Games That Keep You Coming Back?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MrSatan2099
Patreon Supporter

Games That Keep You Coming Back?

Post by MrSatan2099 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:23 am

What's the game or games that you always like to pick up and play randomly? What's in your usual rotation as a gamer. I've got two young kids so I don't have much space or time to set up my older consoles and play, but I'm really into handheld gaming so I always find myself going back to Supersonic Warriors 1 & 2, always fun and always hit the spot when I'm thinking about classic Dragon Ball gaming. Years ago I would have said Budokai 3 and Super Dragon Ball Z on PS2.

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: Games That Keep You Coming Back?

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:14 am

Despite being well over a decade old, Tenkaichi 3 is still my go to game when it comes to DB. To this day it alongside Tenkaichi 2 are the only games that make me feel like I'm truly playing the anime.

MrSatan2099
Patreon Supporter

Post by MrSatan2099 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:47 am

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:14 am Despite being well over a decade old, Tenkaichi 3 is still my go to game when it comes to DB. To this day it alongside Tenkaichi 2 are the only games that make me feel like I'm truly playing the anime.
It's hard to beat those characters rosters too! I spent many a night in my younger years up until three or four in the morning with those games. Just thinking about makes me taste pizza rolls and Dr. Pepper.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:24 pm

Tenkaichi 3 obviously. Other than that, i like to return to:
-Legacy of Goku 2&3 (GBA)
-DB Advanced Adventure (GBA)
-DB Final Bout (PS1)
-DBZ Idainaru Dragon Ball Densetsu (PS1)
-DBZ Legendary Super Warriors (GBC)

I basically don't play modern DB games as i find all of them boring. I'm playing DB Legends on android from time to time and that's it.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:46 pm

Ultimate Butouden (DS) - The game is beautiful, soulful you could say. There's so much detail put into it, the models are charming, fighting style is great and the ultimates are pretty. Good soundtrack too.

DB Heroes Ultimate Mission X (3DS) - In many ways it's better than it's more known sequel "World Mission", which sadly cut off too much content. Giant characters also look much more visually pleasing, rather than just seeing a leg on the battlefield. Lots and lots of content too!

Buu's Fury (GBA) - Being able to fuse anywhere, collecting the exhibits or just wandering around wrecking criminals. It's joyful to spend time with this gem of a game.

Budokai 3 (PS2) - A 3D Classic. Ultimates are still eyecatchy and excellent almost 20 years later.

Final Bout (PSX) - I like the win-screen scenes, how the camera spins and how lively the characters are.

Advanced Adventure (GBA) - DB era classic. Lots of things to do and various mini games to relax like catching Korin.

MrSatan2099
Patreon Supporter

Post by MrSatan2099 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:07 pm

Glad to see so much love for Advanced Adventure! I can remember playing it pretty much straight through over a weekend my senior year of high school. Bought it at K-Mart, which brings back a whole other flood of nostalgia. I only wish there would have been a sequel. I do consider Dragon Ball Origins on DS something of a spiritual follow up though.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:38 pm

Xeogran wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:46 pm Buu's Fury (GBA) - Being able to fuse anywhere, collecting the exhibits or just wandering around wrecking criminals. It's joyful to spend time with this gem of a game.
This game is so great and polished. The only problem i have with it is difficulty, it's way too easy. While first LoG game was too hard and overall bad, third one is too easy. LoG 2 had perfect difficulty imo.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:09 pm

I go back to quite a few of them from time to time, the Budokai series in particular.

Budokai 3 and Infinite World still hold up as solid fighting games to this day. Budokai 3 also had the really fun Dragon Universe mode, and I actually enjoy the mini games in Infinite World. Budokai 1 and 2 have average gameplay but make up for it in other ways. 1 had great cutscenes, and 2 had the silly but fun story and the What-If fusions. And all of them have great music by Kenji Yamamoto.

The Legacy of Goku 2 and Buu's Fury really hold up too. They're really faithful to the events if the anime, have lots of fun sidequests, and have awesome remixes of the Faulconer score. And I really loved how Buu's Fury wrote Movies 10 and 12 into the Buu saga. LoG1 gets a lot of hate, and I understand why, but I still manage to have fun with it. It was the first game to let you travel along Snakeway, go to Hell (or HFIL), and train with King Kai.

Tenkaichi 2 and 3 are still fun to pop in from time to time. BT2 had an awesome OST with a huge roster and fun gameplay. BT3 had an even bigger roster with arguably better gameplay (although 2 was better in some ways). BT1 feels really underwhelming by comparison, but I still pop it in once in a blue moon for nostalgia.

Ultimate Battle 22 and Final Bout I still play on occasion largely for their OSTs despite all their other flaws. They also have pretty unique rosters and awesome intro videos.

I still give Super Dragon Ball Z the occasional playthrough too. It gets a lot of love on here but is generally overlooked by the larger fanbase. I never got into it at a high level because I had nobody to play against.

DB Advanced Adventure for GBA is another overlooked game I go back to. One of the few OG DB focused games, and a really good one too. My only gripe is that the 1v1 mode is way too easy once you get the hang of it. I can perfect the CPU almost every time.

Aside from those games I don't go back to the others as much. I'll give Burst Limit the occasional play, although I think Infinite World is a much better game despite coming out on an older system. I'd like to go back and revisit the PSP games some time. Shin Budokai 1 and 2 are both great, and Tenkaichi Tag Team was lots of fun too.

I consider Raging Blast 1 better than 2, so I'll give that another play one day. 2 was just okay to me. Ultimate Tenkaichi is a game I still haven't bothered to complete, and Battle of Z I only played the demo for. Taiketsu is a game I haven't touched in almost 17 years. I enjoyed playing through Xenoverse 1 and 2 when they came out, but don't feel a massive urge to go back to them now that I have Fighterz.

And oh yeah, Fighterz. I took a year off from that game because of burnout from 2 years of constant play, but I'm getting back into it now having just bought Fighterz Pass 3. It's the best looking game of the lot, and also has the best gameplay. And I still need to get the BoG and RF DLC for DBZ Kakarot.

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:33 pm

SDBH: World Mission. Extremely convenient on switch, and there’s so much content and so many difficult missions that there’s always something to come back to.

Plus I love the characters and forms represented across Z, GT, and Super across the board.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:20 am

I still play Ultimate Mission X on the 3DS. It looks and prays very well on 3ds with it's touch screen controls and as someone else mentioned, it has a staggering amount of content. Due to me improving on my Japanese I can read what the cards do, which also helps.

Still, even though I really like the game, it makes me realize that we could have gotten a Budokai with an immense roster on 3DS. I wouldn't expect every fighter from Heroes in a game like this but it still would have been a cool experience.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:55 am

I haven't played that many Dragon Ball games since I only really got invested in the franchise around 2015. So for me, my big games were Xenoverse 1 and 2, Fusions, FighterZ and that Switch Heroes port- still haven't gotten around to Kakarot.

So for me, it's gotta be FighterZ. I've never gotten invested into a fighting game before, but I've been playing that one since the open beta right before release and I usually play it around once every couple of weeks, give or take. It's fun, intuitive, well-presented and has an active community. Of course given I've been playing it for almost three years now you'd think my online rank would be higher- still only Super Saiyan Blue. But in my defence, I am *quite terrible*. So even getting that high is an achievement.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:42 pm

DB: Advance Adventure
DBZ Budokai 3
DBZ 1, 3, Gaiden on Famicom
DBZ Legend of SSJ and Hyper Dimension on Super Famicom
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:20 pm

The only one would be BT3, but I don't really play it "properly", I just check and test AnninBT's mod from time to time

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:31 pm

BT3, Buu's Fury, and Dokkan Battle

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:38 pm

Dragonball Z Budokai 3 for the Playstation 2 and Hyper Dimension for the Super famicom. I have very very strong ties with Hyper Dimension because it was pretty much the first game I played of Dragonball and I remember I played it on an Ollllld emulator in school on a computer I don't remember :P and it was so crazy knowing that I was playing something that was never released in the states and was in JAPAN!!! haha :o :shock: I loved it so much that years later after emulating it forever, I found and bought a copy off Ebay and modified my snes to play it. :P Even though I still do emulate it because it's just easier than hooking everything up, I would never sell my cartridge version of it. :D
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!