FIGHTERZ Main alternate colors shown and explained

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Cold Skin
I Live Here
Posts: 2250
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:09 pm
Location: France

FIGHTERZ Main alternate colors shown and explained

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:19 pm

Following SaiyanZ's nice thread, I decided to gather the main alternate skins for Fighterz here (color N°2 for every character) with each character's main artwork and some explanations and pictures for the reference associated to it.

Further details are available at the end of the post for all characters, especially since some characters are subject to debate regarding what the colors reference, which are acknowledged in those detailed explanations.

BARDACK
- DBZ Version -

BEERUS
BROLY
- DBZ Version -
- Super Saiyan Full Power -

C-16
C-17
- DBS Version -

C-18
- DBZ Version -

C-21
CELL
- Perfect body -

COOLA
- Final form -

FREEZA
- Final form -

GINYU
GOGETA
- DBS Version -
- Super Saiyan Blue -

GOKU BLACK
- Super Saiyan Rosé -

GOTENKS
- Super Saiyan 3 -

HIT
JANEMBA
- Serious form -

JIREN
KRILIN
- Ready to fight -

MAJIN BOO
- Untamed -

MAJIN BOO
- Friendly -

NAPPA
PICCOLO
SON GOHAN
- Cell Game -
- Super Saiyan 2 -

SON GOHAN
- Adult -
- Extended potential -

SON GOKU
- Saiyans arc -

SON GOKU
- DBS version -
- Super Saiyan -

SON GOKU
- DBS version -
- Super Saiyan Blue -

SON GOKU
- DBGT version -

TEN SHIN HAN
- DBS version -

TRUNKS
- DBZ version -
- Super Saiyan -

VEGETA
- Saiyan arc -

VEGETA
- Super Saiyan -

VEGETA
- Super Saiyan Blue -

VEGETTO
- Super Saiyan Blue -

VIDEL
- 25th Tenkaichi Budokai -

YAMCHA
- Saiyan arc -

ZAMASU
- Fused -


- EXTRA NOTES / ANALYSIS -

BARDACK - With how important it is for Bardack to fight for his loved ones (especially in his new DBS version), it is fitting that he wears his lover's colors. Ironically, the version of this character that's featured in the game is the one from DBZ, a version who isn't really associated to Gine: if she ever existed for this version of the character, she never crosses his mind and doesn't play any role in his stories. So the colors here are a reference to the newer version of Bardack, a version clearly shown and mentionned as unusually interested in the well-being of his wife and children. Speaking of which, he also wears the colors of his two sons. Finally, avenging his four teammates mean so much to him that he also wears their colors.

BEERUS - Whis' colors are not much of a surprise, since Beerus and Whis are a constant duo that often appear together. Whis is the angel in charge of Beerus, but it wouldn't be farfetched to consider them best friends as well.

BROLY (DBZ) - Broly simply wears his father's colors, the two of them being the antagonists of DBZ movie 8, marking Broly's first appearance. Paragus is the only person having a link to this version of Broly.

C-16 - The reference to C-8 comes from them being cyborgs and pacifists.

C-17 - With the playable version of this character being taken from DBS, it makes sense that his alternate colors are those constantly shown in DBZ (except for his final appearance at the very end of the Boo arc).

C-18 - On the contrary of the playable version of C-17, she wears the DBZ costume from her beginnings during gameplay, so giving her her usual DBS costume makes sense, which is how she is mostly shown nowadays.

C-21 - Though it is never directly stated, various clues heavily point at C-21 being Gero's wife (or at least being based on his wife). Her wearing his colors as an alternate costume almost certainly confirms those clues.

CELL - With Cell Juniors being alternate, smaller versions of Cell himself, it's a classic to have him wear their alternate colors.

COOLA - This is based on his brother's colors, making his body completely white except for the crystal parts. It is noteworthy that the crystals do not change to purple to match Freeza in this alternate costume, keeping Coola's classic blue color.

FREEZA - Those colors are based on his ancestor, Chilled, from the Episode of Bardack.

GINYU - Those flashy colors are based on the colors of the Namek frog he unwillingly inhabited for years.

GOGETA - This fusion uses the colors of the other fusion between Goku and Vegeta, Vegetto! With Gogeta's DBS look and personality, some fans have developed the feeling that aside from minor physical differences due to the varying fusion methods, Vegetto and Gogeta are indeed the same person in the end, and these shared colors will likely make this impression even more intense. For some other fans, it may give them a glimpse of the hypothetical fusion between Gogeta and Vegetto which some fans also liked to imagine for years.

GOKU BLACK - Based on Future Trunks' default costume in DBS. Having this alternate will also give his ally Zamasu alternate colors, as he will wear Shin's costume colors.

GOTENKS - Those colors are from Dragon Ball Heroes. While an adult Gotenks already appeared quite a while ago with colors that don't differ that much from his kid counterpart, this is from the more recent version of him called onto missions through space and time. Those versions are called "Xeno", this alternate palette being based on "Xeno Gotenks".

HIT - There is much debate concerning Hit's alternate colors, with some people thinking it could come from the Kaio Shin of Time in DBH and the Xenoverse game series. However, the dark purplish-red tint doesn't really match. This specific purplish-red dark tint is extremely specific and only associated to Whis. The explanation comes from their common high-rank skill at manipulating time, with Whis himself noting - when watching Hit in action - that he didn't know anyone like him existed among mortals in that regards, implying this is quite a unique link between him and Hit.

JANEMBA - This is simply based on the colors of his alternate form, the giant, playful baby, before he gets serious and transforms to his in-game form.

JIREN - Jiren wears the flamboyant colors of the God of Destruction he serves, Vermoudh. With such colors, the contrast between the superhero he represents for everyone and his actual stern personnality is even more ironic.

KRILIN - Those colors are taken from the costume Krilin wore during Bulma's birthday party in DBS and the Battle of Gods movie.

MAJIN BOO (Untamed) - This is from the positive reincarnation of this monster. While it could have been taken from DBZ's epilogue episodes with Oob's first appearance, those colors actually match the DBGT rendition of Oob.

MAJIN BOO (Friendly) - This is taken from the opposite of Boo, the negativity in him being given its own incarnation. What better alternate version than the incarnation supposed to be the complete opposite of the character?

NAPPA - This is taken from Raditz' colors, with the brown armor and the bluish parts (instead of Nappa's usually black parts). Incidentally, this also brings the armor closer to the manga colors, as well as Nappa's first appearance in the anime (his colors were soon permanently changed, along with Vegeta's).

PICCOLO - Piccolo wears the colors of his father, Demon King Piccolo.

SON GOHAN (Cell Game) - With the darker purple and red accessories, Gohan goes a few years back to when he was a smaller kid. This also brings him closer to his manga colors (specifically on his Perfect Edition "Kanzenban" cover).

SON GOHAN (Adult) - Another step back in time with adult Gohan going back to the top, with his Cell Game costume when he led the show. Incidentally, those colors bring him close to his manga counterpart in the Tournament of the Strongest, who goes back to wearing that costume for the event. The white part of his clothes reference the cape.

SON GOKU (Saiyan arc) - Some people believe the colors reference his DBGT counterpart. While the colors could match, the yellow and blue tints are way off-mark from the plain blue and darker, orangy yellow. But on the other hand, the very pale blue and desaturated yellow seem to fit properly with the final Tankobon (first edition) cover with "normal Goku" saying goodbye to the audience, marking his final appearance (back then).

SON GOKU (Super Saiyan) - This is simply going back to the hero's very first appearance, at the very beginning of the story.

SON GOKU (Super Saiyan Blue) - While being different gameplay-wise, the Super Saiyan Blue is just a hair-palette-swapped version of regular Goku physically. It shares the exact same costume with the exact same alternate colors.

SON GOKU (DBGT) - This brings back Goku to how he was as a kid in DB, and in two different ways! These are clever alternates skin as they give the illusion of accessing the original DB Goku, basically giving you the choice between DBGT Goku and two DB Gokus.

TEN SHIN HAN - This is getting back to the colors of his very first appearance in the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai.

TRUNKS - This is based on the DBS version of the character, with the green pullover. However, much like every other skin in the game, it is strictly limited to clothes and does not change his regular hair color from purple to blue to match DBS as well.

VEGETA - All versions of Vegeta use his first anime colors. Those colors were decided by the anime staff and were soon changed to the colors we all know once Vegeta arrived on Earth. We don't know where those colors came from, if they were given by Toriyama who later changed his mind or if they were decided by the anime staff without knowing Toriyama's take on it first. In any case, it is considered a mistake and as such, was corrected in DB Kai. However, it is quite a famous design discontinuity that marked fans' memories and it regularly makes its way in games as a bonus, just like in this case. As for other skins, the character's hair are not taken into account, so Vegeta does not have red hair in his regular form even with this alternate palette.

VEGETTO - It is based on Goku Black, which is quite an odd choice as the two only share an arc and don't even actually get to meet (since Vegetto directly faces the fused Zamasu in all formats).

VIDEL - Except for a few details, Videl almost get a full alternate costume with this one, just by changing the colors. "Almost" though. With the ability to change her hairstyle, she is the one closest to having the most "canon" variations of her character. These colors are based on the new costume she gets when waking up from her injuries at the hand of Spopovitch during the Tenkaichi Budokai. She keeps those for the remainder of the Boo arc afterwards.

YAMCHA - Based on his famous career as a baseball player. This is not taken from the DBS baseball suits shown recently, but from his original DBZ performances.

ZAMASU - Ah, wouldn't he like to be the ruler of everything... or what's left of everything once all gods and mortals alike are gone. Anyway, his costume is based on the Zen-O one, surely a fantasy that Zamasu has to take on his throne. As it turns out, he actually wears the colors of his killer in the end.
Last edited by Cold Skin on Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:23 am, edited 8 times in total.

User avatar
Kokos
Newbie
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:15 pm

Re: FIGHTERZ Main alternate colors shown and explained

Post by Kokos » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:45 am

This is great stuff! Thanks!
Here's SaiyanZ's thread for reference: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=41122

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 2664
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: oak park heights
Contact:

Re: FIGHTERZ Main alternate colors shown and explained

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:23 pm

i actually assumed because of the darker and more muted purple, SSJ2 gohan's outfit is supposed to be more of reference to his manga outfit first but it also works as a reference too his saiyan arc outfit. but whatever that's so minor lol. really cool and helpful write up, a lot of the super reference ones really tripped me (like #18's).
nonbinary, they/them

i have severe anxiety, if i don't respond to you it's likely that i had a anxiety attack and wasn't able to.

User avatar
Koitsukai
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 898
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:02 pm

Re: FIGHTERZ Main alternate colors shown and explained

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:24 pm

Awesome, some I figured out by myself, but most of them I had no idea, thanks!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5142
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:16 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu

Re: FIGHTERZ Main alternate colors shown and explained

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:37 pm

I personally considered Beerus' alt to be referencing Champa.

User avatar
Cold Skin
I Live Here
Posts: 2250
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:09 pm
Location: France

Re: FIGHTERZ Main alternate colors shown and explained

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:58 pm

EDIT: Gogeta has been added (the artwork and extra details are now both visible).

As for DBS Broly in a few months, I bet he'll have the regular Broly's colors as an alternate, but wait and see (Beerus proved there can be surprises in the developers' choices).
Kokos wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:45 am
This is great stuff! Thanks!
Here's SaiyanZ's thread for reference: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=41122
This thread gave me the idea to remake it with the official beautiful artwork and definitive answers! :thumbup:
I don't know if I would have had this idea by myself without SaiyanZ's original thread.
Soppa Saia People wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:23 pm
i actually assumed because of the darker and more muted purple, SSJ2 gohan's outfit is supposed to be more of reference to his manga outfit first but it also works as a reference too his saiyan arc outfit. but whatever that's so minor lol. really cool and helpful write up, a lot of the super reference ones really tripped me (like #18's).
It's probably not uncommon to see Gohan's alternate that way since that was my first idea. Then, checking out Toriyama's artworks and full color manga, I realised that his belt is often still depicted as blue in his manga colors, so I wondered what was the inspiration for his red belt and saw that other people online had indeed pinpointed the similarity with younger incarnations of Gohan, so I checked out the possibility and it seemed to fit both the darker purple and the all-red accessories.

But as you said and as I stated in the extra comments, I also think it brings Gohan closer to some of his manga colors as a secondary (and perhaps accidental) attribute, since the all-red accessories are sometimes used for it here and there in manga illustration (such as a Perfect Edition -Kanzenban- cover).
So I'd say it sorts of doubles up as Gohan's older costumes and "sorta manga colors" at the same time.
Koitsukai wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:24 pm
Awesome, some I figured out by myself, but most of them I had no idea, thanks!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Cool! 8) That's one of the objectives of this thread to clarify this once and for all, the other one being to offer exclusive high-quality artworks for those colors based on the official renders while we're at it. :)
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:37 pm
I personally considered Beerus' alt to be referencing Champa.
It would have been a logical choice to do that, even the first one that would come to a lot of people's minds if they were developers! "What could be a good alternate for Beerus? Champa's colors of course!"
But apparently not, with all those tints perfectly matching Whis' features, down to the shoes.

Whis is still a logical choice for a Beerus alternate if you ask me, since he's his eternal companion and they always hang around each other, but given Beerus and Champa's resemblance, I must confess that as the developers, my first idea would have been "give him Champa's colors as an alternate, of course!".

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5742
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: FIGHTERZ Main alternate colors shown and explained

Post by Grimlock » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:24 pm

Cold Skin wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:19 pm
GOGETA - For some other fans, it may give them a glimpse of the hypothetical fusion between Gogeta and Vegetto which some fans also liked to imagine for years (how surprising that DBH hasn't ventured into the fusion of fusions yet...)
Not that surprising. I mean, the only thing confirmed is that the Metamoru fusion can be performed by more than two people, but merging two completely different methods may feel out of the realm of possibility if you ask me.

User avatar
Cold Skin
I Live Here
Posts: 2250
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:09 pm
Location: France

Re: FIGHTERZ Main alternate colors shown and explained

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:22 pm

^Yeah, and that's because it feels beyond the realm of possibility and could defy logic that Heroes would be likelly to say "let's do it". :P
That's Heroes thing, not caring about logic and giving fans what they wanted to imagine.

"You always wanted to see an adult Gotenks? We do it!"
"You always wanted Bardack to reach Super Saiyan 3? Here you go!"
"You always wanted to see psychotic Broly go all the way to Super Saiyan 4? Here, this is for you!"
"You always wanted to see Super Saiyan 4 Goku against Super Saiyan Blue Goku? We made it real!"

So I would have expected them to say "Gogeta and Vegetto fusing? No need for your numerous artworks anymore, we created it for you!" 8)
Heroes is just crazy, it's "give fans their dream forms and battles for just about every character, we don't care, give them all stuff that made them fantasize for years!".

I'm really not a fan of that big mess of giving everything to everyone, but I guess it doesn't hurt as long as it stays its own thing! 8)
It still gets enough recognition to be referenced in this game with Gotenks' alternate colors!

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5742
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: FIGHTERZ Main alternate colors shown and explained

Post by Grimlock » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:00 pm

Cold Skin wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:22 pm
^Yeah, and that's because it feels beyond the realm of possibility and could defy logic that Heroes would be likelly to say "let's do it". :P That's Heroes thing, not caring about logic and giving fans what they wanted to imagine.
It is quite the contrary, actually. Heroes' thing is doing what-if stuff within the realm of possibilities.
Cold Skin wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:22 pm
"You always wanted to see an adult Gotenks? We do it!"
Does Dragon Balll GT establish that an adult Goten and an adult Trunks can't fuse? Once Goten and Trunks are grown up, they simply can't do the fusion dance anymore? What logic is being defied here?
Cold Skin wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:22 pm
"You always wanted Bardack to reach Super Saiyan 3? Here you go!"
Super Saiyan is not a unreachable transformation. It was only a legend because most of the Saiyans of the past didn't meet the criteria. In reality, each and every Saiyan can transform into it given same the circumstances that were given to Goku and everyone else.
Cold Skin wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:22 pm
"You always wanted to see psychotic Broly go all the way to Super Saiyan 4? Here, this is for you!"
Same thing I said above, with the addition of "what-if Broly could control his Oozaru form...?".
Cold Skin wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:22 pm
"You always wanted to see Super Saiyan 4 Goku against Super Saiyan Blue Goku? We made it real!"
All possible thanks to Akira Toriyama himself who established alternate dimensions. With the presence/abilities of characters that can make counterparts from different realities to be in the same place, Super Saiyan 4 Goku against Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan God Goku is perfectly possible.
Cold Skin wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:22 pm
So I would have expected them to say "Gogeta and Vegetto fusing? No need for your numerous artworks anymore, we created it for you!" 8)
We still don't have any word that merging these two methods would/could possibly work, though. None of your examples really feels like out of the realm of possibilities compared to this one.
Cold Skin wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:22 pm
Heroes is just crazy, it's "give fans their dream forms and battles for just about every character, we don't care, give them all stuff that made them fantasize for years!".
Probably. Certainly Dragon Ball Heroes is not the only one doing that, though (and I'm not talking about other games).

User avatar
Cold Skin
I Live Here
Posts: 2250
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:09 pm
Location: France

Re: FIGHTERZ Main alternate colors shown and explained

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:58 pm

^ Yes, I get what you say, but Heroes also plays on what was never proven impossible, while also playing on what would have 0.1% chances to ever happen in the main timeline(s). That's what's makes it unique.

For example, still going with fusion rules, it was never stated that a dance fusion can give you gloves, boots and an undershirt instead of the same costume (right down to the colors as established by DBS Broly), yet here we have adult Gotenks contradicting the known rules so far... simply because it was never stated that it was impossible all the time, so Heroes can say "yeah, but in this alternate course of events, it can be that way, period".

It goes against everything that was hinted so far in the main timeline, and yet, they take that liberty.

Tuffle mutants like Baby were never stated to be able to fuse together naturally (he was the only one left).
Yet the contrary was never stated either. So Heroes said "why not?".

They could easily do the same for the fusions fusing together and go "it was never stated to be impossible, so here we go, we'll make you dream a little".

Heroes have rules that are fairly loose compared to the more limited main timeline(s).
But that's not a bad thing, is it?
If Heroes wasn't free to come up with what they want and go full fan-service, it wouldn't bring much of anything exclusive.

In the years to come, I'm pretty sure Future Trunks, Gohan and Gotenks (or even more likely Bardack and DBZ Broly) will access the God forms for some reason. And you know what? Why the hell not? It's just the same as giving them Super Saiyan 3 or 4 in the end... Wouldn't be surprised if Ultra Instinct was on the way for all of them too (because "what if" Bardack or Broly had been raised and trained by angels ever since they were born due to some random coincidence?).

And the rules can be screwed in such alternate parts of the franchise, I mean we have a game and a spin-off manga that chose that the dance fusion rule of having similar body types can go to Hell thanks to Bulma, so whose to say any rule can still hold in alternate stories like Heroes?

ANYTHING seems possible with Heroes and the staff seems more than willing to take advantage of that without permission from the lore!
Aren't you glad that anything crazy is possible "just because why not" in that version? :)

(but we're getting off-topic here, aren't we? :) )

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5742
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: FIGHTERZ Main alternate colors shown and explained

Post by Grimlock » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:10 am

Cold Skin wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:58 pm
For example, still going with fusion rules, it was never stated that a dance fusion can give you gloves, boots and an undershirt instead of the same costume (right down to the colors as established by DBS Broly), yet here we have adult Gotenks contradicting the known rules so far... simply because it was never stated that it was impossible all the time, so Heroes can say "yeah, but in this alternate course of events, it can be that way, period".
Adult Gotenks isn't contradicting anything and it's precisely because what you said, it was never stated otherwise that the clothes the fused characters wears have to be the same. If anything, it makes more sense the Heroes way. Because then we're not lead to believe all Metamorans wore the exact same outfit.
Cold Skin wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:58 pm
And the rules can be screwed in such alternate parts of the franchise, I mean we have a game and a spin-off manga that chose that the dance fusion rule of having similar body types can go to Hell thanks to Bulma, so whose to say any rule can still hold in alternate stories like Heroes?
Yeah, we have a series that just keeps recoloring Super Saiyan transformation, coming up with a transformation for a technique that others don't have said transformation, an old villain returning and getting stronger than the protagonist in such a short time, the Potara fusion suddenly has a time limit, power level all over the place... Rules can be screwed everywhere.
Cold Skin wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:58 pm
ANYTHING seems possible with Heroes and the staff seems more than willing to take advantage of that without permission from the lore!
You have no idea how things are behind the curtains so I think it's best not to keep saying stuff like this.

User avatar
Cold Skin
I Live Here
Posts: 2250
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:09 pm
Location: France

Re: FIGHTERZ Main alternate colors shown and explained

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:10 pm

^ Man, I do have a way to make things worse when trying to clarify and make them better, I'm just that good! :?

It was not my intention for it all to be perceived as an attack on Heroes, more like the fact that we've seen so many fan fantasies - and I certainly don't mean it as a possible dismissive term for "low-tier ideas that only fans would think of and not professionals" but genuinely as things that didn't exist in the main story and that had fans imagining them for a while and talking about "what would it look like?" - already come true by dozens in Heroes, that it was surprising that those fan artworks about "fusions fusing" were still just fan artworks.

I edited out that bit in the extra details since what just a "oh, by the way, how come they still didn't do it officially" trivia remark seemingly could look like straight criticism given the way it was phrased, and that was not my intention. Getting on anyone's nerves is never my intention!
I didn't express myself correctly and apparently still failed to do so in my attempts at replying, so I'm sorry about the negative reactions it may have caused and it's only fair that my clumsiness backfired on me.

I do follow the short DBH episodes and I usually check the new characters and forms when there's news about them or new openings, but I am more than willing to admit that I may not be able to fully grasp the extent of it and how logical it actually is.
As people among a wide variety of other people, there will always be some things that escape us and don't really connect with us and don't trigger our full understanding. So I'm willing to admit that some parts of DBH might escape my own understanding, including its degree of logic and what's actually possible or not in that part of the DB franchise.

Anyway, I'm sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way and seemed disrespectful to (or misleading about the nature of) Heroes.
It is hard for me to convey that it is likely the best-placed show to make fan fantasies like this an official reality while also not sounding like a criticizing brat saying "this show does whatever they want and makes no sense anyway"!
Being French probably doesn't help me express myself with as much subtlety as my actual thoughts either!

I did take that little bit of trivia out of the post (it was useless anyway) and I fully admit that you seem to have a far better understanding of Heroes than I do.

SSJgogeto
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 469
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:11 pm

Re: FIGHTERZ Main alternate colors shown and explained

Post by SSJgogeto » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:49 pm

That's a cool topic, it's nice to see the references behinds the alternate colors. I wish there were references about some of the other colors.

And I agree about the fusion and Heroes. Heroes is pretty much a fanficverse with a lot of what ifs (and this is what I like the most about the game), so they could make something about it.

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5742
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: FIGHTERZ Main alternate colors shown and explained

Post by Grimlock » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:16 pm

Cold Skin wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:10 pm
It was not my intention for it all to be perceived as an attack on Heroes, and I certainly don't mean it as a possible dismissive term for "low-tier ideas that only fans would think of and not professionals"
I mean, when you say things like this (and you said a couple of times throughout your posts):
Cold Skin wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:22 pm
That's Heroes thing, not caring about logic (...) anything crazy is possible "just because why not" in that version
... You can't expect not to sound as if you're not trying to belittle or anything. It may have not been your intention, but that is precisely the image you presented that was kind of confirmed when you said you were not a fan of "big mess". This kind of general statement is only spoken by those who don't really know what they are talking about and don't care at the end of the day. In other words, spoken by a lot of people as this is constantly shared among them since they lack the knowledge about it. You just stroke me as one of those people.
Cold Skin wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:10 pm
but I am more than willing to admit that I may not be able to fully grasp the extent of it and how logical it actually is.
As people among a wide variety of other people, there will always be some things that escape us and don't really connect with us and don't trigger our full understanding. So I'm willing to admit that some parts of DBH might escape my own understanding, including its degree of logic and what's actually possible or not in that part of the DB franchise.
That is the problem, you know. I get that it's very common for people who don't know or understand something to say stuff like "it's nonsense" right away without even trying to give it a chance to understand it. Dragon Ball Heroes (and many other official what-if works from other franchises) "suffers" in a way a lot because of that (thank goodness Japanese players understand it, otherwise Heroes would fail right in its first years). However, we should try to take a step back and think before tearing shirts apart and screaming "it defies logic!".

This might change in the next few years now that Marvel will release a "what-if...?" series, the concept will get more popularized and maybe people in general will understand how it works. If all goes well then who knows? In the end people might even understand Heroes. Then again, comic books have been using characters from different realities to interact with each other for ages (hell, the last Spider-Man movie was about meeting characters from different dimensions) but we still and unfortunately see people saying "GT Goku can't fight against Super Goku"... :roll:

Anyway, the point is that we should just avoid the best we can (since "stop" would be impossible) these kind of point of view based on so little knowledge. You don't really need to apologize, just reevaluate. You might even get interested and "hungry" for more of what Heroes is doing.

Not gonna get your thread more off-topic than this. Nice chat and thanks for it, though.

User avatar
Cold Skin
I Live Here
Posts: 2250
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:09 pm
Location: France

Re: FIGHTERZ Main alternate colors shown and explained

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:19 pm

Added the four default extra alternate costumes for Goku GT:
SSJgogeto wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:49 pm
I wish there were references about some of the other colors.
Yeah, I don't understand how they didn't take advantage of it for some obvious colors..
For example, it would be easy to give a costume similar to Gohan's Cell Game costume for the purple color of any character sporting the Kame Sen costume.
Or Beerus' red costume could have easily referenced Champa while they were at it.

User avatar
Cold Skin
I Live Here
Posts: 2250
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:09 pm
Location: France

Re: FIGHTERZ Main alternate colors shown and explained

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:05 am

Added all remaining colors for GT Goku.
It turns out that Color 07 gives you the opportunity to play as Goku from the early DB chapters/episodes.
Therefore, you can play as DBGT Kid Goku, DB Kid Goku with his Kame Sen costume and DB Kid Goku with his very first costume.

Color 07 has naturally been added to the main alternate colors, those who specifically reference a costume without a doubt.
Some costumes can sometimes seem to draw A LITTLE inspiration from existing costumes or artworks for parts of it, but not enough to make it to the main list of certified reference. In that case they still belong to "the rest" of the list at the end of the character's slot, with any potential reference seeming loose and various details seemingly not matching.

On the contrary of DB Kid Goku wearing his Kame Sen dogi, DB Kid Goku from the early chapters/episodes is not accessible from the get-go when you buy GT Goku and must be unlocked randomly from the in-game shop afterwards.

User avatar
Cold Skin
I Live Here
Posts: 2250
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:09 pm
Location: France

Re: FIGHTERZ Main alternate colors shown and explained

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:11 pm

Added all remaining colors for Blue Goku.
No specific references.

I must say that - and this is only based on my personal preferences - the two Gokus wearing white would have been legit "supreme versions" or "God updates" of Goku to me, if the costume somehow changed along with the hair when using divine energy, or if Goku had somehow become a permanent god (with the white looking very "supreme", along with either the orange keeping the classic Goku color or the blue insisting even more on the blue divine transformation).

User avatar
SupremeKai25
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1451
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:40 am

Re: FIGHTERZ Main alternate colors shown and explained

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:05 pm

ZAMASU - Ah, wouldn't he like to be the ruler of everything... or what's left of everything once all gods and mortals alike are gone. Anyway, his costume is based on the Zen-O one, surely a fantasy that Zamasu has to take on his throne. As it turns out, he actually wears the colors of his killer in the end.
That's pretty cool, I actually never noticed that. Thank you for reminding me of this AU:
Hmm. I suppose I can see the resemblance.
"Oh I've learned a lesson. Mortals are even more dangerous than I thought. Know this...Goku...I will never forget you."

Zamasu fan.

SSJgogeto
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 469
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:11 pm

Re: FIGHTERZ Main alternate colors shown and explained

Post by SSJgogeto » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:30 pm

Image

This Goku reminds me of this one:

Image

User avatar
Cold Skin
I Live Here
Posts: 2250
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:09 pm
Location: France

Re: FIGHTERZ Main alternate colors shown and explained

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:37 am

All of Bardack's alternate have been added.

He is probably the character that has the most references, with tributes to all four of his teammates being extremely obvious (colors 04, 05, 06 and 08), as obvious as the colors of his son Goku (color 09). There is no doubt that these are no coincidence and meant to match the various warriors.

For Raditz (color 10), I wondered (since there would be no reason for the wrists and ankles to have that unique color). However, the armor and boots remarkably matches, down to the bluish hue for the dark parts. So it seems likely that he doesn't only pay hommage to only one of his son, but to both.

Finally, I hesitated on whether the white color (color 11) was about Freeza or not, since that choice of going REALLY all white for every single part reminded me a bit of Freeza's final form for most of his body, but I figured that a true Freeza reference would have necessarily included a bit of purple, at least for the wristbands and for the ankles or shoes, so that it would match Freeza's "all-white but with bits of purples near the tip of every limb" iconic look.
SSJgogeto wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:30 pm
Image

This Goku reminds me of this one:

Image
Nice catch!

I wonder if it's a coincidence or an actual reference: while the colors seem mismatched to the various elements (the belt should be grey with the rest being yellow - or maybe brown for the wrists - instead of the opposite), it is hard to go past the fact that it's an almost all-white suit with yellow and grey parts, which matches the original colors chosen for Fire Brigade Goku.

When your eyes go from the original to the Fighterz colors, it doesn't seem that farfetched, and at the same time, unncessary mismatched elements also instantly catch the attention. When I look at both, I keep switching between "yeah, they had to take that as a reference, it's too similar" and "no, it's obviously not a reference, it's too different".

Hmm, I don't know what to think right now...

Post Reply