Budokai for the SEGA Dreamcast?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tian
Advanced Regular

Budokai for the SEGA Dreamcast?

Post by Tian » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:32 am

One year ago, I stumbled across this Spanish forum where in one of its old topics (from 2003), some guy nicknamed PelaneS mentioned that Dragon Ball Z Budokai was an announced title for the SEGA Dreamcast.
SPA
Muy buena la lista. Seria bueno que le añadieses los juegos que anunciaron para DC y finalmente no salieron, o nisiquiera empezaron a realizaros. Pero estaban anunciados.

Ambulance
El Harley Davinson ese que hay en la recreativa
Dragon Ball Z Budokai
GTA III
Matrix

Salu2
ENG
Very good list. It would be good if you add those games announced for the DC and ultimately didn't get released, nor even got developed. But were announced.

Ambulance
That Harley Davinson one in the arcade
Dragon Ball Z Budokai
GTA III
Matrix

Gr33tings

Here's the topic where this comes from:
https://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_listado ... ast_142533

Was this a real thing or just a rumor?
Last edited by Tian on Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Budokai for the SEGA Dreamcast?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:43 pm

Could be a rumor because I don't remember hearing about a DC release back in 2002. Not to mention, the Dreamcast was dead by the time when Budokai 1 came out.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:06 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:43 pm Could be a rumor because I don't remember hearing about a DC release back in 2002. Not to mention, the Dreamcast was dead by the time when Budokai 1 came out.
...and it was a dying console likely when Budokai was in development.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:08 am

Tian wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:32 am One year ago, I stumbled across this Spanish forum where in one of its old topics (from 2003), some guy nicknamed PelaneS mentioned that Dragon Ball Z Budokai was an announced title for the SEGA Dreamcast.
SPA
Muy buena la lista. Seria bueno que le añadieses los juegos que anunciaron para DC y finalmente no salieron, o nisiquiera empezaron a realizaros. Pero estaban anunciados.

Ambulance
El Harley Davinson ese que hay en la recreativa
Dragon Ball Z Budokai
GTA III
Matrix

Salu2
ENG
Very good list. It would be good if you add those games announced for the DC and ultimately didn't get released, nor even got developed. But were announced.

Ambulance
That Harley Davinson one in the arcade
Dragon Ball Z Budokai
GTA III
Matrix

Gr33tings

Here's the topic where this comes from:
https://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_listado ... ast_142533

Was this a real thing or just a rumor?
I actually mentioned this in another thread here!
It's fun reading through older threads and articles!

I didn't discover this on a forum but rather a very old article detailing Dragon Ball Z's imminent arrival to the UK:

The forum doesn't go back that far, but I wish I could see some threads from the early 2000s, back when Dragon Ball was just getting its start and the Dreamcast was still an active console. I say this because I found an old article describing the meteoric success of Dragon Ball in the West as it was about to come to the UK, and one line in particular caught my eye:
It's the longest-running animated series in the world, a global phenomenon shown everywhere from Spain, where its products outsold Olympic mascot merchandise during the Barcelona games, to the States, where it is the top-ranking show on the Cartoon Network across all ages (a figure that's rumoured to have attracted the attention of Disney), and there's a Dreamcast game in production, to follow the Playstation releases.

I couldn't find a damn thing about it at the time, no matter where I searched or how far back I set my search parameters. For a while I figured this was just some early-2000s rumor born from Geocities or GameFAQs or Fark that faded into oblivion, but it kept bothering me for a while. Not helping matters was that I did in fact find a single thread somewhere else on the internet that discussed an Infogrames-developed Dragon Ball Z game that was due to be released on the Dreamcast sometime in 2002. Unfortunately I have no proof of this because that forum's servers went offline not long after I discovered that thread, so my last potential lead vanished with it.
Still, someone else remembered such a thing, meaning there was but a whisper more of life for such a project.
So I trained my Google-Fu some more and embarked on another search. The previous time, I scoured YouTube alongside the depths of Wikipedia and Bing, but this second time I around, remembered that a sad, defeated YouTube-competitor called "DailyMotion" exists.
Lo and behold...
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2bbgr

Unfortunately, my assertion in the original thread was wrong. Apparently, this ISN'T the Dreamcast title's demo, but actually a failed beta for what was intended to be a 3D Legacy of Goku for the GameCube.

It appears my Kaio-level Google-Fu just isn't powerful enough...
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.