"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Game Project Z Action RPG" Announced.

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:32 pm

Kanassa wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: The best way to say it is Breath of the Wild: DBZ Edition.

A 100% open world where the only loaindsg screens you must go through are ones when you go from Earth to Namek or from Namek to Otherworld. The combat would be hack-and-slash.

I really hope its 100% open world and not semi-open world where is just multiple zones, each with the ability to free roam.

I want to be able to explore Mt Poazu, travel to West City in real time, and explore West City when i get there.

Not explore Mt Poazu, then have to go through a loading screen or go to an Overworld, and then load into West City to explore it.
I dunno, I feel like a Dragon Ball game attempting full on open world will just run into the 'LOOK AT ALL THAT EMPTY/GENERIC SPACE YOU CAN IGNORE!' problem
Idk about that one chief.

But worst case scenario, just shorten the space between each landmark/point of interest/area on the map so that you can avoid less empty space. And fill some empty space with bandits and roaming dinosaurs. Heck, maybe have game-original secret caves for secret missions.

Tbh, I’d say the world is the most important part of this game followed by its combat and then its story.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:43 pm

Kanassa wrote:I dunno, I feel like a Dragon Ball game attempting full on open world will just run into the 'LOOK AT ALL THAT EMPTY/GENERIC SPACE YOU CAN IGNORE!' problem
Well, it's not like every place should have population/buildings. Also, even with "empty space you can ignore" I never got bored flying (or riding motorcycle) long distances in Dragon Ball Online. On the contrary, I actually got happy when I found some Mr Satan's billboards about his movies. It can distract you for a short time, depending on how immersive you are to the game. There were probably more things to uncover and others that would make it to the game if only...
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:52 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: I dunno, I feel like a Dragon Ball game attempting full on open world will just run into the 'LOOK AT ALL THAT EMPTY/GENERIC SPACE YOU CAN IGNORE!' problem

But worst case scenario, just shorten the space between each landmark/point of interest/area on the map so that you can avoid less empty space. And fill some empty space with bandits and roaming dinosaurs. Heck, maybe have game-original secret caves for secret missions.

Tbh, I’d say the world is the most important part of this game followed by its combat and then its story.[/quote]
Yes, Dragon Ball has plenty of landmarks to use, but will the game be able to use them well? Having a large and beautiful looking area is meaningless if there's little things of worth in it, which is a trouble many, many open world games face (Dragon Age Inquisition for example). I'm especially worried about Namek "EVERYTHING ON THIS PLANET LOOKS THE FUCKING SAME!"

Though I could be biased, I prefer semi-open world games since they allow you a good feeling of freedom while also streamlining the content together enough that the areas don't feel pointless.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:20 am

I'll probably enjoy this game. I've played enough fighting games. I want something like an adventure game with quests and stuff and strategy. DB Heroes and Xenoverse is not my style.
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:33 pm

Kanassa wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: I dunno, I feel like a Dragon Ball game attempting full on open world will just run into the 'LOOK AT ALL THAT EMPTY/GENERIC SPACE YOU CAN IGNORE!' problem

Tbh, I’d say the world is the most important part of this game followed by its combat and then its story.
Yes, Dragon Ball has plenty of landmarks to use, but will the game be able to use them well? Having a large and beautiful looking area is meaningless if there's little things of worth in it, which is a trouble many, many open world games face (Dragon Age Inquisition for example). I'm especially worried about Namek "EVERYTHING ON THIS PLANET LOOKS THE FUCKING SAME!"

Though I could be biased, I prefer semi-open world games since they allow you a good feeling of freedom while also streamlining the content together enough that the areas don't feel pointless.[/quote]
Well, for Namek, i dont really expect us to get a map as large as the earth map. Just a small section that contains the places where events from the story took place.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:34 pm

I hope this is gonna be a genuine open world game and not like CynerConnect2's Naruto games where they're just....open corridors.

Son Dragon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Son Dragon » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:50 pm

Seeing the beginning of the trailer, I think there's going to be a versus mode. Goku and Piccolo clash's seems out of place but really feels like the sort of mechanic CC2 had in the Naruto Storm Games.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:05 pm

Son Dragon wrote:Seeing the beginning of the trailer, I think there's going to be a versus mode. Goku and Piccolo clash's seems out of place but really feels like the sort of mechanic CC2 had in the Naruto Storm Games.
Eh. Pretty sure its just a cutscene like the rest of the cutscenes we see in the trailer. I don’t think this game will have a versus mode. Or at least not the kind you get in 3d arena brawlers like the Storm games or Xenoverse games.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:55 pm

I see people wanting DBS in open world adventure game or just action RPG whatever it turns out to be, but this series has no potential for game other than fighting game like FighterZ, seriously.
People compare this project to hypothetical Legacy of Goku and i see many people saying they'd like to see Legacy of Goku 4 with DBS plot.
I wonder how many of them have sit down for a minute and tried to imagine this game working?

All DBS sagas takes place in single location with almost no potential for exploration and non-boss enemies:
-Entire BoG arc takes place on ship with only single enemy.
-RoF saga could kinda work if modified with Frieza soldiers attacking various locations instead of being wiped out in 2 minutes.
-U6 vs U7 - just tournament
-Goku Black saga - basically move to future, fight with main villain, get beaten, return to present and repeat entire process 10 times. Zamasu works alone which eliminates any possible non-boss threats.
-ToP - just tournament

I can't see this working in game that has any kind of exploration and grinding. The only possibility would be completely new plot taking place in another universe for example.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:53 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:I see people wanting DBS in open world adventure game or just action RPG whatever it turns out to be, but this series has no potential for game other than fighting game like FighterZ, seriously.
People compare this project to hypothetical Legacy of Goku and i see many people saying they'd like to see Legacy of Goku 4 with DBS plot.
I wonder how many of them have sit down for a minute and tried to imagine this game working?

All DBS sagas takes place in single location with almost no potential for exploration and non-boss enemies:
-RoF saga could kinda work if modified with Frieza soldiers attacking various locations instead of being wiped out in 2 minutes.
-Goku Black saga - basically move to future, fight with main villain, get beaten, return to present and repeat entire process 10 times. Zamasu works alone which eliminates any possible non-boss threats.
-ToP - just tournament

I can't see this working in game that has any kind of exploration and grinding. The only possibility would be completely new plot taking place in another universe for example.

Dragon Ball games in the passed have found ways to expand events. Best example I can think of was in one of the game boy ones were Goku gets to travel around namek after touch down. That said a lot of the time the games had a lot of wiggle room to work with.

Super dosen't have that as most of it's event are contained. That said there ware ways you could do it.

Beerus Arc: Alter events so that you have to keep Beerus happy. So you have quests to get food for Beerus and hijicks insue.

Mide way idea: Training with Whis and Beerus.

F arc: You pretty much nailed it.

Champa Arc: Training with Beerus and Whis again, a quest to try and find the last Super Dragon Ball, then the tournament.

Goku Black Arc: Pretty hard to pad this one out, maybe some training quests or quests to help survivors in the future. The best part would be expaning on Black's Clone ability and make them enemies, however that pretty late in the game. Future Zamasu is immortal however so you could beat him up a lot of times without breaking the story.

ToP: Well just intergrate the team building section for quests and have the ToP just be an endurance battles or you travel around ring getting into fights and help your team mates as quests.

Your going to need ot alter stuff and stretch some stuff out but it could be done.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:38 pm

Lord Frieza wrote: Dragon Ball games in the passed have found ways to expand events. Best example I can think of was in one of the game boy ones were Goku gets to travel around namek after touch down. That said a lot of the time the games had a lot of wiggle room to work with.

Super dosen't have that as most of it's event are contained. That said there ware ways you could do it.

Beerus Arc: Alter events so that you have to keep Beerus happy. So you have quests to get food for Beerus and hijicks insue.

Champa Arc: Training with Beerus and Whis again, a quest to try and find the last Super Dragon Ball, then the tournament.

Goku Black Arc: Pretty hard to pad this one out, maybe some training quests or quests to help survivors in the future. The best part would be expaning on Black's Clone ability and make them enemies, however that pretty late in the game. Future Zamasu is immortal however so you could beat him up a lot of times without breaking the story.

ToP: Well just intergrate the team building section for quests and have the ToP just be an endurance battles or you travel around ring getting into fights and help your team mates as quests.

Your going to need ot alter stuff and stretch some stuff out but it could be done.
Some of these could make experience longer but it still wouldn't be enough and it would mostly be just series of battles.

What would you do during search for Super Dragon Ball tho? They are not on planets, they are huge and planet-sized, so you'd expect a space shooter here?

Fighting Black's clones alone would be boring with no variety of opponents + they already look like main villain. I would rather see it as sub-boss, a group of clones. There is really no one else to fight unless you want to fight survivors who think you are Black but that would be really dumb and would force you to actually harm innocent lol.

ToP would be the worst case since it has many opponents. Unless they reduced it to only the most relevant ones, for example Ribrianne, Caulifla/Kale, Dyspo, Toppo and Jiren. In previous LoG titles for example, you could always grind before main fight. But here, there is nothing to grind. You can't just leave tournament before fighting Jiren and teleport to Earth to increase your level and get back.

If Super was what many people thought it will be during it early days, i mean Goku and Vegeta actually visiting other universe, then there would perhaps be a lot more potential. But with what Super is about, there isn't really much to do between main fights. Perhaps ToP gathering would be best here (unlike tournament itself) since every character could give you a bit complicated quest to do before being recruited + boss fight against everyone.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:25 pm

So is this going to be Dragon Ball Z: Sagas, but done right?

Also, I really hope the game goes past the Freeza Saga.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:59 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:I see people wanting DBS in open world adventure game or just action RPG whatever it turns out to be, but this series has no potential for game other than fighting game like FighterZ, seriously.

-ToP - just tournament

Yeah, i always saw this as a problem too. For a show thats done the most world building out of any DB series, it really lacks in exploration. But naturally, i still want DBS. I’d honestly rather have this game be successful and the sequel be DBS because whether it has exploration or not, its the new hot series and is the next series in the line of db series as its after DBZ.

OR, have the sequel be an original story that takes place after DBS. So it can be original, but have characters that have appeared in DBS before and places that have appeared in DBS too. So we get DBS content, a fresh new story, and exploration. Preferably the original story has an original character like Shallot and not just a Cac.

Either way, we need DBS involvement at some point.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:03 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:
Lord Frieza wrote: Dragon Ball games in the passed have found ways to expand events. Best example I can think of was in one of the game boy ones were Goku gets to travel around namek after touch down. That said a lot of the time the games had a lot of wiggle room to work with.

Some of these could make experience longer but it still wouldn't be enough and it would mostly be just series of battles.

What would you do during search for Super Dragon Ball tho? They are not on planets, they are huge and planet-sized, so you'd expect a space shooter here?

Fighting Black's clones alone would be boring with no variety of opponents + they already look like main villain. I would rather see it as sub-boss, a group of clones. There is really no one else to fight unless you want to fight survivors who think you are Black but that would be really dumb and would force you to actually harm innocent lol.

ToP would be the worst case since it has many opponents. Unless they reduced it to only the most relevant ones, for example Ribrianne, Caulifla/Kale, Dyspo, Toppo and Jiren. In previous LoG titles for example, you could always grind before main fight. But here, there is nothing to grind. You can't just leave tournament before fighting Jiren and teleport to Earth to increase your level and get back.
Well... you kinda can. I mean, games have done stuff like this before.

You’re in a boss battle and you die, before you enter the boss battle again, go and grind. So in the T.o.P, if you die or lose a mission, you can decide not to start it again and instead grind.

As for the T.o.P, you can also have side missions for Trunks and Goten fighting in 17’s island. Maybe against Cell Jrs and poachers.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:08 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote:

Well... you kinda can. I mean, games have done stuff like this before.

You’re in a boss battle and you die, before you enter the boss battle again, go and grind. So in the T.o.P, if you die or lose a mission, you can decide not to start it again and instead grind.

As for the T.o.P, you can also have side missions for Trunks and Goten fighting in 17’s island. Maybe against Cell Jrs and poachers.
With TOP, I actually think you have the most room since you have a large roster of foes to defeat leading up to Jiren on a Tournament Stage that's supposed to be pretty fucking big. When the stage gets torn up, you can easily have that to create a well structured hub of sorts, where each universe has their own area. So, you have a level dedicated to each Universe with their own mechanics, leading up to Universe 11. With the space and the universes having their own gimmicks, you really do have room to naturally fit gameplay contraints in there, especially since a lot can be justified with 'The Zenos think this aspect would be fun'

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:09 am

Kanassa wrote: With TOP, I actually think you have the most room since you have a large roster of foes to defeat leading up to Jiren on a Tournament Stage that's supposed to be pretty fucking big. When the stage gets torn up, you can easily have that to create a well structured hub of sorts, where each universe has their own area. So, you have a level dedicated to each Universe with their own mechanics, leading up to Universe 11. With the space and the universes having their own gimmicks, you really do have room to naturally fit gameplay contraints in there, especially since a lot can be justified with 'The Zenos think this aspect would be fun'
Except that every enemy would have to be unique and appear once. There is still no place for unilimited grinding. Unless you'd want to let player fight the same universes multiple times and just explain that as "beating them" rather than throwing out of arena but that would still be kinda dumb.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:21 am

sunsetshimmer wrote:
Kanassa wrote: With TOP, I actually think you have the most room since you have a large roster of foes to defeat leading up to Jiren on a Tournament Stage that's supposed to be pretty fucking big. When the stage gets torn up, you can easily have that to create a well structured hub of sorts, where each universe has their own area. So, you have a level dedicated to each Universe with their own mechanics, leading up to Universe 11. With the space and the universes having their own gimmicks, you really do have room to naturally fit gameplay contraints in there, especially since a lot can be justified with 'The Zenos think this aspect would be fun'
Except that every enemy would have to be unique and appear once. There is still no place for unilimited grinding. Unless you'd want to let player fight the same universes multiple times and just explain that as "beating them" rather than throwing out of arena but that would still be kinda dumb.
especially since a lot can be justified with 'The Zenos think this aspect would be fun'
Zeno's just throw in random grunts in to make sure the competition doesn't end too soon.

Kanassa wrote:

Lek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lek » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:16 am

I'm with Kanassa on this. There's a lot of opportunity for new side quests in a Dragon Ball RPG. Just like the Legacy of Goku games, where most of the stuff was made up "filler" for the game. You can still follow the main plot, but what happens on the way or between the events is up to the imagination of the developers.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:23 pm

Unfortunately, it looks like there will be no info in this month's V-Jump.
News about Legends & Dokkan have appeared, but not Project Z.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:51 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:Unfortunately, it looks like there will be no info in this month's V-Jump.
News about Legends & Dokkan have appeared, but not Project Z.
It's the 18th, chill.

Kanassa wrote: