Why is SDBH playing so safe with DBS content?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Why is SDBH playing so safe with DBS content?

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:40 pm

Seeing how DBH is so fanservice, we don't really see a lot DBS content being altered. There were few things like Golden Cooler, Mecha Zamasu or SSJG Trunks, which as far as i know, happened because they couldn't decide on how SSJ4 Trunks should look like + that's not even DBS Trunks. Not that i miss it because i'm not fan of DBS, but i was thinking about that recently. I mean Super 17 now has more forms than episodes he appeared in. Baby got some crazy forms like Baby Trunks, Baby Hatchiyack and Baby Janemba (as well as Baby Hirudegarn in DBF). Why not do the same with Goku Black and make Zamasu posses someone else? Why not give SSJ3 or SSJ4 to Kefla this time? DBZ and GT Vegeta already got SSJ3 in game, but DBS Vegeta didn't. We got Vegito Blue Kaioken, but why not go further and give him SSB Evolution? Are they playing so safe because they might always continue DBS and want to make sure game won't preceed some changes?
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Dragotaker
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Why is SDBH playing so safe with DBS content?

Post by Dragotaker » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:16 pm

My personal opinion is that they are saving such moments for when the anime eventually returns, Super story still going in manga and even though there seems to be no new anime coming soon you just know we haven't seem the last of those characters you mention so if somebody like Kefla were to become SS3 i'm sure would have to happen first in a Super sequel, Movie or Manga at the very least.

GT story in the other hand is over for good, their new characters and already existing character incarnations will never appear again in the Super story or any ''canon''material unless they feel like doing a Broly with one of the old villians and even then they will reboot the character too so it would be different from the original, that's why they can mess with them however they like just like they do with movie villians.

When they do What If stuff with Super characters like Future Trunks and Zamasu i imagine they feel confident those characters will never be used again in the main story so itheir status is the same as the GT characters, maybe it will changue at some point but for now that's my headcanon

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:37 am

Dragotaker wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:16 pm My personal opinion is that they are saving such moments for when the anime eventually returns, Super story still going in manga and even though there seems to be no new anime coming soon you just know we haven't seem the last of those characters you mention so if somebody like Kefla were to become SS3 i'm sure would have to happen first in a Super sequel, Movie or Manga at the very least.

GT story in the other hand is over for good, their new characters and already existing character incarnations will never appear again in the Super story or any ''canon''material unless they feel like doing a Broly with one of the old villians and even then they will reboot the character too so it would be different from the original, that's why they can mess with them however they like just like they do with movie villians.

When they do What If stuff with Super characters like Future Trunks and Zamasu i imagine they feel confident those characters will never be used again in the main story so itheir status is the same as the GT characters, maybe it will changue at some point but for now that's my headcanon
Yeah i think so too. Even DB Minus/DBS Bardock is a different character and so probably won't get so much stuff as his old DBZ counterpart. And Future Trunks who got SSJG isn't really even from DBS. It even took actual movie for SDBH to show base Gogeta. I think it wasn't a thing before DBS Broly happened. I really wish they gave Kefla SSJ4 this time as i really want to see how female SSJ4 look like and we don't have much female saiyans out there. Pan didn't even get SSJ yet (which is weird looking at what SDBH is doing with other characters) and Fasha or Gine aren't super saiyans either, so Kefla would probably be the first in line to get it, right after female avatars that is.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:38 am

Dragotaker wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:16 pm When they do What If stuff with Super characters like Future Trunks and Zamasu i imagine they feel confident those characters will never be used again in the main story so itheir status is the same as the GT characters, maybe it will changue at some point but for now that's my headcanon
I thought so too originally, but now I believe the exact opposite. Both Future Trunks and Zamasu could return in canon Super, and their return would be pretty easy to justify storywise:

- For Trunks, the arc literally ends with him saying "Until we meet again!", so it seems that the writers recognize just how popular Trunks is and dropped that line on purpose. They'll most likely milk him for one more arc.

- For Zamasu, it might seem like he's dead dead, because he was erased literally by Zeno. Not even killed, straight up erased from existence. But his return could be easily justified if we found out that Zalama is an even higher deity than Zeno. If that's the case, then Zamasu would have survived Zeno's attack, because he was granted immortality by the power of Zalama.

It could be that these videogames are testing potential storylines in which Zamasu and Trunks could come back. For example, a storyline where Zamasu is forced to work with a mortal group for the sake of Project Zero Mortals. With how popular Heroes is (it's like one of the most popular arcade games in Japan!), I would not be surprised at all if Toriyama took some concepts from that videogame for a future arc in canon Super.

It might seem unlikely, but let's not forget that Toriyama literally did this with the Broly movie. He took a non-canon character created by Toei back in the Z era and repurposed him for Super, making him his own character in the process.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:11 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:38 am - For Trunks, the arc literally ends with him saying "Until we meet again!", so it seems that the writers recognize just how popular Trunks is and dropped that line on purpose. They'll most likely milk him for one more arc.
This might as well simply mean they are leaving a gate open "just for sake", as "Until we meet again" is exactly how last episodes of both GT and Super were titled. I think two stories about his future are enough. I'd rather see other universes expanded, especially universe 6. If they really had to bring him back then it would be better if they went to his timeline to get his help this time with something completely unrelated to his future instead.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:14 pm

Super is the most popular and current Dragon Ball show that we have at the moment. Bandai wants to milk on whatever is new and fresh in people's minds. I'm up for more crazy fantasy fusions and transformations because I feel like Baby Freeza or Baby Cell is long over due.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/