Could a prequel game work? Idea thread.

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Could a prequel game work? Idea thread.

Post by SSJmole » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:31 pm

A lot of massive franchises have done one. Some examples Star wars Knights of the old republic and transformers war on Cybertn. Could a Dragonball one work? This was my idea feel free to add or suggest different

Title : Dragon Ball Saiyan pride!

Engine : updated kakarot engine.

Premise : You play as a new Saiyan on planet vegeta in its prime (possibly a friend of Bardock) Brand new cinematic story with Akira toriyama's help. Explore unseen worlds and help to take them over for the frieza force.

Features : Brand new 2D cutscenes. Online multiplayer (possibly a separate mode like mass effect did) , dlc ,. After you beat game rewatch the cutscenes like a movie. Loot drops that effect style ect... Play as a great ape (basically limited use but it's be like the ultimate help on a tough planet)

It could end on such a low too if it ends with the destruction of the planet as having spent so many hours for this new character seeing them die and feeling like everything you did was meaningless would add so much weight to that ending.

I wasn't sure if people would like this or not but adding lore that's not been seen before , new planets can be unique too like some can have increased gravity or giant monsters ect... Still keeping eating from kakarot and general gameplay rpg feeling but expanding it to be great. And as it's adding lore we could actually learn about frieza's race ect... If it's long enough we could learn about the ominous coaters in the pods and how they all came to be more than what we already know. We could give backstory to the ginyu force or zarbon.

All as it's brand new story and new character ect.... No one can complain about replaying same arcs ect... But it's also in a time that while unexplored does have a lot of recognisable characters to expand on from Bardock , king vegeta , Gine but also as stated all of the enemies we saw on namek arc.

Just a thought though.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Could a prequel game work? Idea thread.

Post by funrush » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:31 pm

I think the idea of an action RPG taking place during Planet Vegeta's peak is a really cool idea, to the point that I'm surprised they haven't done it yet. I guess because it would actually require a lot of work and planning whereas a lot of DB games are just kinda churned out. But if it used an updated version of the Kakarot engine with various QOL updates (Get rid of "I THINK I CAN HANDLE THIS"), and added gameplay mechanics, it could really be a great game not just for DB fans but in general.

One of my favorite parts about the Broly movie was getting the lore details about Cold running the planet or about the original scouters. I'd love to get a game that takes place when Bardock is a young man or something, maybe even before that if the story is interesting enough.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:17 pm

When Bardock is a young man would be cool. If it's as long as Kakarot he could be like the Gohan of the game where you watch him grow up and see his mentor ect... That's be awesome too.

I'll be honest after I typed idea I assumed most would hate it lol I'm glad you seemed to like idea.

Ongam

Post by Ongam » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:55 pm

This sounds like it'd be like a Knights of the Old Republic, showing saiyans at their peak in civilization before their destruction. I could really dig it. A game showing how King Vegeta's grandfather, King Vegeta the first, became king would be cool too. I know there's some retconning to deal with because originally, we thought King Vegeta was the first saiyan king, because GT explains he destroyed The Tuffles, and established the saiyan kingdom, but in the new Broly movie, I believe Vegeta is referred to as Vegeta IV? Making King Vegeta, Vegeta III, which means there were two King Vegetas before him, his father and grandfather?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:39 pm

I imagine an AAA Dragon Ball game would probably be a space RPG centred on the Saiyan race and its history.

Heck, it could even be a story set on old U7 Planet Sadala or a story which features more than a Saiyan protagonist throughout the eras of the race. Kind of like an Assassin’s Creed type of game, for how different parts of the history are connected? Those games are based on real-life events, with outcomes we already know but it doesn’t stop them from making interesting stories with fictional characters in those different parts of Earth’s history.

They could literally do EVERYTHING with ancient Saiyans. The only canonical things they would have to adhere to are: Planet Sadala and Planet Vegeta eventually both get destroyed; at some point in time, King Cold made Saiyans his slaves; there was a righteous legendary Super Saiyan called Yamoshi who died in a fight against many other Saiyans.

Just think about an RPG where you follow the story of a Saiyan from his childhood days. Maybe he could be an infiltration baby too? The tutorial may be about conquering said planet, and show some of his training as a children in preparation for the brutal conquest of the planet.
And then, once a full fledged Cold army soldier (or Freeza army, or it could even be set before Cold arrived and subjugated the Saiyan race), you go to different planets or tiny areas of planets and conquer them. They could even add stealth tactics!
With a high budget, great graphics and good gameplay what would stop such a game from being a great success? It shouldn’t even have to be in the tone of Toriyama’s Dragon Ball, as it may be a 18+ PG with an overall tone more similar to the Bardock’s special.

And I bet an Assassin’s Creed-esque game with flight and fist fights with ki blasts would be incredibly fun.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:13 pm

I know this might sound weird, but games about the history of the galactic patrol would be cool. A third person shooter or whatever following Jiya could be awesome. In fact I want all in universe Dragon Ball stories do be given love.

Jiya would be an epic space opera of an alien soldier fighting against ancient evil
Jaco the Galactic Patrol could be a fun classic jrpg in the same vein as Earthbound or Chrono Trigger with a party system and fun zany time travel plot
Kajika could be a fun open world rpg
Sand Land another option for a fun jrpg

HimuraBenny

Post by HimuraBenny » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:25 pm

open world planet vegeta medieval type RPG please

HimuraBenny

Post by HimuraBenny » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:44 pm

I wouldnt follow any character we know. I'd start way back with King Vegeta I and kind of like skyrim just go through dungeons or planet vegeta dungeon equivalents. I guess story wise we would have to have the "legendary super saiyan" as the power goal. What is boring is the whole ki blast situation, there has not really been any development (to my knowledge) about how moves are created, so i'd like to have versions of the Kamehameha or destructo disc, but having them in game to me would seem lazy.

Maybe, just maybe the kai who was eaten by buu could be like a spiritual messenger to our hero, and maybe some access to heaven/hell where our hero can learn from those before him/her. As a saiyan i guess the oozaru is the only power up available from the beginning, the time limit part would be annoying, also the moon thing.

If there would be lore to make within planet vegeta's political landscape, maybe some separate tribes control certain commodities, and the way to rule the tribe is by showing your strength.

HimuraBenny

Post by HimuraBenny » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:59 pm

emperior wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:39 pm I imagine an AAA Dragon Ball game would probably be a space RPG centred on the Saiyan race and its history.

Heck, it could even be a story set on old U7 Planet Sadala or a story which features more than a Saiyan protagonist throughout the eras of the race. Kind of like an Assassin’s Creed type of game, for how different parts of the history are connected? Those games are based on real-life events, with outcomes we already know but it doesn’t stop them from making interesting stories with fictional characters in those different parts of Earth’s history.

They could literally do EVERYTHING with ancient Saiyans.

And I bet an Assassin’s Creed-esque game with flight and fist fights with ki blasts would be incredibly fun.
I like the assassins creed approach, but i think tying the memories to current lore wouldnt be fun, especially since we know whats going to happen next. I think it limits creativity. But i think were we following Frieza's family, say between universe's (Frost for example) and there are glitches between universes, where artifacts from other universes are showing up and vice versa. Then it could be an interesting.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:49 pm

This would be a great Dragonball game IMO. The way Kakarot played would do great for an original story playing as a saiyan in the past or maybe you can play a saiyan, a namek and then another alien character and the stories converge eventually.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:16 pm

Long ago, I had a concept on the brain called "Dragon Ball Z: Saiyan Knights" that was basically this. I even wrote out a fairly detailed summary of gameplay concepts, mechanics, and scenarios.

For a while now, I've also been interested in a prequel starring Gohan. Yes, THAT Gohan. I envisioned it as this cartoon wuxia take on Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, with various of Earth's old martial arts masters training under Mutaito, facing off against demons (including Piccolo) and other antagonistic forces (like rival martial arts schools), and seeing current day Dragon Earth take form.

It'd end with an aged Gohan coming across that little monkey boy in the woods, naming him "Son Goku," and then roll credits set to a clip show of events in the series.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:10 pm

There's no reason why it wouldn't work. Like or don't like, GT and Super still make money, through merchandising. There's no reason why OG Dragonball couldn't do the same.

Imho though, liberties should be taken with the game story. Whether Adventure, RPG, or fighting genre, the story shouldn't start at the Hunt for the Dragonballs / Pilaf Arc, or even the 21st Budokai arc since after you finish, its Goku on his own for most of it. I say, take elements from all OG Dragonball material, and make a cohesive story, where the Red Ribbon Army is the main opponents for most of the story. As I think it. Bulma has one Ball, Red has the other Ball, Goku has his ball, and the remaining four balls are all over the world, and the path to get to all four have you meeting and fighting characters from the manga, anime, movies, maybe even the games, like this abomination. The 22nd, (The 21st being an optional tournament you can play in the revised arc) King Piccolo, and 23rd Budokai arcs would be more straightforward, though allowing open world exploration. The Dead Zone and World's Strongest Movies would be Post content, without Gohan, either him not being born yet, or Goku never mentioning him, that would mean a different way to deal with Garlic, but I think that's okay.