"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:51 pm

So this trailer just got released and I decided to watch it though I'm not actually following the content/trailers and stuff that have been released.

Huh... There's seemingly not much for someone like me to look forward to except the "promised" answers to the Dragon Ball lore. Which probably goes without saying that even that might be something not to get too hyped for, as I don't want to get disappointed in the face of mere trivial things being "answered" instead of major/important stuff. Aside from that, it really seems the game will just retell Dragon Ball Z yet again, which will turn out to be a major letdown if that's the case. Still hoping this game has something more to offer/to reveal (won't mind if they keep it a secret until the game is released).

If it's going just to retell, at least give me the chance to play as Bardock in planet Vegeta... Would be amazing!
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:59 pm

I legit don't get why "it tells the story from the anime/manga" is a legitimate complaint about a Dragon Ball game. I get that maybe the oversaturation of DB games that have done that may have led to some burnout, but it's more all in the execution. Plus, it's a Dragon Ball game. To not expect it to tell the DB story is really expecting something that's not gonna happen, considering that's the point of an anime game. I personally have waited a long time to get a true to the anime experience without shortcuts or underwhelming results, considering we live in a time where we can have a great Dragon Ball game, especially since it lends perfectly tot he Action RPG genre. We haven't had a proper ARPG in the franchise since Buu's Fury, so it's something to look forward to.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:16 pm

Scsigs wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:59 pm I legit don't get why "it tells the story from the anime/manga" is a legitimate complaint about a Dragon Ball game. I get that maybe the oversaturation of DB games that have done that may have led to some burnout, but it's more all in the execution. Plus, it's a Dragon Ball game. To not expect it to tell the DB story is really expecting something that's not gonna happen, considering that's the point of an anime game. I personally have waited a long time to get a true to the anime experience without shortcuts or underwhelming results, considering we live in a time where we can have a great Dragon Ball game, especially since it lends perfectly tot he Action RPG genre. We haven't had a proper ARPG in the franchise since Buu's Fury, so it's something to look forward to.
I think it would’ve been nice to have an RPG Dragon Ball game that told an original story. Still, at this point, I’m just glad to have a Dragon Ball console game that isn’t a fighting game.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:27 am

At this moment, I'm kind of addicted to RPG again, even started playing Dragon Quest 8 for the first time thanks to all the hype and stuff I saw for the new Dragon Quest anime in the Jump Festa (also getting the opportunity to know the franchise starting by said game). So I also would like to play a great RPG/action RPG Dragon Ball game, but a "great Dragon Ball game" has to bring a new story, especially nowadays, otherwise everything else crumbles. We shouldn't be stuck, much less asking for the same thing over and over, you know.

~ Day of the Machines ~

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:51 am

I sure hope this game will be the last game that will ever play the original story, cuz regardless of how faithful and beautiful this game is, this is a step back compared to the Xenoverse series and FighterZ regarding mostly original (at least 60%) content.
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:41 am Pretty much. Again, I'm in no way saying it's anywhere near as good or as effective as that amazingly beautiful and touching Japanese ad, but I do believe they're going for the same thing just for very, very different demographics. Once I thought of it in that way, I found it hard to really 'hate' this new ad.
Hell, Japan markets our shows and games in a different way all the time to different demographics too, and it doesn't seem to be a problem with some folks.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:54 pm

First review of the game from japanese outlet Famitsu. Rated 9/8/9/8 (34/40)

The story is reportely 40hs long without sidequests, and 80-100hs long if you do sidequests.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:20 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:27 am At this moment, I'm kind of addicted to RPG again, even started playing Dragon Quest 8 for the first time thanks to all the hype and stuff I saw for the new Dragon Quest anime in the Jump Festa (also getting the opportunity to know the franchise starting by said game). So I also would like to play a great RPG/action RPG Dragon Ball game, but a "great Dragon Ball game" has to bring a new story, especially nowadays, otherwise everything else crumbles. We shouldn't be stuck, much less asking for the same thing over and over, you know.
I mean, I'd appreciate a game that would chronicle all of the manga's events & Super's in the context of an Action RPG. The closest game we have to that is Budokai Tenkaichi 3, which allowed for events in DB, Z, the Z movies & specials, & GT, as well as "what-ifs." I want a game that can give me the entire experience start to finish & in a good presentation.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:39 pm

But the thing is, right now, do we (as a whole) and the franchise itself really need a game like that?
Last edited by Grimlock on Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~ Day of the Machines ~

dualist
Regular

Post by dualist » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:00 pm

I wasn't initially happy when I found out this would be a retelling of the same old story because we've done that a ton of times. However, I've warmed up to the idea because the game looks so really good and we haven't had an RPG version of the story since the LOG series. With that being said, my preference is an RPG or MMO with an original story. I absolutely loved the lore of DBO which is some of the best I've seen from a game. It saddens me to this day how poorly that game was marketed. Keep in mind that Heroes and XV have all borrowed a majority of their ideas from DBO.

The XV series comes close as an MMO-lite, but it's not quite there. The combat can get boring, the story mode isn't co-op and on top of that it isn't that great anyway. As wild as DB Heroes is, it's so far from the original story that I really enjoy it as a game, I just wish it used a different play style.

I'm going to enjoy Kakarot, but I'm hoping that whatever they might be planning with XV3 will be what I've been seeking.
Playing Xenovoerse on PS4
PSN Tag: Dualist721

Novantico

Post by Novantico » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:35 am

sangofe wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:21 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:05 pm
sangofe wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:47 am
That's not a place holder?
Dont think so no.
What an odd choice.
I don't think it's bad at all. Goku on nimbus is a timeless callback to the early days. It looks super clean too, and the red makes it stand out.

Novantico

Post by Novantico » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:38 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:54 pm First review of the game from japanese outlet Famitsu. Rated 9/8/9/8 (34/40)

The story is reportely 40hs long without sidequests, and 80-100hs long if you do sidequests.
I'm happy that the story is a healthy 40 hours, but I'm concerned about that 80-100hrs thing. I'm afraid that it's gonna be filled with too much fluff, almost as though they wanted to pad it out rather than let the playtime go with whatever content they wanted to put in it. But who knows.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:21 pm

I'll wait for reviews to see if I'll buy the game on release. The combat leaves me suspect, seems shallow and repetitive. That's a huge weakness for an action RPG.

Still disappointed how this game is focuses on the Saiyan Arc and beyond, when you have Super and Pre- Saiyan content needing attention.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:22 pm

I would love it if we get to play in a future version of a given map, following the story of Trunks. Probably not.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:30 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:22 pm I would love it if we get to play in a future version of a given map, following the story of Trunks. Probably not.
Maybe in a story expansion DLC. Though with ~40 hours for main game (10 more than KH3) & ~80 with all of the side stuff, I'd love for part of the story expansion to be something like what you're talking about.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:33 pm

Something just occurred to me earlier today - have they not announced who's voicing Bonyu? It's not strange that we don't have a dub actor yet, but don't they usually announce seiyuu for new characters like this prior to the release?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:23 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:33 pm Something just occurred to me earlier today - have they not announced who's voicing Bonyu? It's not strange that we don't have a dub actor yet, but don't they usually announce seiyuu for new characters like this prior to the release?
Not a lot of the marketing has mentioned the character or had her in it, so no. Still a bit strange they haven't announced the actresses yet.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:50 am

LightBing wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:21 pm I'll wait for reviews to see if I'll buy the game on release. The combat leaves me suspect, seems shallow and repetitive. That's a huge weakness for an action RPG.

Still disappointed how this game is focuses on the Saiyan Arc and beyond, when you have Super and Pre- Saiyan content needing attention.
Pre Z definitely should have been included but DBS can stay away.

Novantico

Post by Novantico » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:13 am

So some things that disappoint me based on what I’ve seen on reddit:

1. No transformations outside of battle. I really think this is ridiculous considering how much they’re putting into this game but don’t allow for that. That sentiment applies to the second one as well

2. Apparently you can’t fight on the ground. In all footage I’m aware of, you hover a little above the ground. Ridiculous again considering like every fight in the series was on the ground at one point or another, and it just seems like a fundamental.

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:35 am

LightBing wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:21 pm Still disappointed how this game is focuses on the Saiyan Arc and beyond, when you have Super and Pre- Saiyan content needing attention.
I'm one of the people that's most excited for this game and even I'm disappointed that this isn't the case.

I know that Z is the name that sells, but they really could have taken the opportunity to finally make a game detailing the early arcs of the story. In the 21st century we've had literal dozens of games detailing the "Z-era" story but a mere four games set in the early arcs (maybe an actual handful if you count Attack of the Saiyans).

That said, we do have the Season Pass, and all of the locations and most of the characters from early Dragon Ball are already in the game, so maybe we will still get it, just in the form of DLC. Perhaps they just thought the game wouldn't sell as much if it focused on the early arcs.

I mean, a guy can hope :mrgreen: But I'm not really holding my breath.

Even if it turns out not to be the case, I'm still incredibly excited. Kakarot looks like a mix of the animation quality and fanservice of the first Budokai and the exploration and RPG elements of Legacy of Goku II and Buu's Fury, which are some of my favorite DB games of all time.

---------------------------------------------//---------------------------------------------------

In other news, seems like we finally have a scene with Mr. Satan. Does anyone know who the new VA is? His voice seems familiar.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:59 am

Novantico wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:13 am So some things that disappoint me based on what I’ve seen on reddit:

1. No transformations outside of battle. I really think this is ridiculous considering how much they’re putting into this game but don’t allow for that. That sentiment applies to the second one as well

2. Apparently you can’t fight on the ground. In all footage I’m aware of, you hover a little above the ground. Ridiculous again considering like every fight in the series was on the ground at one point or another, and it just seems like a fundamental.
I don't know about ground fighting (even if it's not possible, you can fight very close to the ground anyway, almost touching it) but we're still not sure if it's possible to use transformations in the free roam.

Except for the moments where the characters are permanently transformed, no gameplay came out showing if this is possible. I think it's better to wait until the game launches