"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Xeogran » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:05 am

DarkPrince_92 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:38 pm I saw the Fusion Update dropped for Switch. Any word on the update for other consoles/PC?
Not so soon because it's a marketing strategy to hype up the Switch version. Probably in November at earliest.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:38 am

The updated has dropped down now for X, PS4 and PC.
Haven't tried it yet, but it is supposed to be some subquests to unlock Gotenks and Vegeto.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:19 am

Have they fixed the difficulty issues when travelling back in time? it was boring to use the time machine and one-shot everybody

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:01 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:19 am Have they fixed the difficulty issues when travelling back in time? it was boring to use the time machine and one-shot everybody
They claim on FB, that they added difficulty option... whatever that means. I hope it's not like Versus in XV2, which has crappy AI to begin with.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:58 pm

There is indeed a new option to choose the difficulty level between Easy, Normal and Hard. The game doesn't feature descriptions about what it changes though, so I guess someone has to test a same battle with all three difficulty levels to find out.
However, it is specified that it is strictly about the difficulty of battles, which means that it won't impact things like the number of orbs that you collect to evolve slower or faster.

People revisiting chapters should therefore be able to increase the difficulty, but I don't think there will be much difference for a level 300 Goku...
People who want to enjoy the game without tough fights should be able to live through the story thanks to the new, welcome "Easy" mode, which will undoubtedly make things more accessible for any player, even those not used to this kind of battles or to games in general.

The new quests unlock the ability to fuse during fights, if you equip said transformation in one of the slots for both fighters involved (if only one fighter has it equiped, the "transformation" is grey and impossible to select) and if both fighters are currently in your team.
Once the fight is over, the warriors will automatically defuse. Free roaming and exploration is therefore impossible for fusions, as they can only be triggered through the "transformations" menu during battles and end with the fight.

The fusion appears as a new ability on the left of the skill tree, unlocked by default, and with no way to improve it beyond level 1.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:03 pm

Oh, well, I guess the fusion thing is ok, we shouldn't be able to stay fused now that we know Potara fusion is temporary.

The difficulty setting... yeah, a level 300 character will stomp the AI at any level. I hope they amp the level limit in the future, if UI is ever a thing, they should.

I also hope for a DLC after the new movie lands.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:49 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:58 pm There is indeed a new option to choose the difficulty level between Easy, Normal and Hard. The game doesn't feature descriptions about what it changes though, so I guess someone has to test a same battle with all three difficulty levels to find out.
However, it is specified that it is strictly about the difficulty of battles, which means that it won't impact things like the number of orbs that you collect to evolve slower or faster.

People revisiting chapters should therefore be able to increase the difficulty, but I don't think there will be much difference for a level 300 Goku...
People who want to enjoy the game without tough fights should be able to live through the story thanks to the new, welcome "Easy" mode, which will undoubtedly make things more accessible for any player, even those not used to this kind of battles or to games in general.

The new quests unlock the ability to fuse during fights, if you equip said transformation in one of the slots for both fighters involved (if only one fighter has it equiped, the "transformation" is grey and impossible to select) and if both fighters are currently in your team.
Once the fight is over, the warriors will automatically defuse. Free roaming and exploration is therefore impossible for fusions, as they can only be triggered through the "transformations" menu during battles and end with the fight.

The fusion appears as a new ability on the left of the skill tree, unlocked by default, and with no way to improve it beyond level 1.
I just found out about the update and was just thinking about having to level both characters and such. Guess I don't have to, but that probably also means no customizing them either.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:49 am

I really wish they put 60FPS for consoles in the patch. I hate the game being stuck at 30. Also, a proper NG+ mode, not that stupid replaying chapters shit.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:51 pm

Finally got around to playing this game. What a shame. I'm enjoying my time but can't shake the feeling that if this was given AAA treatment it'd be something really special. Even a sequel would improve on a lot of things. This game feels made for the Switch, too.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:27 am

Yuji wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:51 pm Finally got around to playing this game. What a shame. I'm enjoying my time but can't shake the feeling that if this was given AAA treatment it'd be something really special. Even a sequel would improve on a lot of things. This game feels made for the Switch, too.
I have enjoyed the story parts, that was obviously given the most treatment, but the side missions were poorly handled.
All you fight are Saibaimen, Freeza Army or flying mash-up of pirate robots and pick up various glowing orbs with sky populated by Z-orbs.
This could haven been something more like DB Online with the MMORPG cheap mechanic of orbs being switched to actual items and animations. So besides the poor design and weird change of Freeza army to just differently colored human races with Appules, the side missions are basically this, with different texts.

I really liked the idea of intermissions inbetween the sagas, but when it is filled up with basically these same missions like during the story parts, it makes they playthrough really boring and lackluster. But, I had my fun with it and it was cool to have somewhat a Legacy Of Goku for the whole Z series plus some bonuses and I really missed the Z Epilogue at the end! Since DB Super started, they are omitting this part probably because the characters have changed designs and do not look as their most famous Z selves.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:15 pm

For a first attempt, DBZK it's awesome, the story parts are amazing, the Cell arc could've received a better treatment, several fights were skipped, but man, the deserted Ginger Town with the clothes laying around.... anyway, yeah, the sidequests could've been much better.

A second try at this type of game should definitely solve the issues on this one.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:26 am

I like the sidequests. Some of them are inane but there are a lot that are worth it just to see the characters interact with characters we haven't seen in a long time. Seeing Goku interact with the characters from the original Dragon Ball, Trunks meeting 17, Goku trying to uphold his promise to the Elder Kaioshin, etc, all of that are fun interactions.

People also say the world feels empty but I don't think so. Movement in itself is fun and there are always sidequests to do. Maybe there could be more secret dungeons, perhaps. If the world areas weren't locked out by progression, it could be neat to find Gero's hideout before the story event, maybe dive underwater and find the pirate hideout from the RRA arc. A lot of filler content could be used for secret areas, too. If they bothered to include the driving episode, they could include all the rest.

In a sequel, ideally I would just like the world to be interconnected rather than segmented and to allow us to change our wardrobe. If not in the main story, then at least in the post-game. A lot of mechanics feel half-baked so they should work more on improving some of them. The game could also take some cues from Dragon Ball Online in order to make the world more engaging and the original content more immersive. If these things are done right, it would be the best Dragon Ball game for me.

I really hope CC2 tries a sequel either with Super or the original Dragon Ball storyline. Actually, GT would be great, as it would allow for the DBZ-type movement and power of this game with an emphasis on exploration by hopping through different planets.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:16 pm

Yuji wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:26 am
People also say the world feels empty but I don't think so. Movement in itself is fun and there are always sidequests to do. Maybe there could be more secret dungeons, perhaps. If the world areas weren't locked out by progression, it could be neat to find Gero's hideout before the story event, maybe dive underwater and find the pirate hideout from the RRA arc. A lot of filler content could be used for secret areas, too. If they bothered to include the driving episode, they could include all the rest.

And you just explained why the open world feels empty, there's nothing to do in it besides farm for materials.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:57 am

Anonymous Friend wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:16 pm
Yuji wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:26 am

And you just explained why the open world feels empty, there's nothing to do in it besides farm for materials.
There are multiple sidequests to do at every point in the game and the movement is fun enough that you'll want to explore and come across the characters who are always in the same area as you with different dialog doing something different. There could be more secrets and more NPCs, perhaps something else to do with the animals and materials as well, but it has a solid enough base to feel engaging.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:14 pm

Still haven't bit on this one yet, the difficulty toggle drop may have made that advantageous. I'll be curious for the comparisons if they are not up already.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Captain-Sora
Regular

Post by Captain-Sora » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:11 am

Yuji wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:57 amThere are multiple sidequests to do at every point in the game and the movement is fun enough that you'll want to explore and come across the characters who are always in the same area as you with different dialog doing something different. There could be more secrets and more NPCs, perhaps something else to do with the animals and materials as well, but it has a solid enough base to feel engaging.
Speaking as someone who was lukewarm over the game as a whole, I did appreciate the hefty amount of humorous NPC interactions from both familiar characters and nameless townspeople that was to be found across all the zones. They did far more than expected with them, updating their dialogue after each major event and arc change, giving a sense of progression to the world as the years go by. They even capitalized on those timeskips here and there, like having that one guy (who I believe was located at the lighthouse near West City) starts off looking for a girlfriend, finding one by the Cell arc, and then having a family by the Boo arc.

Had the game's combat and boss design been handled better, as well as side-quests offering more interesting tasks (although, the fact they all had entertaining stories attached to them is another thing I did appreciate and helped made them rewarding, especially when there was some continuity between some), I would've been pretty happy with the game.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:19 am

Confirmed that Kakarot has sold 4.5 million copies. I'm happy to see that the game was a big hit, even though it's single player / story-focused (which naturally makes its lifespan much smaller than games like XV2 and FighterZ that constantly get new updates). I really hope this means a sequel covering Super or even the original DB can happen.

There is plenty of room for improvement and I believe that after this confirmation of the success of the game, Bandai will not hold back on resources and budget for the next game, giving a much better treatment to a possible Kakarot 2. There's a lot of potential with the open world / customization / RPG mechanics model. The possibility of more content for the original game this year was also hinted in the DB weekly news released in the official website but it remains to be seen what it will be (it could be a new DLC)

Ultimate_Nova_X
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ultimate_Nova_X » Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:01 pm

I really like this game.

But I've basically completed everything there is to do.

I assume there'll be no more updates?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:12 pm

I really wish this game would either get a 60FPS patch for the new consoles, or a next gen port that ups the visual quality, cuts down on load times, & ups the frame rate with all the DLCs baked in. Maybe with a proper NG+ in it. It'd be great, imo.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:32 am

That’s Good news! I wonder why people say this game sucked is it because it’s retread of Z again?