"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mr Baggins
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Mr Baggins » Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:04 pm

So it was real after all.

As someone who prefers Minus/Broly's more fantastical take on Planet Vegeta, as well as its take on Bardock, I don't care for this. Hopefully the next two DLCs will interest me more, but if they're just old Z movies, then probably not — we've been there and done that too many times in the games.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:31 pm

I doubt the TV Special version of Bardock's story will go anywhere any time soon, because how iconic it is. Same thing as purple hair Trunks. For me I never liked how Planet Vegeta looks like Earth in DBS. Being red and have a red sky makes it unique from anything else on the main show.

The DLC seems fun.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:51 pm

Holy Shit! So it's true!

Can't wait. But I am even more surprised by another 2 DLCs... Hope it will be a story DLCs and not some card expansion.
What could it be? Will it be a Super Story? Will they do a Super Hero DLC? That could be weird, as I am afraid it might be disjointed...

I for one would love them to adapt 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai to get some DB story and to at least go further with Piccolo rivalry, that was teased all along (but always skipped as DB content) and the EOZ!

I bet that they will dedicate one DLC to EOZ era to close to story of the game.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:21 pm

Wonder if we'll see Kid Raditz & Gine show up

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:15 pm

I'd imagine we're gonna get the expanded stuff mixed in here. I actually am expected the chilled stuff too considering where the trunks special ended up.

The TV special is like 40 odd minutes? It seems they're doing a good job stretching it out but given how they added the extra planet scenes (doesn't seem like kanassa?), should be a fun time.

I really love where dragon ball games have gone sure we're getting less of them, but they're covering all different genres. I'm so happy my two favourite pieces of content are getting epic video game versions that not only fully adapt the source material but go above it in meaningful ways. The ultimate tenkaichi/dbz kinect days days (which did have its own charm I guess) are long gone.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:14 pm

Definitely excited that this turned out to be true after all! My dream idea for a second season pass included the Bardock special (though incorporated more base ideas from Minus/Broly that this doesn't appear to be, at least as of now - guess we'll see once it's out), and some shorter DLC missions allowing us to fight through the old movies. With the first part being true, it's going to be interesting to see what they do with the other two DLC packs.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:57 pm

Feeling extremely gratified that they're basing this DLC on the original, actually-good Z version of Bardock, instead of his watered-down putz of a "cAnOn" incarnation from Minus and Super.

Or it's at least mostly based on the TV special, anyway... I wouldn't be surprised if Gine is included and plays some small part. It's not like she wouldn't retroactively still be li'l Kakarrot's mom all along, even though she wasn't shown or named yet in the original material.

Also, if the price to pay for using Z-Bardock is that they keep going and include him going Super Saiyan against Chilled in the past, then... so be it! Still better than the alternative.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:55 pm

*Ahem* - looking forward to this DLC.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:02 am

Scsigs wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:06 am The games are also coming to PS5 & Xbox Series X/S with enhanced graphics & 60FPS! yes!
https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoUS/statu ... 5213914117

On another note, I'm both surprised & not surprised that they're making new DLCs for this game. It sold pretty well & I'm sure that Bandai Namco want a nice return on investment for having them port the game to the 9th gen consoles, similar to Ubisoft putting. Assassin's Creed: Origins on Game Pass for doing the 60FPS patch for those consoles as well. Wonder if they'd put this on GP or Sony's newer subscription service as well. It'd be interesting if they did.
Wonder if you have to buy all dlcs there if you wanna play more than the basic ps4 game...

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:11 am

Rumor from a leaker

Pack 2: Cooler's Revenge and Return of Cooler

Pack 3: Legendary Super Saiyan and Second Coming.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:21 am

I'm really hoping that Episode of Bardock gets adapted mainly to hear a dubbed version of it. I've made countless posts over the years (since 2016) hoping Funimation would dub it along with Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return and Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans (which I'm kind of hoping also get DLCs for the same reason of not having dubs). Clearly, it's been long enough where those dubs aren't happening.

Remember, in DB Legends, the voice of Invader Zim and Billy from Grim Adventures voiced Chilled and he's a literal LEGEND. So, to hear more of him in an entire Episode of Bardock segment would be awesome.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:00 am

I'd like to see SSJ Bardock vs Chilled, but some DLCs about Cooler or Broly would be great as well :thumbup:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:35 am

Alright, time to analyze the trailer properly now.

They're full going with TV Special, which means proper depiction of some stuff, like planet Vegeta, which is red. Not another Earth-like planet. Well, it's in the manga anyway. It'll be awesome to explore that scenery.

But going full TV Special means that I really have no idea how they can even try to throw Dragon Ball Minus into the mix. Well, it's not really necessary to adapt it, but even so, I hope Gine is there somewhere, maybe even Raditz too.

So, are we going to see new events? I don't remember seeing that race before. I assume it takes place before their assault on Kanassa? I wonder if Toriyama provided any kind of input here, it'd be... strange and hilarious at the same time. Luckily there'll be some new lore and whatnot.

I really hope that they do exactly what they did with Trunks DLC. Expanding a little bit the TV Special and then throwing in a bonus. The most logical one would be adapting Bardock OVA, but since Mira and Towa are in the game, they could come up with a new scenario involving Time Breaker Bardock (or they could do both!). Please don't disappoint me, CyberConnect2! You did an amazing job last DLC, do an even better here.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:47 am

I very much doubt they're gonna adapt Episode of Bardock's shit. And, in all honesty, I'm fine with them not. That story was terrible. While I'm ok with Xenoverse doing that due to the whole multiverse concept, plus they don't explicitly say that's that Bardock in that game, I'd rather they stick to the better materials.

That being said, I'm really surprised they're adapting the original special rather than trying to combine elements of the old & newer Minus stuff. I personally think that 1 of the biggest reasons people don't like the Minus version of Bardock (me included) is that they didn't really flesh him out much, if at all. Even in the Broly movie, he barely got any screentime & no character development. I think if they did that, it'd be better at least. Although, I'm glad they're sticking to Bardock's original look. It's much better & more iconic than the Minus redesign.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:02 pm

I'm up for some new story bits to play in this game, even though it's a shame that they chose the inferior version of Bardack (inferior appearance, inferior behavior and inferior story).
Plus, if this game is supposed to be a gateway into the franchise for first-timers (which it apparently sets out to be given the newcomer-friendly presentation and explanations all along), it would be better not to confuse them by showing them a story that never actually happened in the end.

But hey, if they want to adapt other Z movies that never happened as well, they might as well put that popular Bardack story into the mix... It will be fun if this Kakarot game includes the Z version of Broly or Gogeta and if a later "Kakarot 2" Super-focused game decides to include the actual Broly and Gogeta who are clearly supposed to exist for the very first time in Super. Not confusing at all for newcomers. :roll:

On another note, correction of the artistic direction of the game for the newer consoles looks amazing: finally appealing blue water, many more elements (extra flowers, extra rocks), goodbye to that oversatured green for the vegetation for a much more natural green shade, etc...

The game is going to look VERY different for who plays on the newer consoles, in a good way!
Enough for anybody here to replay the whole story!
Except... There is a certain number of prerendered "in-game graphics" cutscenes which are likely to be unchanged, I guess?
Those prerendered cutscenes will probably keep the lower resolution, old FPS rate and old-gen landscape... But hey, the rest of the cutscenes and the whole gameplay will benefit from the new artistic direction, so it's already worth playing it all over again for whoever has the newest hardware!

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:20 pm

I could write essays about why I think the Minus/Broly iteration of Bardock is an infinitely more nuanced character than the OG TV version, but that'd be kinda off-topic for a video game thread, so I'll save it. It's a real shame that we're not exploring this, though.

I think the most likely candidates for the next two DLCs, based on the "Z" branding and their popularity, are the original Broly movie and Fusion Reborn. Those are the ones Shueisha/Toei considers the "big 3" classic features including the Bardock special, and all three of them served as the principal inspirations for DBS Broly. As much as I'd like to see some Super stuff thrown into the mix here (particularly given its sparse representation in the games) it probably won't happen for another several years at least.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:26 pm

Yeah..not here for the takes here. The Minus/Super stuff are goddawful, taking a cool looking character and basically just making him Jor-El from Superman. I have no doubt they'll add some of it in this game as a way to pad out the length and to tie it in with some of the Super stuff, but very much glad that this is Blood Warrior Bardock and not Bardock The Scientist.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:02 am

miguelnuva1 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:11 am Rumor from a leaker

Pack 2: Cooler's Revenge and Return of Cooler

Pack 3: Legendary Super Saiyan and Second Coming.
If they will only focus on DBZ those are safe bets.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

supersaiyangodgogeta
Regular

Post by supersaiyangodgogeta » Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:08 am

This game desperately needed some sort of multiplayer or offline option like World Tournament mode where you can freely choose which character you want to be and which characters you want to fight. Pure singleplayer games with zero content other than just the story don't work that well in today's age especially with something like dbz. A Tenkaichi 4 with this style of combat would've been the pinnacle of dbz games and they could've just updated that periodically like is done with Xenoverse 2.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:36 am

supersaiyangodgogeta wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:08 am This game desperately needed some sort of multiplayer or offline option like World Tournament mode where you can freely choose which character you want to be and which characters you want to fight. Pure singleplayer games with zero content other than just the story don't work that well in today's age especially with something like dbz. A Tenkaichi 4 with this style of combat would've been the pinnacle of dbz games and they could've just updated that periodically like is done with Xenoverse 2.
I mean, this game could've used a lot of things added to it, let's be honest. Better exp gains to make grinding worth it (hell, the first DLC is a glorified way to power grind), better level scaling, more sub stories to bring more heart & life to the world, Goku's face & hair fixed to look more like Toriyama's artstyle instead of...whatever they were going for, etc. I honestly do wish the game had a tournament mode, though, too. A lot of Action RPGs don't give you anything like that to make grinding to the max level worth it or that let you stretch your legs with your abilities & power. It's really weird that they didn't try to do that.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs