"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:26 am

Grimlock wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:35 amThey're full going with TV Special, which means proper depiction of some stuff, like planet Vegeta, which is red. Not another Earth-like planet. Well, it's in the manga anyway.
I don't recall the manga ever specifying the color of the sky of planet Vegeta.
Mr Baggins wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:20 pm I could write essays about why I think the Minus/Broly iteration of Bardock is an infinitely more nuanced character than the OG TV version, but that'd be kinda off-topic for a video game thread, so I'll save it. It's a real shame that we're not exploring this, though.
I completely agree. That's a much more unique and alien landscape than the original TV special.

The town they've made here is more Earth (as far as Dragon Ball is concerned) than alien.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:10 am

^ Yeah, I wish we could have explored the real planet Vegeta from Super.
Now that is the kind of landscape that looks way more interesting than what we have in the Z version, which looks like just another Freeza-style alien city when it comes to buildings and furniture, only with a red sky that we could do without.

The Super / Minus version would be a city worth spending hours in it and doing side quests in it.
But hey, despite being inferior in every way, that old version of Bardack's story is already something I will gladly spend hours in.

Mind you guys, there's also the possibility that the other two DLC slots will be the two remaining Super movies:

- It would follow the pattern of the Season 1 pass: one TV movie adapted into a full-fledged arc, two DBS movies adapted as shorter "Resurrection F"-style experiences.

- Because those remaining movies use elements that have already been shown in the current game, they can skip in-between events. The Broly movie only uses the Super Saiyan Blue already obtained in Resurrection 'F' and can skip anything that happened with Hit, Zamasu and Jiren seamlessly. The Super Hero movie only requires you to have information about what happened in the Cell arc to have maximum "reminder" impact, which is covered in the game too.

The only thing playing against their inclusion is that this is labelled as a Z game, and Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' could be slipped in under the excuse that they were Z movies before they became Super arcs.

But if we stick to Z, I'd say Broly and Janemba as likely possibilities.
But keep in mind that just like for the first pass, they might do one full-fledged arc (Bardack) and then just minor DLCs like BOG and Resurrection 'F'.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:41 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:26 amI don't recall the manga ever specifying the color of the sky of planet Vegeta.
Cold Skin wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:02 pmPlus, if this game is supposed to be a gateway into the franchise for first-timers (which it apparently sets out to be given the newcomer-friendly presentation and explanations all along), it would be better not to confuse them by showing them a story that never actually happened in the end.

But hey, if they want to adapt other Z movies that never happened as well, they might as well put that popular Bardack story into the mix... It will be fun if this Kakarot game includes the Z version of Broly or Gogeta and if a later "Kakarot 2" Super-focused game decides to include the actual Broly and Gogeta who are clearly supposed to exist for the very first time in Super. Not confusing at all for newcomers. :roll:
You are worried about newcomers being "confused" but you yourself seem confused with your whole "stories that never happened" thing. :eh: May I help you or something?
kemuri07 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:26 pmbut very much glad that this is Blood Warrior Bardock and not Bardock The Scientist.
There should be a "brilliant" in there somewhere. :P
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:57 am

As much as the original story did it's own spin on events besides the major manga one and basically created it's own "Toriyama sanctioned in a way" filler, I really hope the DLCs won't be based on the Z movies.

I am kind of tired of Broly and Cooler, or Janemba being put in everything, as much as their designs are cool.
The Broly movies are quite boring to be honest and the Super Broly is more fun and interesting.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

SouthoftheForest

Post by SouthoftheForest » Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:51 am

Gt91 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:00 am I'd like to see SSJ Bardock vs Chilled, but some DLCs about Cooler or Broly would be great as well :thumbup:
Yeah, I think SSJ Bardock will be included in the game. It's an opportunity for them to have a little fan service. Therefore, regardless of what people think of Episode of Bardock, I think the third chapter of the fourth DLC will be Bardock vs Chilled. The 3th chapter of the Trunks DLC was Trunks' version of the Buu Saga, and I think they will go beyond the original Bardock special in a similar way with Episode of Bardock.

I think one of the other two DLC's will be Broly. He is too big an IP not to include. I understand people saying DBS:Broly is off the table since it's technically not DBZ - but we already have game data for many other characters that play a part in DBS:Broly, like SSB Goku/Vegeta and Golden Frieza. Above all, I think they won't miss out on the opportunity to have a playable Broly and Gogeta. Therefore DBS:Broly seems the most likely version to me.

The third one will be an original story, maybe involving AH#21.

Gridlock

Post by Gridlock » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:56 am

Really glad that this is based on original Bardock story, as it's one of my favorite parts of DB franchise. I don't mind if they use some stuff from Minus/Super to pad it out, but if it was just Minus/Super I would definitely not pay for that. Old School Bardock, best Bardock.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:09 am

Grimlock wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:41 pmImage
That's the full color manga. It doesn't necessarily reflect Toriyama's preferred colors. They colored it based on the TV special, since it's the only piece of reference they had.

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:13 pm

If the Second Season Pass sells well enough, maybe we'll get a Third.

There's just so many movies and OVAs I want to see.

Yo! Son Goku & His Friends Return, Fusion Reborn, Wrath of the Dragon, Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans (based off the Original, not the Raging Blast one)

The more I think about it, the more I'd love to see some sequels - Original Dragon Ball Kakarot, Kakarot GT, Kakarot Super

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:35 am

I'm glad we're not getting Episode of Jor-El, but the Z special doesn't have much to tell, either. Fight the Kanassa-jin, Dodoria, some fodder and die against Freeza. I would really like to see some cerealians and even Gas, but that won't be the case. Hopefully, some missions that involve conquering something, finding clues about Freeza. I really hope that Chill guy and SS Bardock are left out.

Vegeta-sei has had red sky in our eyes for the past 30 years. Not only it drives home the whole planet of savages idea, with an obscene gravity, but also DB has a knack for not-blue skies for alien planets (green for Namek, red for Vegeta, yellow for Yadrat, purple for Kaioshin, pink-orange for Beerus)
No need to "retcon" literally everything involving Bardock-El. Ask any bozo on the street, what DB planet has red sky? Vegeta-sei will be the answer, so I'm glad it staying that way.

I also hope the Z movies don't come after this. I'm ready for a Black DLC, or DBS Broly movie, we have SSB and fusion unlocked, so a SSB Gogeta is just waiting for me.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:32 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:35 am I also hope the Z movies don't come after this. I'm ready for a Black DLC, or DBS Broly movie, we have SSB and fusion unlocked, so a SSB Gogeta is just waiting for me.
It's a Z-game, so we're definitely getting more Z content after this. There is a reason they didn't even hint at Goku Black in the Trunks DLC despite it being so marginally close.

I'm expecting Movies 12 & 13 because they have the most lore they could include, first one starting out with Paikuhan + Otherworld Tournament + Hell, and the other with Tapion's extended story on his planet (Tapion is already mentioned in the game's gallery mode by the way)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:41 pm

For those that haven't actually played the entirety (by that I meant post-credits entirety...) of the Trunks DLC and are expecting this to be a fairly straightforward, faithful retelling of exclusively the 1990 Bardock TV special...

... I'm almost willing to bet money on you being in for a surprise!

I think we absolutely get a transition into the "Dragon Ball Minus" material for the "normal" ending, and then "Episode of Bardock" for a similar potential post-credits. Maybe swap that out for "Masked Saiyan" shenanigans, considering who else is already in the game? I'm aware of that extra stuff not being strictly Z-branded, but neither was the source material for what later came in the Trunks DLC.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:27 pm

If I had to put money on it.

We'll get the mission we see in the trailer.
Return to Planet Vegeta
Kanassa mission
Meat mission
Rebellion mission
Episode of Bardock
Then Towa and Mira kidnap Bardock(maybe)

Then as I said before rumor

Dlc pack 2 is M5 and M6
Pack 3 is M8 and M10

These alone are already bigger than the first two Dlc content we got.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:45 pm

Although I hope that all announced DLCs are full-fledged story arcs like Trunks and Bardack, I don't know if that's really conceivable.

Last time, they could only allocate time/efforts/money to two short "Boss/Event" DLCs and only one of the three was a long, full-fledged arc.
Those "Boss/Events" DLCs partly relied on the fact that you had to get even stronger with level-up sessions because you got further in the story and therefore it kinda justified needing to level-up a lot for the next objective.
If that's the case again here, I can't see them doing that and telling you that you need to get more levels compared to your fight with Golden Freeza and your latest Super Saiyan Blue transformation because one of those old Z enemies appeared... The only justification they'd have for new "level-up" DLCs would be to go further into Super so that the escalation in power continues, and especially the movies that are short and focused for an equally short and focused DLC relying only on level-up to guarantee hours of gameplay.

We'll see, but no matter what it turns out to be, I'm still glad we get a lot of new story content, probaly with impressive cutscenes again.

I know some people think this version could be mixed with Minus/Super elements, but I don't see it happening: the asshole Bardack who thinks his son is a little shit is just not compatible with the idea of coming home to his wife with a smile, taking her in his arms and genuinely caring about his two sons, asking about how they're doing and caring about their well-being. There's no way Gine is in, this Bardack would be harsh with her or dismiss their son as shit in front of her, which wouldn't fall in line with the way their couple acts (I can't imagine the gentle Gine being harsh with her son too, nor Gine letting Bardack consider his son as shit).

Too many incompatibilities overall to make it all fit together: Goku as a crying unaware baby VS Goku as a toddler able to stand on his legs and reach out his hand to his father's hand like he's silently asking why they send him away, Goku kept at home with Gine VS Goku kept in an empty likely-automated nursery, Goku scheduled for Earth by his people's usual program VS Goku sent there by his parents at night, etc... I don't see a way you could mix it all together and reach an in-between new version of events that would feel all coherent. I think it's going to be completely based on the Z version.
However, I wouldn't be surprised if it goes to Episode of Bardack after the credits: many assets can be reused for what is the same planet, just a few extra character models, and the appeal of Super Saiyan Bardack for many fans...

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:42 pm

This DLC will probably be tied to a Z Broly DLC. "His PL is low but his voice sure isn't" :lol: :lol:

And with fusion being now a thing, probably Janemba and Gogeta will be on the third one.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:02 pm

I would really prefer if they use Super Broly if they DO use any version of that character & mesh OG Bardock with his Minus version, taking the best of both worlds, but mostly taking from the OG one.

Also, just imagine for the 9th gen remaster they actually bother to add back in the extra fights they skipped over for no reason during the Cell Saga, which they really should. I'm still baffled that that arc was given the short end of the stick in this game. It's 1 of the more beloved of the 4 Z arcs amongst most fans. Even the Buu Saga's given more respect.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:38 pm

Scsigs wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:02 pm I would really prefer if they use Super Broly if they DO use any version of that character & mesh OG Bardock with his Minus version, taking the best of both worlds, but mostly taking from the OG one.

Also, just imagine for the 9th gen remaster they actually bother to add back in the extra fights they skipped over for no reason during the Cell Saga, which they really should. I'm still baffled that that arc was given the short end of the stick in this game. It's 1 of the more beloved of the 4 Z arcs amongst most fans. Even the Buu Saga's given more respect.
Even crazier is the fact that the Cell arc is in the middle of the game, I could understand it if the first or last arc of the game wasn't as thoroughly developed for whatever production/budget reason, but the middle part of the game being sorta half-assed just makes no sense.

I would also like to have the best of both worlds regarding Bardock, and not one or the other. Taking their own liberties and not trying to conform to either version of the guy could result in some interesting, new version.
Like, I dunno, instead of sending his gang to Meat-sei, send them to Cereal-sei, and after conquering the planet Gas is there to ambush them instead of Dodoria. Or maybe Dodoria ambushes Bardock after he fights Gas. After all, Freeza does land on Cereal-sei right after Gas is defeated... I mean, it's just finding a way to add one more fight for Bardy.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:53 pm

Bardock God of Time wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:13 pm If the Second Season Pass sells well enough, maybe we'll get a Third.

There's just so many movies and OVAs I want to see.

Yo! Son Goku & His Friends Return, Fusion Reborn, Wrath of the Dragon, Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans (based off the Original, not the Raging Blast one)

The more I think about it, the more I'd love to see some sequels - Original Dragon Ball Kakarot, Kakarot GT, Kakarot Super
Dude, I'm REALLY hoping we get Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return, Episode of Bardock, and Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans. I'm being selfish here, but as I mentioned above, these specials never received English dubs so this would probably be their last chance (kind of) unless a future game adapts these stories. I mean, with how many times the Saiyan to Buu arcs have been retold, why can't we get the more obscure stories?!!! Also, these specials all fit the Z-era mold unlike some of the other suggestions I've seen. And how many times have we seen Broly, Cooler, and Janemba adapted for the games? The specials would be a cool way to subvert DLC expectations and mix it up. And Invader Zim/Billy's VA voiced Chilled in DB Legends!!! I need an entire dub of that and if it's in a game, I won't complain!

Honestly though, Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return isn't really DLC worthy. And Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans might not be either. But I'm pretty confident Episode of Bardock at least gets adapted into the game so it's possible I'll get to hear Richard Horvitz' Chilled in full.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:59 am

Cooler and Broly have portrait leaks if anyone wants to go see them.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:04 am

miguelnuva1 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:59 am Cooler and Broly have portrait leaks if anyone wants to go see them.
Well I guess that's settled then. Surprised they didn't go for Gogeta though.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:51 am

miguelnuva1 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:59 am Cooler and Broly have portrait leaks if anyone wants to go see them.
Oh no! I was seriously hoping we are past the movies with Super now on... I kinda like Cooler, even tho he is basically a straight to business Freeza without his diva mannerisms and cool armored form, but I have no interest in the Z Broly.

Never liked the movie. The character designs and designs overall were nice, but the climactic battle which is basically everyone getting beaten up and doing pretty much nothing, until Goku pulls one punch out of his ass and that works.

I would love there to be something like Tenkaichi Budokai mode... you can pick characters to play as, or the whole roster for AI and just duke it out. But they would have to reprogram the enemy AI and that is too much of a hassle.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88