Has FighterZ made Budokai 3 obsolete?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Has FighterZ made Budokai 3 obsolete?

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:11 pm

Budokai 3 used to be seen as the epitome of Dragon Ball fighting games, but pretty much everyone agrees that FighterZ has the far superior combat system. Does that make B3 redundant, or is there anything people would argue that it actually does better compared to FighterZ?

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Has FighterZ made Budokai 3 obsolete?

Post by Yuli Ban » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:22 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:11 pm Budokai 3 used to be seen as the epitome of Dragon Ball fighting games, but pretty much everyone agrees that FighterZ has the far superior combat system. Does that make B3 redundant, or is there anything people would argue that it actually does better compared to FighterZ?
I'll derail this thread instantly by saying that most people who said Budokai 3 was the epitome of DB fighting games probably never played Super Dragon Ball Z; SDBZ smoked Budokai 3 every which way as a fighter, lacking only the extras like what-ifs and fusions.
FighterZ is already vastly superior to SDBZ at that, which was already a better fighting game than Budokai 3, so I can't see any other way to put Budokai 3 > FighterZ except in matters of personal preference.

I can't even say that Budokai 3 is a better "Dragon Ball Z Simulator" because of all the extra stuff we've gotten for FighterZ since release, and the fact it has an original story rather than retelling the Z story also earns it many brownie points.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:10 am

Not really. They're vastly different games.

FighterZ is pretty much Marvel vs. Capcom with Dragon Ball characters. Budokai is a 3D fighting game like Tekken or Virtual Fighter but a thing of its own.

It doesn't make Budokai obsolete. It may be better competitively but Budokai is better for that raw DBZ feel and single-player content.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:19 am

Yuli Ban wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:22 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:11 pm Budokai 3 used to be seen as the epitome of Dragon Ball fighting games, but pretty much everyone agrees that FighterZ has the far superior combat system. Does that make B3 redundant, or is there anything people would argue that it actually does better compared to FighterZ?
I'll derail this thread instantly by saying that most people who said Budokai 3 was the epitome of DB fighting games probably never played Super Dragon Ball Z; SDBZ smoked Budokai 3 every which way as a fighter, lacking only the extras like what-ifs and fusions.
FighterZ is already vastly superior to SDBZ at that, which was already a better fighting game than Budokai 3, so I can't see any other way to put Budokai 3 > FighterZ except in matters of personal preference.

I can't even say that Budokai 3 is a better "Dragon Ball Z Simulator" because of all the extra stuff we've gotten for FighterZ since release, and the fact it has an original story rather than retelling the Z story also earns it many brownie points.
A lot of people don't like Super Dragon Ball Z. It tried to push itself as a hardcore fighting game so it did away with a lot of DBZ staples and still ended shallow compared to the games it was trying to be like.

It also had no story mode and its roster was small even by regular fighting game standards.

FighterZ may have an original story but the Story Mode is a boring slog so there's not much reason to invest in it unless you're a huge fan of Dragon Ball.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:23 am

The only thing that made Budokai obsolete is the inability to play its best versions (IMO Shin Budokai 2 and Inifinite World) online in any official capacity.

Even if FighterZ wasn't as good as it is, the fact that I can that I can easily play a variety of people without suffering through badly implement rollback netcode like Xenoverse is a blessing.

(Also going to agree with the Yuli Ban, Super DBZ was already a much better fighting game than Budokai 3 anyway, it just wasn't as out there.)
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:19 am
A lot of people don't like Super Dragon Ball Z. It tried to push itself as a hardcore fighting game so it did away with a lot of DBZ staples and still ended shallow compared to the games it was trying to be like.
Which, hum, isn't true? SDBZ was deep in 2005 and it only got deeper as the years went by, specially since the its Japanese community revival in recent years.

It came out to die in the West due to its release window, for sure. But to say that it didn't do what it set out to do is wrong.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:29 pm

Quebaz wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:23 am Which, hum, isn't true? SDBZ was deep in 2005 and it only got deeper as the years went by, specially since the its Japanese community revival in recent years.

It came out to die in the West due to its release window, for sure. But to say that it didn't do what it set out to do is wrong.
It's an opinion but it did notably received mixed reception when it came out. Most people who played it for all its worth did come to like it but a lot of DBZ fans dismissed it because it wasn't super flashy or have 100 characters like Tenkaichi and hardcore fighting game fans found it too simple.

It did succeed in what it sought out to do to an extent but the competitive scene for it is small potatoes compared to actual eSports fighting games.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

RichardKing2
Beyond Newbie

Post by RichardKing2 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:50 pm

Dimps can't make a half decent fighting game, can't make a decent xenoverse game, and even Legends has several flaws which make it frustrating to play and tolerate.

FighterZ making Budokai 3 obsolete is not an accomplishment, sadly. Because Dimps was never that good in the first place, and the story mode for B3 was never that great either. IMO

But yes, FighterZ has made B3 obselete. It's made all the budokais and yes even infinite world obsolete. I hate the budokai series for holding us back so much and a game like FighterZ is proof you can have a decent fighting system with standard single player content. Fighterz doesn't have the best story, but atleast it tried to do something new and different.

Budokai is like eating well done steak

FighterZ is high class good quality rare/medium rare steak

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:53 pm

Hot take from me then: Budokais 1 thru 3 is like eating a Salisbury's steak; FighterZ is eating an actual steak, let alone one that's medium rare.
The Yabanverse

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:45 pm

Overall, Yes, but that shouldn't take anything away from Budokai 3, as it was nearly 15 years old by the time FighterZ came out.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:43 pm

For fans of DBZ media, probably. For fighting game aficionados? no.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:23 am

To my knowledge, Budokai was never played hyper competitively and was just popular among DBZ fans who also happened to be into video games. Fighterz is targeted at fans of more "hardcore" Fighterz. It can't really replace anything, because it's filling a hole Budokai 3 wasn't even in.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:50 am

Ringworm128 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:23 am To my knowledge, Budokai was never played hyper competitively and was just popular among DBZ fans who also happened to be into video games. Fighterz is targeted at fans of more "hardcore" Fighterz. It can't really replace anything, because it's filling a hole Budokai 3 wasn't even in.
Budoksi only ever had a really small competitive scene. It's covered quite a bit of ground over the years but still remains obscure.

FighterZ is the first to make major waves across both the DB playerbase and fighting game community.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:23 am

Budokai 3 handles transformations / fusions much better.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:46 am

Psajdak wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:23 am Budokai 3 handles transformations / fusions much better.
The difference being FighterZ is an online competitive fighting game first, and a Dragon Ball game second. You can't balance a game with a bunch of characters having shitloads of powerups, while others don't, so they made specific forms as characters.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:39 am

They're really different games and I like them both.

Some things I like about B3 that aren't featured in FighterZ
  • Both games have a great roster but B3 still has some "exclusive" characters such as Satan, Great Saiyman, Uub, Gogeta SSJ4, Goku SSJ4, Vegeta SSJ4,, Majin Vegeta, Omega Shenron, Kid Gohan, Dabura, Goten, Trunks and Raditz. Yes I know the Fighterz characters are more fleshed out but the B3 characters suffice for a quick game or 2.
  • B3 has great looking hand drawn menu's that evoke more of a DB feel with unique looking menu's with voiceovers and all..
  • Original hand drawn intro with Kageyama song > Generic fighterz intro
  • Plagarized but awesome...B3's soundtrack.
    • B3 has a ton on costumes.
    • I still really like the animations of the ultimate moves in B3 a lot
    • B3 has in game transformations and fusions
    • The Story mode in B3, while sparse on presentation, is a lot more fun to play through, especially the what-ifs. The Fighterz story mode had potential but turned out to be a drag and essentially a worse version of B2's story mode
    • Not Fighterz's fault but B3 had Daisuke Goro as Satan and the subsequent Satan voices don't even come close.
    Mechanically Fighterz is a better game but B3 provides a lot of fan service and I really like it as a "DBZ experience" so to speak.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:24 pm

Budokai 3 has been obsolete since 2008 when Infinite World came out. Unless you consistently play with other people, that Dragon Rush nonsense is inexcusable, and the CPU loves to spam it.

FighterZ is the better fighting game, but it completely lacks soul and takes the "generic guitar licks" route for its music like Dragon Ball games have done fairly consistently since Burst Limit. So yeah... apples and oranges unless your criteria is strictly fighting game-ness.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:06 am

FoolsGil wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:43 pm For fans of DBZ media, probably. For fighting game aficionados? no.
Precisely. Because for fighting game aficionados, Budokai 3 isn't a thing at all. To the hardcore, it's just another "2000s anime fighting game" that they might chuckle at and remember nostalgically before going back to exploiting every quirk of FighterZ's game logic in tournaments.

I'll still take a Budokai 4 (or 5, perhaps?) if they ever make one as some comfort food anime fighter.
The Yabanverse

sskura

Post by sskura » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:11 am

no because fighterz is a fighting game first and foremost and the dragon ball comes after. Budokai is the reverse of this, which is why it gives a better feel of the show even while not being as mechanically solid.

- guy who got bored of fighterz quickly and would kill for a bt3 hd/bt4

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:59 am

Yuli Ban wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:06 am
FoolsGil wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:43 pm For fans of DBZ media, probably. For fighting game aficionados? no.
Precisely. Because for fighting game aficionados, Budokai 3 isn't a thing at all. To the hardcore, it's just another "2000s anime fighting game" that they might chuckle at and remember nostalgically before going back to exploiting every quirk of FighterZ's game logic in tournaments.

I'll still take a Budokai 4 (or 5, perhaps?) if they ever make one as some comfort food anime fighter.
Most of those people who dismissed it probably never actually learned how to play it at all.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:07 am

Yuli Ban wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:06 am

Out of my closeknit friends, I'm the most hardcore Dragonball Fan. My friends watched the Z Anime and the OG Movies and that's it. However, we are all hardcore videogame fans. And they like Budokai 3 a lot. (I prefer 2 myself)