"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Game Project Z Action RPG" Announced.

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:11 am

This game should be very story driven, games like these tend to not have PvP so longevity of this game is coming from its exploration and in world quests and story mode. So the story mode should be very long. Loads of cutscenes, put every battle from the OG DBZ you can into this game. As for exploration, fit every area you can into the game.

The earth map alone should encompass all of this:
And there should be Namek, Otherworld, Snakeway, King Kai’s planet, Supreme Kais World, and Trunks’s Future.

Luckily, the game would have been developed for 4 years by the time it drops in 2020 (assuming CC2 is the dev and it drops early 2020). And if CC2 really are the devs, hopefully the people who were working on the Final Fantasy VII Remake Arpg have moved to help work on the DB ARPG since Square Enix took the Final Fantasy game away from CC2.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:59 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:This game should be very story driven, games like these tend to not have PvP so longevity of this game is coming from its exploration and in world quests and story mode. So the story mode should be very long. Loads of cutscenes, put every battle from the OG DBZ you can into this game. As for exploration, fit every area you can into the game.

And there should be Namek, Otherworld, Snakeway, King Kai’s planet, Supreme Kais World, and Trunks’s Future.

Luckily, the game would have been developed for 4 years by the time it drops in 2020 (assuming CC2 is the dev and it drops early 2020). And if CC2 really are the devs, hopefully the people who were working on the Final Fantasy VII Remake Arpg have moved to help work on the DB ARPG since Square Enix took the Final Fantasy game away from CC2.
It's a shame they don't start with the DB portion.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:01 pm

sangofe wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:This game should be very story driven, games like these tend to not have PvP so longevity of this game is coming from its exploration and in world quests and story mode. So the story mode should be very long. Loads of cutscenes, put every battle from the OG DBZ you can into this game. As for exploration, fit every area you can into the game.

I'm starting to suspect it'll be a remake of the Legacy fo Goku Trilogy
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:22 pm

Kanassa wrote:
sangofe wrote:

I'm starting to suspect it'll be a remake of the Legacy fo Goku Trilogy
But why? I dont see how a this game being a dbz action rpg means its a remake of another game that happens to be a dbz rpg.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:57 pm

Finally a game with proper looking Story Mode.

I've been saying this all along, but we really needed one that covers entirety of Z and is well-done. Budokai Tenkaichi (2 in particular) only had a few "special cut-scenes", but most of them were characters just talking with default breath animation. Same with most of the other old-school 3D games.
Only Budokai 1 had a story mode that truly felt lively, but sadly it ended at Cell Saga.

Now with this, we hopefully can adapt Buu Saga in full fledged 3D, with some great looking cutscenes and gameplay.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:56 pm

Id always said id like the story immortalised over a few gsmes but it really goes hard on it. Like one game focuses soley on dragon ball. Then you get a saiyan saga frieza saga game, the old characters from the first are mostly there for battle mode.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:30 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Guess this is confirmation the game is starting at Raditz?
Those models look like something CC2 would make.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:26 pm

Sora Saiyan wrote:
Models? I'm ... fairly positive those are sketches.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:34 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:
Sora Saiyan wrote:
Naa. Look at the fingers. They seem much more like 3d models than a 2d sketch. Also the wrinkles in the pants dont look sketched.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:19 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: Luckily, the game would have been developed for 4 years by the time it drops in 2020 (assuming CC2 is the dev and it drops early 2020). And if CC2 really are the devs, hopefully the people who were working on the Final Fantasy VII Remake Arpg have moved to help work on the DB ARPG since Square Enix took the Final Fantasy game away from CC2.
I think they could have the game come out in Holiday 2019 since Namco Bandai needs a major DB title every year. I know we get get one in 2012, 2013 and 2017, but I think 2019 is still likely.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:29 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: Luckily, the game would have been developed for 4 years by the time it drops in 2020 (assuming CC2 is the dev and it drops early 2020). And if CC2 really are the devs, hopefully the people who were working on the Final Fantasy VII Remake Arpg have moved to help work on the DB ARPG since Square Enix took the Final Fantasy game away from CC2.
I think they could have the game come out in Holiday 2019 since Namco Bandai needs a major DB title every year. I know we get get one in 2012, 2013 and 2017, but I think 2019 is still likely.
Bandai Namco goes by fiscal (business) years, not regular years. A Bandai Namco fiscal year is from April 1st to March 31st of the following year.

The 2012 game was Ultimate Tenkaichi since it came out in fiscal 2012. Dragon Ball Z for Kinect and Dragon Ball Z Budokai Collection are both fiscal 2013 games. XV2 was a fiscal 2017 game.

Anyhow, I'm not even sure the “one db game a year” contract thing is even legit. I can’t find a single piece of official proof supporting that the contract or deal even exists.

Anyhow, DBFighterZ for Switch counts as a fiscal 2019 db game. As for Project Z, i think it will come out in real life 2020 AND will be a fiscal 2020 game. I’m guess sometime in March 2020. Janurary 2020 the earliest.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:03 am

So the game may end up being semi-open world rather than open world.

Semi-open world games are games that, rather than being able to explore an area and then travel from that area to another with no loading screen in real time, you can explore the area but you must go through a loading screen to end up in the next area which you would than explore. So rather than one big world of exploration, its more like multiple somewhat big areas of exploration.

Another idea is that its semi-open world where you can explore and area, but to travel to another area, you would need to leave the first area, load into an overworld (basically when you’re above the ground and can fly from place to play like in Budokai 3: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... eOverworld), fly to the area you want to explore next, load into that area, and explore it.

I’d prefer the game is just a fully open world game but if it is a semi-open world game, id like the second option the most and would hope each area is really big and has loads of room to explore.

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:24 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:So the game may end up being semi-open world rather than open world.

Semi-open world games are games that, rather than being able to explore an area and then travel from that area to another with no loading screen in real time, you can explore the area but you must go through a loading screen to end up in the next area which you would than explore. So rather than one big world of exploration, its more like multiple somewhat big areas of exploration.

Another idea is that its semi-open world where you can explore and area, but to travel to another area, you would need to leave the first area, load into an overworld (basically when you’re above the ground and can fly from place to play like in Budokai 3: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... eOverworld), fly to the area you want to explore next, load into that area, and explore it.

I’d prefer the game is just a fully open world game but if it is a semi-open world game, id like the second option the most and would hope each area is really big and has loads of room to explore.
How do you know it might be Semi-Open world if you don’t mind me asking ?
Bring Back Budokai:https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/ ... it-2#intro
Tyestor wrote:How many dicks do I have to suck to get Dimps to make another 3D Budokai-esque game again? My patience is seriously starting to wear thin with these new DB games.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:41 am

The game has been described for being unique and completely different from FighterZ and Xenoverse 2.
I hope there will actually be a fighting system (and not something like Legacy of Goku games), even if it is a barebone one, so that we can have PvP to extend the game’s longevity. They should definitely have air battles in this, there’s no reason not to especially if they want to be faithful to Dragon Ball Z, and I don’t see why they wouldn’t make a fighting system similar to Xenoverse’s, which isn’t exactly the deepest system around but it allows for multi-battles, and is decent enough for a game which is mostly an RPG.
I am looking forward to the first trailer because so far, if the picture of Goku and Gohan in V-Jump is representative of the art-style (I believe it’s a 3D model from the game) then the overall style will be quite good looking and similar to the anime.
I am crossing my fingers for anime-like scenarios too.

It will be interesting to see exactly what this game will be like. It seems like it has a lot of potential so far, but my main concern is if the game will have replayability value after the main story is completed.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:14 am

budokaifanatic007 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:So the game may end up being semi-open world rather than open world.

How do you know it might be Semi-Open world if you don’t mind me asking ?
Well, before this game was announced, my friends told me that a while ago, Bandai investor reports leaked talking about a DB RPG game with “open world elements”. Later, after the game was announced, TDC (a known figure specifically in the video game side of the DB community who also has inside sources in bandai namco) told me that the game is “open world-ish”.

So both the reports and TDC describe the game as no a straight open world but a game with “open world elements” or a game thats “openworld-ish.”

A semi-open world game could very well be considered a game with “open world elements” or as “open world-ish” since it has free roam and exploration like a fully open world game.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:55 am

Very optimistic about this game. looking forward to hearing more.
Also I hope itll just be Z stuff + maybe movies to be honest. Would love OG DB too but that doesnt seem likely.

Captain-Sora
Regular

Post by Captain-Sora » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:59 am

budokaifanatic007 wrote:How do you know it might be Semi-Open world if you don’t mind me asking ?
Probably because it's the most likely direction they'll take.

It's become the norm for console JRPGs to utilize zones rather than classic overworld maps these days (barring some exceptions like the Ni No Kuni titles), as devs believe people would rather have areas shown in a 1:1 scale rather than having the world be presented in a more simplified and abstract manner. The player character looking like a giant when standing next to a town or city is considered to be "dated" by some.

As for the other alternative, a seamless and fully open-world game littered with worthwhile content is a pretty time-consuming and costly endeavor, and if they plan to tackle the whole planet, it'd be downright unfeasible. Even major AAA open-world titles with far more time and resources than anime licensed video games don't do it. They usually have their adventures set in one or a couple of regions because anything more than that just becomes way too demanding.

While I don't think the classic overworld is as unlikely as an open-world game (especially since it'd be a pretty practical direction to take for this production), its chances are lower than the more popular zone-based/semi-open world structure JRPGs have taken up now. What would be interesting is if they wound up doing a mix of both, similar to the likes of Dragon Quest VIII and XI. Those games had their areas separated into zones while on-foot, but the sea and air travel were done in separately modeled, less detailed overworld maps similar to those found in earlier DQ and pre-X FF titles. Given how the characters would logically be flying around the world to get to their next destination, it's possible that they might do that kind of DQ-esque mingling. If not, we'll probably be stuck with a standard fast travel screen for all the globetrotting. :P

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:11 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:
Sora Saiyan wrote: Those models look like something CC2 would make.
Naa. Look at the fingers. They seem much more like 3d models than a 2d sketch. Also the wrinkles in the pants dont look sketched.
If this is true (not really sure if it is), we may get the best looking DB game yet.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:54 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:
If this is true (not really sure if it is), we may get the best looking DB game yet.
Maybe. I’d say it could rival FighterZ.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:47 pm

Assuming the base game is purely Z, I’d imagine the roster is this:

Goku (base,kaioken,ssj,ssj2,ssj3)
Piccolo
Krillin
Gohan (Kid)
Gohan (Teen) (base,ssj,ssj2)
Gohan (Adult) (base,ssj,ssj2) / Ultimate Gohan
Tien
Chioatzu
Yamcha
Raditz
Saibaman
Nappa
Vegeta (base,ssj,super,ssj2) / Majin Vegeta
Bardock (base, maybe ssj)
Freeza (base,2nd,3rd,final,100%) / Mecha Freeza
Zarbon (base,monster)
Dodoria
Freeza Soldiers
Ginyu
Jeice
Burter
Guldo
Recoome
King Cold
Future Trunks (base,ssj,super)
Dr. Gero
Android 19
Android 18
Android 17
Android 16
Cell (base,2nd,perfect,super perfect)
Cell Jr
Kid Trunks (base,ssj)
Goten (base,ssj)
Gotenks (base,ssj,ssj3)
Vegito (base,ssj)
Videl
Hercule (Mr. Satan)
Dabura
Majin Buu / Evil Buu
Super Buu (base,gotenks absorbed,Gohan absorbed)
Kid Buu
Broly (base,ssj,lssj)
Slug
Turles
Bojack (base,super)
Super Janemba
Tapion
Super Gogeta
Pikkon

That nicely covers all of Z with movie characters for side missions.

I stopped at 50 characters since i dont really know how many characters a db arpg game would have. Plus, this game, if made by CC2, probably would have had 3 to 4 years of dev time by its release.