How would you rank DBFZ compare to other fighting games?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UI Peter
Banned Alternate Account

How would you rank DBFZ compare to other fighting games?

Post by UI Peter » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:49 pm

To all fellow fighting game enthusiasts, how do you feel DBFZ stacks up compared to other competitive fighting games both this generation and in general?

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Re: How would you rank DBFZ compare to other fighting games?

Post by JewyB » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:04 pm

Honestly, i dont play a lot of fighting games but its up there, it could be more maintained but its well balanced with a lot of options and it would be rude not to talk about how pretty it is(very).

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: How would you rank DBFZ compare to other fighting games?

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:56 am

I'd say it's been a stand-out for the generation thanks to its visuals and accessibility. The characters are nearly all easy to pick up and play with universal inputs and combo routes. I count myself as someone who knew basically nothing about fighting games until I started playing FighterZ and I've managed to do alright for myself.

I think the season 3 and 3.5 balance patches have done wonders for it- multiple assists have granted much more flexibility in team compositions, and the character buffs have helped a lot of previously lagging characters (F in the chat for Goku Black). This game definitely has top-tiers and bottom-tiers, but you can do pretty well with just about everyone. Also the later DLC characters like UI Goku and especially Roshi have shown they're willing to up the learning curve for people who want more complex characters.

The biggest issue facing the game is the same one facing a bunch of fighting games at the moment, which is the netcode. ArcSys has shown it's willing to move forward on rollback, but it remains to be seen if FighterZ will ever get it. Hopefully it will if they continue supporting it, and if not that, there's always a sequel.