What was your first game in the franchise?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

What was your first game in the franchise?

Post by Yuli Ban » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:11 am

I started humbly with Legacy of Goku back around 2002. This was around the time Toonami was feeling nostalgic for the shift from Kids WB to Cartoon Network, so they replayed the Ocean dub Saiyan and Namek arcs at least twice, which is when I got the game (secondhand as a kid at my school just gave it to me; didn't even sell it, just wanted it off his hands).

This means... Ugh... Legacy of Goku was my first ever introduction to Super Saiyan.

Yep. Outside the clipshow intro to the DBZ dub showing short flashes of it, the first time I ever encountered Super Saiyan was at the end of Legacy of Goku. I distinctly remember not even knowing if his voice changed as well as thinking "Oh cool, Goku looks like Vegeta now" due to the skyward hair.

I remember liking the game at the time... Until I played Legacy of Goku 2 and subsequently never touched part one again.

My favorite thing to do was just explore the open hubs whenever I could. And I distinctly remember a guide (maybe the instruction manual) saying you could kick. I nearly broke my GBA's buttons trying to find the combination to kick. I even thought I remember a character kicking, completely with a scummy, crunched
soundclip. But that was a lie. Or not a lie, but a promotional bit greatly overselling how action packed the game was.

The only thing I liked about the game even after turning on it is that there were some decent musical tracks, mainly the battle theme of the Saiyans and Freeza.

All in all, a pitiful first showing that only an inexperienced sheltered 8 year old could like.

Bonus!

My first PS2 game was Budokai Tenkaichi 2/Sparking! NEO (in fact, it might have literally been my first PS2 game period) (the first PS2 game I'd ever played on MY OWN PS2, I should clarify; my first PS2 game ever was either GTA 3 or Kingdom Hearts well over half a decade prior).
That gave me hundreds of hours of fun and fanfiction. I never played Sparking! METEOR/Tenkaichi 3. And while I eventually got around to the Budokai series, that was a decade after they were still hot. Tenkaichi 2 remains my favorite.

My first Super Famicom game was Super Butoden 2, downloaded untranslated sometime back in 2004. I never played the story mode; I just unlocked Broly and slammed everyone with him. That's also the first time I've ever heard "Kakarotto" or learned that the series was fully Japanese in origin. As a result of playing that game I learned Goku's name is Son Goku... But the damn Angelfire site didn't understand that Japanese names work by Surname-Familiar Name (Last Name - First Name by Western standards) so I thought it was Goku Son. Which... It is. But put that way, my 9 year old brain thought "Son" was literally "son" and was confused as all hell.
Last edited by Yuli Ban on Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Re: What was your first game in the franchise?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:15 am

The first game I remember seeing was Legendary Super Warriors for the gameboy color but the first (official) Dragon Ball game I played was the first Budokai.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:26 pm

I think it was Ultimate Battle 22 on PS1, which I didn't enjoy that much, it bored me pretty soon, I didn't enjoy much DBZ games when I was a kid. When I got Final Bout, in japanese only, I had no idea who the characters were. The anime airing on TV at that time was nowhere near the Buu arc let alone GT, so that game went right by me, there was a kid SS Goku, a girl, Trunks was back, a huge golden ape, a red monkey. The first game I truly enjoyed was Dragon Ball Z: Idainaru Dragon Ball Densetsu.

In PS2 the first game I played was DBZ Sagas. I got a lot of fun out of that game, even though it hasn't aged very well.

Locust
Beyond Newbie

Post by Locust » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:22 pm

If I recall correct, my first game of this series was Dragon Ball Kai: Saiyan Invasion
I still really like this game a lot, it's a solid RPG
"I just wanna punch god in the face"
My English can be weak, please forgive mistakes/confusingly phrased sentences
Letterboxd

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:10 am

I believe it was Budokai 1 on Gamecube. Followed by Buu's Fury.

I never had PS2 so i didnt get Budokai 2 and 3 till much later. But then I explicitly remember buying a PS2 solely for BT1 when that was brand new.

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:30 pm

Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Battle 22 | Playstation 1

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:43 pm

Dragon Ball GT: Final Bout on PS1. It along with watching Broly Second Coming were some of my earliest dips into Dragon Ball, just a little before BoG came out. Clunky, yes, but I enjoyed it enough to watch GT and get more into the franchise as a result.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:19 am

A PC port of Dragon Ball Z Super Saiya Densetsu, don't think it had a translation mod, so I played by intuition

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:17 pm

I believe I bought Budokai 1, Tenkaichi 1 and Legacy of Goku 1 all from eBay on the same day back in 2007.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:26 pm

It was Final Bout.
Then The Legend and Ultimate Battle 22.

So basically all of PS1 games. After that i moved into GameBoy emulators.
Koitsukai wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:26 pm I think it was Ultimate Battle 22 on PS1, which I didn't enjoy that much, it bored me pretty soon, I didn't enjoy much DBZ games when I was a kid. When I got Final Bout, in japanese only, I had no idea who the characters were. The anime airing on TV at that time was nowhere near the Buu arc let alone GT, so that game went right by me, there was a kid SS Goku, a girl, Trunks was back, a huge golden ape, a red monkey. The first game I truly enjoyed was Dragon Ball Z: Idainaru Dragon Ball Densetsu.

In PS2 the first game I played was DBZ Sagas. I got a lot of fun out of that game, even though it hasn't aged very well.
UB22 sucked ass, let's be honest. It was awful.
I knew all Final Bout characters by the time i got japanese version of it, i already watched both DBZ and GT.
For "Idainaru Dragon Ball Densetsu" aka "The Legend" i still consider it one of the greatest DB titles ever released.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:43 am

My first ever Dragon Ball game was Dragon Ball GT Final Bout lmao I thought at the time the game was amazing but with retrospect nah tho good memories. ♥
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Kaywayk

Post by Kaywayk » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:07 pm

My first game (and really, my first introduction to the franchise, outside of some brief glimpses I caught on TV) was Budokai Tenkaichi 1 on ps2.

I actually really loved it. The gameplay was fast and flashy, which was enough to grab my attention. I didn't know anything about the plot of the show so I'd replay story mode fights over and over again, trying to piece together the plot from the pre-fight dialogues (which I could barely understand as the game didn't have an option for my language).

Years later I found out 3 completely blows it out the water; by that point my disk was too scratched to play so I never went back to it.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:25 pm

DBZ Legends on the PS1. I just moved into a new house and a neighbor of mine had a PS1 with swap magic that allows him to play Japanese games. It was the first time that I probably heard Goku's voice in Japanese and I didn't care to be honest if Goku sound like a woman.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:59 pm

My first experience with Dragon Ball in video game form (this distinction matters) was playing a modded version of Pokémon Yellow with a Dragon Ball Z mod using NO$GMB on PC. It obviously didn't work very well at all, but I remember Mewtwo being changed to Freeza which kinda makes sense. :P Eventually I got my hands on the Quake II Arena mod, Bid for Power, and the Half-Life mod, Earth's Special Forces. Shortly thereafter I learned about the Famicom/Super Famicom games stuff and the rest is history.

My first proper game on its native platform though would have been Legacy of Goku because I believe that was the first Infogrames outing for the franchise.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:09 pm

I want you to imagine living in 1995, in a foreign country like Greece, where there is no internet yet at that time. Imagine watching a dragon ball dub every weekend, imagine that you have NO WAY of knowing how popular this anime is in the world and figure it's just another anime which you personally, your brother and a friend of yours got to love a lot, but no one else really gives a fuck.

Imagine having watched up to the Red Ribbon saga so far. Not even Piccolo Daimao's arc.

Now, imagine getting a PC gaming magazine, which comes with a CD filled with official and unofficial game demos. Imagine using DOS (no windows yet back then). Imagine typing dir/w, and looking at folders like 'achelon', 'pwrdrum', 'doom', and then ... a folder is called 'dragball'.

Imagine your heart skipping a beat. Imagine saying, 'nah ... it couldn't be ... there are no dragon ball games ...'

Imagine running the demo and it's a demo of an indie Dragon Ball game with the only characters being renamed Goku (23rd Tournament) and Krillin. And despite being nearly unplayable, you lose your shit. Because it's your favorite anime as a video game, and as far as you know, there aren't any others. That was my first experience.

The next were Final Bout, then emulated NES/SNES/Genesis DBZ games (when I finally got internet), then Ultimate Battle 22 and Legends (imported from America when I finally got internet), then ... the Atari games (Budokai and the rest). Good games. Good times. I lost my shit when I learned that Dragon Ball was amazingly popular and that there were like 30 DBZ games.

BlackMagicianX

Post by BlackMagicianX » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:51 am

First game was Ultimate Battle 22. It was... something. But I enjoyed playing it. I also had the Legend. Both on the PS1.
pfp from @nekurodayo on twitter

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:02 pm

Dragon Ball Z: Buyū Retsuden for the Sega Mega Drive. Unfortunately it was only in japanese, so it was hard to navigate the menus, but it had great gameplay and a nice character roster to choose from.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:35 am

Super Butouden 3.. on an emulator. It was an amazing experience when I first saw the intro with 3D-looking World Tournament arena and Goku standing on it, doing the Kamehameha. Pure excitement :shock:

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:00 pm

Budokai 1 on the PS2. Vividly remember having trouble defeating Perfect Cell for a week and ended up getting a friend to beat him for me. Next was Legacy of Goku 1, I really loved it at the time, played for countless hours.