"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by DragonBallLove » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:41 pm

Scsigs wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:26 pm
DragonBallLove wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:52 pm Am I the only one that feels uncomfortable with the way the girls are depicted in the ad? This seems to reinforce the critique of DB being a "sausage fest" and seriously contradicts the direction the franchise has seemed to take lately.
Oof, that slightly broken English that I corrected.

As for what you brought up, um, DB & DBZ has never featured a lot of female characters, particularly in the main character roles. For the longest time, the only major female characters were Bulma & Chichi. Launch didn't even last passed the last arc of the first series before Toriyama dropped her. Then 18 was added 2/3 of the way through Z & Videl in the last arc. Super only added 3 female characters of note with Vados, Kale, & Caulifla. Bulla was also born in Super, but she has yet to develop & Pan still has a ways to go as well. The only other characters of note are Fasha from the Bardock special, which was Toei original &, thus, not canon, & Gine, who only got a minor appearance in Super: Broly & Minus.

FighterZ added Android 21, who isn't actually canon. Same as Xenoverse with Towa. Hell, technically this game is adding Bonyu as a Ginyu Force member.

I don't know where you've gotten this idea the the majority of the characters, even in the new material, aren't male, but it's true. They are. That's a fact. And if you expect more major female characters, minus the one they got Toeiyama to design just for this game like FighterZ that was started with Dragon Ball Online, in a game that's only seeming to adapt Z material, I don't know what to say. That's one of the weirdest things to expect at this point with a game like this.
Thanks for the corrections, English is not even my second language but my third ;P

And I'm not talking about the characters. I'm talking about the fans depicted in the video. My 3 years old daughter was very disappointed that the girls in the video wasn't casting kamehamehas, and that got me thinking about this. Female fans are beign ignored, and this reinforces the idea of DB beign for males only.

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:40 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnLErupwiF0

Let's players seem to have been invited to play it.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:44 am

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:19 pm

Thank goodness, I was worried 'Cha-La Head Cha-La' wasn't going to be used.

Although, this does make me wonder... will the intro change to 'WE GOTTA POWER' once you reach the Majin Buu arc, or will they use the Majin Buu arc version of Head Cha-La used for the Yo! Son Goku special from 2008.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:34 pm

I can't believe it is just one month away. Luckily the holidays will make time go by faster.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:09 pm

I cant wait for this. The enviornments look beautiful. Honestly I'll likely spend most of my time just flying around.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:15 pm

First 2020 DBZ game starts with a Kageyama opening, and all is right :thumbup:
I just hope they will invite him to sing again for future productions, he's the soul of DBZ music.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:15 pm

I never realized how FT Trunks is staring at Vegeta in the final shot of the opening until now! CC2 is not kidding around!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:54 pm

They may not have the best combat systems in their games but CC2 does know presentation very well.
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:46 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:15 pm I never realized how FT Trunks is staring at Vegeta in the final shot of the opening until now! CC2 is not kidding around!
Didn't notice that either. Guess Toei made that thing.

Wish they took this anime style approach to Super Saiyan for the rest of the game.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:14 am

I know art styles change depending on the project and artist of course but Tien looks weird in the final shot of the opening for the game. Something about his face is just off. Game looks like like a hard tribute to the show though and I'll commend CyberConnect for that. Beside's FighterZ I cant remember the last time this much love was actually put into a Dragon Ball game.. Might be Super DBZ honestly.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:37 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:14 am I know art styles change depending on the project and artist of course but Tien looks weird in the final shot of the opening for the game. Something about his face is just off. Game looks like like a hard tribute to the show though and I'll commend CyberConnect for that. Beside's FighterZ I cant remember the last time this much love was actually put into a Dragon Ball game.. Might be Super DBZ honestly.
Burst Limit had a nice look... if you ignore the extra gloss.

I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:15 am

DarkPrince_92 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:37 pm
goku the krump dancer wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:14 am I know art styles change depending on the project and artist of course but Tien looks weird in the final shot of the opening for the game. Something about his face is just off. Game looks like like a hard tribute to the show though and I'll commend CyberConnect for that. Beside's FighterZ I cant remember the last time this much love was actually put into a Dragon Ball game.. Might be Super DBZ honestly.
Burst Limit had a nice look... if you ignore the extra gloss.
Yeah Burst Limit looked nice and i'd even say it still kinda holds up graphically (ignoring the horrible english syncing but FighterZ has that issue too) but I'd hardly say any real love was put into that game when you look at it as a complete package.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:23 am

Trunks vs Mecha Frieza & King Cold. Frozen Glacier free roam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8t_XBOiNOk

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:41 am

This game keeps looking like there's a LOT to do in between main story points. I wonder how it's gonna combat boredom or inconsistent pacing.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:54 am

I think this thread should get stickies like the other games now

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:12 am

I'm really on the fence whether to pre order or pick up a second hand copy. I probably won't have time to play before summer anyway...

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:31 am

his chin is way more pronounced then it is in the original shots, it kinda looks like a parody of latter db art lol, plus his lips are weird. on the plus side they made yamucha's bart haircut not look....as stupid, as it does in the actual series! honestly though, just the fact they included such a deep cut as toriyama's favorite drawing really shows that there's a lot of love for the series in this. really exciting.

also, i preordered this game from gamestop and they gave me a Christmas card that said "HAVE A SUPER SAIYAN HOLIDAY" and "SUPER SAIYAN GREETINGS", it kinda cracked me up for just how weird it was lol.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:51 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:12 am I'm really on the fence whether to pre order or pick up a second hand copy. I probably won't have time to play before summer anyway...
After bad experiences pre-ordering games, I will wait for reviews. The game doesn’t look bad, but I hve played everything Dragon Ball since SNES era and I know the Z story back to back... This kind of game would thrill me around the time that Sagas was released (the Legacy pf Goku era) and the fighting mechanic doesn’t look much fun to me.
One of the biggest selling point of Xenoverse for me was new stories and material adapted from Super. If Kakarot started with OG Dragon Ball, then I am in! But this using OGDB elements in Z games because DB is not cool enough is lazy.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:55 pm

I personally have it preordered on Amazon for the standard edition, which is $10 off from the regular price & still comes with the preorder stuff. If I feel the base game's good enough, I'll get the season pass later. Particularly when it's discounted if that happens first. I remember when Xenoverse 2 came out, I got that piece of shit special edition that had that Goku statue but not the season pass for some reason for over $100, so I'm not getting another special edition DBZ game unless it comes with that. Xenoverse 2 was NOT worth it for that. It also had a steelbook & part of the OST on a CD, but I felt ripped off with the price it was at. If it had the season pass, it would've been actually worth it.

CyberConnect2 usually make good games & the previews look good, as well as I really like DBZ & haven't had a new game for that in almost 4 years, so I'm looking forward to it. I love Action RPGs & need something to tide me over until KHIII's DLC, FFVII Remake, & KH 1.5, 2.5, & 2.8 to be on Xbox One, which might not be until May or June at the earliest, knowing Square, as well as the DLC for KHIII being delayed a month for no reason on Xbox. No joke, though, I'd like to see Square's take on DBZ in an RPG, Action or turn-based. 2020: the year of Action RPGs. Kinda wish Bandai Namco would rerelease the Legacy of Goku & Buu's Fury games on the 3DS virtual console. I have 2 & Buu's Fury, but I'd pay $5-$10 for them again easy.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs