Does anybody remember that Raging Blast 3 project? What happened to that?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Does anybody remember that Raging Blast 3 project? What happened to that?

Post by IntangibleFancy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:54 pm

It was made by some guy named Treevax. He hasn't released any content in over a year which is a real shame. His ideas pretty much made my ideal Dragon Ball game.

https://www.facebook.com/DBRB3Project/

https://www.youtube.com/user/Treevax
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Does anybody remember that Raging Blast 3 project? What happened to that?

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:59 pm

He's just a regular fan as much as anyone else. It was never an actual "project" in that it was never a real game or development plan or anything like that. Particularly with the continued (never-ending!) Xenoverse 2 support and the release of FighterZ, I have to imagine that at some point along the way he felt like he shared as much as he felt was worth sharing and conceptualizing in the face of what was actually in development at Bandai Namco.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:16 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:59 pm He's just a regular fan as much as anyone else. It was never an actual "project" in that it was never a real game or development plan or anything like that. Particularly with the continued (never-ending!) Xenoverse 2 support and the release of FighterZ, I have to imagine that at some point along the way he felt like he shared as much as he felt was worth sharing and conceptualizing in the face of what was actually in development at Bandai Namco.
Exactly this.
When I was a kid and into Sonic the Hedgehog, I wanted to send ideas to Sonic Team that could be turned into video games. They were very detailed ideas, going into depth about what particular stages were like, the hazards, the badniks/robots, etc. I went into it thinking that the franchise would be better off if it went on a "nostalgic roadtrip" for a while and deliberately made it like a 3D Genesis game, ironically much like what the series wound up doing. If it were actually made by someone at Sonic Team, it probably would have made for a decent basic game bible to guide more in-depth development.

But I didn't work at Sega. I was just a kid, maybe 14 years old at the time.

What, was I going to sit back and relax and go to school and play video games while hundreds of people slaved to make my video game? That's not how things work.

Same deal here.
You can't just present a detailed game idea to a company and expect them to run with it and wait for the beautiful, impassioned game, especially if you don't work there and have no experience in game design. If you want your ideas to have any weight, then first you're going to need popular support: thousands, if not millions who back your idea and show interest in it and it alone. But even then, the company isn't going to just take your ideas. There are many reasons for this.
The first and most obvious is that it can cause copyright headaches. You might say now "No, no, take my ideas for yourself and do what you will with them!" But legally, that's not going to save the company if you say at any point later "Can I have some of the profits?" You'd have to sign away everything first, but that would require the devs to even take your ideas in the first place.
Second, there are people who get paid to come up with these sorts of ideas, prune them into a proper game, and then figure out how to proceed. The basic concept would have eventually been filtered down to something different, especially before roughly 2015-2016 when Dragon Ball games just didn't have really huge budgets to work with.
And that goes to the third issue: what may make for a good idea on paper may not be achievable by the company if their board rooms determine it can't be done with available resources. That was the state of Dragon Ball games earlier this decade, as I've made clear some time before— at its nadir in 2011, the franchise of games was worth about $25 million or so, which is borderline "indie" tier for what ought to be an AAA franchise. This is likely one reason why Raging Blast 2 had to cut features (like a dedicated story mode), why Ultimate Tenkaichi was so gimped, why Z For Kinect exists at all, and why Battle of Z could spend 3+ years in development and still feel so rushed and generic: there wasn't much money to go around to fund these games. Coincidentally, the Raging Blast 3 concept was created during this nadir for Dragon Ball, building off a series that was one of the causes of the nadir.

That said, the Raging Blast 3 idea did have its supporters— almost 100,000 of them, last I checked— so I wouldn't be surprised if the devs decided to take some ideas from it for future projects with the knowledge the fans want something like this. But the cold fact is that Xenoverse has far outstripped the success of the Raging Blast series, a series that was always meant to be a 7th gen answer to the Sparking!/Tenkaichi games. If we ever got a "Raging Blast 3" in any way, shape, or form, it wouldn't be called Raging Blast 3 for the same reason Raging Blast 1 wasn't called "Budokai Tenkaichi 4".
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:57 am

XenoVerse can be looked at as the succerssor to Raging Blast and even Budokai Tenkaichi. It has a huge number of characters like them and is a 3D fighter.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:23 pm

Raging Blast is old news and came out during a dark time of Dragon Ball games. I doubt Namco Bandai will want to go back to that series when they have Fighterz and Xenoverse making them so much money.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:55 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:23 pm Raging Blast is old news and came out during a dark time of Dragon Ball games. I doubt Namco Bandai will want to go back to that series when they have Fighterz and Xenoverse making them so much money.
Bandai wouldn't make Treevax's game anyway as it featured so much stuff people probably wouldn't have even bought another game after it.

nitwit

Post by nitwit » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:00 am

Not to go off-topic but seems like we might get a Raging Blast 3 style game in a form of Extreme Blast.

https://youtu.be/kgn3jAow1jA

Might be interesting if true?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:48 pm

Apologies if this is so incredibly on-brand that it's beyond cliché...

... but did someone actually make a video based on a random person entering text into a wiki list?

This is not news; this is not how you report news; this is not even a "rumor"; this kind of media-creation behavior is predatory and disingenuous; and it should be frowned upon, called out, and not directly shared to inflate their statistics.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:29 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:48 pm Apologies if this is so incredibly on-brand that it's beyond cliché...

... but did someone actually make a video based on a random person entering text into a wiki list?
Bandai Namco: "I know how we'll announce our new game... by adding it to our English language Wikipedia page! Yeah, that would make sense as a Japanese-speaking company in Japan."

It doesn't even beg credulity. Either someone added it for the sake of generating clickbait or it was done by whoever made the YouTube video themselves. I know what they were going for--occasionally games will be listed early on random global retailers, but on Wikipedia without citations this is just nonsense.

As for the RB3 project, it was a nice idea 5+ years ago, but a lot of the ideas are similar to what's in the Xenoverse games and it would be good to carry it all over to a better fighting engine, or something new entirely.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:53 pm

Thanos wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:29 pmBandai Namco: "I know how we'll announce our new game... by adding it to our English language Wikipedia page! Yeah, that would make sense as a Japanese-speaking company in Japan."
Your avatar is the Monna Lisa of our generation. :clap: :thumbup: