After recent update, do you think a sequel for FighterZ can still happen?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

After recent update, do you think a sequel for FighterZ can still happen?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:28 am

As we enter season 3 of FighterZ, a major upgrade was taken to the meta and interface including selectable assist moves, changes to properties of character's moves, and redesign of the character and stage select screen. Do you think there's still room for a sequel?

I still think a sequel may come but not right away. It would probably at the Q4 of 2021 or the beginning of 2022... preferably the former.

Not much I can say for gameplay other than add things and make mechanical tweaks. Single player content and online netcoding could definitely use work.

Story Mode is a dull thrug that needs to be redone from the ground up and Arcade Mode is an unbalanced mess (not to mention it could use character-specific mini-stories). The netcoding for online doesn't fair much better as input lag and sudden connection loss still plague matches.

Also, ArcSystem Works is under contract with Namco Bandai and they definitely would want that extra ¥.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: After recent update, do you think a sequel for FighterZ can still happen?

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:11 am

I think good developers can always find ways to improve their games, so a sequel will happen. In terms of when, I don't think anytime soon, as XV3 is probably next, and that won't be out till late 2021 or early 2022.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:20 pm

Why couldn't it happen? It's one of the most successful games that developer has ever made.

I'm sure they have an idea for a new story and characters they didn't get a chance to include. Missing a lot of classics like Raditz, Hercule and the jet pack, Dabura, Super Buu, and Pikkon.

experted_luke

Post by experted_luke » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:37 pm

A sequel can definitely still happen. There's still tons of things that can be added.
Like you said, stories for an arcade mode for all the characters that don't have to be specific to the plot.
Costumes
More characters
More stages, as the current FighterZ really does lack with this, as the Dramatic Finish between UI Goku and Kefla is a huge example. Not that I care much, but the Dramatic Finish is located in space. Really thought they'd bring in the ToP in by now.
Fix minor connection issues
Improved Story mode. Android 21 wasn't really that cool, all she did was catch the eyes of those people who think seeing a pink woman with a tail and those weird Majin Buu pants is attractive.
This isn't all that can be added, but they should be prioritized if a sequel should happen. I personally am more fond of FighterZ than Xenoverse, because I always did like 2D fighting games. But, in my honest opinion, FighterZ seems more marketable to me.

:thumbup:

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:51 am

I don't think we'll get a sequel to Fighterz per se, because sequels for fighting games aren't the same anymore. We get patches monthly, giant update every 3 to 6 months, and DLC Characters would have been part of the Fighterz 2, and Fighterz 3 lineup back in the late 90s early 2000s.

This current season would be its own sequel 10 - 25 years ago

Now, will they make another Dragonball 3 x 3? Yeah. Throw out fighterz, rebuild from the ground up? Sure. But a sequel to Fighterz proper? Those aren't things anymore, at least from a hardware, physical standalone perspective.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:55 am

FoolsGil wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:51 am I don't think we'll get a sequel to Fighterz per se, because sequels for fighting games aren't the same anymore. We get patches monthly, giant update every 3 to 6 months, and DLC Characters would have been part of the Fighterz 2, and Fighterz 3 lineup back in the late 90s early 2000s.

This current season would be its own sequel 10 - 25 years ago

Now, will they make another Dragonball 3 x 3? Yeah. Throw out fighterz, rebuild from the ground up? Sure. But a sequel to Fighterz proper? Those aren't things anymore, at least from a hardware, physical standalone perspective.
It's true that an update like Season 3 might've had its own standalone release in the 90s, but releases of that kind aren't really called sequels. They'd be called installments, updates, versions or editions. Expansion packs in another genre. SF3 was a sequel to SF2; Third Strike wasn't a sequel to SF3. And they're not a relic of the past, either: SF5 just did one, SF4 had three, Xrd had two, MKXL and so on.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:54 pm

While we do have pretty much every heavy hitter the series has to offer, there are still plenty of game play changes that can be improved to the point that a sequel is warranted. Like more defensive options for starters, not a big fan of "Block Forever". Plus experimentation is always a thing, the devs might have some ideas in mind that they want to try for a sequel.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:55 am

I don't really see anything additional they could do with the game that couldn't easily be done with an update or DLC. IMO, we probably won't see a new version of the game or a "sequel" until the next generation of consoles are released and they can use the new hardware to make it look even better, although it's hard to imagine the game looking much better than it already does.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:36 am

Gran Blue and Strive look better than Fighterz, that’s not a knock on the game but a testament to just how capable Arcys System Works really is.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:34 pm

I know it's not the same developer, but I'd love to see a "Super Dragon Ball FighterZ Turbo" just to see it exist.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.