Could a Tournament of Power game work?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Could a Tournament of Power game work?

Post by Peach » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:22 pm

One where you choose your own custom roster?

I could just imagine picking Frieza and Future Trunks and their interactions. Or filling a team with Hercule, Saybaman, Monaka, and Yamcha.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Re: Could a Tournament of Power game work?

Post by SSJmole » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:29 pm

I could see it working if it was basically Xenoverse battle royal. I.e Dragonball version of the fortnite type games where you make squads out of anyone , get dropped into the map from tournament of power.

Make it F2P like fortnite ect... With outfits and different chapters to buy ect....

I could see it been ridiculously popular that way

Zamasu Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Zamasu Black » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:52 pm

No it would have no chance at all of working.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:54 pm

I think a hack-and-slash kind of game could work, but the focus of the game would probably have to be on the number of playable characters and their unique movesets. Make every fighter (or almost every fighter) playable and make them unique, or else I don't see how they'd make a game based around a singular event that lasts 48 minutes.

Ongam

Post by Ongam » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:50 pm

I'm hoping the Tournament of Power story is incorporated either into Xenoverse 3 or Fighterz 2, it's way too ambitious to do as DLC for either game, and it could be a selling hook for both games and could work in both since Fighterz and Xenoverse are known to feature big battles with multiple characters fighting at once.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:59 pm

You couldn't do it the way they do most games- it could never be DLC for something like Xenoverse or Kakarot for example. No flight means a different set of mechanics from the standard gameplay.

Assuming you're following the story with U7 as playable protagonists, the progression would be tough to deal with as well- it's a theoretically open arena, but you'd have to find a way to cordon it off so you approach the fights in a standard level of difficulty progression - no charging straight for Jiren and getting creamed at round start. And the enemies would be tough to deal with as well- 70 opponents in an area, all with unique designs, ranging from boss-level to worthless mooks, but even the mooks have a gimmick or two. No generic Freeza soldiers or Red Ribbon robots to pad out the numbers.

I'm not surprised the games haven't touched it yet- it would be too much effort for your standard cookie-cutter anime game developer to bother with.