New Budokai/Burst Limit styled game?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

budokaifanatic007
Regular

New Budokai/Burst Limit styled game?

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:41 pm

So as you guys know E3 is around the corner and Bandai is supposedly going to be there and I've been seeing a lot of big youtubers praising the old Budokai games and Burst Limit has been a hot topic for some reason lately. Rhyme also made his annual Dbz game speculation/wants video and he mentioned that the games that are longing for a return are the Budokai style 2.5 games. My point is, Would you guys mind seeing a modern take on the Budokai games/Burst limit?
Bring Back Budokai:https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/ ... it-2#intro
Tyestor wrote:How many dicks do I have to suck to get Dimps to make another 3D Budokai-esque game again? My patience is seriously starting to wear thin with these new DB games.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: New Budokai/Burst Limit styled game?

Post by Grimlock » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:49 pm

Nope, though isn't my kind of fighting game, it would probably be cool to have it modernized. As long as the Story Mode brings something new, everything is acceptable. The only thing they can't do is to keep doing Raditz to Buu endlessly. New content, story, lore (and possibly character) is all a modern Dragon Ball game needs to have. Its style can be varied to satisfy everyone.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:54 pm

I know the casual fans will love it, but the Budokai games have aged poorly to me. They are better being left in the 2000s.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:15 pm

Grimlock wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:49 pm Nope, though isn't my kind of fighting game, it would probably be cool to have it modernized. As long as the Story Mode brings something new, everything is acceptable. The only thing they can't do is to keep doing Raditz to Buu endlessly. New content, story, lore (and possibly character) is all a modern Dragon Ball game needs to have. Its style can be varied to satisfy everyone.
Yes i agree, the best thing about the Budokai series was the story mode, cutscenes and the mini games.
Tyestor wrote:How many dicks do I have to suck to get Dimps to make another 3D Budokai-esque game again? My patience is seriously starting to wear thin with these new DB games.

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:17 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:54 pm I know the casual fans will love it, but the Budokai games have aged poorly to me. They are better being left in the 2000s.
That's why I think they should be modernized and updated, look at burst limit(an unfinished game btw) that game took the right direction into modernizing the Budokai styled games.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:21 pm

budokaifanatic007 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:15 pm Yes i agree, the best thing about the Budokai series was the story mode, cutscenes and the mini games.
But they were stll retelling the series, a big no-no for today. It has to bring fresh stuff.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:19 pm

Grimlock wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:21 pm
budokaifanatic007 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:15 pm Yes i agree, the best thing about the Budokai series was the story mode, cutscenes and the mini games.
But they were stll retelling the series, a big no-no for today. It has to bring fresh stuff.
Yea that's why I think it should be modernized with super. I also wouldn't mind if they included some DB and GT.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:24 pm

Daisuke Uchiyama went out of his way to say that Dimps isn't making another Budokai-style game, so the most you can expect is a proper HD Collection with ALL the games plus online multi-player (at least for Shin Budokai and Infinite World), but even that's not likely.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Sat May 01, 2021 12:43 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:24 pm Daisuke Uchiyama went out of his way to say that Dimps isn't making another Budokai-style game, so the most you can expect is a proper HD Collection with ALL the games plus online multi-player (at least for Shin Budokai and Infinite World), but even that's not likely.
Was this said after the release of Burst Limit? Also BN are very random when it comes to styles of games they want to focus on.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat May 01, 2021 5:21 am

Grimlock wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:21 pm But they were stll retelling the series, a big no-no for today. It has to bring fresh stuff.
Kakarot sold a million or two and it did just that anyway without even multiplayer or proper post-game content.
The power of DB brand is not to be underestimated.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat May 01, 2021 10:57 am

Yep, and that is very unfortunate. People will get anything thrown at them. Dragon Ball Z Kakarot was a big letdown for me. Not just because it's just a retelling (and missing major parts, a game without Bardock? No, thank you), but Cyber Connect2 clearly didn't put as much effort as they did for the Naruto games. I had high expectations but still...

~ War of the Dinobots ~

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat May 01, 2021 7:14 pm

It doesn’t seem like there’s much appeal to the Budokai style at this point. Apart from FighterZ, pretty much every Dragon Ball game nowadays takes its cues from the Tenkaichi style.

Nosferatu93
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nosferatu93 » Sun May 02, 2021 9:30 am

Budokai 4 or tenkaichi 4 maybe a raging blast 3. would be great. Burst limit 2. hmmm dragonball games suck since a decade so no.
Hellsing

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun May 02, 2021 10:04 pm

I think now's a great time for Budokai to make a comeback. These days Bamco have realised the importance of longer development time, as they no longer rush out a game every single year. A new Budokai with a good couple years of development could really take the series to new heights. I'd buy a PS5 for it for sure.

Fighterz is the awesome hardcore competitive fighting game, Tenkaichi and Xenoverse are great casual fun, while Budokai 3 is basically somewhere inbetween. It has a super fun and addictive story mode (which Fighterz lacks), and surprisingly deep gameplay (which BT and XV lack) for those who care to dig a little deeper, but is still easy enough to pick up and play. The fact that it had under a year of development time is astounding. Just imagine what Dimps could do with a couple of years.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon May 03, 2021 5:12 am

90sDBZ wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:04 pm I think now's a great time for Budokai to make a comeback. These days Bamco have realised the importance of longer development time, as they no longer rush out a game every single year. A new Budokai with a good couple years of development could really take the series to new heights. I'd buy a PS5 for it for sure.

Fighterz is the awesome hardcore competitive fighting game, Tenkaichi and Xenoverse are great casual fun, while Budokai 3 is basically somewhere inbetween. It has a super fun and addictive story mode (which Fighterz lacks), and surprisingly deep gameplay (which BT and XV lack) for those who care to dig a little deeper, but is still easy enough to pick up and play. The fact that it had under a year of development time is astounding. Just imagine what Dimps could do with a couple of years.
Or a new type of game.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon May 03, 2021 8:50 am

sangofe wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:12 am Or a new type of game.
The OP specifically asked about Budokai, so I answered that question. And at this point we've had Xenoverse, Fighterz, and Kakarot, so it's not like we haven't already had some diversity.

Meanwhile there's many people who still consider Budokai 3 (or Infinite World for those who played it) to be the pinnacle of Dragon Ball games, or at least 2nd to Fighterz. The interest is definitely there and I've no doubt a new sequel would be a huge financial success.

Budokai 1 turns 20 next year, and that's the game that started the huge string of games we've had since. Without that we likely wouldn't have any of those other games. I say they announce a sequel now and get the hype train going. Fighterz will still get its sequel, and there's plenty of room for Xenoverse 3 too.

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Mon May 03, 2021 8:01 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:50 am
The OP specifically asked about Budokai, so I answered that question. And at this point we've had Xenoverse, Fighterz, and Kakarot, so it's not like we haven't already had some diversity.

Meanwhile there's many people who still consider Budokai 3 (or Infinite World for those who played it) to be the pinnacle of Dragon Ball games, or at least 2nd to Fighterz. The interest is definitely there and I've no doubt a new sequel would be a huge financial success.

Budokai 1 turns 20 next year, and that's the game that started the huge string of games we've had since. Without that we likely wouldn't have any of those other games. I say they announce a sequel now and get the hype train going. Fighterz will still get its sequel, and there's plenty of room for Xenoverse 3 too.
Exactly, They put out the Budokai HD collection about 10 years ago for the 10th Anniversary so Hopefully for the 20th we can get a new game or revival of that gameplay style. Let’s see what happens June 15th.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue May 04, 2021 10:50 am

budokaifanatic007 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:01 pm
90sDBZ wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:50 am

Exactly, They put out the Budokai HD collection about 10 years ago for the 10th Anniversary so Hopefully for the 20th we can get a new game or revival of that gameplay style. Let’s see what happens June 15th.
If they go that route I hope it's a burst limit covering DB, dbz and dbgt.

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Wed May 19, 2021 2:50 am

So a while back people noticed that "Xenoverse3.com" was already registered and people speculated that BN bought it, I looked up "Budokai4.com" for sheets and giggles and apparently its been registered too(3 days after Xenoverse 3 was registered) could this mean anything? Also Budokai 5 and 6 are also registered.
https://whois.gandi.net/en/results?search=budokai4.com

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed May 19, 2021 8:41 pm

budokaifanatic007 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 2:50 am So a while back people noticed that "Xenoverse3.com" was already registered and people speculated that BN bought it, I looked up "Budokai4.com" for sheets and giggles and apparently its been registered too(3 days after Xenoverse 3 was registered) could this mean anything? Also Budokai 5 and 6 are also registered.
https://whois.gandi.net/en/results?search=budokai4.com
If that means what it sounds like it means, then Dimps is going to be very busy. I’m still not sure if there’s much appeal left in the Budokai style. FighterZ already gave us the definitive Dragon Ball game for fighting game fans, and it seems like the Tenkaichi/Xenoverse style has long since become the norm for all other Dragon Ball games.