Are there any Dragon Ball Super games?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Are there any Dragon Ball Super games?

Post by jamiljamtheman » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:47 pm

One of my favorite parts of SDBH on switch is that the arcade mode has campaigns for each arc of Dragon Ball Super. So many games seem to focus on the Z sagas or what if stories that usually focus on excuses to fight the DBZ characters and villains. It is refreshing to have a game that includes such an emphasis on the new Super characters, sagas, and battles.

Are there any DB video games yet besides SDBH (I love and play it a lot, but the charge impacts and cheap bosses can become rather frustrating) that take a dive into Dragon Ball Super? If not, I look forward to the day those kind of games come!

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Are there any Dragon Ball Super games?

Post by Yuli Ban » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:32 pm

jamiljamtheman wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:47 pm One of my favorite parts of SDBH on switch is that the arcade mode has campaigns for each arc of Dragon Ball Super. So many games seem to focus on the Z sagas or what if stories that usually focus on excuses to fight the DBZ characters and villains. It is refreshing to have a game that includes such an emphasis on the new Super characters, sagas, and battles.

Are there any DB video games yet besides SDBH (I love and play it a lot, but the charge impacts and cheap bosses can become rather frustrating) that take a dive into Dragon Ball Super? If not, I look forward to the day those kind of games come!
If you mean "Do they include Dragon Ball Super as part of their story?" then yes. Even then, you can further find the nuances by asking "When do you start Dragon Ball Super?" which changes the answer even further.
Right off the bat:

Xenoverse, without question. The Xenoverse series, 2 in particular, dive very heavily into Super; indeed, the vast majority of the latter's expanded story and roster (plus DLC that is) involves Super. That makes sense, too, as Super was still ongoing when it was released; that's one of the few times DLC actually makes sense.
I'm even sure that many will agree with me that it's better to release DLC than release a brand new game with a slightly enhanced roster; I'd have gladly taken a single Budokai if it meant future updates added new story and characters and tweaked the gameplay. The issue has always been that they charge $10 for the privilege; all DLC included makes it twice as expensive as the base game itself was.

But now I'm just going on a tangent.

Xenoverse, despite it having a supposedly "original story," is really just you badly self-inserting your original character, Donut Steel, into the main timeline with zero consequences (fighting edgy, goffik versions of the villains with zero consequences), so for all intents and purposes, it's a Super game. You can get the gist of the story of Super playing Xenoverse 2 much as you would playing any of the Butōdens, Budokais, Tenkaichis, Raging Blasts, Hyper Dimensions, Legacy of Gokus, and whatnot, with the only "original" aspect being your steel donut and the villains listening to My Chemical Romance and the Cure for a day. It's the closest we've seen to a Dragon Ball Super: Budokai Tenkaichi (and just saying that makes me gag a bit).

Dokkan Battle counts, even though it's mainly the characters from Super that are unlockable; the story is entirely original.

Then there's Battle of Z. This is what I was getting at earlier: do you consider Battle of Gods and Resurrection F to be "Dragon Ball Super?" even though the movies were labeled "Dragon Ball Z"? If so, then you have to include Battle of Z, even though it only covers Battle of Gods, and only at the end at that.

Dragon Ball Legends involves various Dragon Ball Super characters, but it's largely unrelated to Super's story. It technically takes place after the Tournament of Power.
Similarly, FighterZ involves Super characters, but takes place after the Universe 6 vs Universe 7 Tournament arc (i.e. before Goku Black attacks), though DLC introduces later characters.

There's also the Dragon Ball Super card game.

All in all, though, there's no definitive "Super" game like there was during the Super Famicom/PlayStation 2 era where we got retellings of the main story. Part of me is kinda regretful about that; though I hated having NOTHING BUT retellings of the main story (the chief sin of those eras of games), having not one game do a true retelling is also kinda "eh, bummer." Again, Xenoverse 2 is about as close as we'll get to that.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:34 pm

Yuli Ban wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:32 pm Xenoverse, without question. The Xenoverse series, 2 in particular, dive very heavily into Super; indeed, the vast majority of the latter's expanded story and roster (plus DLC that is) involves Super. That makes sense, too, as Super was still ongoing when it was released; that's one of the few times DLC actually makes sense.
Hmm, interesting. The story mode forcing you to play as “yourself” instead of the DB characters had kinda put me off, but I’m glad to hear that XV2’s content has expanded enough to having DBS story missions. Given the addition of all the mod content, I might seriously consider it as too good to pass up.

Regarding what constitutes as Super, I definitely consider BoG and RoF as part of it — but I really like having those alongside the Universe 6, Zamasu, and ToP arcs (and the Broly fight too).

I do find that trend amusing, that DB games went from too many retellings to literally no Super (it sounds like Kakarrot is a retelling, but of DBZ and maybe BoG only?) retellings yet (SDBH arcade missions notwithstanding). Maybe Super is just too new, and we’ll get something exciting eventually.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:26 pm

Kakarot is, in fact, the first "pure" retelling since around 2015 or so. Though I wasn't a fan of that decision, I do think this sort of game gets away with it because we've never gotten a true 3D open world action RPG in the series. The last time they attempted it, oof. Likewise, it's comparable to a fully 3D Legacy of Goku-type game. I can jive.

I haven't played or followed Extreme Butōden much (the last non-mobile game I can recall that did a retelling), but even that one— which had a dedicated Raditz to Boo story mode— also had its own original storyline, and in fact that original storyline was the MAIN story to boot. Raditz to Boo was just pretty much a side mode at that point.

Heck, even Kakarot takes liberties at times to add new details and flesh out things. So technically, we haven't had a "true" Raditz to Boo retelling since Battle of Z. And as someone who was there for the PS2 and HD era, thank God for that.

However, it is true that there have been no Super retellings outside Xenoverse. And I can't even say that Super is "too new." Super is already 5 years old; by this point, most other big hit anime series have already gotten at LEAST a game of their own, if not an entire little franchise to go along with it. Super's main deal is that it's part of an established franchise that SEVERELY blew its "retelling" load well over a decade before Super ever started. I made an entire thread about this once: Dragon Ball fans have been

S C R E A M I N G
C
R
E
A
M
I
N
G

for about 15+ years now for the developers to NOT rehash the Dragon Ball story YET AGAIN. Since the early 2000s, all many people wanted was a game that was at least on par with any of the AAA fighting games as well as a major console game that had its own unique storyline rather than the Raditz to Boo spiel with only a few "what-ifs" to break the monotony.

It just happened that Dragon Ball Super came right as Bandai Namco finally listened to fans and largely jettisoned retellings, or at the very least relegated them to side content rather than the main course.

Even in Xenoverse 2, once you download the extra story packs with Fu, I'd argue THAT'S where the meat of the game really lies even though it's not that long.

I can't even say I'm particularly interested in something like a "Dragon Ball Super: Budokai" or "Dragon Ball Super: Budokai Tenkaichi". I'm so out of goodwill for retellings at this point that, while I wouldn't hate them doing it, I'd also be perfectly content with life if we never got one.
The Yabanverse

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:30 pm

Oh, I played a lot of Extreme Butōden. It’s the last one I played a lot of until SDBH and I loved it. You’re right about the story mode(s) — I played the raditz to Buu because I think you unlock something from it, and then from there played it’s “what if” adventure mode instead. It was fun to unlock all the assist characters.

But you’re very right about there being too much raditz to Buu in DBZ games. I’m just hoping for at least one Beerus to Broly, lol.

Sorry, by “too new” I meant in relation to the super anime ending. I almost said story, but the manga has ensured that DBS isn’t quite “done” yet.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:48 am

Dragon Ball FighterZ is interesting in that it's the only game I'd say that I'd say is explicitly a "Super" game. Which is kind of ironic given the title, which led to people early on insisting that it wouldn't have DeeBeeZeee characters in it.

Sure Xenoverse 2 has covered it plenty, but mainly through DLC. Super was fresh when the game came out, with only vestigial iterations of Hit and Goku Black being in the base game. It's stories for Battle of Gods and Resurrection F were based on the movie versions (except Cooler was there because why not) and the DLC mainly introduced new characters and short level packs based on the Super arcs, which they didn't even bother with for ToP and Broly.

Whereas in FighterZ, the story mode is set in Super, all the characters are based on their Super personalities where applicable, and they even reference TV only things like Ginyu-Tagoma, Hit's rematch with Goku, Gohan training after Resurrection F and dramatic finishes like Trunks vs Zamasu and UI Goku vs Kefla.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:25 am

Kataphrut wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:48 am Dragon Ball FighterZ is interesting in that it's the only game I'd say that I'd say is explicitly a "Super" game. Which is kind of ironic given the title, which led to people early on insisting that it wouldn't have DeeBeeZeee characters in it.

Sure Xenoverse 2 has covered it plenty, but mainly through DLC. Super was fresh when the game came out, with only vestigial iterations of Hit and Goku Black being in the base game. It's stories for Battle of Gods and Resurrection F were based on the movie versions (except Cooler was there because why not) and the DLC mainly introduced new characters and short level packs based on the Super arcs, which they didn't even bother with for ToP and Broly.

Whereas in FighterZ, the story mode is set in Super, all the characters are based on their Super personalities where applicable, and they even reference TV only things like Ginyu-Tagoma, Hit's rematch with Goku, Gohan training after Resurrection F and dramatic finishes like Trunks vs Zamasu and UI Goku vs Kefla.
Those are pretty much locked to the Parallel Quests, not the main story mode.

As for FighterZ, I'm well aware it's set during Super; the way I interpreted the OP was that they were asking for something like the PS2 and HD games, the kind that endlessly retold Raditz to Boo, except instead, it would be Beerus to Broly— with that being the main story mode.
As FighterZ is mostly about the original story around Android 21 with the DLC doing more to expand it to later arcs of Super, it counts as much as Xenoverse 2 does in that regard. For me, at least.
The Yabanverse

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:39 pm

Yuli Ban wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:25 am
Kataphrut wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:48 am Dragon Ball FighterZ is interesting in that it's the only game I'd say that I'd say is explicitly a "Super" game. Which is kind of ironic given the title, which led to people early on insisting that it wouldn't have DeeBeeZeee characters in it.

Those are pretty much locked to the Parallel Quests, not the main story mode.

As for FighterZ, I'm well aware it's set during Super; the way I interpreted the OP was that they were asking for something like the PS2 and HD games, the kind that endlessly retold Raditz to Boo, except instead, it would be Beerus to Broly— with that being the main story mode.
As FighterZ is mostly about the original story around Android 21 with the DLC doing more to expand it to later arcs of Super, it counts as much as Xenoverse 2 does in that regard. For me, at least.
Yeah, but U6 and Black got earnest story modes with cutscenes and everything. I don't think the parallel quest versions of ToP and Broly got that. Or did they? I stopped playing around the Fu story DLC, which was the last time it felt like the Xenoverse 2 devs even remotely gave a shit.

I feel like the FighterZ approach of just coming up with new stories to tell in the Super time period should be the way to go (even if the game's story wasn't that great). For years the Raditz to Buu games have dealt with the idiosyncrasies of adapting the DBZ story- the location switch on Namek, the time skip for Buu, the fact that characters spend so much time away from the action until they're needed, with main character Goku being the biggest offender.

A Beerus to Jiren/Broly/Moro story (pick your cutoff point) would be easier in some ways and harder in others. There's a lot more downtime on Earth which gives more space for sidequests. Goku and Vegeta are consistently active from beginning to end so you don't need to shelve your protagonists for huge stretches the way the Z games did. But a the same time, the other characters are borderline guest characters. What would be the point of having the likes of Gohan or Piccolo as playable characters in a Super game when they're only in a handful of the arcs, and mainly fight henchmen and mid-tier tournament baddies? Meanwhile Trunks, 17 and Freeza are only involved in 1-2 arcs but have pivotal roles. The Tournament of Power is basically generic DB game poison- no flight, battle royale, unique designs for 80 characters. With how cookie-cutter these games are, I can see why most games outside of heroe shave avoided trying to do that as a story.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:52 pm

Ideally they'd make a Dragon Ball Z Kakarot sequel but the entire story was original. Imagine a game that is as long as the original game but it's an entirely original story.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:39 pm

jamiljamtheman wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:34 pm I do find that trend amusing, that DB games went from too many retellings to literally no Super
DBS is 5yo. There were not many games released since then.

If there will be any "Dragon Ball Super" game by name? No idea, probably not, not these days. Most of games always focused on DBZ and had DBZ in title, even if they included DB/GT content. DB itself got only a few own games after DBZ and GT only got one game on GBA. I'm not counting Final Bout as GT game.

What they should do, is a game like Kakarot but focused on original series, not Z. It would have been much better, even GT would be as those series had much bigger focus on adventures and exploration, especially OG DB. But DBZ is the most popular and will always be so they'll keep focusing on it no matter what.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:26 am

Xenoverse 2 has a lot of Super characters and many questlines which focus on Super arcs. For example, the dlc that added Fused Zamasu and Vegito also added a massive questline that tells the events of the Future Trunks arc.

Since Super is still a ìn ongoing story and is only like 4 years old, it will take some time for a videogame fully centered around it.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:36 am

Dragon Ball Super-themed UNO was a thing. :lol:

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:51 pm

that reminds me that Dragon ball fighterz should change its name to Dragon ball Super fighter at this point :D

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:16 am

Tai Lung wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:51 pm that reminds me that Dragon ball fighterz should change its name to Dragon ball Super fighter at this point :D
*Dragon Ball FighterSUPER