If characters from Dragon Ball appeared as Guest Characters in Mortal Kombat or Injustice

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Tai Lung
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1472
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:38 pm

If characters from Dragon Ball appeared as Guest Characters in Mortal Kombat or Injustice

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:58 am

If characters from Dragon Ball appeared as Guest Characters in Mortal Kombat or Injustice ...

Image

Image

Which characters from Dragon Ball would you choose to appear in the games?
What would you make them do for their two "Fatality" finishers?
What would you do for their endings if you won the entire game with them - beating the final boss?
Last edited by Tai Lung on Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Xeogran
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1976
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:04 am
Contact:

Re: If characters from Dragon Ball appeared as Guest Characters in Mortal Kombat or Injustice

Post by Xeogran » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:35 am

I think that Frieza would fit MK the most, he often gets his limbs torn :lol:
But otherwise, the concept of Fatality doesn't fit DB characters. It's too brutal.
Last edited by Xeogran on Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LoganForkHands73
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 293
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:54 pm

Re: If characters from Dragon Ball appeared as Guest Characters in Mortal Kombat or Injustice

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:37 am

Personally, I don't think Netherrealm could do any anime character justice, let alone Dragon Ball characters. The quality of animations in recent games have improved, but they're still nowhere near the standard of other prestige fighting game titles. Besides, their whole "realistic" aesthetic is really not catered to highly stylised character designs, especially from non-Western franchises. Considering how little NRS games have appealed to Japanese markets, Japanese companies really don't seem to have any interest in collaborating with them. Netherrealm's attempt to make Hellboy look like he leapt out of an original Mike Mignola comic in Injustice 2 backfired horribly imo, so the idea of an Akira Toriyama-designed character in one of these games would probably look vomit-inducing (think Jump Force on crack). On the same token, while a Dragon Ball character could conceivably fit into the slapstick combat of Injustice, there's no way in hell anyone would let Goku's eyes get poked out in Mortal Kombat.

In terms of guest character representation, NRS have a really spotty track record. Sometimes they more-or-less nail it, like with Robocop in MK11 recently, but there's usually still some kind of drawback, like the characters are really boring to play or their animations look especially trashy. Robocop animating like a janky robot makes more sense than Spawn doing the same. In general, NRS seem way too preoccupied with appealing to dude-bro audiences with all these guest character choices.

Sorry, rant over. I would be enthusiastic about Dragon Ball characters appearing in other Arc System Works fighting games. There's rumours about a guest character potentially appearing in Guilty Gear STRIVE. As it is more of a weapons-oriented fighter, Trunks with his sword would fit in excellently. I unironically wouldn't mind Goku appearing in Smash Bros either, seeing as he's got a storied history in the video game medium ever since the Red Ribbon Army arc (Masako Nozawa holds the world record for voicing a video game character the longest). Lastly, even though it may seem hypocritical considering Tekken 7 is more of a "realistic" fighter, Namco have nailed more stylised character designs in the past (hell, Gon got in Tekken 3) and they have a pedigree for representing them perfectly. I once imagined how Vegeta would work in Tekken - they'd probably bring over mechanics from FighterZ such as Vanish and super-dashing... he'd be broken as hell though :lol:
I am 999 years old. I don't give a f--

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13476
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: If characters from Dragon Ball appeared as Guest Characters in Mortal Kombat or Injustice

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:32 am

For story and dialogue, I feel like using Freeza would probably fit the most. He has the most striking dialogue and design that I think would make for the most interesting conversations, unless they're willing to have Son Gokuu go all-out and be poisonous by not being antagonistic toward the evil characters.
She/Her | Practice self-care.

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16593
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: If characters from Dragon Ball appeared as Guest Characters in Mortal Kombat or Injustice

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:43 pm

Agreed on Freeza probably being the best and only fit for a Netherrealm crossover (and even then, as noted, I just don't think the aesthetics could be adapted in a way that works, with Jump Force indeed being the horrifying closest equivalent).

His obvious fatality would be the telekinetic explosion used on Kuririn; maybe a series of consecutive Death Beams for another. Lots of good keep-away moves for distancing, like rocks and beams and such (a la FighterZ).

If Dragon Ball ultimately had to cross-over with something and there was a gun to my head about it, I'd probably just cave and say Street Fighter, though. Honestly would just rather see a proper Jump (BLANK) Stars sequel :lol: .
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

User avatar
LoganForkHands73
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 293
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:54 pm

Re: If characters from Dragon Ball appeared as Guest Characters in Mortal Kombat or Injustice

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:27 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:43 pm
Agreed on Freeza probably being the best and only fit for a Netherrealm crossover (and even then, as noted, I just don't think the aesthetics could be adapted in a way that works, with Jump Force indeed being the horrifying closest equivalent).

His obvious fatality would be the telekinetic explosion used on Kuririn; maybe a series of consecutive Death Beams for another. Lots of good keep-away moves for distancing, like rocks and beams and such (a la FighterZ).

If Dragon Ball ultimately had to cross-over with something and there was a gun to my head about it, I'd probably just cave and say Street Fighter, though. Honestly would just rather see a proper Jump (BLANK) Stars sequel :lol: .
Jump Force is still quite baffling to me. The generic semi-realistic graphics felt like such a cheap marketing gimmick. The game could have been visually salvageable if they kept a similar cel-shaded aesthetic to J-Stars Victory VS, but tweaked and improved with new enhancements. J-Stars was great! It was a simple, loving tribute to a magazine's vast library of characters and stories - I'm not sure what Jump Force was trying to achieve in comparison.

If any characters absolutely had to be in an NRS game, then Frieza as well as Gero, Cell and Super Buu may be the only candidates who can come even close to keeping up with the ultraviolent aesthetic of MK. Even then, I can't say I'd be too comfortable with seeing them get flayed and disembowelled in such horrific detail, even if the latter two can regenerate. There's only a few times when Dragon Ball has reached anything close to that level of viscera, like when Frieza got cut in half by his own discs or Dr. Gero decapitating a guy with his bare hands - though if I remember rightly, the anime toned down scenes like that. With Injustice, more or less any Dragon Ball character could work, but I don't think the gameplay engine can convey the sense of speed, power and momentum to do the characters justice (hahaha)

It's also kinda funny that Street Fighter is really the only fighting game series left that has kept "integrity" by not indulging in guest characters. The closest they've had is Zeku being able to fully transform into a Strider.
I am 999 years old. I don't give a f--

SSJgogeto
Regular
Posts: 614
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:11 pm

Re: If characters from Dragon Ball appeared as Guest Characters in Mortal Kombat or Injustice

Post by SSJgogeto » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:11 pm

I always thought about Mercenary Tao in MK.

User avatar
Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6016
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 am

Re: If characters from Dragon Ball appeared as Guest Characters in Mortal Kombat or Injustice

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:30 am

How about Majin Buu? He could do the fatality where he becomes liquid and flows into the opponent's mouth and they explode.

Although doing various fatalities on him might look weird because of how his body works.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

User avatar
Yuli Ban
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 452
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:07 am
Location: New Orleans, LA
Contact:

Re: If characters from Dragon Ball appeared as Guest Characters in Mortal Kombat or Injustice

Post by Yuli Ban » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:06 pm

Dragon Ball's a bit too childish for Mortal Kombat, unfortunately. It never really indulged in that over the top ultraviolence outside of a few choice moments because, even though this was 80s Japan, it was still made for little kids. It's like Sonic the Hedgehog and the Mario cast appearing in a Tomb Raider or Prince of Persia game— tonally mismatched despite ostensibly being the same genre.

Hokuto no Ken or even Yu Yu Hakusho, I can see. But Dragon Ball is squarely "elementary school children" tier. I mean, so are those other two, but their target demographic is just a tad bit older altogether.

Dragon Ball Z's the kind of show that has characters appearing in goofy school supply adverts, giving lessons about crossing the street safely and following street signals, and telling you to eat your veggies. That also just happens to have bubblegum Eldritch abominations and sexual predators and a possibly sexually sadistic space Hitler often molesting muscly men wearing spandex. It's not meant for the likes of Mortal Kombat.

"But didn't Cersei and Tyrion meet Elmo from Sesame Street that one time?"

...... Get out.
STRONGEST UNDER HEAVEN
Coming soon!

User avatar
DBZAOTA482
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6462
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:04 pm
Contact:

Re: If characters from Dragon Ball appeared as Guest Characters in Mortal Kombat or Injustice

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:58 am

The only suitable characters are Freeza, Dr. Gero, Cell, and Super Boo.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am
I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

User avatar
FoolsGil
I Live Here
Posts: 4255
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: If characters from Dragon Ball appeared as Guest Characters in Mortal Kombat or Injustice

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:26 am

Only Cell would fit in Mortal Kombat, because his fatalities wouldn't be atomizing a person, or turning them into chocolate. Even a beam of energy that didn't eviscerate, it would be so quick, there'd be loss impact. No with Cell It would be disgusting, and gross and nasty.

I would personally want this to Imperfect Cell, so he would have a wish to keep absorbing people.

Fatality 1, he absorbs you through his tail, like that rich guy in the anime. And it's just as gruesome, if not more so. Netherrealm knows what to do. And in the event of fighting a cyborg/android/robot, he absorbs their skin, and their robot body, the lights go out on their body to signify death.

Fatality 2, he uses the absorption he did to 17 and 18. And his body will transform and take on the characteristics of who he absorbed. For example, with Reptile, Cell absorbing him, Celltile will look like Reptile from Mortal Kombat 4.

Image

*shudders* fucking goosebumps :shock:

If Cell were to win, he'd probably get so much power he'd be able to kick off the programming restraints of wishing to absorb 17 and 18, and kill Goku. But he's still a monster, so he'll terrorize the realms like a fucking bogeyman, clearing out settlement after settlement, civilization after civilization, and having fun with it.
Dragonball Exiles Chapter One. Chapter Two In Production.

User avatar
Cold Skin
I Live Here
Posts: 2294
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:09 pm
Location: France

Re: If characters from Dragon Ball appeared as Guest Characters in Mortal Kombat or Injustice

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:31 pm

For Injustice, it is limited in violence so it could be the heroes.

For Mortal Kombat, it would definately be the bad guys.
But the Japanese rightholders wouldn't allow it anyway, they wouldn't want the characters to be associated with explicit, gruesome violent scenes. Even the bones breaking during the X-ray sequences would be too much for them to show.

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6202
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: If characters from Dragon Ball appeared as Guest Characters in Mortal Kombat or Injustice

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:39 pm

In Injustice I would like to see Daishinkan (and to be part of the story). How well would the DC characters fare against the strongest in Dragon Ball?

In Mortal Kombat, well probably Freeza's the best choice for obvious reasons.

User avatar
DBZAOTA482
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6462
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:04 pm
Contact:

Re: If characters from Dragon Ball appeared as Guest Characters in Mortal Kombat or Injustice

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:56 pm

Yuli Ban wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:06 pm
Dragon Ball's a bit too childish for Mortal Kombat, unfortunately. It never really indulged in that over the top ultraviolence outside of a few choice moments because, even though this was 80s Japan, it was still made for little kids. It's like Sonic the Hedgehog and the Mario cast appearing in a Tomb Raider or Prince of Persia game— tonally mismatched despite ostensibly being the same genre.

Hokuto no Ken or even Yu Yu Hakusho, I can see. But Dragon Ball is squarely "elementary school children" tier. I mean, so are those other two, but their target demographic is just a tad bit older altogether.

Dragon Ball Z's the kind of show that has characters appearing in goofy school supply adverts, giving lessons about crossing the street safely and following street signals, and telling you to eat your veggies. That also just happens to have bubblegum Eldritch abominations and sexual predators and a possibly sexually sadistic space Hitler often molesting muscly men wearing spandex. It's not meant for the likes of Mortal Kombat.

"But didn't Cersei and Tyrion meet Elmo from Sesame Street that one time?"

...... Get out.
It might be for kids by Japan's standards but for Americans, DBZ is at least for tweens/teens and young adults.

Also, the comparison to Mario and Sonic is absurd because those two franchise have little-to-no adult content.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am
I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

User avatar
Tai Lung
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1472
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: If characters from Dragon Ball appeared as Guest Characters in Mortal Kombat or Injustice

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:56 pm

by the way how to interpret this that ed boon said?

https://twitter.com/noobde/status/1258034892472037378

User avatar
Peach
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 363
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:57 am

Re: If characters from Dragon Ball appeared as Guest Characters in Mortal Kombat or Injustice

Post by Peach » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:55 am

I don't think Dragon Ball characters fit in that style.

The guy from Berserk might fit though

User avatar
Melee_Sovereign
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:43 am

Re: If characters from Dragon Ball appeared as Guest Characters in Mortal Kombat or Injustice

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:40 pm

I think Imperfect Cell would fit perfectly (no pun intended) in Mortal Kombat. He's got the right look for MK, and dude could literally liquefy and absorb people with his tail as a Fatality (among other things). And I think his look can work in more realistic art styles.

Image

I could see Moro working too.

User avatar
LoganForkHands73
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 293
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:54 pm

Re: If characters from Dragon Ball appeared as Guest Characters in Mortal Kombat or Injustice

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:52 pm

Tai Lung wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:56 pm
by the way how to interpret this that ed boon said?

https://twitter.com/noobde/status/1258034892472037378
It's a pun on Dead or Alive, another fighting game series developed by Team Ninja (then carrying on with Street Fighter and Dragon Ball FighterZ). Ed Boon doesn't have any control over those IPs, it's just his usual Twitter trolling. :D
I am 999 years old. I don't give a f--

User avatar
FoolsGil
I Live Here
Posts: 4255
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: If characters from Dragon Ball appeared as Guest Characters in Mortal Kombat or Injustice

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:13 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:52 pm
Tai Lung wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:56 pm
by the way how to interpret this that ed boon said?

https://twitter.com/noobde/status/1258034892472037378
It's a pun on Dead or Alive, another fighting game series developed by Team Ninja (then carrying on with Street Fighter and Dragon Ball FighterZ). Ed Boon doesn't have any control over those IPs, it's just his usual Twitter trolling. :D
Robocop in Fighterz confirmed :D
Dragonball Exiles Chapter One. Chapter Two In Production.

User avatar
Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 14026
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: If characters from Dragon Ball appeared as Guest Characters in Mortal Kombat or Injustice

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:23 pm

I think Freeza would be only the one that I can see fitting in MK. It would be cool and funny seeing him interact with the characters.

Freeza: You remind me of another monk that I've killed
Kung Lao: You won't be killing me so easily

On a serious note, I doubt it will ever happen. The only character that I can see working in Injustice would be Gohan as the Great Saiyaman or Jiren because they are both superheroes.
PS4 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Hellspawn28
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GS27/

Post Reply