Favorite Budokai Tenkaichi game?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ProtoWasHere

Favorite Budokai Tenkaichi game?

Post by ProtoWasHere » Fri May 07, 2021 11:54 am

Hey y’all, what’s your favorite Budokai Tenkaichi game?
I think the second is my favorite, because I grew up with it, so I might be a bit nostalgia blind.
Last edited by ProtoWasHere on Fri May 07, 2021 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Re: Favorite Budokai Tenkaichi game?

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri May 07, 2021 1:05 pm

Did you mean Budokai Tenkachi or just Budokai? In the title you said Budokai Tenkaichi but your post just says Budokai.

Anyway my favourite Budokai game is Budokai 3 for its awesome gameplay, cinematic ultimate moves, awesome Kenji Yamamoto music, and fun Dragon Universe mode. Infinite World is a great game too and arguably has even better gameplay, but the story mode wasn't as good and it lacked a Tournament mode.

My favourite Tenkaichi game is Tenkaichi 3 because it has the best gameplay and biggest roster, although Tenkaichi 2 had better music and was better in certain other ways.

Between Budokai 3 and Tenkaichi 3 I prefer Budokai 3, because characters actually play differently to one another, and have unique combo routes that can be hard but rewarding to pull off. I also prefer B3's Dragon Universe to BT3's story mode, B3 has way better music, and the cinematic ultimates just look better.

ProtoWasHere

Post by ProtoWasHere » Fri May 07, 2021 2:05 pm

Yeah, I meant Bodokai Tenkaichi.
Imma quickly edit the post.

ProtoWasHere

Post by ProtoWasHere » Fri May 07, 2021 2:43 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:05 pm Did you mean Budokai Tenkachi or just Budokai? In the title you said Budokai Tenkaichi but your post just says Budokai.

Anyway my favourite Budokai game is Budokai 3 for its awesome gameplay, cinematic ultimate moves, awesome Kenji Yamamoto music, and fun Dragon Universe mode. Infinite World is a great game too and arguably has even better gameplay, but the story mode wasn't as good and it lacked a Tournament mode.

My favourite Tenkaichi game is Tenkaichi 3 because it has the best gameplay and biggest roster, although Tenkaichi 2 had better music and was better in certain other ways.

Between Budokai 3 and Tenkaichi 3 I prefer Budokai 3, because characters actually play differently to one another, and have unique combo routes that can be hard but rewarding to pull off. I also prefer B3's Dragon Universe to BT3's story mode, B3 has way better music, and the cinematic ultimates just look better.
I’ve never got around to playing Budokai 3, though I do have a copy of it.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun May 09, 2021 1:36 pm

ProtoWasHere wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:43 pm I’ve never got around to playing Budokai 3, though I do have a copy of it.
It's a great game and well worth a play if you get time.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun May 09, 2021 9:43 pm

I loved BT2 back in the day, but I can’t say it’s a particularly impressive game looking back. It’s a big improvement over its predecessor, but it’s clear that the combat system still needed some work. BT3 is more “complete.” Even the story mode in BT3 is a significant improvement to me. The one thing I’d give BT2 over 3 is that the music for the North American release is better.

Creatful_Chaos

Post by Creatful_Chaos » Mon May 17, 2021 1:23 am

WittyUsername wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:43 pm I loved BT2 back in the day, but I can’t say it’s a particularly impressive game looking back. It’s a big improvement over its predecessor, but it’s clear that the combat system still needed some work. BT3 is more “complete.” Even the story mode in BT3 is a significant improvement to me. The one thing I’d give BT2 over 3 is that the music for the North American release is better.
bt2's gameplay has an incredible about of depth actually, look up 'Depth of Tenkaichi'

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue May 18, 2021 4:26 am

Sparking! Meteor - the roster together with Kikuchi music makes it the best Dragon Ball experience for match-ups, I must say that way better than Xenoverse. Second runner for me is Raging Blast 2, which I consider to be part of the series :)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue May 18, 2021 11:25 am

Tenkaichi 2. Although BT3 is technically better, I like BT2 the most for its Ultimate Battle (Z) and overall quality leap from the first game.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri May 28, 2021 6:05 am

I always found beam struggles to be easier in BT2 than in the third game. Couldn't tell you what was changed, though.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri May 28, 2021 7:29 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 6:05 am I always found beam struggles to be easier in BT2 than in the third game. Couldn't tell you what was changed, though.
It's the opposite for me. I could never win beam struggles in BT2 bit do just fine with BT3.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Kokos

Post by Kokos » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:04 am

Budokai Tenkaichi 3, the cut in content isn't worth the new mechanics in story mode, but everything else is great. Fast-paced, lots of characters, lots of hidden tricks & depth to the combat to explore if you want to, different enough modes to choose from, Japanese soundtrack, improved effects, improved AI... Love it!

Tenkaichi 2 has merit as well, with its story mode, the cool English soundtrack, also has more freedom in its movement & combat too I think (only know this conceptually though). I'd just miss too much from BT3 if I went back.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:16 pm

BT3 was great. I loved the huge roster and gameplay although the alternate stories in BT2 were fun. I miss that era of video games.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:20 pm

I have a fondness for Tenkaichi Tag Team on the PSP for being an only slightly watered down experience with the added benefit of pioneering team battles, as well as the original Raging Blast for its amazing presentation and general improvements to the formula, but you really can't go wrong with BT3.