"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kanassa » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:39 pm

Stream's currently 35 minutes late.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:47 pm

Post-Frieza confirmed with the host mentioning Andorid 18 being in the game

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:58 pm

Kanassa wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:47 pm Post-Frieza confirmed with the host mentioning Andorid 18 being in the game
I think he meant Android 8 but either way I'm sure its going past the Freeza saga.

Also confirmed that there can be more than 2 people in a battle at once (supported characters not included).
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:41 pm

I was starting to wonder if we'd get anything from it. I tried watching it earlier, and it kept just being two guys yakking about other things and showing trailers. I then tried the Youtube version only to get nothing followed by two DIFFERENT people doing the same thing, leading to me not knowing which one was the right one. After about ten minutes of that, I just said screw it and decided to wait and see what gets posted here from it. :crazy:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

dariend777

Post by dariend777 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:23 pm

Has anyone heard anything about there being a mode other than "adventure mode?"

Anyway, I just hope that this isn't one of those rpgs in which you have to start all over after you beat it...but knowing CyberConnect 2, they probably won't do that.
"I would rather have an inferiority complex and be pleasantly surprised, than have a superiority complex and be rudely awakened."
Vanna Bonta quotes

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:36 pm

I hope they can add the old DBZ movie villains as bosses similar how the LOG games did.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:35 am

DarkPrince_92 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:50 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:09 pm I'm really loving the expressions this game has. For so long DB games felt so plastic and/or barebones expressionless during cutscenes
Yeah feels way more organic this time around. FighterZ was decent with expressions as well, I'd say.
Yeah FighterZ did a great job too!

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:52 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:41 pm I was starting to wonder if we'd get anything from it. I tried watching it earlier, and it kept just being two guys yakking about other things and showing trailers. I then tried the Youtube version only to get nothing followed by two DIFFERENT people doing the same thing, leading to me not knowing which one was the right one. After about ten minutes of that, I just said screw it and decided to wait and see what gets posted here from it. :crazy:
99% of the stream was just the guy saying what we already know and then following up with "I don't have an answer" while avoiding any of the actual question being asked.

Kanassa wrote:

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:09 am

The battle system really does look boring, except for the parts in which Raditz starts using ki attacks and the player has to dodge/block them, that’s a classic RPG thing which I liked. I just hope there will be some varied combos and that lots of attacks/combo strings will be learnable as that would add to the immersion a lot.
But if the fighting system stays like this it will be bad, especially if the bosses have a lot of health like Raditz does in the demo. It’s no fun to do the same combo over and over and over until the boss eventually dies.

I also cross my fingers that they will be able to improve the graphics a bit because there’s really no excuse for this, a XB1/PS4 game, to look worse than Zelda BOTW. I hope they can at least improve the cel-shading so that the game can look more anime-like.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:16 am

emperior wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:09 amI also cross my fingers that they will be able to improve the graphics a bit because there’s really no excuse for this, a XB1/PS4 game, to look worse than Zelda BOTW. I hope they can at least improve the cel-shading so that the game can look more anime-like.
There's no excuse for it to look... Decent? The devs should be ashamed.

Kanassa wrote:

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:23 am

Kanassa wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:16 am
emperior wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:09 amI also cross my fingers that they will be able to improve the graphics a bit because there’s really no excuse for this, a XB1/PS4 game, to look worse than Zelda BOTW. I hope they can at least improve the cel-shading so that the game can look more anime-like.
There's no excuse for it to look... Decent? The devs should be ashamed.
It can and should look better than it does right now. It’s still looking rough and that may be because it’s very far from release, but the character models are already done and I doubt they will be changing them, even though they look even worse than Burst Limit’s ones and that game is from 2008.
Maybe it has to do with the cel-shading? I bet they can use more of it, especially for the world, to improve the visuals.
It would also be nice if we could have seamless transitions into fights.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:24 am

The graphics look as good as any other anime game released this generation. I'm sure there'll be some improvements here and there but overall this is what the game will look like when it releases. If you want to see...questionable graphics, take a look at the new Avengers game.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:26 am

emperior wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:23 am It can and should look better than it does right now.
So, again, they look fine. Why is that a bad thing?

Kanassa wrote:

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:57 am

Kanassa wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:26 am
emperior wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:23 am It can and should look better than it does right now.
I am sorry but they don’t. If the game was made 10 years ago I would agree with you, but we are in 2019 and the game is coming out in 2020, yet the models are such a huge step down from FighterZ. If they aren’t able to provide quality ones they should have borrowed FighterZ ones.
Not to mention how subpar the (empty) landscapes look. I was expecting something a little better from a 2020 PS4 DBZ game. This looks very low budget.
I hope they will improve the art direction, at the very least.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:05 am

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - not everything has to look like FighterZ now, nor should it. Yes, FighterZ artstyle is amazing, but to expect every single Dragon Ball game to look the same now is setting yourself up for a major disappointment.

Anyway, looks like we got a few more screenshots showing some various people we'll be running into in the game.

AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:57 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:05 amI've said it before, and I'll say it again - not everything has to look like FighterZ now, nor should it. Yes, FighterZ artstyle is amazing, but to expect every single Dragon Ball game to look the same now is setting yourself up for a major disappointment.
Expecting every DB game to look like FighterZ is like expecting every game to have BT3's roster size.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:40 am

THEY PUT LAUNCH IN THE GAME!!!!!!

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:48 pm

sintzu wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:57 am
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:05 amI've said it before, and I'll say it again - not everything has to look like FighterZ now, nor should it. Yes, FighterZ artstyle is amazing, but to expect every single Dragon Ball game to look the same now is setting yourself up for a major disappointment.
Expecting every DB game to look like FighterZ is like expecting every game to have BT3's roster size.
The problem with Kakarot’s graphics aren’t only the character models, but the way they are shaded and the overall art style of the game which mixes cel-shaded models with semi-realistic backgrounds which are not cel-shaded (or aren’t enough).
Considering how this is an anime game, I was expecting it to look more cartoonish than this.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:15 pm

emperior wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:57 am
Kanassa wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:26 am
I am sorry but they don’t. If the game was made 10 years ago I would agree with you, but we are in 2019 and the game is coming out in 2020, yet the models are such a huge step down from FighterZ. If they aren’t able to provide quality ones they should have borrowed FighterZ ones.
Not to mention how subpar the (empty) landscapes look. I was expecting something a little better from a 2020 PS4 DBZ game. This looks very low budget.
First off, It’s more that you dont like the art style than it is that the game was just poorly made. Most are saying the game looks great and that CC2 is killing it (as they have done with the Naruto UNS series). Heck, this looks better than every DB game we’d have since Battle of Z besides FighterZ. AND this is one of the games closest looking to the anime than anything since Ultimate Tenkaichi. Not every game is going to look like FighterZ because not every game TRIES to look like FighterZ. Different games have different art styles. And a lot of the time its on purpose. Like some else said, expecting every DB game to have FighterZ graphics is like expecting every game to have BT3’s roster number.

As for the whole “empty landscapes” complaint, have you watched Dragon Ball? We’ve only been shown ONE landscape and its the generic most commonly known as “wasteland”. OF COURSE ITS EMPTY. This is a stupid complaint. If anything, the way the wasteland has been portrayed is accurate. The places that shouldn’t look empty are the places with people. But we haven’t been shown any places that are supposed to have people.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Tsufuru
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tsufuru » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:35 pm

i like db legends graphics more than fighterZ tbh.