"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:33 am

I really hope that Bandai Namco & CyberConnect2 will give this game a patch to run at 60fps on Series X & PS5 at some point.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:37 am

Trailer for DLC 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqyTl7_J6Mk

This adapts RF and then some, unlike the first DLC which was just training, which is a shame as they could've done plenty with BOG.

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:51 pm

Honestly, I'm rather... pleasantly surprised to see Goten, Trunks, Yamcha, AND Chiaotzu will apparently be involved in fighting Freeza's mooks here unlike other adaptations of R.F.

Yeah, I know Goten and Trunks showed up in Super, but I don't really feel like counting that time, considering they pretty much amounted to a joke for that one.

Kakkaroto735
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakkaroto735 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:36 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:38 pm
Kakkaroto735 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:20 pm I would actually love if they did OG Dragon Ball like Z Kakarot.
I've said this before, but OG DB would make more sense as an rpg because a large part of early DB is structured like a role-playing game. That's the thing that breaks for me whenever I play Kakarrot: It's bewildering to be playing as characters who can straight up blow up the planet at any given time, and yet I'm stuck fighting another group of robots.
Vehicles would also actually be necessary, other than Goku everyone else needs transportation. That would actually be a key part of the game.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:38 am

wow, they really be out there skipping Sorbet, Tagoma and Shisami :?
This DLC feels rather lackluster, using mostly existing assets of characters who already were in the game before.

And not including Jaco is a SIN :evil:

Except for the last cutscene of Goku defeating Frieza which was rather cool, the entire thing felt rushed..

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:53 am

Xeogran wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:38 amThis DLC feels rather lackluster, using mostly existing assets of characters who already were in the game before.
Considering what came before it, I'm surprised they gave us as much as they did, as I thought It'd just be random training for Blue with a simple battle with Freeza at the end. I agree it's not perfect, but it's a step in the right direction. Hopefully we find out what the 3rd DLC will be at Jump Festa this December.

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:46 pm

Other than having an actual story this time, the bulk of content isn't too far off from what DLC 1 provides. Again, it's good for what it is -- we were promised engaging bosses for the first two releases (the third will be a fleshed-out story arc, whatever that might be) and we got 'em. Golden Freeza is fun. SSGSS is more enjoyable to play around with than I thought.

I'm not even remotely impressed by all the reused character models, but at least Gohan fans can take solace in the fact that this version of Res 'F' features Ultimate Gohan... I guess. I'm more peeved about Jaco not making an appearance since he was such a charming aspect of the original film.

And yeah, there's only one memorable subquest here.
Formerly Marlowe89.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:12 pm

The Undying wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:46 pmThe third will be a fleshed-out story arc, whatever that might be
I think hackers found files that indicate it'll be the Future Trunks arc.

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:28 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:12 pm I think hackers found files that indicate it'll be the Future Trunks arc.
Yeah, I remember that. Something about a website listing "Future Trunks Arc: Hope!!" as the final part, which probably alludes to the arc in Super?

Personally I'd rather have a completely unique story with something like Ultra Instinct to sell it, but maybe that's asking for too much. I'm partial to the manga's version of the Future Trunks arc, but the anime's version seems better suited to a video game adaptation. Looking forward to it either way.
Formerly Marlowe89.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:04 pm

What exactly were we waiting for? This was almost as underwhelming as the first DLC.

Has CC2 lost their luster or are their spirits just not into it?
Last edited by IntangibleFancy on Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:09 pm

The Future Trunks arc would transition perfectly into a story arc for Kakarot, it seems like an obvious candidate for next DLC:

- Several major, enormous battles to put into the game (Fused Zamasu vs. Vegito and Future Trunks is an obvious one), especially since they went back and forth in time thrice;
- The villain has an extremely varied kit of abilities, leading to interesting boss fights (I'm interested to see how they'll handle Zamasu's immortality as a game mechanic);
- New, captivating battles stages: The Sacred Kai World of U10 (where Zamasu and Goku first fight), and then obviously the ruined Future city (meanwhile the tournament arcs would take place in the same boring ring);
- Marketing-wise it's just way more appealing than the U6 arc. Villainous Goku, Villainous Supreme Kai, and Future Trunks sell games much more than Hit and his boring friends. Having Zamasu and Future Trunks as the poster boys of the new DLC would get way more people to play this game.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:49 pm

If indeed this game follows the manga, then perhaps we'll get a manga FT arc??

the anime had this:
-SS3 Goku vs SS2 Trunks (or Vegeta vs Trunks)
-SS2 Goku vs Zamasu
-SS2 Goku vs Black
-Vegeta Blue vs Black Rose
-Goku Blue vs Black Rose and Trunks vs Zamasu
(rinse and repeat)
-Rage Trunks vs Black Rose
-saiyans vs Merged Zamasu
-Vegito vs Zamasu
-Trunks vs Zamasu
-Zeno

the manga:
- SS3 Goku vs SS2 Trunks
- Vegeta Blue vs SS Black
- Godku vs Zamasu
- Vegeta's switch vs Black Rose
- blue saiyans vs Merged Zamasu
- Vegito Blue vs Zamasu
- Perfect Blue vs Zamasu
- Zeno

The anime has more fighting going on and involves Trunks, but the manga'd allow the player to use the god and blue forms introduced in previous DLCs. No Trunks though.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:50 pm

I forgot about the thing with Mira. How do I play that?

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:01 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:49 pm If indeed this game follows the manga, then perhaps we'll get a manga FT arc??

the anime had this:
-SS3 Goku vs SS2 Trunks (or Vegeta vs Trunks)
-SS2 Goku vs Zamasu
-SS2 Goku vs Black
-Vegeta Blue vs Black Rose
-Goku Blue vs Black Rose and Trunks vs Zamasu
(rinse and repeat)
-Rage Trunks vs Black Rose
-saiyans vs Merged Zamasu
-Vegito vs Zamasu
-Trunks vs Zamasu
-Zeno

the manga:
- SS3 Goku vs SS2 Trunks
- Vegeta Blue vs SS Black
- Godku vs Zamasu
- Vegeta's switch vs Black Rose
- blue saiyans vs Merged Zamasu
- Vegito Blue vs Zamasu
- Perfect Blue vs Zamasu
- Zeno

The anime has more fighting going on and involves Trunks, but the manga'd allow the player to use the god and blue forms introduced in previous DLCs. No Trunks though.
Ideally they would just combine elements from both the anime and manga, because ultimately they are the same story. So for example you can incorporate Red Vegeta fighting vs. Goku Black with the scythe, or likewise Fused Zamasu, on top of his anime arsenal, could use the portals and katchin blocks that he had in the manga.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:48 pm

Remember there was a Broly mention in the files, I think he may be a secret boss in DLC3 even if it won't be about him. Now which one, hard to say.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:08 pm

Xeogran wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:38 am wow, they really be out there skipping Sorbet, Tagoma and Shisami :?
This DLC feels rather lackluster, using mostly existing assets of characters who already were in the game before.

And not including Jaco is a SIN :evil:

Except for the last cutscene of Goku defeating Frieza which was rather cool, the entire thing felt rushed..
As stated by the game's producer in a playstation blog article, the DLC is not supposed to recreate the film. Despite being built upon the setting of the film, it has an original story to match the events of the base game (the Ginyu force, Zarbon / Dodoria and Freeza himself are revived through sidequests in the base game). The way the story unfolds is also quite different (with Vegeta fighting first, for example). The main objective is to create battle scenarios instead of faithfully retelling the story.

I don't think this DLC was amazing or anything, but definitely better than the first one. The part of the story was better, SSB is great, the horde battles are cool, and luckily it is possible to face both Freeza and Beerus at level 300 (level cap now) and repeat these fights

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:16 pm

Anyone have any idea what would be the best way to grind up to Lv. 300 now that that's the new cap? I'm not sure if fighting Golden Frieza's second level of training (I'm definitely not ready for his final Lv. 300 one yet), or doing one of the later hoard battle options, would be better.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:21 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:01 pm Ideally they would just combine elements from both the anime and manga, because ultimately they are the same story. So for example you can incorporate Red Vegeta fighting vs. Goku Black with the scythe, or likewise Fused Zamasu, on top of his anime arsenal, could use the portals and katchin blocks that he had in the manga.
I mean, it's hardly a straight manga adaptation in the first place, considering it adapts some of the anime's filler as side quests & stuff like that, on top of doing its own things with the story at points.
Xeogran wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:48 pm Remember there was a Broly mention in the files, I think he may be a secret boss in DLC3 even if it won't be about him. Now which one, hard to say.
Most likely the new, canon one. But, since there's the fact that Mira & Towa exist, it could lead to both.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:39 am

Mira and Towa have nothing to do with Brolys, though. I don't think they would use those characters to bring Broly too. Their role was probably just that, a cameo.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:57 pm

Xeogran wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:48 pm Remember there was a Broly mention in the files, I think he may be a secret boss in DLC3 even if it won't be about him. Now which one, hard to say.
As far as I know, nothing hints at Broly. Dataminers found "If only we could use the Dragon Balls to take Broly down..." in the text files, but it just turned out to be one of the collectible cards in the game.
Formerly Marlowe89.