Regarding Majin Ozotto and DBZ: The Legend

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Regarding Majin Ozotto and DBZ: The Legend

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:37 am

I understand that Gogeta and Majin Ozotto were at one point, planned to be in the game, but didnt make it in due to production constraints. Allegedly, an original character was also pitched by Toriyama himself, but I cant find anything else on the matter.

Do we know anything about this other character and if they were repurposed elsewhere?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Regarding Majin Ozotto and DBZ: The Legend

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:52 am

Unfortunately there's nothing else to find on the matter because that's literally all that's stated about it (that I'm/we're aware of, anyway).

For the record, this comes from the (not exactly hidden) "README.txt" file right on the game disc of "The Great Dragon Ball Legend" (both PS1 and Saturn versions), which contains a bunch of anecdotes from the development/production staff. This particular reference comes from graphic designer "N" (with this specific section translated by Jake/Herms specifically for our assistance on the January 2017 "Did You Know Gaming?" video that I narrated; we of course intend to translate the whole thing some day...):
You see, with the chain characters and things like that, we ended up having characters that hadn't been used in any fighting games before. There was Nappa of course, and Gurd, Jheese, Butta, No.17 (though he had been in the first arcade game), No. 19, etc. During the planning stage we even had all of Freeza's forms (there are still traces of this in the demo), all of Cell's forms, and all of Super Boo's forms, plus the Saibaimen (which ended up being in a chain hit), and to top it all off, even the likes of Pui-Pui and Yakon were considered. Also, while the roster on the Z Warriors' side might look stable, Yamcha, Tenshinhan, Chiaotzu, and all of Gotenks' forms were at one point in the running. I still regret that Tenshinhan's not in there; he really should have been. Besides all that, we had hopes for including people like Gogeta or Majin Ozotto, or even an original character (to be designed by Toriyama-daisensei, of course), but sadly the schedule forced us to abandon all these ideas. We had also wanted to include more special abilities in the chain battles (for example, Goku's teleportation, the androids’ energy absorbing and infinite energy, plus Piccolo/Cell/Boo's regeneration, etc.) to make the characters more individualized, and have the characters be larger.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::