D.B. HYPER DIMENSION: The debug menu, finally! (major problem though)

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cold Skin
I Live Here

D.B. HYPER DIMENSION: The debug menu, finally! (major problem though)

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:17 pm

You guys probably already know that the debug menus are easily accessible for the three Super Butoden games of the SNES, with a lot of settings and viewers (for characters' sprites, landscapes...).

I spent a while this afternoon trying to find the one for the fourth game, named Hyper Dimension, based on what I could observe from the three previous entries (assigning the value 00 to one of the first adresses would always be Bandai's way of accessing it).

The good news is: the Debug menu does exist in Hyper Dimension and just like with the previous games, some functions seem to work while others have problems.

The really bad news is that this time, the graphics haven't been spared, making the menu essentially invisible even in the Japanese version (which I used for my quest)!! Working through the debug menu is already something hazardous in previous games, but when you're blind, that's a huge extra inconvenience!
At most, going back and forth on some menus may make slightly visible garbage graphics appear, and that's all you'll get.

This is the most you can get of the debug menu on your display, and that picture's been brightened up a lot!
Consider the debug menu invisible...

The first option you can click on seems to be in line with the debug menus of the previous games: it will launch a battle with specific characters and settings. You can consider the first option the "START BATTLE WITH THOSE SETTINGS" option.
Default settings seem to constantly lead you to a Gotenks VS Gotenks fight (probably the default characters selected for Player 1 and Player 2) with 0 health points. You are unable to move at all, maybe because with no health, you are considered K.O. and control is taken away from you as soon as you have no health.

All settings are up for a Gotenks mirror match, but somebody forgot to give him a little health by default and therefore the ability to move around!

The second option is the usual landscape viewer. It's very handy compared to other games and contains all stages in all lightings (daylight / sunset / night) with the ability to freely move the camera around and also the ability to check layers independantly with the L and R buttons.

There's nothing better to make you see how those environments have been carefully crafted with multiple complex layers.
Strangely, health bar are here, still with Gotenks and Gotenks, but with 999 health points this time (just like when the game plays the attract demo).

Most stages will be composed of two layers so that they can move at different speeds: one for the main area and one that combines the foreground elements and the background elements in a same layer (at least that's how the debug menu regroups them).
The game was pretty well optimized in the sense that layers cut pretty much as soon as there's no chance to see more, so didn't waste whole bits of layers you would never see. For example, they didn't fill the background with the sky and then put the surface over it: the sky only goes down as far as you can possibly see it in normal conditions, and then the layer stops as soon as it would become impossible to see.

For those layers, developers carefully cut around clouds to makes a layer appear beneath them as the distant ground, involved a system of rotating perspective on the crater of Namek or even used Mode 7 for one of the sky stages.
Strange things though: why are the bushes behind the wall of the Tenkaichi Budokai on the complementary layer? Nothing ever gets between those and they don't move at a different speed either, they could have been part of the same layer... Could it be for when a fighter goes to the background specifically where the bushes are?

ImageImageImage
The most typical kind of stage will let you have a separate glimpse of the "main area" layer and the "complementary background/foreground" layer.

For the Mode 7 sky stage, the camera will actually only move the background sky (you cannot temper with the surface which is handled with Mode 7), giving you the impression that instead of moving the camera, you are moving the clouds left or right. When changing layers with L and R, it will work differently than other stages, in that it will instead go to an overhead view of the Mode 7 texture, which you can now manipulate as you see fit.

ImageImage
The Mode 7 stage viewer works a bit differently: it lets you manipulate the background sky or switches to an overhead view of the Mode 7 surface to manipulate. Did you ever notice that at night, there are lights from houses and towns on the islands? That attention to details!

The third option seems to lead to another menu, but right now, there's not much to be told as I'm a little lost there, being sort of blindfolded!

The fourth option leads to another menu of its own:
--> GO BACK: sends you back to the menu you started from.
--> TELEPORT STRAIGHT TO...: allows you to teleport to a specific context of the game, starting with option N°1. Push the left and right directions to select a number, then press the usual OK button.
1: Title screen.
2: Intro (as if you just turned the game on).
3: Character selection for two players.
4: Tenkaichi Budokai selection.
5: Tenkaichi Budokai starting with 8 players as Goku.
6: Result screens for two players (each of them having a "draw game" it seems, with 0 victories and 0 defeats).
7: Story mode begins.
8: Continue screen showing Krilin, but without senzu beans, leading you to a Game Over.
9: Ending, with text appearing on a background of Shenron. In this context, special battles were not completed, leading to the credits only showing Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo and Boo (with Gohan, Gotenks and Vegetto being absent).
10: Ending logo, with the drop of water falling from a plant and into a lake where a Dragon Ball turns to stone.
11: Ending credits, again with an incomplete characters count as the special battles have not been flagged as unlocked or done.
12 and beyond: black screen and crash.

There are other options on this page leading to yet other menus which can lead to other menus themselves!! I'll keep searching, but it's starting to get tough to bring out new stuff without getting lost!

So far, no sign of unused data with the stage viewer. Wish I could access the characters viewers though, to see if there are any lost sprites and animations like in Super Butoden 1 and Super Butoden 3.

Wanna try exploring a bit yourself? Be my guest with the code 7E003200 (both seem to work) when launching the game, deactivate the code once you're there (though you won't see it) and create a save state for an easy return there anytime.

I must say, with that invisible mess, I'm not sure I'll be able to discover much more on my own anyway.
Still hope to somehow catch the "characters viewer" option somewhere in that pitch black fortress to explore while being blind!

The Jackal
Not-So-Newbie

Re: D.B. HYPER DIMENSION: The debug menu, finally! (major problem though)

Post by The Jackal » Thu May 02, 2019 7:06 pm

I like reading stuff like this, thanks for sharing! :)

Have you thought about posting this over at The Cutting Room Floor (tcrf.net)? I'm sure the guys over there would be interested in this as well.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Thu May 02, 2019 8:37 pm

Pretty kickass!
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Fri May 03, 2019 12:19 am

nice find! the best dbz fighting game after FighterZ

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri May 03, 2019 11:46 am

Anyone can transmit this to TCRF, I won't mind!
Well, I haven't found much more than this.
I did stumble upon the palette checker, where you can see a bunch of squares aligned as a rectangle with colors matching the palette of a lanscape or a character.

Other than that, it seems a problem comes from the fact that some sprites appear as totally mixed up tiles (I found what looks like the characters' sprites and landscapes' tiles, but with bits of each sprite spread in a random rectangle of tiles: a bit of foot here, a half of hair there, the eyes and nose elsewhere... It's like a jigsaw puzzle of the sprite showing in a specific rectangle!).

Converting a Japanese save state into the French version, I saw that the story mode is still there! But of course, the text appearing is nothing but garbage graphics with random half-letters appearing all over. A problem seems to be the connection to the next scene everytime, which might explain why forcing the unexisting Story mode on the main menu doesn't work to start it.
The story mode is there (with garbage text due to the Japanese alphabet having been changed to the Western alphabet, but not re-ordered in the Story mode, which implies it was given up before even the slightest bit of translation was entered), but connection paths between scenes are broken, so the scenes are isolated from each other.

For example, a save state set just after it begins works properly: you see the intro to the Piccolo VS Freezer match, then you do that match, but then it fails to load the next scene and crashes.
Same thing for another later fight: the story of that fight works properly (except for garbage text), the fight proceeds, but then it fails to connect to the next part and crashes on a black screen.

Basically like:
- MAIN MENU.
-------------------[BROKEN LINK TO STORY MODE]
"PICCOLO VS FREEZER" INTRO TEXT AND DIALOGUE
"PICCOLO VS FREEZER" FIGHT
-------------------[BROKEN LINK TO "GOKU VS FREEZER"]
"GOKU VS FREEZER" INTRO TEXT AND DIALOGUE
"GOKU VS FREEZER" FIGHT
-------------------[BROKEN LINK TO... etc, etc]

So if you access a part of the story mode in the French version, you won't go beyond that scene.