DBZ: Attack of the Saiyans Speedrun Route (4:37:42)

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fionordequester
I Live Here

DBZ: Attack of the Saiyans Speedrun Route (4:37:42)

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:02 pm

Hey everyone! I always loved this game, and I've also always been a fan of speed runs! I noticed that the World Record currently on Speedrun.com is woefully out of date. It's something like 6 hours & 34 minutes, when I knew it could be significantly faster. So, I put my mind to it, and came up with a route that can shave more than 2 hours of that.

I say "can" because the run I'm posting wasn't done all at once. It was recorded in segments, recorded on an emulator, and I made frequent use of TASing tools to remove stuff like menu flubs and all that. No luck manipulation, though; just think of this as what a well-done run COULD look like.

Anyway, here's the Prologue. Chapters 1-15 are coming soon!

DBZ: Attack of the Saiyans Speedrun Route - Prologue

Hope you enjoy! Do tell me if you like how I did the commentary, alright? Thx so much!
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Re: DBZ: Attack of the Saiyans Speedrun Route (4:37:42)

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:18 am

Here's Chapter 1!

DBZ: Attack of the Saiyans Speedrun Route - Chapter 1

Btw, future episodes, after Chapter 2, will have soft subs, instead of hard subs. You'll be able to turn off everything, except the HP counters above the bosses!
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:12 am

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:53 pm

EDIT: Alright, I've decided! I think viewers will prefer soft subs! So, here's Chapter 3!

DBZ: Attack of the Saiyans Speedrun Route (4:37:42) - Chapter 3

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:04 pm

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:47 am

Alright, Chapter 5! This is by far the longest one so far, and it's also the one where things finally get interesting! It's where my route REALLY starts diverging from the official world record route, so lots of fun stuff there. Plus, we get a full party to play around with again, so that's neat.

DBZ: Attack of the Saiyans Speedrun Route (4:37:42) - Chapter 5

That said, it IS a little longer, clocking in at 33:39. Tell me if that's too much, alright? I thought a Chapter by Chapter basis was the best way to cover this game, but do tell me otherwise!

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallLove » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:00 pm

Wonderful, my friend! I always loved this game too, it's a shame we don't get true jRPGs for the franchise anymore :(

I'd take some time to see your run, but I'm a completion archiever, so speedruns doesn't appeal that much to me. To say, I was keen of catching every possible enemy with the Mafuba in this game, so you got the idea...

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:23 pm

DragonBallLove wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:00 pm Wonderful, my friend! I always loved this game too, it's a shame we don't get true jRPGs for the franchise anymore :(

I'd take some time to see your run, but I'm a completion archiever, so speedruns doesn't appeal that much to me. To say, I was keen of catching every possible enemy with the Mafuba in this game, so you got the idea...
I actually have some interesting in crafting such a route, one day. I even have a clear route for beating Broly as quickly as possible. For now, though, I wanted to focus on the base route, first. Fundamentals and all that!

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:01 pm

This has been pretty great so far! My favorite speedruns to watch are of games I've played through myself, and I haven't seen anything on this game yet, so this is perfect for me. I'd say your current format, with chapter-to-chapter installments and subtitles for commentary, works really well!

Once you're done, I would be interested in seeing the full run in a single video, if nothing else but to be able to more easily understand the timing of the run as a whole.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:51 pm

Awesome! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it!

In any case, heeeeere's Raditz!

DBZ: Attack of the Saiyans Speedrun Route (4:37:42) - Chapters 6-7

One of the hardest fights in the entire game right here, but also one of the funnest. Also, Chapter 7's attached, since it's so short. Less than 3 minutes, in fact.

Hope you enjoy!

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:06 am

And now, Chapter 8. It's one of the longer ones, and also where Krillin REALLY gets to show his stuff!

DBZ: Attack of the Saiyans Speedrun Route (4:37:42) - Chapter 8

Hope you enjoy!

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:54 pm

Ok, I apologize profusely for how long these next installments took! Chapter 10 was a goliath of a Chapter; over an hour long! I procrastinated for a while before finally buckling down and getting it done...

...only to then realize I'd actually forgotten to do Chapter 9. So as a result, today is a double upload! Here you go:

DBZ: Attack of the Saiyans Speedrun Route (4:37:42) - Chapter 9

DBZ: Attack of the Saiyans Speedrun Route (4:37:42) - Chapter 10

Don't worry; Chapter 10 is the outlier here. None of the others exceed a half hour.

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallLove » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:22 pm

I'm eager to see it whole! Thanks!

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:38 am

DragonBallLove wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:22 pm I'm eager to see it whole! Thanks!
My pleasure! Chapter 11 will be up soon!

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:43 am

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:43 pm

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:04 pm

Btw, forgot to put the captions commentary until just now. The Captions has been uploaded, and the video is now complete!

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:14 am

Alright guys, we made it... The Endgame

DBZ: Attack of the Saiyans Speedrun Route (4:37:42) - Chapter 14

THIS is what I've been waiting for. I've spent the entire game prepping for these fights, and I hope the text commentary reflects that. It is, after all, the first time in while we're I've commentated almost the whole entire thing.

Hope you enjoy! I really went all out on this one!

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:12 pm

Well, someone suggested I actually talk so... Here it is. My voice for all to hear.

DBZ: Attack of the Saiyans Speedrun Route (4:37:42) - Chapter 15

Hope you enjoy!

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:25 pm

This was great. Better with the voice commentary tbh!