Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butouden is Underrated

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butouden is Underrated

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:24 am

Who here has heard of Dragon Ball Kai Ultimate Butouden? Nobody? Huh. No wonder it only sold 90,000 copies...

This is what I think is the greatest Dragon Ball game of all time. :cry: :cry: And it's my favorite. We should give this game the respect that it was meant to have.
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butouden is Underrated

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:44 am

I’m not sure why:

(1) This is in the fan-works section rather than the video games section (I’ll be moving it)
(2) Why your title is a hashtag (I’ll be editing it)

Anyway, I reviewed the game here on the site. We talked about it on the podcast.

But it didn’t get released internationally and it was a late-generation DS game. That effectively sums it up.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kokos

Re: Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butouden is Underrated

Post by Kokos » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:37 am

I played it... I don't know how much it holds up now, but after skimming the review for a quick refresher of the entire game, I think it would.

Played it a lot, was seriously impressed with what they did with the DS. Audiovisually really good, faithful story mode, lots of fanservice, there's even customization the developers didn't have to include but still did! Good fun to be had!
Other than that, it's a fun casual 2D fighter while still having some depth to the mechanics (even though I'd need to play it again to point out the intricacies).
Also one of the last games to appear before the new DB content came and gave the franchise a new, steadfast direction. There's a before and an after in my mind, while the after has great stuff, thinking about the before does make me nostalgic.

It was my second favorite DB game back then. That was almost 10 years ago though, things have changed for the better when it comes to DB games. Right now, if I had to make a personal list, it'd still be solidly top 5, maybe even top 3.