New Dragon Ball video game ideas

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

New Dragon Ball video game ideas

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:45 pm

This topic is about posting your ideas for a new Dragon Ball game to be made in the near future. Your game can be an open world, a card game, board game, RPG, JRPG, action RPG, arena fighter, regular fighter, etc. In fact, you could even make an entirely new type of Dragon Ball game, like a story game!

Here's my idea for a Dragon Ball game (based on my fan series Dragon Ball GB)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1htO ... DmLWI/edit

That is the list of characters. This is the list of Z Assists:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xXf ... 92Z7g/edit
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: New Dragon Ball video game ideas

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:10 pm

Legacy of Goku 1/2/3 bundle remake (still sprite based) going through all of Dragon Ball to the end of Dragon Ball Z, with the old movies sprinkled in.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:16 pm

What do you think of the idea in my documents?

MrSatan2099
Patreon Supporter

Post by MrSatan2099 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:18 pm

Honestly after decades of video games, there's not much of an itch left to scratch for me. Maybe a puzzle game? It worked really well for Street Fighter. I actually wouldn't mind a new 2D fighting game, something with the same retro look/modern technology of Sonic Mania.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:34 pm

Give me an RTS where I roleplay as the Freeza Force dominating the universe, and I'll be happy fornever.
MrSatan2099 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:18 pm Honestly after decades of video games, there's not much of an itch left to scratch for me. Maybe a puzzle game? It worked really well for Street Fighter. I actually wouldn't mind a new 2D fighting game, something with the same retro look/modern technology of Sonic Mania.

This has been my stance for a while. Ultimate Battle 22 and Shin Butōden did it right in that one regard— give us a purely 2D fighting game even better than FighterZ that uses actual sprites that are basically animation cels lifted from the series with even better animation. Make it look exactly like we're playing the anime.

I can appreciate how closely they made the 3D models of FighterZ look 2D (I remember being genuinely stunned at how incredibly they passed as cels to the point plenty of people even argued they were 2D sprites— they're not). It's been a very long time coming after decades of using cel-shading to kinda sorta approximate it. But sprites reign supreme.

My penultimate answer after that has to be the mythical fusion of Xenoverse/Online's character creator and RPG aspects with Kakarot's open-world and an over-the-shoulder 3D fighting engine that's like a thumbs-up version of the Sparking! games given the scale, budget, and scope of something like Skyrim or Mass Effect. I genuinely do not believe we'll ever see that until we have AIs that can just totally synthesize video games because I doubt Bandai Namco is willing to put in the funds for such a project.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:41 am

A CyberConnect2 game because Kakarot doesn't even feel like it's theirs
  • Anything sprite-based because pixel art is joy to my eyes
  • What-If game focusing on the villains, from start to finish
  • Adventure game that is not a Z retelling
  • Fusions 2 but this time focusing on Potara

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:22 am

What if you could import the Time Patrollers from Xenoverse 2 into Dragon Ball Legends, with the same voice clips, presets, and skills? You would be able to do it with a link, and you could pick which of your Time Patrollers you want to import.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:40 am

Similar to how Shallot has Broly, Gohan, Bardock, Vegeta, and Goku's outfits, your Time Patroller should be able to have the original and customizable versions of everyone's outfits. Well, Saiyans, Namekians, and humans can't access Mecha Freeza, Perfect Cell, Cooler, Meta Cooler, or King Cold's outfits, however, they can wear Freeza and King Cold's armor that they possess. If Kami's outfit is added in-game, the 神 (Kami) kanji on their chest should change to the first few hiragana, katakana, or kanji of their names. My Saiyan OCs Peter, Pierce and Peter Jr. would have the ピ (pi) katakana, and my Freeza race OC Doom: Xeno would have the 運命 (Unmei) kanji.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:11 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:16 pm What do you think of the idea in my documents?
I could do without the ~60 slots for OCs. Otherwise its fine.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:07 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:11 pm
FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:16 pm What do you think of the idea in my documents?
I mean, there's only around 49 OCs, 1 fanmade character (Ranch from Dragon Ball R&R), 5 Heroes characters, 39 Dragon Ball Z characters, 9 Dragon Ball Super characters, 8 GT characters, and more on the way.

Were 124 characters a bit too excessive?

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:09 pm

There's also about 14 Z Assists.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:43 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:07 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:11 pm
I mean, there's only around 49 OCs, 1 fanmade character (Ranch from Dragon Ball R&R), 5 Heroes characters, 39 Dragon Ball Z characters, 9 Dragon Ball Super characters, 8 GT characters, and more on the way.

Were 124 characters a bit too excessive?
Okay, 50. Still far too much if you ask me. 124 characters is a great amount, with actual characters from the series. I couldn't see the Z Assist doc so I cant comment on that.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:56 pm

Here, this link should allow you to edit it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xXf ... 92Z7g/edit

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:22 am

I had a thread on the backburner discussing my idea for a Mario Party-style DB game with some slapstick combat elements. While Dragon Ball is primarily a martial arts fantasy story, there are tonnes of great characters who get next to no playable exposure in any video games because they're non-combatants. The most obvious of these is Bulma, one of the most significant protagonists since literally the first chapter, yet in most game appearances she's usually either an NPC or shoehorned awkwardly into a fighting role. Getting a mostly non-combat themed game for once that can showcase the characters' vibrant personalities would be a great change of pace. Above all, it would be lighthearted and easy to play with friends and family who might otherwise never get into the relatively steeper learning curve for other Dragon Ball games.

It would be a good way to showcase memorable characters like: Bulma, Chi-Chi, Gyumao, Oolong, Baba, Puar, the Pilaf Gang, Kami, Mr. Popo, Dende, Sharpner, Erasa, King Enma, the Kaios, Dr. Myuu, Sugoro, Monaka, Zeno, Cheelai, Paragus, Gine, Leek, Beets, the Yardrats, and many others.

Gameplay wise, characters would move around a board and get into minigames, though they would naturally tend to be a bit more violent and competitive than the ones you see in Mario Party (though that's actually saying a lot). As with most Dragon Ball games, the Dragon Balls themselves would appear as a mechanic, in this case similar to star-collecting, and gathering all of them will allow you to make a wish to either boost yourself or hinder an opponent.

As for your idea, OP, all I have to ask is... who are Peter and Ray? Lol. Abundance of OCs aside, it's easy to make a long list of characters but what kind of game is it?

MrSatan2099
Patreon Supporter

Post by MrSatan2099 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:41 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:22 am I had a thread on the backburner discussing my idea for a Mario Party-style DB game with some slapstick combat elements. While Dragon Ball is primarily a martial arts fantasy story, there are tonnes of great characters who get next to no playable exposure in any video games because they're non-combatants. The most obvious of these is Bulma, one of the most significant protagonists since literally the first chapter, yet in most game appearances she's usually either an NPC or shoehorned awkwardly into a fighting role. Getting a mostly non-combat themed game for once that can showcase the characters' vibrant personalities would be a great change of pace. Above all, it would be lighthearted and easy to play with friends and family who might otherwise never get into the relatively steeper learning curve for other Dragon Ball games.

It would be a good way to showcase memorable characters like: Bulma, Chi-Chi, Gyumao, Oolong, Baba, Puar, the Pilaf Gang, Kami, Mr. Popo, Dende, Sharpner, Erasa, King Enma, the Kaios, Dr. Myuu, Sugoro, Monaka, Zeno, Cheelai, Paragus, Gine, Leek, Beets, the Yardrats, and many others.

Gameplay wise, characters would move around a board and get into minigames, though they would naturally tend to be a bit more violent and competitive than the ones you see in Mario Party (though that's actually saying a lot). As with most Dragon Ball games, the Dragon Balls themselves would appear as a mechanic, in this case similar to star-collecting, and gathering all of them will allow you to make a wish to either boost yourself or hinder an opponent.
That brings back a very specific memory of mine. Twenty odd years ago my best friend in middle school (keep in mind this was well before we had any official games in the US other than Dragon Power and Final Bout) described a dream where he bought a new game at K-Mart that was like a Dragon Ball Z version of Mario Party. Yeah, we were pretty anxious for some games. Actually he(still my best friend to this day) was the first person I ever knew to import a game, he ordered Legends and a region unlocking chip for the back of the Playstation out of some gaming magazine.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:16 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:22 am I had a thread on the backburner discussing my idea for a Mario Party-style DB game with some slapstick combat elements. While Dragon Ball is primarily a martial arts fantasy story, there are tons of great characters who get next to no playable exposure in any video games because they're non-combatants. The most obvious of these is Bulma, one of the most significant protagonists since literally the first chapter, yet in most game appearances she's usually either an NPC or shoehorned awkwardly into a fighting role. Getting a mostly non-combat themed game for once that can showcase the characters' vibrant personalities would be a great change of pace. Above all, it would be lighthearted and easy to play with friends and family who might otherwise never get into the relatively steeper learning curve for other Dragon Ball games.

It would be a good way to showcase memorable characters like Bulma, Chi-Chi, Gyumao, Oolong, Baba, Puar, the Pilaf Gang, Kami, Mr. Popo, Dende, Sharpner, Erasa, King Enma, the Kaios, Dr. Myuu, Sugoro, Monaka, Zeno, Cheelai, Paragus, Gine, Leek, Beets, the Yardrats, and many others.

Gameplay-wise, characters would move around a board and get into minigames, though they would naturally tend to be a bit more violent and competitive than the ones you see in Mario Party (though that's actually saying a lot). As with most Dragon Ball games, the Dragon Balls themselves would appear as a mechanic, in this case similar to star-collecting, and gathering all of them will allow you to make a wish to either boost yourself or hinder an opponent.

As for your idea, OP, all I have to ask is... who are Peter and Ray? Lol. The abundance of OCs aside, it's easy to make a long list of characters but what kind of game is it?
Peter and Ray are my OCs, from my fan series Dragon Ball GB. I'm already making episode 5 as we speak. As for the type of game it would be, it'd be a fighting game with aspects from Dragon Ball FighterZ, but this time it uses sprites similar to that of Hyper Dragon Ball Z and it tells an original story. There would be a bunch of modes:

Z Campaign, which gives you the option to either play the Dragon Ball GB story first or the Dragon Ball Z story first (the former starts 1 year before the latter).

Tenkaichi Budokai, where you can make either 4, 8,16, 32 or 64-player tournaments.

The game room, where you can play minigames.

Bulma's database, where you can view information on every character.

Online play, where you can fight others online.

Challengers' Arena, where you can unlock characters by winning a fight under certain conditions, whether it be survive, win using a special, ultimate or Z Assist, or in a certain amount of time.

Versus matches, where you can do 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, or watch the CPUs fight each other.

Training, where you...train.

Customization, where you change the ki color, hair color, eye color, skin color, and outfit colors of characters.

And Dragon Ball All-Stars, where you win 1 million zeni if you fight and defeat every character in the game without dying or taking damage. The ultimate challenge!

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:14 pm

MrSatan2099 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:41 am
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:22 am I had a thread on the backburner discussing my idea for a Mario Party-style DB game with some slapstick combat elements. While Dragon Ball is primarily a martial arts fantasy story, there are tonnes of great characters who get next to no playable exposure in any video games because they're non-combatants. The most obvious of these is Bulma, one of the most significant protagonists since literally the first chapter, yet in most game appearances she's usually either an NPC or shoehorned awkwardly into a fighting role. Getting a mostly non-combat themed game for once that can showcase the characters' vibrant personalities would be a great change of pace. Above all, it would be lighthearted and easy to play with friends and family who might otherwise never get into the relatively steeper learning curve for other Dragon Ball games.

That brings back a very specific memory of mine. Twenty odd years ago my best friend in middle school (keep in mind this was well before we had any official games in the US other than Dragon Power and Final Bout) described a dream where he bought a new game at K-Mart that was like a Dragon Ball Z version of Mario Party. Yeah, we were pretty anxious for some games. Actually he(still my best friend to this day) was the first person I ever knew to import a game, he ordered Legends and a region unlocking chip for the back of the Playstation out of some gaming magazine.
Haha, how spooky is that? It must've been quite rough with so few games on the market at that time.

MrSatan2099
Patreon Supporter

Post by MrSatan2099 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:38 pm

[/quote]
Haha, how spooky is that? It must've been quite rough with so few games on the market at that time.
[/quote]
Very much so. Legacy of Goku on GBA was a really big deal for us back then. When the first Budokai came out, it was practically a holday for my friends and I, we got together and spent the entire day after school playing through it, ate tons of pizza, great memories.

That's part of the reason I think the discussion about new game concepts is important, I'd love to feel that excited about a new game again. Not likely for sure, I know nostalgia plays heavy into that feeling, but I think something really different could do it.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:58 am

What if you could import your Time Patrollers from Xenoverse 2 into FighterZ with a code? They'd look exactly how they do in XV2, except with FighterZ's art style. Their ki color would be blue, and you can pick the attacks that they have. The alternate colors would be your seven presets. It'd be nice to play as ourselves in FighterZ.

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:51 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:58 am What if you could import your Time Patrollers from Xenoverse 2 into FighterZ with a code? They'd look exactly how they do in XV2, except with FighterZ's art style. Their ki color would be blue, and you can pick the attacks that they have. The alternate colors would be your seven presets. It'd be nice to play as ourselves in FighterZ.
It would be cool but with the way they make characters in Fighterz, it wouldn't work.

I could see it working if Dimps made a Budokai 4 or Burst Limit 2 - Character Creation in general for Budokai 4 would be a feature I want.