Eric Vale, but I got used to it after a bit. It adapts the History of Trunks special, then goes into adapting stuff that the Super Manga showed & was also shown in Shin Budokai: Another Road, though this doesn't make it a big thing for the sake of selling a game. I like how it is. It's good character development for Trunks. However, knowing what's coming with Zamasu kinda ruins the good ending it has. It's a good 5 hours worth of additional content. I think it captures what people like about DB & Trunks as a character.
was something I didn't see coming, but I found it interesting. overall, 8/10.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:35 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:19 pm Does anyone else think the new Demon Slayer game looks better than Kakarot?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5MlVaSIvhs
Why does that have any relevance here other than being another CC2 game?