New Budokai/Burst Limit styled game?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: New Budokai/Burst Limit styled game?

Post by sangofe » Thu May 20, 2021 5:23 am

WittyUsername wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:41 pm
budokaifanatic007 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 2:50 am So a while back people noticed that "Xenoverse3.com" was already registered and people speculated that BN bought it, I looked up "Budokai4.com" for sheets and giggles and apparently its been registered too(3 days after Xenoverse 3 was registered) could this mean anything? Also Budokai 5 and 6 are also registered.
https://whois.gandi.net/en/results?search=budokai4.com
If that means what it sounds like it means, then Dimps is going to be very busy. I’m still not sure if there’s much appeal left in the Budokai style. FighterZ already gave us the definitive Dragon Ball game for fighting game fans, and it seems like the Tenkaichi/Xenoverse style has long since become the norm for all other Dragon Ball games.
Budukai 5 and 6, huh?

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FlpShimizu » Thu May 20, 2021 9:51 am

Companies buy these domains in advance to avoid any legal problems if they ever decide to make said product.

Sadly, it means nothing.
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:56 pm

Belated response to the thread and many posts within:

1: Bamco made yearly games because they had to. It was part of the contract. If you're contractually obliged to do something, you HAVE to do it or else you face legal troubles plus decreased influence in other areas as people take you as inconsistent or a liability. This worked somewhat well for the PS2 era because that was the last era where you could make a high-end game in under a year. This contract blew DBZ games apart in the HD era where development costs ballooned. It ballooned right into a great crash when the DB brand could barely get games to push a million copies this time last decade.

2: A new Budokai game isn't exactly on the top of my list. The only really decent one was Budokai 3 and maybe Infinite World, and even at its best it was a pretty average anime fighter. That's all it needed to be, I get. It was exactly the kind of "two buddies playing a fighting game version of their favorite anime" kind of ordeal and not anything deeper. But that being said, people have since the Budokai days been hankering for something like FighterZ. That's what everyone wanted the Budokai games to be. That's one reason why people didn't like the Sparking games too: they were even looser and less traditional.
The only appeal in a new Budokai nowadays is in the nostalgia over the name and as a middle of the road casual fighting game, and maybe in a Raditz to Jiren/Broly storyline rather than a Raditz to Boo one.
If there is a new Budokai, it will probably be Switch and PC exclusive and have a name like "Ultimate Budokai"

3: FighterZ obliterated Budokai. Heck, FighterZ was so good it basically killed off Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite. The idea that Dragon Ball game could be a Game Killer is outstanding to me. No DBZ game before now came close. I'd rather them keep building off of that momentum. Going back to #2, the literal only reason to create a separate line of 2.5D Dragon Ball fighters is if you want a Casual vs. Hardcore option, and even then FighterZ isn't some technical monstrosity like Street Fighter III 3rd Strike that all but requires you to become a digital xian to master it.

I'm not saying it's a BAD idea. A breather 2.5D fighter that doubles down on fanservice over gameplay might have its appeal. I just don't see why they'd go for it.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Zinnia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zinnia » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:39 am

Yuli Ban wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:56 pm 3: FighterZ obliterated Budokai. Heck, FighterZ was so good it basically killed off Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite. The idea that Dragon Ball game could be a Game Killer is outstanding to me. No DBZ game before now came close.
I'm sorry but the overratedness of FighterZ is getting annoying to read. As someone who isn't much into competitive play, the game isn't all that. It's your typical fighting game with a DBZ skin. For online, tournament kind of players it's surely great, but for people who just like to have fun? Budokai, Hyper Dimension and such bring me more enjoyment.

DBZ is about transformations, aerial and melee combat. Having all of this be non-existent just because of online play's competetiveness is bad. Meanwhile Budokai 3 had no online, but had all of the things that make DBZ be series different to your usual fighting franchises.

I also hate the trend of "nerfing" characters with online updates. Why should a casual player get their characters weakened because some people have abused their abilities online? I hate getting used to characters I already knew how to play.

Online ruins all.

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:19 pm

Zinnia wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:39 am
Yuli Ban wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:56 pm 3: FighterZ obliterated Budokai. Heck, FighterZ was so good it basically killed off Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite. The idea that Dragon Ball game could be a Game Killer is outstanding to me. No DBZ game before now came close.
I'm sorry but the overratedness of FighterZ is getting annoying to read. As someone who isn't much into competitive play, the game isn't all that. It's your typical fighting game with a DBZ skin. For online, tournament kind of players it's surely great, but for people who just like to have fun? Budokai, Hyper Dimension and such bring me more enjoyment.

DBZ is about transformations, aerial and melee combat. Having all of this be non-existent just because of online play's competitiveness is bad. Meanwhile Budokai 3 had no online, but had all of the things that make DBZ be series different to your usual fighting franchises.

I also hate the trend of "nerfing" characters with online updates. Why should a casual player get their characters weakened because some people have abused their abilities online? I hate getting used to characters I already knew how to play.

Online ruins all.
Couldn't of have said it any better! Fighterz is a Fighting game, a Very good one BUT its doesn't have the same experience as the Budokai games did. Budokai felt like a Dragonball Z experience rather than just a fighting game.
Bring Back Budokai:https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/ ... it-2#intro
Tyestor wrote:How many dicks do I have to suck to get Dimps to make another 3D Budokai-esque game again? My patience is seriously starting to wear thin with these new DB games.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:23 am

budokaifanatic007 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:19 pm
Zinnia wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:39 am

DBZ is about transformations, aerial and melee combat. Having all of this be non-existent just because of online play's competitiveness is bad. Meanwhile Budokai 3 had no online, but had all of the things that make DBZ be series different to your usual fighting franchises.

Online ruins all.
Couldn't of have said it any better! Fighterz is a Fighting game, a Very good one BUT its doesn't have the same experience as the Budokai games did. Budokai felt like a Dragonball Z experience rather than just a fighting game.
Plus it's not like Budokai is lacking in the fighting department. Sure it's shallow when you compare it to bigger names like Street Fighter or Tekken but Budokai 3 and following are pretty good by anime fighting game standards. In fact, when you compare them to Tenkaichi, it is Street Fighter.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.